The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2018, 05:05 PM   #1
PugLife
"TRF" Member

ROO Diver Prices vs RO Prices

The diver retails at around $19k, but can be had on the gray market for about $13k.

The 15400 RO retails $17,800 and gray market is a little above that.

I searched and found that about 5 years ago, the 15400 was selling on the gray market for under $13k. It has since then obviously gone up substantially. Is there any reason the diver is so much less expensive on the gray market? Any chance it's value will also shoot up eventually? Or do people just not love the diver enough for this to happen?

I'm currently in the market for an AP. I could jump on a diver right now, but love the look of the 15400 after a rubber conversion more. I just can't justify the price difference right now.
PugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 08:24 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They had similar price patterns a few years ago, but then after Brexit and the surge towards certain models, the RO latterly being one of them, has seen their prices rise. I don't think that will really apply to ROOs on the whole, just a few exclusive ones.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 08:46 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I think it's because AP "choose" RO to be more limited in supply ( hence the support of the grey market price ), which is in line with industry trend towards SS sports watch in bracelet.

Not to mention AP basically savage the diver line by introducing all those grotesque colored divers.
Old 25 August 2018, 09:59 PM   #4
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I think it's because AP "choose" RO to be more limited in supply ( hence the support of the grey market price ), which is in line with industry trend towards SS sports watch in bracelet.

Not to mention AP basically savage the diver line by introducing all those grotesque colored divers.
Yep And the PP Nautilus 5711 MSRP price increase this year, outrageous grey market prices and long wait lists, pushed buyers to the AP RO (another Genta designed watch). I’m one of them.
Old 25 August 2018, 10:22 PM   #5
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLife View Post
The diver retails at around $19k, but can be had on the gray market for about $13k.

The 15400 RO retails $17,800 and gray market is a little above that.

I searched and found that about 5 years ago, the 15400 was selling on the gray market for under $13k. It has since then obviously gone up substantially. Is there any reason the diver is so much less expensive on the gray market? Any chance it's value will also shoot up eventually? Or do people just not love the diver enough for this to happen?

I'm currently in the market for an AP. I could jump on a diver right now, but love the look of the 15400 after a rubber conversion more. I just can't justify the price difference right now.
I lusted after a Diver most of last year but the 15400 is a mile ahead at least in my eyes.

I like the sound of the rubber conversion though. Expensive?
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 11:09 PM   #6
PugLife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. View Post
I lusted after a Diver most of last year but the 15400 is a mile ahead at least in my eyes.

I like the sound of the rubber conversion though. Expensive?
I’ve read the conversion kit is around $1300.

I tried to post a picture I’ve saved, but I guess I have to get my post count up before I can actually post it.
PugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 02:16 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I think SS bracelets are more popular with a greater number of people, Grey market pricing reflects this. Some notable exceptions like the PP Aquanaut but this is more an exception to the rest.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 02:40 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think it’s just because AP went ham dropping skittles colored divers and even diver chronos. You can always track one down.

Black diver is still a great choice.
Old 9 September 2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Looking at diver prices, one must differentiate the 15710 from the older 15703 as there is a marked difference in gray prices between the two.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 04:48 PM   #10
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
AP is playing the limited supply game. Got my 15400 for a little over $10k 5 years ago. Now any decent AP is a waitlist.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote