The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 May 2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Well, getting one of these...

Yep. Needed to replace my old "Beater" Casio Diver's watch with a new one, so I chose this Monster:

This is an enhanced generic pic. Will post pics of MY watch after it arrives.

BTW - this is what it is replacing (still in excellent shape):

Old 30 May 2006, 12:32 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I am a fan of that baby. I sold one to Johnny and replaced it with a black Knight.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
I am a fan of that baby. I sold one to Johnny and replaced it with a black Knight.
I am pleased to get it for $155 US. Gotta tell you a cool story. When my wife and I went to see "The Da Vinci Code", some guy was walking up the isle from his seat and went past us in the dark. His watch was LIGHTING UP THE WAY! LOL!!! It was a "Black Monster"!!!

I was sold right there - not even counting the other great features of the watch!!!
Old 30 May 2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince
I am pleased to get it for $155 US. Gotta tell you a cool story. When my wife and I went to see "The Da Vinci Code", some guy was walking up the isle from his seat and went past us in the dark. His watch was LIGHTING UP THE WAY! LOL!!! It was a "Black Monster"!!!

I was sold right there - not even counting the other great features of the watch!!!
Yup, great watch and outstandign value for the money. YOu could light up a banquet ball with the lume on it.
Old 30 May 2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Yup, great watch and outstandign value for the money. YOu could light up a banquet ball with the lume on it.
I assume you LOVE yours! How's the accuracy? I have heard that it has an excellent movement, great water resistance and is tough to boot. That is what I want in my everyday work watch. I can't get away with wearing one of my Rolexes on the job all the time - it would be scratched or dinged in no time!
Old 30 May 2006, 12:54 AM   #6
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
Quote:
I assume you LOVE yours! How's the accuracy? I have heard that it has an excellent movement, great water resistance and is tough to boot. That is what I want in my everyday work watch. I can't get away with wearing one of my Rolexes on the job all the time - it would be scratched or dinged in no time!
The Monster's movement is the ubiquitous 7s26. Non-hacking and not handwound.

Accuracy is usually + or - 10 seconds per day.
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 01:06 AM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan From New York
...Accuracy is usually + or - 10 seconds per day.
Pretty much in line with other good autos. Thanks, Alan.
Old 30 May 2006, 01:09 AM   #8
mamas
"TRF" Member

congrats on the best dive watch for the $$$ imho.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Atomic

My accuracy for the Monster is about +6 a day. Not bad at all.

Yep, I really like my Monster.
Old 30 May 2006, 01:29 AM   #10
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My accuracy for the Monster is about +6 a day. Not bad at all.
Yep, I really like my Monster.
Thanks for the feedback, Johnny. Makes the anticipation all that sweeter. Should have it by Wednesday...
Old 30 May 2006, 01:40 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Johnny. Makes the anticipation all that sweeter. Should have it by Wednesday...
Did you get it on a bracelet or the rubber strap? The bracelet is solid SS (Hey Rolex, are you listening???). If you did get the bracelet, you'll want to get it sized by a jeweller, as it's held together with pins and sleeves, which are a pain. Easy to install actually, but they may fall out (this happened to me). My jeweller recommended putting a drop of epoxy or plastic model cement in each pin-hole, to help prevent a sleeve from falling out.

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with this watch. It's auto, gives time and day/date, and you can bang the crap out of it and it just keeps ticking AND it's depth rated to the same depth as the 16610. And if the movement ever does give up (yet to hear of that happen to anyone) it's cheaper to replace the movement than fix it.
Old 30 May 2006, 01:53 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you get it on a bracelet or the rubber strap?...
I got it on the rubber strap. The Casio it is replacing was on a strap as well (see my original post for an added pic of that one). I need a strap, rather than a bracelet in my everyday work. Quite often, I am working on computers, lifting and moving furniture to get at network ports, and I find the strap to be a better option for me in that environment.

Thanks for the added great info about the Monster, Johnny!
Old 30 May 2006, 01:56 AM   #13
Atomic

Okay, the OEM rubber is awesome too. In fact, I'd like to get one for cycling cuz the bracelet leaves my wrist black, when mixed with my perspiration.
Old 30 May 2006, 02:03 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes agree Seiko best value watches on the planet,IMO not beaters but first class watches.While the 7s26 is made to be mass produced,with some fine tuning can give results of a few seconds a day.But I have found that most mechanical Seiko's out of the box run a little fast.And like John said the lume is one of the best there is,at any price.And you could buy 3 Seiko monsters for what Rolex charges just for the new Daytona clasp.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 02:32 AM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Yes agree Seiko best value watches on the planet,IMO not beaters but first class watches...And you could buy 3 Seiko monsters for what Rolex charges just for the new Daytona clasp.
Agreed. I really should have used the term "Everyday Watch", rather than beater. However, there is no way I am going to wear ANY of my Rollies out to the work situations I face quite often. Not construction work, mind you, but it could eventually make a TT Rolex look like a cheap knockoff in no time!

I'm very much looking forward to the Monster arrival!
Old 30 May 2006, 02:38 AM   #16
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, the OEM rubber is awesome too. In fact, I'd like to get one for cycling cuz the bracelet leaves my wrist black, when mixed with my perspiration.
That's also one of the reasons I wanted the rubber strap. When I sweat, as I often do at some job sites, the watches with bracelets just slip and slide all over my wrist, and the strap watch seems to stay put better because of the suction-like openings on the underside of these rubber straps. Excellent for me in these work environments.
Old 30 May 2006, 04:30 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Congrats, Allan. Now may we call you The Prince of Darkness....with all the lume at your disposal?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 04:36 AM   #18
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Congrats, Allan. Now may we call you The Prince of Darkness....with all the lume at your disposal?
Thanks very much, JJ.

You can call me anything, except Late for Dinner.
Old 30 May 2006, 04:40 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Thanks very much, JJ.

You can call me anything, except Late for Dinner.
No worries, pal....you just get your sweet ass over to Auckland...and all will be well....you, me and the sheep (cooked, you tosser!!)

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 04:47 AM   #20
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No worries, pal....you just get you(r) sweet ass over to Auckland...and all will be well....you, me and the sheep (cooked, you tosser!!)
ROTFLMAO
You anticipated my reaction to your "sheep" comment before I even had time to say it! Good one, JJ.

I would love to visit Auckland, and will certainly do, but we have a visit to the UK planned for 2008, and NO TRAVELING before that date is in the cards.
Old 30 May 2006, 04:50 AM   #21
Atomic

Quote:
No worries, pal....you just get you sweet ass over to Auckland...and all will be well....you, me and the sheep (cooked, you tosser!!)
Anyone else really creeped out by JJs Brokeback sweet ass comment...
Old 30 May 2006, 04:54 AM   #22
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone else really creeped out by JJs Brokeback sweet ass comment...
LOL

Have you ever seen Carlos Mencia's version - "Wetback Mountain"? Laughed til I cried!!
Old 30 May 2006, 11:31 AM   #23
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
You are going to love that Monster Allan. I've been wearing mine to work quite a bit and I couldn't be happier with it It does run a bit on the fast side, but not too bad. The crown at 4:00 is very comfortable, and as you already know, the lume is second to none. After getting in in Feb, I finally checked the power reserve on it this weekend. Just over 43 hrs. I'm very happy with that. It's also not something you see every day. I'm stoked for ya.

P.S. I had every intention of Yao-izing it until I got it. I enjoy it too much the way it is.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 11:43 AM   #24
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
You are going to love that Monster Allan. I've been wearing mine to work quite a bit and I couldn't be happier with it It does run a bit on the fast side, but not too bad. The crown at 4:00 is very comfortable, and as you already know, the lume is second to none. After getting in in Feb, I finally checked the power reserve on it this weekend. Just over 43 hrs. I'm very happy with that. It's also not something you see every day. I'm stoked for ya.

P.S. I had every intention of Yao-izing it until I got it. I enjoy it too much the way it is.
Thanks, Paulie. I am definitely looking forward to the arrival!

Yao-izing... Like this?

Old 30 May 2006, 11:44 AM   #25
mailman

Quote:
Thanks, Paulie. I am definitely looking forward to the arrival!

Yao-izing... Like this?

Bingo. He has some other nice options too

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/
Old 30 May 2006, 11:50 AM   #26
Prince
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the link, Paulie. I believe I will go "stock" as well! I have never even considered customizing my Rolexes, so won't on this baby either.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:54 AM   #27
mailman

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Paulie. I believe I will go "stock" as well! I have never even considered customizing my Rolexes, so won't on this baby either.
My pleasure. You won't be sorry
Old 30 May 2006, 09:56 PM   #28
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman

Paulie knows I was all about Yao-izing too... but the longer I have my BM, the more I prefer it stock. If I did Yao-ize it, I'd just put a corundum crystal on it.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:21 PM   #29
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Paulie knows I was all about Yao-izing too... but the longer I have my BM, the more I prefer it stock. If I did Yao-ize it, I'd just put a corundum crystal on it.
Just one more confirmation of my decision to leave the Monster stock. Thanks Johnny!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:39 PM   #30
Atomic

Quote:
Just one more confirmation of my decision to leave the Monster stock. Thanks Johnny!
Just don't blind anyone with that lume.