The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2019, 12:01 AM   #1
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Ascona and Lugano: observations

Southern Switzerland trip: Ascona 2 days ago and Lugano 1 day ago. Went to 4 ADs in these two places.

Saw a total of 3 x 5230G, 1 x 5230R and 2 x 5930.

Shops were keen to sell these World Time watches - all of them said it was for sale without any hurdles to jump over.

Both watches were very popular in HK a few years ago with applications by regular customers taking a long time to fill the request, according to my AD and also some friends who waited and waited!

Also saw 5196G (my AD in HK has not received one for over a year and my AD tells me it’s easier to get me a 5711 blue!) and also 5196P and 5378P. Plus a selection of other interesting watches - 5146G, 5235G and 3 x 5960. Gondolo 5124G and discontinued 5200G (8 day power reserve).

So what’s happening here? Why are there so many in this part of Switzerland? I know it’s low season for tourists but I didn’t expect to see so many World Timers in such a small area.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:06 AM   #2
pb2au
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on day
5196 is a classic. Pure Patek

The 5930 is awesome!
pb2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Dlindsay
Banned

Almost every AD in London has 5230 G/R in sock as well as 5930G and 5960G. Quite a few 5235Gs around as well.
Dlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
Southern Switzerland trip: Ascona 2 days ago and Lugano 1 day ago. Went to 4 ADs in these two places.

Saw a total of 3 x 5230G, 1 x 5230R and 2 x 5930.

Shops were keen to sell these World Time watches - all of them said it was for sale without any hurdles to jump over.

Both watches were very popular in HK a few years ago with applications by regular customers taking a long time to fill the request, according to my AD and also some friends who waited and waited!

Also saw 5196G (my AD in HK has not received one for over a year and my AD tells me it’s easier to get me a 5711 blue!) and also 5196P and 5378P. Plus a selection of other interesting watches - 5146G, 5235G and 3 x 5960. Gondolo 5124G and discontinued 5200G (8 day power reserve).

So what’s happening here? Why are there so many in this part of Switzerland? I know it’s low season for tourists but I didn’t expect to see so many World Timers in such a small area.
we are talk about €40k pieces (except the 96G obviously, )and the economy isn t that bright as some thinks ,TBH those watches are in the easy to get category in Europe at least.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 04:39 AM   #5
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Just saw this post. I’m keen on getting one.

I wish to surmise that the possibility of a cloisonné Dial in the 5131 mold is dissuading folks from taking the plunge on the 5230 World Time model. Or because there’s an NYC Dial or the 5930 model that sort of diminish the desirability of the 5230 model. Or the abundance of the 5110 and 5130 models of the past (no factual data).

It’s a precarious Watch world out there at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 05:17 AM   #6
Codik
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love the Patek world timers. I wish I owned one, but I already have a Patek dress watch and am waiting for an aquanaut and a nautilus, so can't really justify...
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 07:03 AM   #7
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Patek made a mistake with the 5230 imo. 5130 was so much nicer. Every AD i talk to about the 5230 tells me the same story: the ugliest world timer of the 3 models. They don’t even try to sell it...

And agree that people who do like the 5230 are waiting for 5231...
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 05:42 AM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Ascona and Lugano: observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Patek made a mistake with the 5230 imo. 5130 was so much nicer. Every AD i talk to about the 5230 tells me the same story: the ugliest world timer of the 3 models. They don’t even try to sell it...

Why do you(they)think so ,the case or the dial?i tried used to be and wasnt that bad (love the woven basket dial however bit clash its grey colour against the RG)but then i was fortunate enough to have my 5131R delivered.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 06:10 AM   #9
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Bezel, lugs and crown guards are much nicer on the 5130. Especially the crown guards give the watch more character imo.

But dial and hands are nice on 5230.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:25 PM   #10
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post

To think that the watch was redesigned through the lead effort of Thierry’s wife tells you something about the miss in this initiative.

I am hoping a 5231 will be unveiled of this Baselworld 2019. Will hold off the purchase for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote