The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Perry8912
"TRF" Member

Icon9 What to do....Brand new watch come with a dent.

Hi all,

I have a dilemma that I would like some advice.

The back story, after a considerable bit of research here, and shopping around local Rolex boutique, I decided to purchase a TT sky dweller, the first Rolex I have ever owned. And luckly I found the only TT SkyD in town.

After I got it, I was so excited, and I took out all the plastic cover. Then after a close look, I found a small dent on the bezel, I try to ignored it, but failed. My eyes keep looking for it.

What should I do? They wont accept any return or exchange since I took out the plastic cover. Is this normal for fluted bezel? I can live with scratches, but dont like these dents at all. Should I go RSC to pay for the bezel fix? Is it that easy to get dents?

Below is the picture. Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]
Perry8912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:58 AM   #2
peterpl
Banned

well you have 2 options

1) Return it
2) Get it to RSC and see how much it will cost to repair.

As its a new watch purchase I would personally expect a perfect watch.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:59 AM   #3
Perry8912
"TRF" Member

Im so sad with the dent on a brand new watch, and I have to live with it. Do you guys have any similar experience before?
Old 14 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #4
exador
Banned

Was there plastic covering the bezel when you bought it? If so, how were you supposed to spot the damage? I'd be contacting Rolex HQ.

Maybe there is something to be said for de-stickering by the AD
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Perry8912
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
well you have 2 options

1) Return it
2) Get it to RSC and see how much it will cost to repair.

As its a new watch purchase I would personally expect a perfect watch.
I talked to the AD, and since I took out all the plastic cover already, they wont accept any return.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you didn't spot this in the store and accepted delivery. It's your word vs theirs.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Perry8912
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Was there plastic covering the bezel when you bought it? If so, how were you supposed to spot the damage? I'd be contacting Rolex HQ.

Maybe there is something to be said for de-stickering by the AD
No cover on the bezel, only watchband. I didnt look throughly when I made that purchase, I guess that's my fault.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:14 AM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry8912 View Post
No cover on the bezel, only watchband. I didnt look throughly when I made that purchase, I guess that's my fault.
I wouldn't say it's your fault. Who walks into an Rolex AD and buys a brand new watch expecting dents in them?
Old 14 December 2018, 08:21 AM   #9
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
First of many

I bought a new Honda Accord one day. Drive it home and saw scrapes on the front left rim. Took it back and had them replace with a new rim. A month later I pulled up to grab a parking ticket out from a pay garage. As I pulled away a hear a scraping of the curb on that same rim. I know it sux to not make the dent yourself but I bet if you were to somehow spend all the effort to get that bezel replaced/fixed, in a year you will have so many scratches and dents you would look back and laugh. By the way awesome watch!
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:22 AM   #10
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
I talked to the AD, and since I took out all the plastic cover already, they wont accept any return.
Thats bullshit - goods as not as described (i.e) Brand new

There would be consumer law protecting you from that. You could probably go to your government agency that looks after consumers. Every country has one.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:32 AM   #11
DPE
"TRF" Member

You purchased a new Rolex watch and that is it. Did you report the dent in a quick time frame from the purchase date ? If it is yes to the question then you have a strong and fair request to replace the watch or the damaged part.
Does it say anything in the AD sales terms and conditions that was made available to you before you purchased or walked out of the shop about the liability of unpacking the watch and it becomes too late to reject a dent damage found. Did they offer for you to attend them unpacking the watch so it could be inspected and accepted by you before they took your money ?
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:35 AM   #12
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Thats bullshit - goods as not as described (i.e) Brand new

There would be consumer law protecting you from that. You could probably go to your government agency that looks after consumers. Every country has one.
Then whats to prevent a customer to return it when they put on the first scratch/dent and claim it came that way? Look it over in detail before purchase but once plastics are removed outside the AD/seller or its worn then its on the owner.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:37 AM   #13
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What?!? That seems completely unreasonable. I bought a DSSD D-blue this past Saturday and it didn't come with the bezel cover. When I called back to the AD to ask about getting the bezel protector just so I'd have a full set, he said Rolex doesn't allow them to provide that with the sale, so the watch is naked when you take it. They also peal the stickers and pull links to adjust the bracelet to fit. In all of those activities, they should be capable of doing them without mistakes, but they are human and mistakes happen. Should you suffer for messed up screws (see other thread on that) or dinged bezel or scratch on the deployment clasp, NO.

The challenge though becomes how to prove who put the ding in the bezel. If they removed all of those things (like they did for me) and you inspected the watch and left the store with it dinged, that seemingly would be on you. There is no way to prove you didn't get home, dent it and now want them to take it back.

What makes this even more difficult is that we are so excited when we finally get a piece as MSRP that we miss all those little details. I don't carry a loop to shop for a brand new watch because I expect it to be perfect, not dinged, dented or scratched.

So, you can ask them to help you to ensure you will come back. Their cost to get it fixed will be far less than yours. You can live with it. Or, you can pay to get it replaced or repaired. If they have told you no to the first option, you have to choose below the second and third.

Sorry this happened to you. I feel for you.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:39 AM   #14
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Then whats to prevent a customer to return it when they put on the first scratch/dent and claim it came that way? Look it over in detail before purchase but once plastics are removed outside the AD/seller or its worn then its on the owner.
Yes the seller should have tripled checked everything. BUT.....it doesnt matter. Its law.

For instance I just returned a mobile phone for this exact reason. Bought one, went home and unpacked it, found a tiny scratch on the phone and returned it immediately for a replacement.

Its actually law. I just completed a course on consumer protection rights as a part of my job and this would easily fall within that category.
Old 14 December 2018, 08:55 AM   #15
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
This all comes down to the Ad. Some are easy and some are not. We have to remember we are talking about a 15,000 plus watch not a small ticket item. My AD gave me all stickers d , coffin warranty card and all. They also told me to look watch over because once it leaves the store it’s mine. No returns period. It was on the receipt as well. In this case the AD doesn’t want to take the blame and will push it off on the buyer as his fault. It sucks man. I feel badly for you. It is to the point where we almost have to bring in a jewelry loop and inspect the watches for any flaws before leaving. I have been guilty so many times of overlooking something on a car because of excitement only having to go back. But once again it was a small item to fix. The SKy dweller is a very pricey watch. Law or no law as long as they have you on video most likely not looking the watch over I think it’s prerty much case closed. Maybe if you go to rolex service center and explain the situation they will take care of you and not charge you and arm and a leg. I know that on a datejust it is a 2,000 difference for a fluted bezel which tells me a complete bezel replacement could cost you some coin. I wouldn’t think they could fix that on your bezel. Please keep us posted how it works out for you. Good luck bud !! Once again very sorry what a terrible experience for you to ruin your moment. Such a great watch
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:56 AM   #16
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
just another reason to dislike ADs.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
When I buy a new item, especially one of significant value, I make sure I go over it with a fine toothed comb. One of my friends had a big blow up with a dealer over a damaged car he ordered. Ultimately he refused delivery and had to threaten litigation.
Nobody’s watching out for you but you.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:03 AM   #18
Rocket launcher
Banned

Go in the shop as people come in say
Hi mate I would not buy a watch from here
I have just spent 15k on one..it had a dent in it and they won't fix it...
Customer service in this shop is shocking..

Then show customer your watch saying
If I were you get an Omega or tag ..this shop is bad

Bet they fix your watch after 10 minutes
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:05 AM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Perry,

Firstly , nice Rolex.

Disappointing and difficult situation for both parties.

I am not sure of the timeline between you leaving the store and advising the store of the damage?

That damage can not be polished out and a repair would not be easy so that leaves bezel replacement or a replacement watch and it would seem that the AD is not interested in fixing this situation.

It is time to elevate this to Rolex themselves at a RSC explaining the situation with times and dates.
In your country here may be legal recourse but having been in possession of the watch even for a short time casts doubt as to where this damage occurred.
Thousands of us, me included, have scratches on our Rolex watches that can not be explained - they are scratch/ding magnets.

Good luck with Rolex, they have been know to fix these issues in the customer's favour given the right approach.

As for post 18 - good luck with that approach RL.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Going to be very hard because you took the watch home. If you noticed it before buying, the AD would either have to source you a new one or replace the bezel before taking home. Don't beat yourself up too much though, I've had similar experiences of being excited to take something home without giving it a full once-over.

I would try to ask the AD if they would be willing to help replace the bezel, they may be more willing to do that. I think asking them to take it back will be an uphill battle.

Those kinds of dents are common with the fluted bezel and one of the big reasons why I don't really miss my DD40--ceramic bezels for me from now on.

Good luck!
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 09:53 AM   #21
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I bought a new Tag Carrera from my AD. Two days into wearing it I found a ding on one of the lugs. I was 99% sure I hadn't hit it. I took it back, not knowing what to expect. They offered a discount retrospectively, a replacement or a polish. I took the polish.

I bought a Rolex homage watch on line for a bit of a lark and to use as a beater. I won't name the brand. They are well known and well reviewed. It ran 4 minutes an hour slow. Because it turned out to a bit more rubbish in build and finish than I was expecting, I sent it back for a refund. A protracted disagreement ensued, arising from the fact that before I checked it was in good working order, I took the plastic off. So they regulated it but refused a refund. For a high value watch, I would have spoken to my solicitor. It wasn't worth it, and the supplier of the faulty watch knew it.

If I bought a new Rolex and it was anything less than perfect in any respect, I would expect rectification. Buying from an AD should make this painless. I'm surprised to hear of your AD's response. Perhaps they think you damaged it? If so, they should come out and say it. At least you can then go forward. The watch would have shipped with a bezel protector and the plastic covering on the case and bracelet has nothing to do with it.

I would progress this matter to Rolex unless the AD softens. All the best with it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:22 AM   #22
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
How long ago did you purchase the watch? I knew you said you purchased it new from an AD, but was it recent or did you make the purchase a while ago?
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 11:49 AM   #23
SFmedic13
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Currently
When I purchase something of value and there is a blemish it really bothers me and I'll take it to the highest authority so this being ROLEX themselves...someone should listen. If I do the damage then it will bother me but I can live with it not the prior.

Good luck and Please update as I am interested in how was handled
SFmedic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:14 PM   #24
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
just another reason to dislike ADs.
Why? If they don’t protect themselves, then they are going to end up on the hook when people buy a watch, wear it for a day or three, feel buyer’s remorse and try to return it claiming any wear or damage was there before they bought it. The moment the watch goes out the door, it is a used watch and the buyer/owner is responsible for any cosmetic damage they could have or should have seen earlier.

It sucks that there is a small nick in the OP’s watch but it looks like something he should have spotted before taking possession of the watch. In my experience an AD gives you ample opportunity to inspect a watch before you pay for it and take it out the door.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:17 PM   #25
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Go in the shop as people come in say
Hi mate I would not buy a watch from here
I have just spent 15k on one..it had a dent in it and they won't fix it...
Customer service in this shop is shocking..

Then show customer your watch saying
If I were you get an Omega or tag ..this shop is bad

Bet they fix your watch after 10 minutes
Have fun hiring a lawyer after the store trespasses you and sends you a C&D for slander and contract interference.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #26
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Call RSC in Dallas and explain the situation. You will be without the watch for probably 3-4 weeks and maybe they will cover it, most likely your in for a reasonable fee, I’ve heard $100. Or, just keep wearing it and see how many more you end up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:09 PM   #27
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Man, I hate to hear it, but in all honesty I would think that once it leaves the store you own any imperfections. I'm not saying this is what happened, but what would keep someone from dinging their watch and wanting a new one? I say wear it a couple weeks and I'm sure you will get a couple more dings and you'll learn to live with them.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:19 PM   #28
mjr24
Banned

Maybe I am in the minority....but I never ding my watches. Swirl marks are inevitable....but in 15 years of wearing watches, I have never dinged one.

Did you pay with a credit card? Dispute the charge.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:25 PM   #29
rowlecks
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Maybe I am in the minority....but I never ding my watches. Swirl marks are inevitable....but in 15 years of wearing watches, I have never dinged one.

Did you pay with a credit card? Dispute the charge.

Some credit cards also come with complimentary insurance on purchases for x many days, and this will cover damage and theft. Check the terms and conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rowlecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:40 PM   #30
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
Many new watches have handling marks. I think it isnt that big a deal.
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote