The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 July 2018, 03:41 PM   #1
kzou
"TRF" Member

5524 or 7234

I am becoming quite interested in the 5524 recently. I know it's a bit of a polarizing watch and doesn't really look like a regular Patel or anything. But I kinda like the combination of the dial and the strap.

There's two things that I am a bit unsure about. 1. I'm not sure if I like the case material, feeling like the white gold doesn't quite pop as much. And given that its not steel to begin with, rose/yellow gold might look better. 2. The size could be an issue. I don't know anyone with one so I can't try it, of course, ADs don't seem to have it. I have tiny wrists at 6.25inch.

Saying these what do you guys think about the new releases of 7234? It might address both of these issues. Do you guys think it will be an issue for a guy to wear a "women's" watch?

Cheers.
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 08:50 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For your wrist the 37.5mm is probably better and a standard men's size on many PPs so don't let that bother you. Many AP RO buyers at 37mm over the 41mm too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 09:58 PM   #3
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

From what I have gathered he 5524 wears huge. As Neil has said give the 37mm a try
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 10:12 PM   #4
tng11
"TRF" Member

I have a similar sized wrist to you and I got to try both at the Geneva Salon:

What was interesting to me was that the size difference looked smaller in the pictures than I thought it did while handling the pieces in person.

I don't think it matters on bit whether a watch is labeled "ladies" or not, so long as it fits you and isn't encrusted with diamonds.

The 37mm I thought was a great idea in theory, but it didn't really do anything for me in person. The wristshot exaggerates the size of the 5524, and I do prefer its proportions over the 7234. The 7234 just feels out of proportion, as it is rather thick for a watch of its diameter (exact same problem the 15450 suffers from.)

Also, I was not a huge fan of the RG, and far prefer the white gold/blue matte dial of the 5524G. RG in a pilot's watch is not my cup of tea.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:25 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I prefer the WG blue dial, but saw both in real, and the movement is definitely better adapted for the 37mm, it's just really too small for the 42mm, a little ridiculous even, that's one of the things for which Patek is a little too lazy, you make a 42mm watch you don't put a movement which is so small...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:26 AM   #6
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Have you considered the 5522? With its large steel case I think it has what you’re after.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 03:42 AM   #7
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I have a similar sized wrist to you and I got to try both at the Geneva Salon:

What was interesting to me was that the size difference looked smaller in the pictures than I thought it did while handling the pieces in person.

I don't think it matters on bit whether a watch is labeled "ladies" or not, so long as it fits you and isn't encrusted with diamonds.

The 37mm I thought was a great idea in theory, but it didn't really do anything for me in person. The wristshot exaggerates the size of the 5524, and I do prefer its proportions over the 7234. The 7234 just feels out of proportion, as it is rather thick for a watch of its diameter (exact same problem the 15450 suffers from.)

Also, I was not a huge fan of the RG, and far prefer the white gold/blue matte dial of the 5524G. RG in a pilot's watch is not my cup of tea.
Thanks so much for the pictures. Although I don't know if it's me or they really do look super similar in size. I literally have to compare the position of the subdial to tell which one is which. Did they feel really similar on the wrist as well?
Old 4 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #8
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Have you considered the 5522? With its large steel case I think it has what you’re after.
I kinda feel like having a bit more of a complication on the dial with the GMT function vs the 5522. Although I definitely agree that a steel case, even at a similar price point i'd say, would work really well, but I guess they already have that covered with the 5164 and 5990.
Old 4 July 2018, 03:45 AM   #9
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I prefer the WG blue dial, but saw both in real, and the movement is definitely better adapted for the 37mm, it's just really too small for the 42mm, a little ridiculous even, that's one of the things for which Patek is a little too lazy, you make a 42mm watch you don't put a movement which is so small...
I think I probably really should go find it in the flesh to see what it looks like.
Old 4 July 2018, 03:49 AM   #10
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzou View Post
Thanks so much for the pictures. Although I don't know if it's me or they really do look super similar in size. I literally have to compare the position of the subdial to tell which one is which. Did they feel really similar on the wrist as well?
In the pictures on my wrist they looked really similar, but the 5524 was noticeably bigger and had more heft. I don't know how to explain how those pictures came out.
Old 4 July 2018, 03:52 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
In the pictures on my wrist they looked really similar, but the 5524 was noticeably bigger and had more heft. I don't know how to explain how those pictures came out.
Yes, the pics are far too close in to give a proper comparison, you can vaguely tell one is smaller but really a mirror shot would be the best depiction, they will be very different in real life.

If you can't see one just try on an Omega Planet Ocean 42 and 45 and you will see the same kind of delta.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 04:56 AM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Now way 5524 works on 6.25
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 07:10 AM   #13
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about the on wrist feel. Does the smalle 7234 wear and fit well, despite the thicker case by proportion?
Old 4 July 2018, 07:11 AM   #14
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Now way 5524 works on 6.25
I'm inclined to think this is gonna be exactly the case. Perhaps the rose gold case would make it seem a little smaller?
Old 4 July 2018, 07:12 AM   #15
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, the pics are far too close in to give a proper comparison, you can vaguely tell one is smaller but really a mirror shot would be the best depiction, they will be very different in real life.

If you can't see one just try on an Omega Planet Ocean 42 and 45 and you will see the same kind of delta.
Would you think the 7234 would be avaialbe at ADs? or would they also be quite difficult to find?
Old 4 July 2018, 07:39 AM   #16
Sam Philip
Banned

I don't think 5524R and 7234R would be difficult to find with all the attention going to 5968A, 5740G and 5270P. I was told those would be available back end of this year
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 08:08 AM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I don't think 5524R and 7234R would be difficult to find with all the attention going to 5968A, 5740G and 5270P. I was told those would be available back end of this year
In general, I'm getting the impression that 5524Gs are becoming more readily available. I've heard a few reports of them being available at ADs without a wait, and I know others that have quoted me a short wait for one.

It's a nice piece, but I have trouble with forking out so much coin for a watch I could really only fit into the rotation once a week.
Old 4 July 2018, 09:11 AM   #18
soundserious
"TRF" Member

One thing I like on these is the screw down pushers. Very nice touch.
Old 4 July 2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
In general, I'm getting the impression that 5524Gs are becoming more readily available. I've heard a few reports of them being available at ADs without a wait, and I know others that have quoted me a short wait for one.

It's a nice piece, but I have trouble with forking out so much coin for a watch I could really only fit into the rotation once a week.
5524Gs are more readily available now and some grey dealers can't move those despite listing below MSRP
Old 4 July 2018, 09:22 AM   #20
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good point. Given the choice, would you choose the 5990 or 5524?
Old 4 July 2018, 09:25 AM   #21
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:

I don’t think the 5524 is rare anymore, and there doesn’t seem to be much demand. Watchfinder have had three since Feb / March that aren’t selling.

I was a bit annoyed they’ve produced so many - the original was supposed to be a one off pilot watch, but then it was followed by the 5522 and now 2 rose gold models.

Back in 2015 TS said in an interview “I didn’t want to launch a pilot’s watch line because it’s not a field I should go into. This was just one shot, just to show I am able to do something different. Maybe in the future, there will be different models, but even that I’m not so sure of.”

He did leave himself the option of expanding the line, but the message was this was expected to be “one shot”.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 09:26 AM   #22
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I got both and 5990 gets significant more wrist time than the 5524G
Old 4 July 2018, 09:50 AM   #23
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I got both and 5990 gets significant more wrist time than the 5524G
That's interesting. If I'm not mistaken, 5990 is fairly large and thick as well right? 40.5mm? Can you share a wrist shot with both if possible?
Old 4 July 2018, 09:57 AM   #24
Donjo
"TRF" Member

Would anyone here choose the 5712 over the 5524 if they were the same money?
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:07 AM   #25
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
That's interesting. If I'm not mistaken, 5990 is fairly large and thick as well right? 40.5mm? Can you share a wrist shot with both if possible?
5990 is thicker than the 5524G. My 5524G is with my AD as they had to send it to Patek for regulation
Old 4 July 2018, 11:22 AM   #26
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5990. I wear it with a suit all the time and it looks great. The 5524G would be a little over the top for my business attire, though I do see people wearing IWC BPs with suits all the time too.
Old 4 July 2018, 11:31 AM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I don’t think the 5524 is rare anymore, and there doesn’t seem to be much demand. Watchfinder have had three since Feb / March that aren’t selling.

I was a bit annoyed they’ve produced so many - the original was supposed to be a one off pilot watch, but then it was followed by the 5522 and now 2 rose gold models.

Back in 2015 TS said in an interview “I didn’t want to launch a pilot’s watch line because it’s not a field I should go into. This was just one shot, just to show I am able to do something different. Maybe in the future, there will be different models, but even that I’m not so sure of.”

He did leave himself the option of expanding the line, but the message was this was expected to be “one shot”.
I've given up on what comes out of TS' mouth. He talked about discontinuing the Nautilus and Patek not becoming a one watch company, it had the directly opposite effect. He talked about the 5522 being geared towards younger collectors and giving them a chance to enter the brand, when it ended up being a gong show and it became a fight between VIPs to land one.

And indeed, it does seem like 5524G prices are starting to dip below MSRP just from a quick search on Chrono24... If I could get one at the UK VAT free price, then I'd give it some serious thought.
Old 4 July 2018, 12:53 PM   #28
kzou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've given up on what comes out of TS' mouth. He talked about discontinuing the Nautilus and Patek not becoming a one watch company, it had the directly opposite effect. He talked about the 5522 being geared towards younger collectors and giving them a chance to enter the brand, when it ended up being a gong show and it became a fight between VIPs to land one.

And indeed, it does seem like 5524G prices are starting to dip below MSRP just from a quick search on Chrono24... If I could get one at the UK VAT free price, then I'd give it some serious thought.
I see some in the 45-49k range right now, so I think its just a matter of time that they'll start to come down a little bit.
Also saw some 5524R for like 55k. Have these even started to hit the market now?
Old 4 July 2018, 03:01 PM   #29
kuota_kalibur
"TRF" Member

Here's a side by side pic

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (126.3 KB, 435 views)
kuota_kalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 03:03 PM   #30
kuota_kalibur
"TRF" Member

It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjo View Post
Would anyone here choose the 5712 over the 5524 if they were the same money?
Depends on your collection and the watches you have.

If 1st or 2nd watch, 5712/1a. But If you have several, 5524 can be unique.
kuota_kalibur is offline   Reply With Quote