The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 January 2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Dinkhart
"TRF" Member

Lumes on vintage Rolexes

Hi all,
I'm new to Rolexes generally and am wondering about what to look for with lumes on vintage models. I've seen a few watches with faded or missing lumes and I'm wondering if this is something I should avoid. As an example, here's a Datejust on Chrono:
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/datej...-id7788412.htm
One of the lumes on the Datejust appears to be faded or missing at 1 o'clock. Is this the sort of thing buyers should avoid? Or is it a natural part of the aging process for lumes to fade? Do lumes ever disappear altogether from a dial, and if so, does that lower a watch's value/desirability?
Thanks.
Dinkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 03:40 PM   #2
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Lume on vintage watches is going to be Radium or Tritium. Either one is going to be long since dead as the lume material deteriorates.

Tritium has a half life of 12.3 years. My 1987 Oyster Perpetual Date lost its Tritium lume waaaaaay back.

Older lume was actually a mixture of a radioactive material and a phosphorescent material.

Modern lume such as Chromalight is not radioactive, merely a phosphorescent material.

Older lumes CAN and DO deteriorate a bit into a dust which is why you will notice some seems to have disappeared.

I will let others chime in for your last question.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Lume will not be active on older watches as mentioned above. However, collectors prize dials and hands with attractive, intact, original lume, so missing lume does make a watch less desirable. How much less desirable? That depends a lot on the particular watch and collector.
Old 3 January 2019, 11:46 PM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Lume will not be active on older watches as mentioned above
Not necessarily. My 1966 5513 lume still glows, as did the lume on a 1966 1016 that I recently sold.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2019, 11:48 PM   #5
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
You would expect most 50-60’s lume to react in one way or the other. Almost all 60’s Rolex sport watches glow. At least until ~1967 something.
Old 4 January 2019, 12:35 AM   #6
photoguy
"TRF" Member

My lume experience- my 1987 Sub's pearl still glows nicely and for hours, where the hands and dial plots fade pretty quickly quickly (though they still do have a little bit of initial glow).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 01:54 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

We should be more specific about the activity of the lume. When talking about activity, some people may be referring to the fact that the phosphor will transiently respond to visible or UV excitation, while others may be referring to the ongoing luminescence that is stimulated by radioactive decay of tritium or radium. I definitely agree that both of these are highly variable from watch to watch and era to era based on the particular phosphor material and the amount applied, etc.

In any case, maybe I misunderstood, but my reading of the OP's question was that he is primarily asking about the loss of lume material or its physical degradation ... not its activity. He can correct me if I'm misreading his post.
Old 4 January 2019, 02:34 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Ah.. Lume falling off is almost always due to handling. Very easy to damage lume plots on ie Datejusts, Day-Dates and Daytonas. These don’t collapse like lume plots on early sports models. Often they are damaged when the dial is taken out of the case. And yes, there is definetely a premium for dials with all dots intact. Some collectors care a lot and some care less if the lume is damaged. Personally I could live with it on a cheap watch but I would never accept it on let’s say a manual Daytona that costs a lot.
Old 4 January 2019, 06:44 AM   #9
Dinkhart
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone. Very informative. Dan S, you are correct that I was referring to the physical condition of lume material rather than luminescence. Here's a question that occurs to me reading through the responses: if a lume is missing or degraded, is this more likely due to handling or deterioration into dust?
Old 4 January 2019, 08:22 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkhart View Post
if a lume is missing or degraded, is this more likely due to handling or deterioration into dust?
My OPD has only half of one of the lume dots, and this was irrefutably due to age deterioration. I know this because the watch was never opened or serviced until years after this occurred. (Purchased new by me, so I was able to monitor it for decades).

Handling of the dial will expose the lumes to physical damage/loss. I do not know, however, how delicate any lume dots may be.

You would have to know of any previous service history of a particular watch, and there is likely no way to know if any physical lume loss is due to deterioration or physical damage. Doesn't matter anyway - if it is gone it is gone.

Perhaps a service person can chime in here with regard to how easily the lumes may be damaged.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. Very informative. Dan S, you are correct that I was referring to the physical condition of lume material rather than luminescence. Here's a question that occurs to me reading through the responses: if a lume is missing or degraded, is this more likely due to handling or deterioration into dust?
I'll just give my own opinion here, but I think it's very hard to generalize about 50+ year-old watches. Each one has lived its own life. Some may have incurred damage due to handling, others may have had some moisture inside. All I can say is that pristine pieces do exist, so lume loss is not inevitable. And as been said already, the reason doesn't really matter - once it's gone, it's gone.

Again, this need not be a deal-breaker for you, just something to consider as part of valuation. You need to make your own decisions about aesthetics. And when we are talking about incredibly rare and old pieces, we are happy to find one in original condition, even with damaged lume. So it's all relative.
Old 4 January 2019, 05:56 PM   #12
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

What's with the big, bold green font? Is it lume?
Old 5 January 2019, 08:37 AM   #13
Dinkhart
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for everyone's input. As long as this thread is recent, I'd like also to ask a bit about identifying relumed dials. Do relumed plots take the same circular shape as original ones? Below is a 70s Datejust dial with a lume plot that doesn't quite line up with the minute markers; is this normal or suggestive of reluming?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7974.jpeg (141.4 KB, 259 views)
Old 5 January 2019, 08:46 AM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again for everyone's input. As long as this thread is recent, I'd like also to ask a bit about identifying relumed dials. Do relumed plots take the same circular shape as original ones? Below is a 70s Datejust dial with a lume plot that doesn't quite line up with the minute markers; is this normal or suggestive of reluming?
The swiss only implies it is either an early 60’s dial or a redone dial. Hard to tell from that pic.
Old 5 January 2019, 09:18 AM   #15
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
What's with the big, bold green font? Is it lume?
I'm curious too

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 10:46 AM   #16
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
I'm curious too
Rolex green font.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #17
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Now on the subject, my father had all the radium removed from his Rolex(s).

Unfortunately, this now mine 6305 (1955) has had the treatment too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.12.23 IMG_2662.jpg (102.1 KB, 227 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote