The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Sea Dweller at AD

Hi all,

One more question before I make my purchase of an SD. A local dealer here has a D series SD sitting in the case. I made the point to him that it's 3-4 years old but he didn't really offer up anything off the watch - tag is $6400. I didn't make a point of negotiating as I was looking at 3 different models at the time.

I know, it's the same watch as a M or V, but it has been sitting somewhere for 3-4 years. What would you offer for this?

If I can't get anything for it I have no problem going used/gray market but there is always a chance in doing that. Also, if it needed warranty service (unlikely) my dealer most likely won't help out on that (I suppose that's understandable).

Sorry for the many questions - I have the trigger half pulled back...

Thanks,
Chris
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
There are a BNIB SD's that I have seen advertised on this and other forums for $4800 or so and its the currebt serial. If no discounts are offered, go gray.
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
There are a BNIB SD's that I have seen advertised on this and other forums for $4800 or so and its the currebt serial. If no discounts are offered, go gray.
~Scott
Yes, I have seen them and have traded some emails. I am growing more comfortable with it but being a virgin to buying this way, I am a little hesitant. I know the "good" names around here and I just need to become comfortable with it. Being a wus, really

I am pretty sure that the dealer isn't going to budge - after all, it's the last one in his case and there will not be another one for him to sell.
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 09:32 AM   #4
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Feel freee to PM me with any questions reagrding sellers. There are quite a few good ones out there to deal with.
~Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
I know this is common practice among watch lovers and collectors alike. When they go into an AD they will ask what serial prefix it is. Some watches are NOS, so negotiation of discounts occur.

Some people treat watches like cars, if this was a 2005 BMW, would you pay new for it?
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 10:21 AM   #6
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
Hi all,

One more question before I make my purchase of an SD. A local dealer here has a D series SD sitting in the case. I made the point to him that it's 3-4 years old but he didn't really offer up anything off the watch - tag is $6400. I didn't make a point of negotiating as I was looking at 3 different models at the time.

I know, it's the same watch as a M or V, but it has been sitting somewhere for 3-4 years. What would you offer for this?

If I can't get anything for it I have no problem going used/gray market but there is always a chance in doing that. Also, if it needed warranty service (unlikely) my dealer most likely won't help out on that (I suppose that's understandable).

Thanks,
Chris

Mine is a "Z" purchased in Dec 08... got 20% off. Make them give ya a better deal!
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
tecky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Chris
Dude! Tell them to give it to you at 20% off or so. cuz, its just going sit there till he ends up flicking it off out the back door into the grey market. take 5k in cash and pull out $4900 and tell him thats all you have to walk out the door with a good clean purchase of a "3 to 4 years old" sitting collecting dust and gaskets drying up SD, that he is only gonna end up flicking out the back door into the Grey market. when he can get cash up front for the watch right now! thats the way I would do it!

good luck, I hope u get it! let us know dude!
tecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 10:43 AM   #8
tecky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecky View Post
Dude! Tell them to give it to you at 20% off or so. cuz, its just going sit there till he ends up flicking it off out the back door into the grey market. take 5k in cash and pull out $4900 and tell him thats all you have to walk out the door with a good clean purchase of a "3 to 4 years old" sitting collecting dust and gaskets drying up SD, that he is only gonna end up flicking out the back door into the Grey market. when he can get cash up front for the watch right now! thats the way I would do it!

good luck, I hope u get it! let us know dude!
you know what !..... take 5k and pull out 4k and tell him thats all you got! he is an AD too right! cuz a friend of mine got a pepsi GMTII NIB D serial from an AD back East for $3900. 2 year warranty dude!
tecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
AIKO
"TRF" Member

From my conversations with my 2 local AD's, they are not moving mutch on the SD's because they have been discontinued. Also, the D series may be "new" but it has been sitting around for years. They would have to make a great offer (>25%) for me to take that watch. Otherwise go grey, or better <1 year old pre-owned Z for $4,200 or so.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2009, 04:48 AM   #10
RolexCat

Watch: SD
I got 12% on my M ser SD here in Michigan. I would call ADs in Ohio, and Michigan. It would be worth the drive for a nice discount. Also as said, take the cash and pull it out, and see wha they want to do. Let me know if i can assit you here in Michigan. Ron
RolexCat is offline   Reply With Quote