The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2019, 03:14 AM   #1
malnik
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-Date-C
Low inventory along with low customer service

I paid a visit to San Francisco Rolex boutique store to seek a GMT BLNR. At first glance the shelves were half empty. Only op, dj and dd were on display. I greeted the customer associate who is a middle age lady and asked her about steel sports models. She said none are in stock and will be 8 month out. She asked me to put my name on the list. Sure I said and I wrote my name and contact info down on a form. The whole time she looked uninterested in me and I was the only customer in the store. As I was writing my info down, she hand me her card and told me to text her every few months to remind her what I wanted. I suppose the demand is so high now that employees no longer need to sell me a $10,000 watch. Am I suppose to feel happy to be considered for one?
malnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:15 AM   #2
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Same old. You actually got better service than most these days.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:18 AM   #3
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnik View Post
Am I suppose to feel happy to be considered for one?
Times have changed. Not long ago they'd give you a glass of champagne or a nice scotch while buying a 10,000$ watch. Now, you need to bring them the scotch (whole bottle) with no guarantees
PatronMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #4
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I’m certainly not going to try to defend poor service, but from her perspective the whole world wants a Rolex sport model and she’s tired of telling them she doesn’t have any to sell. Both of my local AD’s said they get many calls and drop ins from customers they’ve never seen or heard from before and it just doesn’t end. I’ve visited both AD’s more times in the last year than I have in the last twenty years and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Rolex keeps them in the dark about supply too, so I can sympathize.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:30 AM   #5
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I’m certainly not going to try to defend poor service, but from her perspective the whole world wants a Rolex sport model and she’s tired of telling them she doesn’t have any to sell. Both of my local AD’s said they get many calls and drop ins from customers they’ve never seen or heard from before and it just doesn’t end. I’ve visited both AD’s more times in the last year than I have in the last twenty years and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Rolex keeps them in the dark about supply too, so I can sympathize.
Right. It's a tough situation not only for customers but the employees of these stores as well. Imagine having a job selling widgets only you never have any widgets. And people REALLY want these widgets. You get dozens of calls/visits per day where people are asking for widgets and you have to say no 99% of the time. It's got to get pretty frustrating after awhile.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:32 AM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I paid a visit to San Francisco Rolex boutique store to seek a GMT BLNR. At first glance the shelves were half empty. Only op, dj and dd were on display. I greeted the customer associate who is a middle age lady and asked her about steel sports models. She said none are in stock and will be 8 month out. She asked me to put my name on the list. Sure I said and I wrote my name and contact info down on a form. The whole time she looked uninterested in me and I was the only customer in the store. As I was writing my info down, she hand me her card and told me to text her every few months to remind her what I wanted. I suppose the demand is so high now that employees no longer need to sell me a $10,000 watch. Am I suppose to feel happy to be considered for one?
Honestly, yes. To be considered for a model that is in demand surely you appreciate that you are the party in this transaction looking to benefit? They are handing you nearly 100% profit in today's market.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:52 AM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
There's never an excuse for bad customer service. Do your job. You job is to convince me why I should do business with your company. From a customer's perspective, if you're not going to provide good customer service, you serve no purpose at all. We live in a time where we already know what we want, and MOST OF THE TIME can get it on our own anyway. The salesperson is just another middleman that needs to be paid, unless.....they are providing good customer service.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:55 AM   #8
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
There's never an excuse for bad customer service. Do your job. You job is to convince me why I should do business with your company. From a customer's perspective, if you're not going to provide good customer service, you serve no purpose at all. We live in a time where we already know what we want, and MOST OF THE TIME can get it on our own anyway. The salesperson is just another middleman that needs to be paid, unless.....they are providing good customer service.
That!
Playinwittime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:03 AM   #9
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Imagine getting 100 phone calls (or visits to the store) a day - asking the SAME 5 questions - that they are unable to answer.

At some point you / they will be OVER IT.

**I am in NO WAY defending poor customer service or rudeness in ANYWAY ** that is unacceptable -

— but many of these ADs are JUST as frustrated that they are unable to sell these watches (for revenue) as those customers are who are looking for them.

Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:04 AM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
If you could buy a 116500 today at RRP but you know the staff in this scenario are just middlemen and don't 'care' about you are you going to decline and wait to buy elsewhere?
Old 30 January 2019, 04:05 AM   #11
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Have to disagree there. Text? She gave you her cell number. That’s pretty damn nice if you ask me.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:13 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
Times have changed. Not long ago they'd give you a glass of champagne or a nice scotch while buying a 10,000$ watch. Now, you need to bring them the scotch (whole bottle) with no guarantees
Man this is so true. Sad but true...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:15 AM   #13
calh22a
Banned

Actually that’s not a bad experience at all. The fact that she took your name and put you on their “list” is a plus as some ADs are not even taking names on lists anymore. Also, she gave you her contact info to keep in touch to remind her of the watch you want. That’s pretty good considering the current market. I don’t mind a sales associate being disinterested, but being rude is a whole different story.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:17 AM   #14
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Same old. You actually got better service than most these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
Have to disagree there. Text? She gave you her cell number. That’s pretty damn nice if you ask me.
Second these. That is actually remarkable considering it is a Bay Area AD. Not saying it's justified, but it's still better service than most walk-ins receive at an average AD, much less one in the wealthiest area of the country.

Best of luck to the OP!
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:21 AM   #15
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post

Agreed. And adviced you to chase which also makes it genuine.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:22 AM   #16
malnik
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-Date-C
Im not mad at the lady. Obviously she can’t sell me a watch that she doesn’t have. She probably already secured many sales on future shipment so she doesn’t need to worry about me. But I would imagine that customer service would be better if the store was fully stocked and sales associates are more eager to move inventory.
malnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:22 AM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m not seeing any poor service here at all. OP had to have known going in that there would be no BLNR in stock available on the spot. She took your information, gave her card, and said to keep in touch.
Not sure what else you were expecting?
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:26 AM   #18
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

The rolex ad around london have some of the most dreadful staff you can meet, last year at wempe old bond st one implied he had a sub nd in the safe and went to fetch it but then his manager had a word ie save if for a “vip” and suddenly he said sorry it sold earlier!

Not only that most are rude and made me look abroad for any piece i want (within eu so no tax).
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:32 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Afraid what some call low customer service is down to opinions,I can honestly say I have never experience what I would call low customer service from any AD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:45 AM   #20
usps016
Banned

I don’t think in my mind that was a really bad experience you had. It’s just the way it is nowadays with AD’s unfortunately. No stock and your name gets put down on the “list”. That’s everywhere. I heard some ad’s laugh in your face and throw your contact info in the garbage. My ad is pretty good with me though. I go in there frequently to say hi to them.
usps016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:47 AM   #21
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexdream View Post
The rolex ad around london have some of the most dreadful staff you can meet, last year at wempe old bond st one implied he had a sub nd in the safe and went to fetch it but then his manager had a word ie save if for a “vip” and suddenly he said sorry it sold earlier!

Not only that most are rude and made me look abroad for any piece i want (within eu so no tax).
You pay tax in the EU country you buy it.
Old 30 January 2019, 04:48 AM   #22
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
That's why I've changed my opinions on the grey market and trusted sellers. The AD bs just isn't worth it. There's a premium but, for me, the premium is worth it considering I can get the watch when I want it, I don't have to kiss the uninterested ass of someone who works in retail, and I don't have to purchase a PM to even be considered to drop another $10k+ on a watch......and wait 6-18 months for it.

I find it confusing and almost hilarious that some TRF'ers patronize or are just plain rude to other members who use greys by saying the grey buyers have FOMO, zero patience, or whatever for using the grey market, but many of those members go into panic mode because they may have upset "their AD" by calling too often, asking the wrong question, or purchased a watch at another AD and their AD may find out and not be added to any future wait lists.

Much like professional sports, player contracts are only worth it when the production on the field outweighs any off the field issues or bs on the players part. For me, we're way past that from AD's. The $1-5k savings isn't worth the groveling or feel like I'm doing myself a favor for spending my money with someone who doesn't seem to care less if I'm in his/her establishment or not.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:48 AM   #23
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Afraid what some call low customer service is down to opinions,I can honestly say I have never experience what I would call low customer service from any AD.
I agree. VIP treatment is VIP treatment, not a baseline for acceptable service
Old 30 January 2019, 04:53 AM   #24
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
With no relationship with the AD you're just some guy off the street looking to buy what she can sell a hundred times over. That's not her fault.

Doesn't should like she was rude, just not super excited to deal with what she must deal with day after day after day.

Establish that relationship.

Also, try somewhere other than SF. Too much money there chasing too few watches.

And good luck! Hope you get that watch.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:56 AM   #25
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

the irony is that if all ADs had cases full of the watches we want to buy now there would be no scarcity and none of us would be clamoring to buy any of them :)
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 05:05 AM   #26
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Im not mad at the lady. Obviously she can’t sell me a watch that she doesn’t have. She probably already secured many sales on future shipment so she doesn’t need to worry about me. But I would imagine that customer service would be better if the store was fully stocked and sales associates are more eager to move inventory.
Agreed, but in reality you’re just another walk-in wanting a sought after model.

The fact she actually took your details is better service than many other experiences I hear about
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 05:11 AM   #27
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I’m not saying that the outcome will be different, but give Geary’s a visit. They have four locations. Specifically the Santa Monica boutique. Ask for Rafael. He will treat you very well and you will at least come out of there with a great conversation on Rolex watches. Good luck with your hunt

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 05:12 AM   #28
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What should she have done differently to meet your expectations?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 05:33 AM   #29
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Guys - spending $10k on a watch makes one expect to be pampered. Disregarding the current Rolex supply situation - those able to afford to do so do expect VIP service (it is, after all, $10k for a watch).

Under no circumstance, IMO, has this anything to do with basic customer service.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:45 AM   #30
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've been in that boutique. I thought the service was pretty good as they gave me bottled water every time I go in and took my number. They actually made an effort selling me a SS white skydweller which I declined (because my smaller wrist). I do know that they don't do any discount (even on PM) and they always tell me to do financing when when I asked for discount because they pride themselves on 0% financing or something like that. I told them I don't do financing on watches or cars. Anyways, that's my experience.

TBH, I don't see bad service from what OP described. She's probably not ecstatic or over eager unlike car salesperson but I kinda prefer it this way.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote