The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2018, 10:40 PM   #1
mj1214
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Process to get a 39mm RO

I need your advice. I want to buy a 39mm extra thin blue dial ss RO. I realize it's not easy to get, especially in this market. How do I go about getting one from a boutique? Go buy stuff I don't want from them to get on their list and wait? Or go grey and pay the 10k mark-up?
mj1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1214 View Post
I need your advice. I want to buy a 39mm extra thin blue dial ss RO. I realize it's not easy to get, especially in this market. How do I go about getting one from a boutique? Go buy stuff I don't want from them to get on their list and wait? Or go grey and pay the 10k mark-up?
You can wait it out if you want, 2-4 years. List goes quicker than you'd think.
Or go grey for around 28-29k. Id do the latter if you REALLY want one since the markup isnt that big. I'd never buy an AP i didnt want to get this piece.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 11:55 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
buying other watches you also want isnt going to hurt. Why people assume you have to get stuff you dont want is very confusing to me. If you only want one watch go to the secondary market otherwise build your purchase history but you cant start with the hard to get one. In all honesty for as hard to get as it is the premium is fairly low relative to many other hot watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 01:13 AM   #4
mj1214
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Thanks! Any trusted sellers you can point me to that has this with stickers on? I thought the premium was 10k but I’ve only seen it available once from a reputable grey on TRF.
mj1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 03:57 AM   #5
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Thanks! Any trusted sellers you can point me to that has this with stickers on? I thought the premium was 10k but I’ve only seen it available once from a reputable grey on TRF.
Just do a search on the non Rolex for sale.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #6
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

isn't there one listed currently in the classified section?
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 07:25 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you think the wait will be more than 6 months I would buy grey or bundle with another SS.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 08:20 AM   #8
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
If it’s 2-4 years, that’s way too long for me and I’d go grey to have it immediately
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 08:32 AM   #9
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

10k mark up is pretty significant. If it's worth it to you then go for the kill, but if you can get it sooner by getting another watch you want, I think that is a fairer play.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 06:37 PM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
10k mark up is pretty significant. If it's worth it to you then go for the kill, but if you can get it sooner by getting another watch you want, I think that is a fairer play.
its less percentage wise vs RRP than several rolex models and several Patek models. By comparison its modest for a watch that is both in demand and made in small numbers... its still 10k though but surely it could be worse.

IMO it would be if they listed it at 40mm as it wears like one anyway. Sub 40mm is a psychological barrier that prevents many from considering it. It wears larger than a 5711 to me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 2 September 2018, 10:30 PM   #11
binaryduke
"TRF" Member

So I’m in much the same boat. After not buying a jumbo when the opportunity presented itself in the mid 90s I plan to do so in a couple of years. One AP boutique told me a wait list (a year ago) of 9 months for a stainless 15202. I have now been told this week by a boutique in a different city that the list is at least two years but effectively closed. In having a chat with them about the timescales and then how 2022 represents the 50th anniversary so if I have to wait that long I would hold out for that, I was effectively told forget about anything special edition unless you are an existing client. When I asked hem for their view on the best strategy as I’m. It prepared to buy grey, they said words to the effect of ‘you need to make your own mind up’ and ‘you could always buy a piece for your girlfriend’. That kind of attitude is a great way to never have me as a client and I then get focussed on finding he watch I want used and they can never have margin from me.

What are the collective opinions?
binaryduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 01:47 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryduke View Post
So I’m in much the same boat. After not buying a jumbo when the opportunity presented itself in the mid 90s I plan to do so in a couple of years. One AP boutique told me a wait list (a year ago) of 9 months for a stainless 15202. I have now been told this week by a boutique in a different city that the list is at least two years but effectively closed. In having a chat with them about the timescales and then how 2022 represents the 50th anniversary so if I have to wait that long I would hold out for that, I was effectively told forget about anything special edition unless you are an existing client. When I asked hem for their view on the best strategy as I’m. It prepared to buy grey, they said words to the effect of ‘you need to make your own mind up’ and ‘you could always buy a piece for your girlfriend’. That kind of attitude is a great way to never have me as a client and I then get focussed on finding he watch I want used and they can never have margin from me.

What are the collective opinions?
IMO you need to compete with people with more history. "buying a watch for your girlfriend" or buying more watches for you or whatever is sometimes what it takes. Its a nice way of saying you are not on their radar.

Trust me if you spent 200k with AP and some walk in got a 15202 and you had to wait you wouldn't be happy. Best customers should get the hard to get watches if there are not enough to go around. In any industry, big clients get preference so its nothing new here.

Its the way it goes. I had plenty of purchase history of AP's with my AD, the boutique doesn't care so as far as they are concerned i bought them from a grey dealer. Doesnt help one bit getting a boutique only piece. IMO you should probably weigh how many AP's you even want and if you only ever want one or two just buy grey market.
Old 3 September 2018, 07:38 PM   #13
binaryduke
"TRF" Member

I hear what you’re saying. It is reminiscent of how Porsche are restricting supply on various cars currently - the difference being that the independent approved Porsche dealers are not necessarily rewarding the loyal customers and sometimes taking premium in side deals from flippers so are more akin to the grey market.

I find it odd that anyone who had spent 200k on AP would not have a 15202. To my mind that is the person to not favour as they don’t ‘get’ the brand and the provenance. A client that does is more likely in my view to be loyal and receptive in the right way to new releases. AP have two very different client bases. As a watch person and someone that gets the history I feel very undervalued by them.

My instinct unless a boutique proves me wrong and values my custom is to either buy used or buy from one of the middle eastern or Asian dealers/greys that can offers new with no premium. Irrespective of supply, it’s still a commodity - that has been produced in various forms and quantity for 46 years - in a market and I see no value in premium or rewarding behaviour that drives to create it.
binaryduke is offline   Reply With Quote