The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

116500 dilemma

Hey Guys—

This is a WWYD question.

I remember years ago reading the article from HODINKEE with Clymer and Mayer gushing about the 116500 and John saying that he could see them selling for 30k one day.

It’s sad to say, but at 22k bnib he’s not far off.

With that said do I attempt to wait and play the “I’m on a list” game with some ads and run the risk of potentially never seeing one or do I cut my losses now and suck it up and buy grey?

This is the grail watch, pass down to the kid piece. I am afraid if I wait any longer it will reach the inaccessible point for me and three years down the road when I still don’t have it grey will be around 30k.

Love and respect all your thoughts.

Thank you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:02 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
What kind of relationship do you have with your AD? What type of wait have your been told to expect?

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:05 AM   #3
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
As most of the answers start on here, it depends...

How is your relationship with your AD, if any? Do you have any "high spender" friends with a history at an AD that could potentially help you? The waiting list average is 3-4 years out here in Colorado and all lists are fluid, you are never a hard number.

The grey market price increase is subjective on the person. If you feel like paying ~$20k and that is no hair off your back then you get the watch you want and it can be on your wrist tomorrow. If you're fine waiting and an AD can get you the Daytona in two years or less, then maybe wait for it.

Either way, best of luck to you and I hope you can get one sooner rather than later.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:08 AM   #4
viper
"TRF" Member

It could be 5yrs or longer from an AD. If you can comfortably afford it, live for today. Only you can put the real value on it, it's a gut feeling you wont need to question.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:22 AM   #5
k1985
2024 Pledge Member

I think a 3 year+ wait is basically them saying you will never get it. That said, if you have patience and develop some purchase history and relationship with an AD, I think these things are attainable.

That being said, I am impatient and have paid the premium in the past
k1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #6
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Someone locally asked $32K CAD for a used 500C.
I just said no thanks.

Rather spend $32K CAD for a white gold on OF new from AD (+taxes).
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:31 AM   #7
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Agree. If you can’t get one from an AD (never know until you go talk to them) I would 100% do the silver white gold oyster flex before spending an extra 10k grey.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:34 AM   #8
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
my personal advise, build a relationship with your AD.

Pay retail and buy both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black500.jpg (140.1 KB, 1101 views)
File Type: jpg white500.jpg (74.5 KB, 1107 views)
Old 12 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #9
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Its just a watch...a nice hot watch but im sure the kid wouldnt mind cash. Dont play the game. If you can wait, wait.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #10
fett1972
"TRF" Member

If buying the white dial at grey prices buy the 116519 at retail instead. I just purchased the White Dial and bought the 116519 last month. The WG OF is superior in my opinion.
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #11
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

There are a few BNIB examples from trusted sellers here for under $20K. If I were you and knew I was going to pass the watch on to my kids, I would pay the $4-5K premium. You will have the one you want and your kids will see you wearing it. Those memories are what it’s all about. If you can afford a few $K premium now, the value should be well over what you paid by the time you pass it down.
Old 12 January 2019, 02:12 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you think Mayer is the WIS Buffet then you've nothing to lose going grey.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:12 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey Guys—

This is a WWYD question.

I remember years ago reading the article from HODINKEE with Clymer and Mayer gushing about the 116500 and John saying that he could see them selling for 30k one day.

It’s sad to say, but at 22k bnib he’s not far off.

With that said do I attempt to wait and play the “I’m on a list” game with some ads and run the risk of potentially never seeing one or do I cut my losses now and suck it up and buy grey?

This is the grail watch, pass down to the kid piece. I am afraid if I wait any longer it will reach the inaccessible point for me and three years down the road when I still don’t have it grey will be around 30k.

Love and respect all your thoughts.

Thank you guys.

While some on the net like HODINKEE advertise these crazy prices and then on the various forums people advertise what the greys are charging.Afraid now we have a new breed of Rolex buyer who just buys and flip for profit.On the grey market there are virtuary hundreds of them for sale all the so called hard to get models,afraid the WIS type today has made a rod for his/her own back.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:35 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like a buy now for you. Stinks.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's really not as much of a dilemma as you're thinking. If you just suck it up and pay the going rate, find a nice pre-owned example in good shape, then you're probably not going to lose money. At least in the foreseeable future, and of course, barring an economic downturn.

I went this exact route in the summer. Just traded it in for a grail recently, and did well.

If going the AD route, I would go in with guns blazing and buy a 116519 (or whatever PM speaks to you and they can get you) to build up your relationship with the AD. I would much rather have the 519 than the 500...not even close for me. So, that's a win-win, you get a legitimate spot on the list and a hell of a nice watch to look at while you wait.

Most of the posts I read about the lack of availability with the Daytona make the mistake of thinking all they need to do is call up or visit the AD and boom, there's going to be a Daytona headed their way. Not even close. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:54 AM   #16
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
would rather buy a YG sub for the same money and when the world ends melt it down for bartering with other nuclear families in the diaspora
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 02:56 AM   #17
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I would buy a WG Daytona before I purchased a SS one at grey market prices

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 03:03 AM   #18
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
WG vote.

Also, buy it for you, not for the kids. They won't want/appreciate/wear it, and when the first service is due they'll chuck it in a drawer somewhere.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Depends on your AD and the nature of your current status there. Also depends on your willingness to play the game. Whether or not paying over list will ruin the enjoyment for you. Your willingness to buy other rolex and sell them on your own can lower the barrier to entry but at the end of the day make sure its the watch you really want because in my opinion its just another rolex. No more special than a sub/gmt/explorer II
Old 12 January 2019, 03:46 AM   #20
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12 View Post
would rather buy a YG sub for the same money and when the world ends melt it down for bartering with other nuclear families in the diaspora

ding ding ding.

These crazy high prices on some SS pieces makes PM a no-brainier for me. The fast run-up of SS prices over the last two years has not been seen in PM pieces. Big value buys in PM now when you compare them to SS prices now.

I can't wait for my incoming post soon......
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I bought all mine at MSRP.

unfort no one knows where rolex prices will go

However, IF (and this is a BIG if), you forced me to choose one Rolex to buy on the grey market, I would have to choose Daytona white SS. I think long term - say like 25-30 years you will be ahead. However for the 1st 10 years you could see lots of ups and downs depending on the economy, politics, world events, etc, etc
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:06 AM   #22
fett1972
"TRF" Member

Larry speaks sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's really not as much of a dilemma as you're thinking. If you just suck it up and pay the going rate, find a nice pre-owned example in good shape, then you're probably not going to lose money. At least in the foreseeable future, and of course, barring an economic downturn.

I went this exact route in the summer. Just traded it in for a grail recently, and did well.

If going the AD route, I would go in with guns blazing and buy a 116519 (or whatever PM speaks to you and they can get you) to build up your relationship with the AD. I would much rather have the 519 than the 500...not even close for me. So, that's a win-win, you get a legitimate spot on the list and a hell of a nice watch to look at while you wait.

Most of the posts I read about the lack of availability with the Daytona make the mistake of thinking all they need to do is call up or visit the AD and boom, there's going to be a Daytona headed their way. Not even close. Good luck,
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:19 AM   #23
racer24
Banned

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
here are your options:
1. build relationship with your AD by buying a PM rolex. you can sell the PM here on the forum. your place on the list will jump substantially after a PM purchase
2. buy grey
3 wait for few years and hoping/wishing your AD can get you one. But as someone mentioned above, that list is fluid, few year is a long time, if you don't do any business with your AD, chances are, your name will keep going down on that list.

personally, buying a 116519LN at MSRP is a thousand times better than a 116500 at 20K.
racer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:25 AM   #24
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
If you are in a small market, I would try to build the relationship with a local AD and get it from them. Personally I choose not to pay going grey market premium. I can see 5% or even 10% premium on any hard to get item but 70% IMO is out of the question.
I think if you are in a large market, the competition is fierce and the lists are meaningless so grey or pre-owned from a private party may be your only viable option.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 04:51 AM   #25
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Personally, I could never pay that much of a premium (22K is a 10K premium) on a piece still in the current lineup. It would bother me.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 11:09 PM   #26
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
In the same position too, albeit in UK.
Am considering the following strategy:

Buy the one I want -white dial DaytonaC from grey dealer - currently around £17-19k.
Put myself down on a list (or 5!) with an AD with a wait of 1-5yrs
Enjoy my premium prices watch
If/when the AD watch comes up at £9500 (plus any increases) buy this.
Sell used grey watch for around same price £17-19k (plus hopefully some increase)
That way overall cost will be MRSP, albeit with opportunity cost with my original outlay. I am happy with tying up my £17k for the foreseeable...

Does anyone see any flaws with this strategy, bearing in mind I am new to this game (previously an Omega enthusiast)?
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 12:51 PM   #27
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post

Buy the one I want -white dial DaytonaC from grey dealer - currently around £17-19k.
Sell used grey watch for around same price £17-19k (plus hopefully some increase)
That way overall cost will be MRSP, albeit with opportunity cost with my original outlay. I am happy with tying up my £17k for the foreseeable...

Does anyone see any flaws with this strategy, bearing in mind I am new to this game (previously an Omega enthusiast)?

If you can float the cash it sounds like a great idea.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #28
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:

I think it is smart,you can even get a different dial color and choose the one you want to sell

avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:41 PM   #29
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I would buy a WG Daytona before I purchased a SS one at grey market prices
Exactly my opinion
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 01:43 PM   #30
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:

Yes, just one flaw. We on this board have convinced ourselves that SS rolexs will always be at these prices. Many will be in for a surprise. All bubbles burst.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote