The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: TT CHNR BNIB vs YG A Lange and Sohne 1 Pre Owned
TT CHNR 33 51.56%
YG A Lange and Sohne 1 32 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 June 2019, 01:12 AM   #1
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
TT CHNR BNIB vs YG A Lange and Sohne 1 Pre Owned

Guys,

Tempted to purchase the BNIB TT CHNR for USD 18.75k...But the dealer also has this lovely pre owned 2008 YG A Lange & Sohne 1 Ref 101.022 (rated 9/10) for USD 17.8k....

So which one you recommend ?

Regards,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 01:16 AM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

With your existing collection, Lange all the way. But I've been on a dress watch kick recently...
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Be aware that Lange service costs are 3-4 times that of Rolex, and they will not go as long in between services.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 01:33 AM   #4
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 is an Icon. Undervalued IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 02:43 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Strictly in your frames choices, they Lange. But if at MSRP CHNR as a third option...the CHNR.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 02:48 AM   #6
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Get the lange - haute horology!
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 03:04 AM   #7
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by syahriltaher View Post
Guys,

Tempted to purchase the BNIB TT CHNR for USD 18.75k...But the dealer also has this lovely pre owned 2008 YG A Lange & Sohne 1 Ref 101.022 (rated 9/10) for USD 17.8k....

So which one you recommend ?

Regards,

Given the list of watches in your signature, I would go with ALS. Sounds like a good price too (not that I am any good at current market pricing... just never seen a good Lange 1 at those prices around.)

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #8
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

The Lange 1 is priced fairly, but is not a steal, IMO. The YG versions tend to be a little less expensive, especially with the blued steel hands. Provenance and service history are very important with any A. Lange & Sohne watch; the German silver 3/4 plates are easily scratched, or stained by fingerprints, and the Lange 1 movement (L901.0) is unique and shouldn't be serviced by just anyone. Alkis Kotsopoulis at Swiss Watch Repair in NYC is the go to guy for Lange in the USA. Service cost is not outrageous ($1K for general service vs $6-700 for Rolex), and Alkis suggests not servicing a Lange 1 unless something is wrong or 10 years have past since the last service. My Lange 1 101.033 was made in 2004, sold new in 2011, and was serviced in 2017. If the watch is a full set, including Das Buch Zur Uhr (its history) and has good provenance, you could own on of the most compelling and unique (I won't use the I- word) pieces of contemporary horology. The finissage on the movement is better than a contemporary Patek, the watch wears beautifully on the wrist, it is extraordinary but doesn't shout about it, and so on. Also, Lange makes 5000 watches per year, vs. 1M from the Coronet. That said, a 126711 is pretty cool and I am waiting for one, but not over MSRP.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 11:44 AM   #9
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Be aware that Lange service costs are 3-4 times that of Rolex, and they will not go as long in between services.
Lange and Rolex owner here. What you say has not been my experience at all.

Is this your experience, something anecdotal, or something else?
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 02:30 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker973 View Post
Lange and Rolex owner here. What you say has not been my experience at all.

Is this your experience, something anecdotal, or something else?
2-3k for a Lange service is pretty normal, Rolex starts at €550. I have seen work from Lange service and know three watchmakers personally there who I've went to school with.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 04:14 AM   #11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
2-3k for a Lange service is pretty normal, Rolex starts at €550. I have seen work from Lange service and know three watchmakers personally there who I've went to school with.

It’s not that expensive. Depends on the complication. Full Lange 1 service is €1340, for that you get a full movement overhaul, case refinishing and replacement of leather strap. I don’t find that unreasonable given the complexity and level of finishing of the movement in comparison to the average Rolex. Biggest problem is that it’s about a 4 month turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1815 is offline   Reply With Quote