The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 March 2019, 06:22 AM   #1
rexg1
"TRF" Member

Opportunity to buy SD43

Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a SD43 from my AD today. Was wondering everyone's opinion on the value retention of this watch? Would it still retain its value after it's worn (a.k.a. would I be losing money if I buy this watch for retail and wear it)?

Right now I'm 80% sure on buying it. Just needed some convincing to pull the trigger
rexg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #2
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
No one knows. It could be worth 2/3 in a year or 2x. Good luck. And it's always worth more unworn, IMO. It's only new and unworn once.

Look at the DSSD. The black was 12 new and can be had in the 8-12 range these days, depending on worn or unworn. The JC was 12(+ a little bit) and it goes between 10-14 now, depending on worn or unworn. The 116660 was discontinued. Is an unworn 116660 worth more than a new 126660? Probably not, but maybe someday. Will the 126600 be worth more if it's discontinued? Probably.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:25 AM   #3
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

don't do it, it'll be worth half as soon as you walk out the door.

/sarcasm

another lame post. buy the watch if you want it, want to keep, wear and enjoy it. Don't buy because of value retention, hype, or the myriad of other dumb reasons out there.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:30 AM   #4
iamorlando
"TRF" Member

You are gambling. If that’s your aim then I hope you have fun and I hope the value increases.

My personal take on the matter, buy it if you like it for what it’s worth today. Personally, I love that watch and would love to get my hands on it. If it’s something you can afford and would like wearing that’s reason enough to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iamorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:31 AM   #5
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Ok it’s getting annoying now.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #6
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

If you don’t want it for what it is then don’t buy it. It is very simple.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:48 AM   #7
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Why buy it if you don’t want to wear it? It’s Not a baseball card it’s a watch, And if it does one day double in value which it probably will (MK1 dial),
Then in 10 to 12 years it will be just as desirable and you will not lose that much with it being slightly worn. Just look at any well worn original red SD $$$.
RSC Can make it look nearly new with a service anyway.
. No offense but If you’re buying something you can’t wear, you probably can’t afford it.

Buy it, wear it, enjoy it...
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #8
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Any sane person who isn’t as wealthy as the average TRF-er should have some concern for value retention.

Should it be the primary concern? Absolutely not. Ought it figure in the overall equation? Absolutely.

Honestly I do wonder if some folk on here have had their grip on what the world is like for normal people a bit loosened. The guy is talking about dropping a five figure sum on a completely unnecessary trinket. Having some idea of what it might be worth, should the need ever arise to sell, is totally reasonable and certainly not worthy of disdain.

The irony is of course that if Rolex professional steel watches suddenly started depreciating like Omegas, half the forum would disappear immediately.
Old 7 March 2019, 06:56 AM   #9
iamorlando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Any sane person who isn’t as wealthy as the average TRF-er should have some concern for value retention.

Either you like the watch, you are speculating on an asset, or you can’t afford it (and therefore should not buy it in the first place)

Id say know which camp you are in and do what you want. Both are legitimate decisions.

The problem happens when you buy the watch that you love and prevent yourself from wearing it because you don’t want to reduce its value.

Old 7 March 2019, 06:56 AM   #10
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Opportunity to buy SD43

Quote:

Should it be the primary concern? Absolutely not. Ought it figure in the overall equation? Absolutely.

Honestly I do wonder if some folk on here have had their grip on what the world is like for normal people a bit loosened. The guy is talking about dropping a five figure sum on a completely unnecessary trinket. Having some idea of what it might be worth, should the need ever arise to sell, is totally reasonable and certainly not worthy of disdain.

The irony is of course that if Rolex professional steel watches suddenly started depreciating like Omegas, half the forum would disappear immediately.

Sorry mate - but I have never once walked into any watch shop with even a though about whether a watch would hold value. Once that’s in the equation, you risk buying for the wrong reasons. I walk in excited because I want to buy it and wear it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve flipped watches, but never really made money. More decided they’d weren’t for me.

My view - If the concern before you start is losing money, don’t buy it and get something you are comfortable with.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:01 AM   #11
brian89
"TRF" Member

Just get it and enjoy
brian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:06 AM   #12
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
No one knows. It could be worth 2/3 in a year or 2x. Good luck. And it's always worth more unworn, IMO. It's only new and unworn once.

Look at the DSSD. The black was 12 new and can be had in the 8-12 range these days, depending on worn or unworn. The JC was 12(+ a little bit) and it goes between 10-14 now, depending on worn or unworn. The 116660 was discontinued. Is an unworn 116660 worth more than a new 126660? Probably not, but maybe someday. Will the 126600 be worth more if it's discontinued? Probably.
where can I find a dssd for $8k and a JC for $10k . I am currently looking for these and have not see one of them that low. but I would like to , thanks.
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Sorry mate - but I have never once walked into any watch shop with even a though about whether a watch would hold value. Once that’s in the equation, you risk buying for the wrong reasons. I walk in excited because I want to buy it and wear it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve flipped watches, but never really made money. More decided they’d weren’t for me.

My view - If the concern before you start is losing money, don’t buy it and get something you are comfortable with.

Or to be more clear - if you are worried about losing 2 or 3 grand on a 10 grand watch, maybe the watch you should really be buying is less than 2 grand.

I’m not trying to be funny, but if losing 20% on that kind of investment is an issue, then you shouldn’t be investing that money and leave it in the bank. Watches is not the place for it.

Old 7 March 2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry mate - but I have never once walked into any watch shop with even a though about whether a watch would hold value. Once that’s in the equation, you risk buying for the wrong reasons.

I think your view is perfectly reasonable. My issue is when people get ridiculed for asking a reasonable question. Who thinks it’s unreasonable, for example, to have an idea how much their car will depreciate or what the risk is of going into negative equity on their house purchase? And cars and houses, unlike watches are relative necessities.

I love all my watches. I’ve only ever sold one watch, because I tired of orange. I can comfortably afford my collection and to add to it. My SD43 is currently my favourite watch: I can’t get it off my wrist. Yet if I knew it would be worth 50% of what I paid as soon as I walked out the AD, I wouldn’t have bought it. I’d still love the watch, I’d still be able to afford it and take the hit, but I’m simply not comfortable with that level of depreciation on an item that is not a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamorlando View Post
The problem happens when you buy the watch that you love and prevent yourself from wearing it because you don’t want to reduce its value.

Agreed
Old 7 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #15
mml4
"TRF" Member

Don't buy Rolex as an investment. It is a luxury item that is purchased as the result of investment!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:14 AM   #16
iamorlando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My SD43 is currently my favourite watch: I can’t get it off my wrist. Yet if I knew it would be worth 50% of what I paid as soon as I walked out the AD, I wouldn’t have bought it.

Is it really? I would think that watch preowned sells above msrp

Old 7 March 2019, 07:14 AM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What happened to the WIS that actually knows what they like and buys a watch to wear??
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:15 AM   #18
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If buying it msrp and you decide to sell it down the road....right now...you’d at least make your money back if you sold it privately. If you traded to a grey dealer for another piece, you’ll probably lose a bit. That’s TODAY. Who knows what the future holds. That said...I wouldn’t/don’t buy with “future” value in mind! If I did, I’d never pull the trigger and drive myself nuts. I buy because I like the watch. Unless you plan on holding the watch for 30-40 years...it’s a good bet you won’t make any “significant” money.
My point is....Buy for the enjoyment ...
JMO, For what it’s worth
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:18 AM   #19
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it really? I would think that watch preowned sells above msrp

Poorly worded on my part. I should have said “if I thought it would be worth 50%...”

It’s reselling for about 30% over MSRP round this way.

So OP, buy the sodding watch! It’s fantastic.
Old 7 March 2019, 07:18 AM   #20
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a SD43 from my AD today. Was wondering everyone's opinion on the value retention of this watch? Would it still retain its value after it's worn (a.k.a. would I be losing money if I buy this watch for retail and wear it)?

Right now I'm 80% sure on buying it. Just needed some convincing to pull the trigger
Don't buy a watch if value retention is your number one criteria.
Buy it because you want it and want to wear it. Unless you intend to flip it in which case ....
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:20 AM   #21
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

agreed!

this bubble is bringing out all the "investors" thinking they'll buy a Rolex and wear it for a bit then sell it at a profit. That's not how it works, in most cases, unless it's a DaytonaC or a BLRO (even those will correct at some point).

Something also tells me that when someone asks whether he/she will lose ANY money after wearing the watch, they are likely going to be disappointed, and should probably not be buying that watch to begin with.

These are luxury items, they should be bought to enjoy, not to speculate on. It's a free country though so everyone can make their decisions as they see fit.
Old 7 March 2019, 07:20 AM   #22
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

Quote:

so true. too much virtue signaling on here. He didnt mention not wearing the watch and keeping stickers on it and tucking it in a safe.

OP - buy it if this is the watch you want. Dont just buy it cuz its there though. It will retain its value for sure. Its an amazing watch.
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:23 AM   #23
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
What happened to the WIS that actually knows what they like and buys a watch to wear??
Some are still around but many have been replaced by the "investor" demographic who are all about value retention, speculation, flipping and chasing only the hottest references. They always check in with the forum before they buy, to make sure their new watch will keep or appreciate in value.
Old 7 March 2019, 07:26 AM   #24
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Either you like the watch, you are speculating on an asset, or you can’t afford it (and therefore should not buy it in the first place)

Id say know which camp you are in and do what you want. Both are legitimate decisions.

I can kind of agree and disagree. I would count how well it holds value into equation. I wouldn't want to walk out of AD holding a watch worth 20% of its cost. That's why I'd always look at AD, grey and used markets. If MSRP is let's say 10K, but grey is 5K and used is 4K (hypothetically), there is no way in hell I am paying 10K for it no matter how much I like the watch, so it is a part of consideration. Although I wouldn't mind losing 1K and going grey instead of used.

That being said, I would never let value retention be deciding factor in whether I will wear the watch. If I like it and I buy it, I want to wear it, I will wear it no matter what.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:33 AM   #25
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Got I hate posts like this!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 07:33 AM   #26
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
X2. Just take a look in the FS sub-forum. Many of the “hot” references in today’s market listed for sale.
Whatever happened to buying the watch you want not the best “investment”?
Old 7 March 2019, 07:35 AM   #27
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Opportunity to buy SD43

Quote:
I think your view is perfectly reasonable. My issue is when people get ridiculed for asking a reasonable question. Who thinks it’s unreasonable, for example, to have an idea how much their car will depreciate or what the risk is of going into negative equity on their house purchase? And cars and houses, unlike watches are relative necessities.

I love all my watches. I’ve only ever sold one watch, because I tired of orange. I can comfortably afford my collection and to add to it. My SD43 is currently my favourite watch: I can’t get it off my wrist. Yet if I knew it would be worth 50% of what I paid as soon as I walked out the AD, I wouldn’t have bought it. I’d still love the watch, I’d still be able to afford it and take the hit, but I’m simply not comfortable with that level of depreciation on an item that is not a necessity.

Agreed

Hey - I agree. If I knew I’d take a huge hit, I probably would buy or at least not without a serious discount.

I’m a fairly active member on the omega forum and we never get these posts. I wonder why....

I bet half these people don’t think the same way about a car. It’s the same thing. If you can’t afford to lose, don’t play at all.

I always thought buying a luxury item meant you should enjoy it and could afford it. Obviously that has changed....

Old 7 March 2019, 07:44 AM   #28
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
X2. Just take a look in the FS sub-forum. Many of the “hot” references in today’s market listed for sale.
Whatever happened to buying the watch you want not the best “investment”?
It's a mixed bag, some WIS, some investors, and a few scammers looking to for the next meal
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 08:56 AM   #29
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

Agreed. It’s not the main factor but it’s a factor nonetheless for me. Who knows if I may need to liquidate for whatever reason it may be and even beyond that, I typically don’t really know if a watch is a keeper until a month or two up until a year or two into it. I may change my mind or prefer to have something else, who knows
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 09:17 AM   #30
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Fair question. It would be nice to get everyone's opinion without judgement. My initial reaction was to talk about not buying it if you don't love it, don't buy it if you can't afford it. But he's just asking an opinion about value.
Of course if you wear it you will lose value. But as far as value retention, any Rolex SS Sport model is a decently safe bet. Buy it!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote