The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Difficult Times

It’s clear that currently worldwide there is a problem with muggings, robberies and other awful crimes. It’s wonderful that we have an incredible forum to share serial numbers of stolen pieces and perhaps this may lead to some of these pieces being recovered.
But, at the same time it’s so very unhelpful to start discussing which is the most dangerous country, which only descends into name-calling and worse.
Whilst we can all fall victim anywhere in the world, it’s still pretty rare if you are.
Let’s support those that have become a victim, let’s learn from their story, let’s share the serial numbers of these stolen pieces and let’s stay civil.
Thank you for a wonder forum.
Old 15 September 2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
You are only saying that because you are a Londoner!

I don’t get involved in those threads because on any given day anywhere in the world you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 07:33 PM   #3
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Um. Ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 08:44 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i agree. Its tiresome to locals of some of these places. Visitors or tourists or whatever are apprehensive when going anywhere so i get it.

Idea for the day... If you have to leave your watch at home, then dont come

What i get tired of is people leaving their watch but still coming. Really? Too dangerous for your watch, but you are still bringing your family? weird.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Cut and paste.....Um. OK?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree. Its tiresome to locals of some of these places. Visitors or tourists or whatever are apprehensive when going anywhere so i get it.

What i get tired of is people leaving their watch but still coming. Really? Too dangerous for your watch, but you are still bringing your family? weird.
I thought the ‘locals’ in London were outnumbered?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:30 PM   #7
karollaa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
It’s clear that currently worldwide there is a problem with muggings, robberies and other awful crimes. It’s wonderful that we have an incredible forum to share serial numbers of stolen pieces and perhaps this may lead to some of these pieces being recovered.
But, at the same time it’s so very unhelpful to start discussing which is the most dangerous country, which only descends into name-calling and worse.
Whilst we can all fall victim anywhere in the world, it’s still pretty rare if you are.
Let’s support those that have become a victim, let’s learn from their story, let’s share the serial numbers of these stolen pieces and let’s stay civil.
Something feels that this topic can be very interesting to develop :D
karollaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:44 PM   #8
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Why? Just ban those who resort to name calling. I find the threads entertaining and they aren't against the current rules of the forum.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 10:10 PM   #9
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Of course personal/ family safety come first, but there are other causes to travel than family holidays. e.g. work trips with unpredictable agendas in LEDCs where going is necessary, but wearing items like a Rolex will as a minimum bring unwanted attention.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 10:21 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would believe that it is no worse or better in many places for crime than what it was years ago. We now have the internet and instant news and social media so it gets out faster. I do agree that we should be respectful of others and where they reside. I also believe that if you have a comment that you can make it in a respectful way.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 11:32 PM   #11
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
In my circle and where I grew up there is this concept of “Street Smarts” which basically involves fairly rational, easy to understand concepts:

For example:
1) Don’t advertise your stash / or valuables. Leaving items in plain sight, or showing them off is a good way to lose them.
- pro tip, never pull out a wad of cash to give a homeless person or beggar a few bucks, they may take the opportunity to take it all, and more!

2) Mind your own business and keep it moving. See something sketchy? Pretend you didn’t, and move quickly away. Don’t get involved in fights, especially when you don’t know the players. Keep moving, once you stop, the sizing up begins.

3) Do not engage. You probably have more to lose in just about all situations you encounter on the streets. Don’t be a hero and fight back, lots of people carry knives, fight dirty, they will stab you. Back down from confrontations-this ain’t the movies.

4) Know when you don’t belong, leave quickly.

These might be more applicable in the US. Criminals are opportunists, and gang members follow different rules. For the most part, if you have street smarts, you will be fine here in the US.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote