The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

GS Service Times (if sending back to Japan)

Back in May, I took my 1-year old SBGC219 Ceramic Spring Drive Chronograph back to the AD to have them look at a problem with the chronograph minute counter. Basically, the minute counter would continue to run, even after I stopped the chronograph. The AD confirmed the problem and sent to the Seiko service center in Taipei, which then confirmed the problem as well and said they had to send the watch back to Japan for service (not sure if it was because of the SD movement or a more complicated SD chronograph movement).

I was initially told that it would take 2-3 months to get my watch back. Last week was 3 months and still no word from my AD or Seiko. My AD didn't know how long it would take and didn't seem to have any way of checking the status.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had sent their GS watch back to service in Japan and how long it took to get your watch back.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

I'm told by my local Seiko agence it will be about 3 months.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I guess it depends where you live. There's a service centre in HK which, I believe, has been open since the 1960s, that does quite fast turnarounds...but I've never asked if they service Spring Drives. They have them in Singapore, KL and BKK, too.
Old 22 August 2018, 07:57 PM   #4
YMII
"TRF" Member

I can tell you about myself, same watch, the chronograph minute hand did not run anymore and the minute hand was probably loose. I had been waiting for about 2.5 months. I recommend you to ask where you have given the watch, they should at least be able to tell you the status.
Apparently, this problem has occurred more often at this type, I also heard about a problem with an SBGC221.
I'm interested in whether Grand Seiko now has a permanent solution, so please give after receipt once again a feedback.
Could you please describe the mistake to me more exactly?
Usually the Grand Seiko watches go in case of a mistake to the watchmaker who has mounted them. Spring Drive watches are generally repaired in Japan, except for smaller issues.
YMII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 12:59 AM   #5
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I'm told by my local Seiko agence it will be about 3 months.
Sounds like 3 months may be the standard response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I guess it depends where you live. There's a service centre in HK which, I believe, has been open since the 1960s, that does quite fast turnarounds...but I've never asked if they service Spring Drives. They have them in Singapore, KL and BKK, too.
There is a service center in Taipei that I’m told can service some GS watches, but I’m not sure which ones exactly. But apparently SD chronographs have to go back to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMII View Post
I can tell you about myself, same watch, the chronograph minute hand did not run anymore and the minute hand was probably loose. I had been waiting for about 2.5 months. I recommend you to ask where you have given the watch, they should at least be able to tell you the status.
Apparently, this problem has occurred more often at this type, I also heard about a problem with an SBGC221.
I'm interested in whether Grand Seiko now has a permanent solution, so please give after receipt once again a feedback.
Could you please describe the mistake to me more exactly?
Usually the Grand Seiko watches go in case of a mistake to the watchmaker who has mounted them. Spring Drive watches are generally repaired in Japan, except for smaller issues.
Interesting info. I had not heard about consistent problems with SD chronographs. As for the problem with my watch, all I know is that the minute chronograph counter would keep moving even after I stop the chronograph function, until I reset all the hands. I will say that I probably used the chronograph function more than most because I use it to keep time at work.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 04:04 AM   #6
YMII
"TRF" Member

OK, thank you for the information. It was another mistake at my watch, the chronograph minute hand did not run anymore and did not reset properly. The time minute hand has slowly moved backwards for several days, so even though the seconds went exactly, the minute hand went down after a few days. Everything looked 'as if the hands were not fixed. Now after the repair everything is great. I wear the watch almost every day, it's my personal exit watch.
I also use the chronograph function several times a day, even in the gym.
I hope you get the watch back soon and enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 23 August 2018, 04:08 AM   #7
YMII
"TRF" Member

The information that every Grand Seiko watch repaired by the watchmaker who has mounted them, I have from Seiko Germany