The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2018, 07:18 AM   #1
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Icon5 Tahiti trip suggestions

Thinking of taking a little trip to Tahiti this summer. It's "only" 8hrs or so from LA and looks like the definition of paradise. We will probably go in June or July. Mostly looking to just relax but will do some hiking and diving/snorkeling, as well. Plan to stay on Bora Bora but I'm open to other suggestions (except the Brando $$$$!!! ). Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

-N8

Last edited by tritium8; 11 March 2018 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: grammer stuff
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 08:46 AM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Take me with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #3
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Take me with you
Hahaha! I almost said something....actually, if you'll bring a drone (and not crash it into anything).
Old 11 March 2018, 09:10 AM   #4
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Go to Morea island, it is very nice. Day trip by boat to Rangiroa and Huahine. But stay on Morea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 09:45 AM   #5
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Truely a gorgeous place to visit!
Bora Bora is beautiful, and expensive.....from the hotels, to the food and excursions. However, it’s well worth the visit. No real nightlife persay, but a great place for a quiet couple retreat.
Visit as many islands as you can for a different experience. Moorea is the closest to the mainland, and easiest to get to. The rest you will need to purchase an inter island pass, or return specific ticket. Make sure to book in advance before you leave, and it is better to do so as a package if you can.
Enjoy the trip, it’s one of our favorite destinations!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 08:19 PM   #6
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
We've been to Polynesia twice in the last 2 years.

Tahiti: In our opinion 1-2 days are enough. If you want to see some phantastic Tahitian Pearls, visit Robert Wan's main store in Papeete.

Like sleddog said, try some of the other islands. Moorea by ferry in 45 minutes and the pool in the Intercontinental resort is just fabulous!

Great and expensive food there, too!

Bora Bora is the most beautiful place that we've seen - hands down!

We can highly recommend renting a boat from laplage (don't even need a license).
https://www.laplage-borabora.com

Prices on Tahiti are high but groceries can be purchased in supermarkets in Papeete for normal prices.
Visit the Grand Marché there!
Restaurants and hotel prices are high but among the cheapest in Polynesia

From there up are all other islands and you may be not blown away by some meals that you are getting in some resorts for $$ crazy prices!

Bora Bora turned out to be the most expensive, but definitely worth it.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 09:37 PM   #7
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Agreed with this advice. My wife and I got married on Bora Bora. It's a beautiful island. We stayed at Le Meridien, in one of the overwater bungalows. That's really cool. After a few days, if not on your honeymoon, you might get bored, though.
Tahiti itself isn't anything all that special, which I know sounds horribly snobbish. But that's my recollection. It was the place you have to land at from LA, so you have to go there first. If it weren't, in hindsight, we might have skipped it. The best thing we did on Tahiti itself was rent a car and drive the island. Tahiti Iti is a fun part of the island. I guess spend two days on Tahiti, but then go visit the other islands.
Moorea is lovely. Definitely go there.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 01:21 AM   #8
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Skip the city island, Tahiti.......Moorea & Bora Bora are the two I’ve been to, very nice, bring lots of $s!
Old 12 March 2018, 07:50 AM   #9
sleddog

Another tip is to do a cruise from Tahiti.
Windstar cruises are a smaller, more intermate way to see more of the surrounding islands...
https://www.windstarcruises.com/destinations/tahiti/

There is also the Paul Gauguin. More of a luxury cruise liner, but I’ve heard to be very good if you enjoy fine dining and black tie travel..
https://www.pgcruises.com/

Old 12 March 2018, 01:09 PM   #10
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm thinking one night in papeete and then moorea and Bora Bora for the rest
Old 13 March 2018, 01:17 AM   #11
sleddog

If you can get the late night departure flight out of LA on Air Tahiti Nui, you arrive early morning and can make it out on a connection flight to the islands that day. Otherwise, all other flights arrive late at night, and you have no choice but to stay the first night on mainland Tahiti (Papeete).
Air Tahiti Nui, Air France, and Hawaiian Air (from Honolulu only) are the only carriers into Tahiti (from North America). Air New Zealand code shares, but only flies in from New Zealand the last time I checked.
Enjoy!

Old 13 March 2018, 03:39 AM   #12
Kimber007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP
My wife and I went for about 10 days last year. We split our trip up on 2 different islands: La Taha and Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is by far the greatest place I have ever visited. We stayed at the Four Seasons and half the time there we stayed in one of the large over the water bungalows at the very end and the other half we had one of the houses on our own private beach. Even though the house was more expensive (I believe mainly celebrities rent them for privacy), I preferred the over the water bungalow.

The resorts offer boat rides to different islands so even if you stay just in Bora Bora you can visit other parts of Tahiti. They also have a ton of activities you can book. We did pretty much all of them (spa days, private yacht, jet skis, 4 wheel off road adventure, private motu dinners, snorkel with sharks, dolphins, stingrays, etc.).

Out of all the activities we did the jet ski and private motu dinners were my favorite with the snorkeling a close 3rd. With the private motu dinner we had at least 3 courses with champagne, wine, ukulele players, fire breathers, Tahitian dancers, all on a private motu (island) all by ourselves. Most remarkable dinner ever.
Kimber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 03:52 AM   #13
themast
"TRF" Member

Don't go!!! You will feel miserable when you get back home... unless you actually live in paradise!

Seriously, my wife and I stayed a few days at the Intercontinental in Moorea (see the first photo from poster bondtoys) and then did a cruise with Paul Gauguin. If you are ok with cruising, that is a good way to check out more islands in comfort.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote