The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 December 2008, 07:22 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
"TRF" Member

Dependability, Accuracy, Durability

What do the members know to be the the most dependable, accurate, and durable non-digital watch? What movement (quartz or mechanical) is more resistant to loss of accuracy or stoppage from magnetism, vibration, G-force, pressure, temperature extremes? Rolex is always claimed to be very strong, but is that just the cases or are the movements also more durable than say Omega, IWC, etc. I have a relatively inexpensive Seiko I wear when in the office that since 1992 has never required anything but a battery. I have destroyed several cheaper sport watches when playing or working in the yard. I would like to purchase something that I could wear all the time. It is my understanding that mechanical watches such as Rolex require $500 servicing every 5-7 years and lose or gain several seconds a day. That is a very high maintenance expensive for a watch the requires reseting every month. Does the durability under adverse conditions justify this expense and inaccuracy? Would a high quality quartz watch such as Tag Heuer, Omega, etc. match the durability of a Rolex? One last question. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. What brand of watch has the stongest metal bracelets to keep their strong cases attached to your wrist? Thanks in advance to anyone having the answers to these questions.
SteveinArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
lorsban
"TRF" Member

I'm not an expert but I'll try answering your questions with the little knowledge I do have.

Quote:
What do the members know to be the the most dependable, accurate, and durable non-digital watch?
In my opinion, any mechanical watch will serve as long as it's well taken care of. If not well taken care of, any watch won't last very long, no matter who made it. That said, you'll hear stories of owners swearing by their watches durability and accuracy in any forum you'll go to, be it Omega, Oris, Seiko, Rolex, Panerai. The common denominator here is not the watch but the type of people who wear them.

Quote:
Does the durability under adverse conditions justify this expense and inaccuracy?
Mechanical watches are quite delicate but many innovations have been made to make it as durable and resistant to extremes as possible. These changes have made it quite expensive to manufacture and maintain these watches. But, do they justify their high cost? I think it depends what you want to use it for. If you're thinking about resale, then yes, because mechanical watches hold their value well. If you're thinking about pure functionality, then no. A digital watch will probably end up being more durable and accurate in the most extreme conditions. I challenge anyone to throw their prized Rolex around like they would a G-shock. Still, for most enthusiasts, it's really the mechanism that gives the watch it's value.

Quote:
Would a high quality quartz watch such as Tag Heuer, Omega, etc. match the durability of a Rolex?
Of course. As would any of the good watches from Seiko, Citizen, Casio. Even more so, in some cases.

Quote:
One last question. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. What brand of watch has the stongest metal bracelets to keep their strong cases attached to your wrist?
Generally, it's the materials used that makes the band durable. Steel is the most common and it'll withstand most conditions. Titanium is stronger than steel and lighter but it's more expensive and scratches more easily if untreated and is more difficult to repair. Many watch companies use titanium except Rolex. Ceramic and tungsten are also both very durable and scratch proof. Unfortunately, not a lot of companies experiment with alternative materials like Rado, Movado and some other fashion oriented brands like Chanel, Dior etc...

As far as general quality, specs, watches in general have brackets or categories. Starting from brands like Timex, then Casio, Seiko, Tissot and Swiss Army, Oris/Longines, Tag/Baume/Concord/Ebel, Mont Blanc, Omega, IWC, Rolex/G.Perregeaux, Panerai, Glashutte Original, JLC, Vacheron, APiguet, Piaget, Blancpain, up to the super expensive brands like Patek, Richard Mille. (prices from $20 up to a few hundred thousand dollars).
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote