The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2019, 11:31 AM   #1
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
Hulk trade?

Hi All,

I’ve been out of the game for a while... kids, moving, bathroom renovations, work travel... you name it, it’s happening. Anyways, I started to reconsider trading my Hulk in, and noticed the prices are really astronomical in the grey market at this time.

If I were to trade it, it would be for a SD43.

Regardless, is the general thought in this fine forum on the Hulk to hold at this point? I’m not trying to time the market, or speculate, just want this groups opinion as to what they’d do.

Thanks in advance!

Pat
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:32 AM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
If you're looking at getting the SD43 and going to offload the Hulk, right now might be the best time to do it with the high resell prices. I would make that move in a second, the SD43 is a fantastic watch.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:38 AM   #3
pepsiretail
Banned

I would hold the Hulk.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:39 AM   #4
derklink
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: amacallit
If you like the SD43 better than the Hulk, do it. Not worth it hanging on to a piece that you're not in love with. If you can swing it, add the SD43 but I guess you wouldn't be asking if that was the case. I think the Hulk is unique and once discontinued, it'll be hard to get it at a somewhat reasonable price (in the current climate).
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:40 AM   #5
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
i would hold the hulk.
+1
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:04 PM   #6
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I ended up letting go of my hulk after three years. I’m moving to a PM. I wasn’t willing to risk demand going down. I felt like I got a really decent offer when considering I paid MSRP for mine.

It needed a little work, so I needed to let it go to a trusted seller so they would take care of all that prior to reselling.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:05 PM   #7
ruffa
"TRF" Member

Don’t rush. Try the SD43 first. Not everyone falls in love with its size. Hulk will be hard to replace but if it’s not singing to you, do the trade and don’t look back.
ruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:39 PM   #8
boktan
"TRF" Member

I dont own an SD43, only tried one on, and no doubt its a very beautiful watch, but if for everyday, Im wondering how top heavy it is and how well it sits on the wrist. Anyway Im bias, I love the hulk.
boktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:46 PM   #9
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by boktan View Post
I dont own an SD43, only tried one on, and no doubt its a very beautiful watch, but if for everyday, Im wondering how top heavy it is and how well it sits on the wrist. Anyway Im bias, I love the hulk.
that really depends on your wrist size but the wider bracelet doesn't make the watch top heavy what so ever
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Gasguzlr
"TRF" Member

I have both, as many here do. I love the SD43, and its a great overall watch. But the Hulk is special. That shimmering dial gives my spirit a lift every time I look down at it, especially in the sunlight. Plus, while both are comfortable and great everyday watches, but honestly the Sub is just that much more comfortable. It’s perfect balance and slightly thinner profile makes it the perfect piece to wear every day.

The SD is a fantastic watch, but my favourite is the LV.

Cheers

Ross
Gasguzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I dont know what to tell you I have both they are both awesome pieces.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 02:15 PM   #12
boktan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
that really depends on your wrist size but the wider bracelet doesn't make the watch top heavy what so ever
when I was trying the SD43, it didnt look too big on my wrist, but did feel a little thick, like you said,wrist size.
boktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Skylife
"TRF" Member

I'll hold the Hulk
Skylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 02:51 PM   #14
brandog
Banned

Hulk will be $20k by this time next summer. I would push the trade off a bit longer.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Hulk will be $20k by this time next summer. I would push the trade off a bit longer.
Agreed,HOLD the hulk
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 04:54 PM   #16
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
I would sell. I have a feeling that the current high Hulk price is a bit artificial. That being said, if you did decide to hold it is unlikely that you will lose much by doing so.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 05:11 PM   #17
DR.Golf
"TRF" Member

No one on here knows for sure what is going to happen. But I think everyone would agree, the Hulk is an anniversary piece and has been made for a while. It isn’t produced in the same quantities as other professional references. It is a bit of a niche piece. This makes it a bit more scarce. Ask any retailer.

The SD 43 is still in it’s infancy, as far as life cycles go. With the introduction of the TT version it is safe to say this model has long legs. Look at where BLNR trades and the recent spike since being discontinued. That is just a bracelet change! If/when they retire the Hulk it will have a big demand surge.

Unless you are absolutely done with the Hulk and can’t stand to look at it, why move it now? It has potential to become more rare and special as well value to increase. The SD43 doesn’t fit as many collectors, it can be worn everyday but in many cases it is part of a collection. My guess is if you put the Hulk away for a while and wore something else you would miss it. I wouldn’t move the Hulk for a SD43 unless you are just done with the Hulk. My concern is you will look back and want to kick your own rear end if you move that Hulk.

There was a time when they sat on retailers shelves but not anymore. I was speaking to a AD recently and he claims he gets one Hulk to 6-8 SS Daytona’s. This shouldn’t matter, you need to love the watch you own and wear but as you stated you have been away from the game for a while. Plan your next move think it through and don’t make any quick decisions. If you decide to wait and move it down the road it is very difficult to imagine it won’t be worth more in the future.

Good luck.
DR.Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 05:15 PM   #18
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffa View Post
Don’t rush. Try the SD43 first. Not everyone falls in love with its size. Hulk will be hard to replace but if it’s not singing to you, do the trade and don’t look back.
Good advice.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 05:20 PM   #19
MrWhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes weekly
I was just about to switch my Hulk for something else having owned it a year from new. I got offered a very good price. I took it off my wrist for a few weeks and when the time came to send it to WF, I just couldn't do it.
It's now back on my wrist and have that feeling of a new watch again.
MrWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 05:41 PM   #20
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhy View Post
I was just about to switch my Hulk for something else having owned it a year from new. I got offered a very good price. I took it off my wrist for a few weeks and when the time came to send it to WF, I just couldn't do it.
It's now back on my wrist and have that feeling of a new watch again.
Exactly
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 06:28 PM   #21
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

I owned a new 2018 Hulk for slightly less than one year. Sold it - to an AD - around Christmas 2018 for a $1K profit. Ended up buying an Exp II from that same AD and have never regretted my decision; I simply tired of the Hulk because I also bought a 2018 Bluesy, which is my favorite of the bunch. At the time I sold the Hulk, it was going for $12-13K on grey sites.

If you've tired of it, sell it, and try to sell it to an AD with whom you can parlay it for the SD43 you want. If what people theorize about ADs selling to greys is true, then they're more motivated to get you your desired SD43. You could use that as leverage to get the AD to expedite your SD43.

I also think that people need to be careful not to fall victim to the greed factor we all see with the greys and models like the Hulk. Just because it's priced so astronomically on certain sites, doesn't mean that we the sellers are going to make a big profit. My guess is that right now if you sold to grey, at most you'd profit $2k over retail. Why not take whatever profit margin you stand to gain from a grey and instead move it along to an AD for your SD43 and avoid any tax consequences?
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 03:50 AM   #22
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Hulk trade?

I own both, and favor the SD43 slightly more; however it would be tough to part w/ either.
I don’t like using investment potential in these situations however if current trajectory holds, I could see both being in the 20K realm by this time next year.
But should the SD lose its red line, or Hulk be discontinued then prices will really go insane.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 03:54 AM   #23
HappyFish
Banned

Sell it
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 03:56 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Be very sure you want the new watch, offer prices on the hot models are usually very poor.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 04:01 AM   #25
Mattomatic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post
Look at where BLNR trades and the recent spike since being discontinued. That is just a bracelet change! If/when they retire the Hulk it will have a big demand surge.
I agree with this. Of course nobody can say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued the Hulk soon. I bet it would see a $10K hike once retired.
Mattomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 04:11 AM   #26
huba01
"TRF" Member

Keep your Hulk
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 04:18 AM   #27
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by huba01 View Post
Keep your Hulk
Get rid of your Hulk. The SD43 is an awesome watch. For desirability consider a Mk1 dial as this 'may' be desirable in the future. I have seen a difference in price at Hatton Garden & Burlington Arcade (UK) between the Mk1 vs Mk2.
Old 17 June 2019, 04:20 AM   #28
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
Hang on to it for now.......things are only going one way for the hulk
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 04:31 AM   #29
TommyBahama18
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I’d keep it, the color on that hulk is so unique
TommyBahama18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 04:35 AM   #30
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Keep hold of the hulk the next few months....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote