The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 April 2018, 10:58 PM   #1
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
do you consider your Rolex or other luxury watch as a part of your ''total''

Anyone here, recently i heard a story from a dude who putted serious like 80% of his money to watches where he known from that they wont loose a lot of value. Now this is a bit extreme, but i consider it not as crazy as the dude was a watch dealer himself and he just liked a serious amount of watches rather than a serious amount of cash in his bank account(now i think this wasn't wrong in his case either) but i'm unsure.
Now offcourse, certain ROLEX,AP,PP and few other watches don't depreciate a lot value-wise, i won't call it an investment as you buy it for pure joyment and i'd rather invest in stocks or savings than a watch if the idea was purely to ''make or gain money'' but do you consider your watch(es)(collection) as a wealth preserver? I mean, there are more crazy things to do in life...... Buying new cars, spending serious amount of cash on luxury clothing that are garbage after a year or 2....
Do you consider it as a serious part of your net worth? Or do you see it as ''just'' a watch and money gone?
Offcourse i understand that if you buy certain brands ur money would be gone for a big part, especially when bought new.. But to me these brands are also not so interessing mostly as i just don't like there watches.

what do you think about this guys?
Rocking more cool watches from ur hard earned money and having less savings or more savings and less fun with watches
Old 18 April 2018, 11:00 PM   #2
dafuture
"TRF" Member

No, not at all. A watch is not something I consider an asset. It's something I wear to enjoy.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:06 PM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

I think this would be situation dependent.

If you have a $8000 Rolex or two....then no. If you have a couple Patek Grand Complications....how can you not count that as part of your worth? That’s worth more than a lot of people’s homes...
Old 18 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
yes i count my total several times a week and every time when i am doing this i make sure to include the projected sales value of all of my easily sold timepieces such as rollys to a trusted seller i think this is a good way to make sure that your total calculation is a good calculation
Old 18 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #5
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
No, not at all. A watch is not something I consider an asset. It's something I wear to enjoy.
I know, but that is not exactly what i mean.
Offcourse the first part of buying a watch is that you need to enjoy it, secondly i won't gamble on watches that they appriciate in value... I think thats not a good thing to do, and also a stupid way to buy a wristwatch in the first place.
But do you consider your luxury watches as a ''wealth'' preservator?
So that instead of having your money(which would gain in savings)
you have a few or a lot of beautifull timepieces that you enjoy while they still keep pretty good resale-value(so if ever necesarry can sell it off.)
Old 18 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

weirdly enough i have an easier time buying a lot of luxury watches vs a range rover.... neither are investments but the watch has more residual value in 10 years.

Neither come at the expense of a proper savings and retirement portfolio. I would count them as assets though and they should not make up the bulk of what you own.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 April 2018, 11:10 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 18 April 2018, 11:13 PM   #8
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I think this would be situation dependent.

If you have a $8000 Rolex or two....then no. If you have a couple Patek Grand Complications....how can you not count that as part of your worth? That’s worth more than a lot of people’s homes...
Yes i think those watches are also purely collectors items rather than watches build to way as a daily lol
Don't forget that there are serious poor people where 2 Rolexes of 8000 dollars would be more than they are be able to save in many years to them the situation of a millionaire with a few PP grand complications versus the less wealth common-men with a couple of 8000 steel rolexes would maybe be equally to the normal man..
The more we have the less we fell it is i guess
Old 18 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #9
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

For the majority of us, the answer is no. However, for certain collectors of high-line, six figure plus complications the answer is probably yes. I can't see why it wouldn't factor into their net worth, jut like a jewelry collection.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #10
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
weirdly enough i have an easier time buying a lot of luxury watches vs a range rover.... neither are investments but the watch has more residual value in 10 years.

Neither come at the expense of a proper savings and retirement portfolio. I would count them as assets though and they should not make up the bulk of what you own.
land rovers are bad buys in any way i guess?????? We used to have a brand new freelander in year 2000 or so, that car was more broken than it was driving.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #11
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Maybe the OP should invest in an English tutor rather than watches. That was painful to read.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:18 PM   #12
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
Maybe the OP should invest in an English tutor rather than watches. That was painful to read.
I'm sorry, not my native language.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:18 PM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
No, not really. But I do think of them in terms of valuables that I plan on passing to my kids...and they can either sell them to help them get started after school or keep a few to remember dad.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:20 PM   #14
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Not that that would be an great excuse nowadays seeing all those ''excellent speaking'' newcomers to the UK... Congratulations with that victory by the way.. However, i am not living in a English-talking country either.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:24 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Ouch...that's kind of harsh, isn't it?
Old 18 April 2018, 11:27 PM   #16
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Not that that would be an great excuse nowadays seeing all those ''excellent speaking'' newcomers to the UK... Congratulations with that victory by the way.. However, i am not living in a English-talking country either.
What's that got to do with your punctuation and non-capitalising the letter 'I'? Didn't think these rules were exclusive to English.

At least you didn't confuse 'then' with 'than' like so many native speakers here do

In answer to your question, I think many do see Rolex watches as part of their net worth. Flipping for profit and only liking the hard-to-get models is clearly all about the money.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:31 PM   #17
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
So long as you use realistic valuations of your watches (I.e. what you’d get for selling to a dealer), I see no problem including the figures in your net worth. Rolex is as close to a cash equivalent as one can get.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:35 PM   #18
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
I include the asset value (at cost basis) on my personal balance sheet.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:38 PM   #19
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'm guessing from reading above, it depends on the watches and situation.

For me? No, I do not.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:38 PM   #20
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's that got to do with your punctuation and non-capitalising the letter 'I'? Didn't think these rules were exclusive to English.

At least you didn't confuse 'then' with 'than' like so many native speakers here do

In answer to your question, I think many do see Rolex watches as part of their net worth. Flipping for profit and only liking the hard-to-get models is clearly all about the money.
I know this would be a weak excuse...
But i have a anxiety dissorder with OCD which tells me how to make a certain pattern in my words and phrases. Not understandable for others but i get stressed completely when i don't do it that way.. When i was young my language skills used to be quite good( especially my native language.
But i kicked of school at age 15, and since elementary school(age 12) i havent had any teaching at all anymore.......... Since age 15 i am unemployed and ''to madd'' to work without many social contacts so at some time in life you see that your brain doesn't work as properly anymore... Now this whole story sounds completely ridiculous, and i agree it certainly is... But sometimes your background is literally stabbing your ass all day long whereever you go or try.. This offcourse isn't a dream-situation but it is what it is right?
Now i am not so ashamed of my situation to not post it on here as a answer on your part as luckely i have ok money, thats a big + and i don't have to prove anybody anything anymore either...
Offcourse it would be beautifull to just do something with my life but yes.. the circumstances for me are really not so good i'm afraid...
Old 18 April 2018, 11:42 PM   #21
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I prefer having one or more Rolex to a big bank account. They can be quickly transformed into cash but, unless I have urgencies, will stay with me. Cash can go away quickly and for stupid reasons. Giving away a Rolex is a harder step. 😊
Old 18 April 2018, 11:45 PM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Not even a little bit.

To me, they are a liability.

I’m always thinking what I do in worst case scenario (step just before Armageddon). And if that hits, I can’t very well use my watches as a trade because if worst case scenario hits, no one is buying watches.

My watches are pure liability.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 18 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #23
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Datejust View Post
I prefer having one or more Rolex to a big bank account. They can be quickly transformed into cash but, unless I have urgencies, will stay with me. Cash can go away quickly and for stupid reasons. Giving away a Rolex is a harder step. 😊
Yes exactly, thats a good point. If you are a naturel spender it would be a great purchase! Some people feel certain need to spend there hard earned cash or so, they are better of buying gold,Rolexes than spending it on stupid stuff with almost no resale value....
Also we need a bit of enjoyment sometimes in this grey world
Old 18 April 2018, 11:54 PM   #24
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Not even a little bit.

To me, they are a liability.

I’m always thinking what I do in worst case scenario (step just before Armageddon). And if that hits, I can’t very well use my watches as a trade because if worst case scenario hits, no one is buying watches.

My watches are pure liability.
This.

Here is the US food, water, and ammo would have a better value should a SHTF event occur.

This of course is if a serious prolonged event occurred, not something like a hurricane or recoverable event.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:55 PM   #25
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
This.

Here is the US food, water, and ammo would have a better value should a SHTF event occur.

This of course is if a serious prolonged event occurred, not something like a hurricane or recoverable event.
But when this all happens your bank-account is faded to... Money won't be worth a penny and perhaps the best investment is gold than.
Are you guys preppers or what?
Old 18 April 2018, 11:56 PM   #26
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes i think those watches are also purely collectors items rather than watches build to way as a daily lol
Don't forget that there are serious poor people where 2 Rolexes of 8000 dollars would be more than they are be able to save in many years to them the situation of a millionaire with a few PP grand complications versus the less wealth common-men with a couple of 8000 steel rolexes would maybe be equally to the normal man..
The more we have the less we fell it is i guess
No they're not all collector's items. There are plenty of guys who wear $100k watches like it's nothing. Just because you have a bunch of threads, where people act scared to wear there SS sport Rolex in a swimming pool, doesn't mean everybody thinks that way.

I'm by no means a millionaire or in the position to buy a $100k watch, and in no way am 'looking down' on somebody who can only afford a single Rolex. Just being realistic, that if you have to claim an $8000 timepiece as part of your 'net worth', you probably shouldn't have been buying that to begin with. That would have been a much smarter decision to put into something else.

Watches are simply fashion accessories in modern day. This is like asking a woman if she considers her Hermes Birkin or Chanel purse part of her net worth.
Old 19 April 2018, 12:02 AM   #27
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

That’s just crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19 April 2018, 12:04 AM   #28
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
No they're not all collector's items. There are plenty of guys who wear $100k watches like it's nothing. Just because you have a bunch of threads, where people act scared to wear there SS sport Rolex in a swimming pool, doesn't mean everybody thinks that way.

I'm by no means a millionaire or in the position to buy a $100k watch, and in no way am 'looking down' on somebody who can only afford a single Rolex. Just being realistic, that if you have to claim an $8000 timepiece as part of your 'net worth', you probably shouldn't have been buying that to begin with. That would have been a much smarter decision to put into something else.
It is more of an ''educational'' question than for myself. For my self, i have enough money to buy my self a few nice watches, and i have enough money to go on holliday a few times a year+ no debts and enough money to live my life as a ''normal'' man.. Not enough money to drive luxury cars, doing pleasure flights with my own airplane, but luckily this kind of ''behaviour'' doesn't fit my person to... So as far for me, as a unemployed 27-year old guy with a working wife i am in absolute no money ''need'' or whatever, my life isn't extravagance and i'm not interessed in buying underwear of LV, underwear where my balls are hanging out are namely just doing fine at the squat rack in the gym)) but a few nice steel watches and 3 times a year on a nice holliday with possibility's to expand that and having the ability to also save some money is enough for me now.. Buying 100.000$ watches wont be in my possibility's lol
Old 19 April 2018, 12:07 AM   #29
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is more of an ''educational'' question than for myself. For my self, i have enough money to buy my self a few nice watches, and i have enough money to go on holliday a few times a year+ no debts and enough money to live my life as a ''normal'' man.. Not enough money to drive luxury cars, doing pleasure flights with my own airplane, but luckily this kind of ''behaviour'' doesn't fit my person to... So as far for me, as a unemployed 27-year old guy with a working wife i am in absolute no money ''need'' or whatever, my life isn't extravagance and i'm not interessed in buying underwear of LV, underwear where my balls are hanging out are namely just doing fine at the squat rack in the gym)) but a few nice steel watches and 3 times a year on a nice holliday with possibility's to expand that and having the ability to also save some money is enough for me now.. Buying 100.000$ watches wont be in my possibility's lol

Still don't really understand what you're even getting at with your responses.

If what you're stating is
-you're unemployed
-own nothing to your name but a few SS Rolex models
-go on a few nice vacations a year

.....then perhaps you should think about selling those and investing into other stuff seeing as you have zero assets Confused...how do *you* have money for vacations, and are wanting to save money, if you're unemployed? or did you mean 'my wife pays for me vacations and gives me a stipend'.
Old 19 April 2018, 12:08 AM   #30
tac34vt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2-DJ2-SubC-SD43
I do not consider them part of my portfolio, nor an investment of any kind. I wear all my watches, and while they do hold (most) of their value very well, I've never bought one with the thought of ever selling it. They're destined for my kids.
Closed Thread