The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
How many Rolex owners own (or want to own) a nautilus/aquanaut

Im curious... this is TRF so we all love rolex but will you eventually add one of the 2 genta models? My gut tells me that rolex SS is the perfect breeding ground for Patek nautilus and aquanaut lines. I will loosley include the AP jumbo.

So have you or will you be buying one? And if you are buying one. Woll you be sizing down your rolex collection to get there? Which models would you trade to get to the next model?

Just a little fun... lets not make this a SAVGE thread. (Im at the gym so my TRF post surge lol)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 12:59 AM   #2
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Nautilus quite possibly. Aquanaut no thanks.

Would prefer a Royal Oak first though.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #3
Lou wants a Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 36
Before I bought my Rolex I looked at all the high end watches. Some are very nice some are just not my taste. I am a Rolex Man. I think Rolex makes the nicest watch and that’s why I bought mine. I still look at others but if I am going to spend high end prices Rolex is the only one I will spend money on.
I also feel at one point you can spend to much money on a watch and that plays a part in my buying decision.

I have seen some tudors I like. I have also seen some Rolexes I don’t like.
Lou wants a Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:03 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Im curious... this is TRF so we all love rolex but will you eventually add one of the 2 genta models? My gut tells me that rolex SS is the perfect breeding ground for Patek nautilus and aquanaut lines. I will loosley include the AP jumbo.

So have you or will you be buying one? And if you are buying one. Woll you be sizing down your rolex collection to get there? Which models would you trade to get to the next model?

Just a little fun... lets not make this a SAVGE thread. (Im at the gym so my TRF post surge lol)
Not a fan of most all of the Patek range especially the Nautilus and Aquanaut great movements but not a fan of there style of watches,same for the RO range.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:05 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Not me; nice watches but not for me!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:07 AM   #6
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Rotor noise is a killer for me and both of those models are noisy. Had a Nautilus for a very short period of time and it drove me crazy. Plus the bracelet felt uber cheap and flimsy.
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:13 AM   #7
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou wants a Rolex View Post
Before I bought my Rolex I looked at all the high end watches. Some are very nice some are just not my taste. I am a Rolex Man.
Ditto. Rolex normally exceeds my expectations in person. I often flirt with other brands but on the wrist they almost always disappoint.
Old 11 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Not me. To be honest, there aren’t that many more Rolex models I’m interested in either, even if I could get them. Seiko and Grand Seiko seem to be my niche.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #9
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I’m a fan of the brand but I just don’t like their watches enough to pony up what would be a significant outlay for me.

I’m not drawn to the Genta look (though I could see myself wearing one or two variations of the RO). As far as their dress offerings go, in that echelon I’d be all over Lange instead.
Old 11 March 2019, 01:15 AM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have both of those models.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:15 AM   #11
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I own both and honestly enjoy moving between the two brands.
Old 11 March 2019, 01:17 AM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I have both of those models.
The question for you is...are there any models you dont own?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:21 AM   #13
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
The question for you is...are there any models you dont own?
Yes quite a few. I do have a ROO Ceramic Diver but I don’t know that it would make a Genta list.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:22 AM   #14
torrente
"TRF" Member

In my case those not much, maybe a Nautilus but more complicated than 5711, what it is on my radar is a Cartier Pasha, also by Gerald Genta.
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:24 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I like the nautilus, 5711 blue. But at this point I will never own one. Perhaps the gold nautilus at some point.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:25 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This forum is the only reason I started buying AP or PP. This was before social media hype on these brands. It was a natural transition after owning several Rolex. I do like that AP/Patek goes more unnoticed in my region but few watches are made as solid as a Rolex from tip to tip.

Also nobody has or ever will have classic designs that rival Rolex. Gentas work doesn’t stand up to a sub or gmt or daytona and never will. I still love and enjoy them though
Old 11 March 2019, 01:26 AM   #17
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Had a Nautilus for a few months and it wasn't for me and the Aquanaut is definitely not my thing. After owning many, many watches from many different luxury brands, I've really settled in with Rolex. They just check all the boxes for me for precision, quality, and the look.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:26 AM   #18
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not a fan of most all of the Patek range especially the Nautilus and Aquanaut great movements but not a fan of there style of watches,same for the RO range.

I concur.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:27 AM   #19
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
I personally don't like the design of AP, a bit too boxey for me. Looks like a giant stainless nut mounted on a band. Waiting for a mugger to come along with a huge spanner and unscrew it from your wrist.

The Nautilus looks like a throw back to windows frames from Blake 7 era spaceship. I understand a design icon to a lot of people but just not for me.

To be honest Rolex i only like pre ceramic for me personally, IMVHO. Although i understand lots and lots of people love them. Best invention since the sheepdog etc.

Hope i haven't offended anybody, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:29 AM   #20
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Same here.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:29 AM   #21
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrente View Post
In my case those not much, maybe a Nautilus but more complicated than 5711, what it is on my radar is a Cartier Pasha, also by Gerald Genta.
I also like the pasha.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:30 AM   #22
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I own an AP RO. And i have several popular Rolex references. AP is on a different level period. I imagine same is true if not more for PP. So yes would love to own a nautilus one day...
Old 11 March 2019, 01:34 AM   #23
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I could see myself getting a Nautilus instead of the DD40 at the same price point but never at x2.

Main reason would be that Rolex finishing is so so, especially dial details. For example polishing on the side of batons is coarse. The Grand Seiko I owned had better finished details than Rolex so I'd think a Nautilus dial would be a big step up from Rolex. Patek seems to lack in bracelet and, right or wrong, feels less sturdy for everyday use.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:39 AM   #24
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Seems like a natural transition, but many are totally fine with Rolex since, as others have mentioned, it checks all the boxes. It's like owning a BMW or Benz (except reliable), and then looking at the next tier (Bentleys). Sure they are more prestigious, but does not mean they are actually built better.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:42 AM   #25
MTBer
"TRF" Member

The Nautilus dial, especially in blue, is interesting but I’ll admit I probably wouldn’t give those watches a second look if they didn’t say Patek on the dial. The Genta designs look dated, and 120m water resistance on watches with aquatic-themed names just seems like a bit of a joke.

It’s all academic for me since any of them are out of my price range, but for that kind of money I’d rather have something like a grand complications or annual calendar.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:50 AM   #26
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned both. Prefer Rolex. More durable and the rotor noise on Patek is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:04 AM   #27
tyngshen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great movements? Noisy rotors, measly 35 hours power reserves, non hacking seconds? Really?

tyngshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:12 AM   #28
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyngshen View Post
Great movements? Noisy rotors, measly 35 hours power reserves, non hacking seconds? Really?

Aesthetically, they’re beautiful. Functionally, I’ll never know but the the technical shortcomings are probably easily dismissed the same way one appologizes for Ferrari reliability and service costs/intervals.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:15 AM   #29
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Nautilus blue face for me...if I can get one at retail.
FrankNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:23 AM   #30
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I wouldn't spend that level of money on a watch tbh. Just not for me, and I'm not rich. I started with Breitling and Omega, and even one Zenith. Eventually moved to Rolex, and now that I have my first Tudor all I can really see me doing is staying with the Rolex/Tudor family. These watches just suit me, and the price point is where I can afford to have a few, which also suits me.

And if I am being honest, Royal Oaks and most Patek sports just do not appeal to me, even if I had the money. If I was going to spend 40K on a watch it would be a YG Daytona with green dial.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote