The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2018, 06:50 AM   #1
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Legacy / Birthyear Watch

So, my first child (boy) is scheduled to arrive this coming October. *my avatar does not accurately reflect how I feel about it*

Anyway....I was thinking of getting a birth-year watch to mark the occasion. Something that would be special, that I can enjoy for a while before I pass along to my son when he comes of age.

The only caveat being that I would want to acquire it by October (so no extremely hard to get watches). I was thinking of the TT CHNR to mark the occasion and have as the heirloom (talked to my AD and am confident I can source by October).

Just posting to hear about other members' birth-year watch stories. Also to gather some alternative opinions to the TT CHNR (maybe non-Rolex)?
*my current collection is in my signature*

Muchisimas gracias

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:04 AM   #2
christopheran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO Diver
I plan on buying something like a SS submariner if my first child is a boy. Would be cool to have the AD date the card on the child’s birthday
christopheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Emoney11
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar position last year with the birth of my first and I picked up a BLNR that I am hoping to pass down after many years of wear. I am expecting it to be a special moment later in my life.

I don't have any previous experience being passed down a birth year watch but I am sure other members will have plenty to share. Congrats and let us know what you decide to get!
Omega Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
Breitling Superocean 44
Emoney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:10 AM   #4
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Submariner is a timeless piece. When your son is 18...20.... or older when you pass it on to him you know that submariner will still be fashionable (has been for 60 years) but other models come and go especially TT
Old 13 April 2018, 07:51 AM   #5
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is such an awesome idea (and makes me wish my parents had thought of it ).

As to choice of watch, I'd either go for something very timeless (LN submariner, white/rhodium dial datejust, speedmaster, etc) or something that a watch enthusiast 18-odd years from now won't have seen so much of that will have a strong association with today/2018 (maybe the TT CHR would fall into this category, maybe a hulk or a BLNR depending on how long you expect those references to stick around, maybe one of the Omega LEs from Basel if you're into that sort of thing, etc.)...

And congrats on the upcoming incoming (both the kid and the watch)!
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #6
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Whatever you do, but it the day he is born so it has his DOB and name on the papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
So, my first child (boy) is scheduled to arrive this coming October. *my avatar does not accurately reflect how I feel about it*

Anyway....I was thinking of getting a birth-year watch to mark the occasion. Something that would be special, that I can enjoy for a while before I pass along to my son when he comes of age.

The only caveat being that I would want to acquire it by October (so no extremely hard to get watches). I was thinking of the TT CHNR to mark the occasion and have as the heirloom (talked to my AD and am confident I can source by October).

Just posting to hear about other members' birth-year watch stories. Also to gather some alternative opinions to the TT CHNR (maybe non-Rolex)?
*my current collection is in my signature*

Muchisimas gracias
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:01 AM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:12 AM   #8
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I think a Speedy (moonwatch) or Sub would be great pieces to mark the occasion. The Speedy would be an easy move and you can purchase right on the date. For a Sub, if you arrange it a head of time, I'm sure an AD can help accommodate that i.e. securing/purchasing the Sub in advance and then activating the warranty/picking it up on the day of.

Cheers! and Congrats!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:17 AM   #9
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

SubC date then pass it on to him for high school/college graduation!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

This is an awesome idea. My father gave me one of his Rolex watches when I graduated from college -- it was a very special moment and still gets the most wrist time even though I've added a few pieces to the collection since then. I think doing this and having the watch from your son's birth year makes it all the more special (papers with the same date as his DOB would be the coolest). This is something I totally want to do once the day comes.

If it were me, I'd personally go with something a little more neutral than the TT CHNR GMT. I think a standard Sub or GMT is a great choice. Personally, I'd go with a 36mm DJ but that's due to my own preference.

Good luck on deciding. This should be a fun and exciting one to pick out!
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:21 AM   #11
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I think that is a really cool idea and will be something that your son truly cherishes. I have had friends do that with a nice bottle of Bordeaux as well. Unfortunately I did not think of such a thing when my son was born. However, as my son aged he became fascinated with my watches, in particular my 16610LV. He always loved the green bezel....and to this day, his favorite color is green. So when I heard Rolex was discontinuing the reference, I called up DavidSW and purchased one for him. He has no idea, not even my wife knows as its sitting in the safe deposit box at the bank. He is going to receive on a special occasion, such as graduating college or when he gets married. I am thinking the latter, but who knows.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:25 AM   #12
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I was thinking of getting a birth-year watch to mark the occasion. Something that would be special, that I can enjoy for a while before I pass along to my son when he comes of age. Confident I can source by October).Some alternative opinions (maybe non-Rolex)
I have something different for you.It'll be available by October. Get all of 'em!
✓ 35th Anniversary GMW-B 5000 LE Silver
✓ 25th Anniversary Seamaster 300M Diver Titanium Tantalum Sedna Gold Ti-Tan-18K SG LE/2500
✓50th Anniversary Seiko Hi Beat SLA025 LE/1500
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 08:36 AM   #13
rl96701
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Maybe try and pick up a Basel 2018 release?
•Pepsi GMT
•Root Beer GMT
•Pepsi Tudor GMT
•Tudor BlackBay 58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rl96701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 12:59 AM   #14
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Standard/classic watches like the sub ND or a speedmaster would certainly make the most sense. Maybe a RO?
My problem with a sub, standard gmt or speedmaster is I already have one. I’m being a bit selfish here, but I’m likely going to be using this watch in my rotation for 18 years or so. Haha

Old 14 April 2018, 01:40 AM   #15
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
I would recommend you buy what you want to wear and enjoy as of now. In my point of view, you wearing the watch and making memories with it is far more important when handed down to your son then what day the papers are dated or what style of watch it is.

This is a great gesture for your future son also and congratulations
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 01:44 AM   #16
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I thought about doing this, and then I just realized that I was rationalizing trying to buy a watch for myself (which I did end up doing). LOL.

While I do love my watches in part because of the legacy that I can pass them on eventually to my children, I think that my kids would likely rather obtain a brand new watch for their college graduation at some point in the future 15-20 years from now (assuming people are even still into automatic mechanical watches then). Who knows what their preference for style might be at that point. I also think the idea of buying a watch and chucking it in the safe for 20 years is not the best idea for me, and I think more likely that my kids might prefer some newer model at that point later in their lives. If my child actually becomes a watch enthusiast, I think that they would appreciate all that vintage stuff and history, but I'm not sure how likely that will be, and if I had to guess, the likelihood will be extremely low for my kids. Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck and congratulations!
Old 14 April 2018, 03:21 AM   #17
LakeshowMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I’m planning on buying myself —- I mean my son— a bluesy sub and have that be a special piece for him when he’s ready years later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeshowMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:42 AM   #18
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
I would recommend you buy what you want to wear and enjoy as of now. In my point of view, you wearing the watch and making memories with it is far more important when handed down to your son then what day the papers are dated or what style of watch it is.

This is a great gesture for your future son also and congratulations
I think this is the route I’m going to take. I think it’ll be more special if it’s a watch I’ve worn, instead of one I socked away somewhere.

Appreciate the kind words.