The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

SBGX271 Grand Seiko Quartz- Just Arrived!

This just arrived today, I got it on ebay from Japan. I am very pleased with it. It is the Quartz model, 37mm.

I was quite undecided between the dials, I know the Champagne is hot out here and sure is cool. I was thinking black too but in the end this one got me. I found the Japanese Domestic part of it very interesting, knowing it is a Japanese Domestic model. I was nervous about what it would be like in person, but knew I couldn't go wrong, after all, it is a Grand Seiko. I liked the little bit of pizazz this one offers with the slight coloring on the edges (is that the chapter ring?) and the blue seconds hand.

I thought I'd like the 37mm, since I'm an older guy and love my Datejust and not really into the big watches that are popular today. And while I appreciate automatics, the appeal here was the lower price that comes with the quartz and the thinner profile of 10mm.

At first glance, I had some uncertainty about the size. It looked a little small, and I have a big wrist. I think it wears somewhat smaller than my Datejust, I think there may be a little less dial with a little more bezel and case.

I have to get it sized by the guy I use to really get it on the wrist and in action and get to know it a little better. I brought it to the diner tonight to show my friend, the lighting there is good, and while he isn't really into watches that much or know them all that well, he was gassed and so was I to see it in better light. I took this picture.

They certainly make a heckuva watch!!!

I want to mention that there was an issue with fedex and the watch worksheet. I looked online and saw mention of this being a hassle for many buyers. It eventually got straightened out but was a big hassle with alot of phone calls and holding on to speak with someone. The delivery was delayed by a few days... but it got here eventually and I wanted to tell you guys all about it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2067.jpg (210.8 KB, 250 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Very nice, I was just looking at that one in the Japanese GS catalog recently. GS 9F Quartz are amazing value when you consider the level of craftsmanship, from the case even down to the movement finishing. I wear my SBGT235 all the time, cos it looks great with anything and is always ready to roll. Congrats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4532.JPG (110.2 KB, 243 views)
Old 7 March 2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Wow! It’s a stunner! Congrats
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 03:41 PM   #4
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Very nice, I was just looking at that one in the Japanese GS catalog recently. GS 9F Quartz are amazing value when you consider the level of craftsmanship, from the case even down to the movement finishing. I wear my SBGT235 all the time, cos it looks great with anything and is always ready to roll. Congrats
thanks, yours is a beauty and your post awhile back really messed me up lol when I saw yours and some of the others that some members posted. I don't mean to make light of it, it is a lot of money, but in this world of watches it really isn't near as heavy a hit as a new Rolex at around $6k. Is the level of workmanship at the same level as an automatic GS (aside from the movement obviously); when was yours discontinued or available?
Old 7 March 2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmt2 View Post
Wow! It’s a stunner! Congrats
thank you!
Old 7 March 2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
thanks, yours is a beauty and your post awhile back really messed me up lol when I saw yours and some of the others that some members posted. I don't mean to make light of it, it is a lot of money, but in this world of watches it really isn't near as heavy a hit as a new Rolex at around $6k. Is the level of workmanship at the same level as an automatic GS (aside from the movement obviously); when was yours discontinued or available?
Yes, the level of workmanship is just the same across all types of GS. The quartz models are actually a lot more popular in Japan than autos or spring drives, and outnumber both in the catalogs. There are many JDM quartz models, compared to a handful offered overseas. The movement finishing gets equal attention, too, and GS put clear casebacks on some special editions.

Mine is still available in the catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4533.JPG (141.4 KB, 235 views)
Old 7 March 2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, the level of workmanship is just the same across all types of GS. The quartz models are actually a lot more popular in Japan than autos or spring drives, and outnumber both in the catalogs. There are many JDM quartz models, compared to a handful offered overseas. The movement finishing gets equal attention, too, and GS put clear casebacks on some special editions.

Mine is still available in the catalog.
I dig the thinner profile and smaller crown that I think comes with the quartz. Things change up around here alot, hope this one sticks around. Off to a nice start with it for sure...
Old 7 March 2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I dig the thinner profile and smaller crown that I think comes with the quartz. Things change up around here alot, hope this one sticks around. Off to a nice start with it for sure...
The size is great. I'll be in Japan this weekend...checking out the Seiko ADs and vintage stores while my wife runs the Nagoya Marathon.
Old 7 March 2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The size is great. I'll be in Japan this weekend...checking out the Seiko ADs and vintage stores while my wife runs the Nagoya Marathon.
Great! I'll be in Flushing, Queens Chinatown getting my GS sized and having some nice Congee while we wait for winter to end...
Old 7 March 2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Congrats!!!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:09 PM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
There’s an incredible train museum in Nagoya, if you have the time and interest.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
There’s an incredible train museum in Nagoya, if you have the time and interest.
Thanks, looks good, but we're only in town for 48 hours this time.
Old 7 March 2019, 09:22 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 7 March 2019, 09:24 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks guys!!!

I just got it sized today and it feels great on the wrist. This is a 7 1/2" wrist too! Looks great I would say (I was concerned that it may be on the small side)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2070.jpg (171.5 KB, 172 views)
Old 8 March 2019, 09:22 PM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issues with size. Looks great.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 08:47 AM   #17
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Very cool! Congrats
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 11:01 AM   #18
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

thank you all!
Old 9 March 2019, 12:02 PM   #19
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. Love the minute track.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 12:15 PM   #20
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
Congrats. Love the minute track.
Thanks Kevin! I was going nuts in deciding which one to get and am so glad I went with this one. If you mean the blue sections, it is subtle and cool. I'm picky as hell and change my mind a lot and watches come and go around here, usually with a significant loss of money too! But for now, I am loving this watch!
Old 9 March 2019, 12:18 PM   #21
Tbonewalk
2024 Pledge Member

They have a way with words, don't they...
"Quartz model with a smaller case that sits naturally on your wrist...

Grand Seiko believes that the essential qualities of a wristwatch are accuracy, beauty, legibility, durability, and ease of use. The 9F quartz model is the result of our sincere and extensive pursuit of these factors that apparently seem to be so ordinary. This ultimate quartz watch has been completed by incorporating a number of innovative features and by thinking outside the box of traditional quartz models.

The beautiful mirror surface, which is free of distortion, and the case with its elaborate satin finish quietly emphasizes the presence of the watch.

The size of the case was carefully calculated so that the watch would sit nicely on your wrist. This model will serve as an ideal partner upon which you can comfortably count, with its modest but unwavering qualities."