The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
poptop
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
My wife said "Go get a watch"!!!

I was at the beach with my wife the other day. She asked me why I don't wear my Tag (Sel series @ 12 years old) watch anymore. I explained that since the band was coming apart, I didn't want to risk losing it. She says that she likes watches on men and that I should look into getting a new one.:

So I went down to my local AD where I had purchased my Tag and my wife’s engagement ring. I have always wanted a SS Sub. He states that he didn't have any in stock, but would sell me a SD for less than a SS Sub. I always liked the SD, but with the limited diving I do, the Sub would be more than sufficient. I tried on a TT Sub w/ blue dial. It is a beautiful watch, but I don’t wear any yellow gold. I tried on the SD and I fell in love. Retail I guess for 2006 SD is $4700. He knocked off $1100 and I wore it out the door.

My wife loves it and I can't seem to stop looking at it. I'm very happy with the purchase.

PS. Sorry for such a long thread for my first post, but I'm so excited about my SD and the fact that the wife was all for it.
poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Poptop myself prefer the SD over the Sub allthough I have both, not a great lover of the cyclops.Must say that was a very good discount,wear your watch in good health,it will last you a lifetime.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 06:31 PM   #3
mamas
"TRF" Member

congrtaulations! i also own the SD .. it is my only rolex and love it. You got an amazing discount there!
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 07:21 PM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Congratulations and welcome to TRF poptop. The SD is a great watch and you receiveda great discount too. Post some pics when you can.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 07:22 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Very cool, you are lucky to have a thoughful wife and a new SD, well it doesn't get much better than that!

Enjoy....
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard and welcome to the SD club, poptop!

That's helluva bargain you got there too! What letter dos the serial number start with?
Old 19 June 2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Welcome to TRF, poptop. Your wife is to be congratulated!!!

BTW, is SHE pleased with your selection?
Old 19 June 2006, 10:40 PM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me add my welcome to TRF, poptop. Glad you found your way over to our merry madhouse.

And congratulations on a great acquisition. You got yourself one great deal there. And a nice watch to boot. The SD isn't my personal fav (unlike Padi, I love the cyclops - the iconic Rolex symbol), but what's important is that you like it. If it smiled at you and you got a great discount, AND you have your wife's blessing, what more could you possibly ask for?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 10:46 PM   #9
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Welcome to TRF! You made a good decision, the SD is a great watch. Has anyone mentioned you got a great discount?
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 12:17 AM   #10
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Wow a 25% discount on your first Rolex purchase! My AD won't give me close to that and I spend over 20k every year!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 01:03 AM   #11
poptop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Welcome aboard and welcome to the SD club, poptop!

That's helluva bargain you got there too! What letter dos the serial number start with?
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. The Serial # starts with D113XXXX. BNIB and came with all paper work, box, tool, link, 2 year warranty etc...

I thought the price was a good deal, but I didn't know it was a great deal until I started reading this forum. The Ad has discounted other jewelry that I have purchased in the past as well. About 12 years ago when I was in college, I had to have a Tag link watch. I went to the shop and happened to talk to the owner instead of a employee. He gave me such a great deal on the watch, I have been buying all of my (my wife’s) jewelry from him ever since and will continue into the future (maybe the TT Sub).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Welcome to TRF, poptop. Your wife is to be congratulated!!!

BTW, is SHE pleased with your selection?
My wife is very pleased with my selection. I guess in her eyes, I'm a man again for wearing a watch . I don't wear any jewelry except for watches (a Seiko diver and a Tag). Unfortunately, I stopped wearing my Tag about a year ago because of the bracelet. I'm surprised that my wife noticed when I didn't wear it. Fortunately, my wife noticed it and now I'm a new owner of a SD.

This site has been very informative and interesting. I've learned more this weekend reading the posts than I'm sure what I would have learned from a salesman. Thanks for the great forum.
Old 20 June 2006, 01:39 AM   #12
poptop
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the poor pics. My wife has misplaced my camera and the smartphone is just that, a phone, not a camera.

Thanks again for the great welcome. Now, I just have to control myself from collecting guns to collecting Rolex watches. There are several I want in the future (TT Sub, Daytona etc...), but I am very happy with the SD. Being 6'3" and 250lbs, there are not many watches that fit me the way I like. The SD does a very good job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_00013.jpg (64.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg image_00014.jpg (62.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 20 June 2006, 02:34 AM   #13
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello poptop and welcome to TRF. Good choice with the watch, I'm glad you didn't choose the blue TT sub.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 02:36 AM   #14
Loaded

Watch: SD/TTDJ
get your tools etc and your chart etc.? Good choice on SD.......
Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 03:31 AM   #15
poptop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
Hello poptop and welcome to TRF. Good choice with the watch, I'm glad you didn't choose the blue TT sub.
Thank you. However, I still think the TT Sub is a beautiful piece. The AD was wearing one when I picked my SD on Friday. I couldn't stop looking at it on his wrist. Since the SD, I do the same thing to my wrist. I think the TT Sub looks great on everybody else, but I'm not sure about the YG on myself. I have a platinum wedding band and I think that the YG will clash with it. I don't know. I'm sure I will be stopping into the shop and admiring it within the next year. My wife likes both the SD and the TT Sub on me. I chose the SD for the combination of class and its utility. Not that the Sub isn't designed for diving, but it's just too good-looking for it. I don't think I would dive with the TT Sub.

Question: Is there anything I should worry about due to the fact that the AD discounted the SD so much? After reading posts that ADs don't give much if not any discount, I started to over think the deal. The AD is a well known jeweler in my area and he has given me discounts on jewelry in the past. Is it that the SD is not very popular and he just wanted to get it out of his display case? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 20 June 2006, 03:38 AM   #16
poptop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded View Post
get your tools etc and your chart etc.? Good choice on SD.......
Thanks. BNIB with all the goodies. Box, leather wallet, tool, dive charts, owners papers, expansion link, cleaning cloth. Everything was there except the anchor. Since reading the prior posts, I think that everyone is saying that the anchor is no longer included, which makes no difference to me.

PS. Sorry for my last post. For some reason, it was posted twice.
Padi Edit deleted your double post.
Old 20 June 2006, 03:38 AM   #17
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF, poptop. Congratulations on a great deal on a great watch
Old 20 June 2006, 03:55 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptop View Post
Question: Is there anything I should worry about due to the fact that the AD discounted the SD so much? After reading posts that ADs don't give much if not any discount, I started to over think the deal. The AD is a well known jeweler in my area and he has given me discounts on jewelry in the past. Is it that the SD is not very popular and he just wanted to get it out of his display case? Any comments would be appreciated.
Nothing at all to worry about if you bought from a AD,just think yourself lucky you had such a good discount,you keep well in with him.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 June 2006, 03:55 AM   #19
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Welcome to the most social Rolex and watch forum on the Internet. Nice watch, just a little different from the Sub. As for the diving part: very little (amateur) divers get below 80 m, let alone more than a KM!
Old 20 June 2006, 04:02 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
As for the diving part: very little (amateur) divers get below 80 m, let alone more than a KM!
Today most recreational divers would not go deeper than 35m-45m now.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 June 2006, 04:14 AM   #21
gforce
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Congrats on your new watch! excellent choice

BTS TATTOOS
gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 04:18 AM   #22
poptop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today most recreational divers would not go deeper than 35m-45m now.
I agree. I am just that, a recreational diver. I know I will never push the limits of a SD let alone a Sub. I think the deepest dive I have been on was @ 36m in Guam on a WWII ship.
Old 20 June 2006, 04:24 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi poptop (love that username! )

And a very BIG welcome to TRF. For just $3600 you did very well on the price of a brand new SD. Great AD you got there. Now get yourself a nice camera and post some better pics, pal.

Wear that SD in good health, my friend...always!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 04:38 AM   #24
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
Ohhh, shut up Adrian!!!
Old 20 June 2006, 04:42 AM   #25
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Ohhh, shut up Adrian!!!
Yes, Adrian, pipe down (as the Yanks perfer!)

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 07:36 AM   #26
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Answer

Hi and welcome to the forum.

"Question: Is there anything I should worry about due to the fact that the AD discounted the SD so much? After reading posts that ADs don't give much if not any discount, I started to over think the deal. The AD is a well known jeweler in my area and he has given me discounts on jewelry in the past. Is it that the SD is not very popular and he just wanted to get it out of his display case? Any comments would be appreciated."

Answer: No, you got a fantastic deal on a NIB Rolex so just be happy and don't worry. Oh and yes the SD is very popular, congratulations on a fine acquisition. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 08:36 AM   #27
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

"Question: Is there anything I should worry about due to the fact that the AD discounted the SD so much? After reading posts that ADs don't give much if not any discount, I started to over think the deal. The AD is a well known jeweler in my area and he has given me discounts on jewelry in the past. Is it that the SD is not very popular and he just wanted to get it out of his display case? Any comments would be appreciated."

Answer: No, you got a fantastic deal on a NIB Rolex so just be happy and don't worry. Oh and yes the SD is very popular, congratulations on a fine acquisition. =) maverick
Yes! you should be very afraid! Send it to me right now, I'll give you exactly what you paid!

You're lucky to buy used on ebay for under $3800

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2006, 03:20 AM   #28
poptop
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I look forward to reading through the forum.
Old 21 June 2006, 11:11 AM   #29
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
The one pity about the D-series is that I believe thay've stopped supplying the anchor in the package. Not that it's of any practical value, but where does practical fit into a Rolex purchase?

Maybe your dealer's got one of those anchors lying around, just to complete the set.
Old 21 June 2006, 02:35 PM   #30
poptop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
The one pity about the D-series is that I believe thay've stopped supplying the anchor in the package. Not that it's of any practical value, but where does practical fit into a Rolex purchase?

Maybe your dealer's got one of those anchors lying around, just to complete the set.
I remember reading that Rolex stopped shipping the SD with the anchor. Am I mistaken?

Either way, I'm happy with the watch and even happier with the deal. I'm going to the AD tomorrow to add another link to the SD due to the fact that I have big wrists. I'm going to question him about the anchor and see if he has one lying around. I'm also going to see what if any other deals he has on the other Rolex watches. I love my SD, but I can't stop thinking about the TT Sub.