The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 10 March 2018, 12:08 PM   #1
Hoboken30
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Icon20 Safeguarding Your Purchases on the Forum

Good Evening - need a little advice from the community. Looking at picking up a Batman and possibly a SS Sky Dweller or Daytona. My concern is wiring funds and ensuring that one is safeguarded with the purchase. What do you recommend doing to protect yourselves from buying on the forum? Meaning what if there is an issue with the watch or what if they don't ship it? I know I'm protected against the item getting lost as long they insure the item. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Hoboken30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:10 PM   #2
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Buy from a trusted seller. I have purchased from a few here and also sold a few. Never had an issue or worry. Good luck.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Buy the seller first. Once you wire the money you have little recourse. Can always buy all at once and fly out and pick up.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
You need to be 1000% sure who your dealing with when you wire money. You have very little if no protection once the money is sent. Thats why they say but the Seller. If you can Pay with Paypal or a Credit Card or both that would be advisable. This way you have some recourse to get your money back if the deal goes sideways. Read up in the watchout section. You will learn alot on how to safe guard your transaction. Also if theres a way to do a Face to Face or use a AD you have even more security.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:32 PM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
its a good question. How do you guys verify the smaller sellers?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:42 PM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I choose to buy from the most reputable trusted sellers. Is the difference in cash worth risking it and buying from someone privately...in most cases, I don’t think so. Buy the seller as others have said.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:49 PM   #7
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I typically buy from AD or Trusted Sellers (we have amazing ones on this forum, 100% trustworthy in my experience). In the case of a private individual, I meet in person, at a local bank/AD if the watch is worth my time and money. Otherwise I pass. Hope this helps.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:53 PM   #8
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Know who you're dealing with. If you can, call, FaceTime, Skype with them. Basically you have to do your due diligence
Old 10 March 2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Hoboken30
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Appreciate the advice. This day in age you have to perform an extreme amount of due diligence. Sad but for every honest person there are tons of people looking to scam someone.
Hoboken30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:56 PM   #10
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I buy from AD for new, and trusted sellers for pre-owned. Do some searches, and stick to the top trusted sellers with lots of feedback for peace of mind. If you want a brand new piece with no worries at all, check out your AD.

Don't overlook mint condition pre-owned pieces as an option though.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 12:57 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

Thectrusted sellers here provide superior service as well as they can probably find you any reference you’re looking for

Outside of an AD, I wouldn’t bother looking anywhere else
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 02:05 PM   #12
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Thectrusted sellers here provide superior service as well as they can probably find you any reference you’re looking for

Outside of an AD, I wouldn’t bother looking anywhere else
^^^ ... this

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 02:22 PM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken30 View Post
Appreciate the advice. This day in age you have to perform an extreme amount of due diligence. Sad but for every honest person there are tons of people looking to scam someone.

Actually, the inverse is true...

And even more true with TRF trusted sellers.

To your original question: my answer is abstinence. Timid is better than Temerity in online trading.

But if you narrow your choices of sellers to those who accept PayPal and who will generate a PayPal invoice, then you have that safety net for the cost of 3%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 02:47 PM   #14
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Icon14

Face to face meetings in secure places are also a great way to evaluate the seller and have a look at your item before you fork over the money.

If you are able to look at the watch before you buy it, you should buy these two things:

UV Flashlight. You use it to check the Lume of the dial for inaccuracies.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Illuminated 10x Jeweler's Loupe. You use it to look at all the intricate details that make out an authentic high-end watch. There is a lot to learn about what to look out for, and yes it won't protect you fully from frankenwatches, but a Loupe is a very good investment.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 02:50 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
its a good question. How do you guys verify the smaller sellers?
i wouldn't. I would let someone else do it first. And then someone else. After time they are a trusted seller and then i would consider them.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Could not be more wrong.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 03:00 PM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I'd reach out to Takuya. He will take good care of you.

But as already mentioned, do your due diligence and research the seller and pricing. Ask as money questions you want. If you're not comfortable working with a seller, move on to another, there are several at TRF that are extremely trustworthy. For most of them, this is their livelihood, it's not a hobby.

If after all that you're still not comfortable, buy directly from an authorized dealer and call it a day. Although, I will say after buying from several ADs, I almost always find Takuya to provide just as good if not better service for me.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 03:20 PM   #18
lilsweetie
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Rose/SS diamond
Ocrolexguy is also great. Lots of good feedback for him on here and I've purchased from him. No issues, one of the best transactions!
lilsweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 07:17 PM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Good Evening - need a little advice from the community. Looking at picking up a Batman and possibly a SS Sky Dweller or Daytona. My concern is wiring funds and ensuring that one is safeguarded with the purchase. What do you recommend doing to protect yourselves from buying on the forum? Meaning what if there is an issue with the watch or what if they don't ship it? I know I'm protected against the item getting lost as long they insure the item. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
You need to buy the seller. Lots of TS here. I'll tell you this, I've bought and traded my last few watches from two TSs here. They are great. And when I've wanted a watch or a trade, they have "trusted" me to send the watch or money. As such, the watch I wanted was at my door the next day.

Trust goes both ways, sellers have risks also. I am fortunate to have built a good relationship with these guys so I can have worry free transactions.
As far as the watch's condition on arrival, let me tell you for example....If davidsw or bodybump list a watch in excellent condition, believe me, you won't find a mark on the watch, and nib is nib. There are many other great sellers "here" as well. Cannot vouch for other forums.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote