The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Audemars Piguet

Is this post in the wrong place?? No...

I spent my early years wanting a Rolex, having grown up in the 80’s in the UK, owning a Rolex was a sign of success, and coming from a poor family, it was hugely aspirational. It felt beyond reach, but a dream worth hanging onto.

Then, many years later when I was finally in a position to buy a nice watch, I had gone off the idea of a Rolex. I wanted a nice watch, not a status symbol. So I avoided the brand and went elsewhere. And then I read a lot, and learnt a lot, and came to realise that Rolex were the best at what they do, and I decided I should ignore the ‘status’ issue and go forth and multiply.

I became a huge fan of Rolex, and I remain one today. At what they do, I believe they are the best and are incredibly well priced. I currently have three, and they get good wrist time.

But then I read more, and learnt more, and the Royal Oak and Nautilus suddenly dominated all my thoughts! To cut a long story short, I currently have a couple of Royal Oaks, a Royal Oak Diver, and a Nautilus in the collection.

Next up, is probably a Patek 5524G. And after that, my grail, the 5270P (well, hey, it’s good to dream!).

And here is the question...

I like the AP brand, and I like the Royal Oak very much, but I suddenly find myself seeing AP as a compromise
that sits somewhere between Rolex and Patek. And as a result, my attraction to AP is dwindling.

If you want a genuine ‘sports or tool watch’ then it’s hard to beat Rolex. If you want haute horlogerie with a sports design, then Patek is where it’s at.

So, to you Patek people (most of whom have probably owned or considered AP, and almost certainly have owned or do own a Rolex or few) how do you see AP and has your view changed over time?

Is AP a haute horlogerie Rolex?

Or...

Is AP a robust Patek?

Or...

Is it a compromise that is neither HH or Robust?

I’m not trying to be contentious or be critical or AP (I have three that I like very much!), but just trying to asses how Patek owners see AP now, given that many will have been on the same journey as me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Pateks
Banned

I had 3 APs. Ended up selling them all and now just have Patek. I like AP but grew tired of the exact same watches being sold with a different color scheme. I do have to say I miss the bumblebee the most- the ceramic bezel was indestructible and it was a good daily beater.

However- I had to send it in 3 times as it stopped running. Then my Safari needed service. And my Grand Prix- just never sat right on the wrist- a bit too large and the bezel in carbonwluld get scratched.

Patek is not perfect but I’ve just decided I’m an Patek guy and nothing else really catches my fancy.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #3
zahain
"TRF" Member

AP is just royal oak case design and everything revolves around it (could say the same for Rolex but it doesn't feel the same like AP). Sure you could own a 15202,15400/500 but thats pretty much it they dont offer anything more in terms of something new (away from royal oak case design / the code 1159 is a fail) . Patek has the history and still heavily invests in producing good case designs and dials with the largest range of models offered in high complication with good value retention compared to the other swiss brands. I am kind of bored of AP and focus only on Patek currently.

It all depends on the buyer/watch owner. Comparing Rolex to AP , sure AP is better but once you're spending more they go out of the question
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:50 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I prefer AP to PP for prestige sports watches, in which AP is the leader imho. I like the PP sports range as more of a crossover finesse watch, if I want grand comps or dress pieces I would look at PP and Lange. For a no worry daily beater a Rolex is perfect. They all have their area of expertise.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:49 AM   #5
soundserious
"TRF" Member

What a needlessly long post just to hear: but what you like.
Old 7 July 2019, 10:04 AM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I love the 15407st and some of the new concepts...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I think it's purely personal preference, as AP is on the same level as Patek on an overall level IMO. I do find most RO and ROO too big, and they don't sit well on my wrist. Otherwise, I may seriously consider AP.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:09 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I like AP a lot... I dont like how their AD customers got left high and dry when they decided to pretty much go boutique only.

So for me its just not worth starting from scratch all over again.

If it wasn't for that, I would still buy them. IMO they are more of a fun HH watch vs Patek's seriousness
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 11:57 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Audemars Piguet

I disagree with your statement and believe AP makes the best HH sports watches when you consider the entire catalogue.

Strap dress pieces forget it Patek all day long.

Always a place for a Rolex just not head to head with an AP.
Old 7 July 2019, 12:26 PM   #10
A971
"TRF" Member

There have been a few threads, largely soaked in frustration at the current state of PP, talking about branching out into different brands... here has been my experience so far with AP:

The AP Ginza boutique is pretty great. You can sign up ahead of time online for an appointment, sit down with a glass of champagne, and have a real conversation.
Helps to distinguish yourself from the revolving door of tourists that ask for a 15202 and walk out the door.

I’m on the list for the 38mm Chrono that was announced at SIHH. Nobody really talked about this watch as everyone was too busy taking shots at the code 1159. But for my wrist (small) it’s the best watch I’ve tried in a long time, and think it really hits the sweet spot in terms of wrist presence.

I like the AP women’s watches better (will prob look to package something for me and the wife) and feel like I have a better chance at building something there, vs patek. If this is true or not, can’t say yet... admittedly AP probably spent a lot of time and effort to make me feel that way.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 12:27 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I disagree with your statement and believe AP makes the best HH sports watches when you consider the entire catalogue.

especially when you consider there is no Patek ROO substitute. You can debate all day long RO vs Nautilus. Patek doesnt have anything approaching an offshore.

and Its not the aquanaut
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 7 July 2019, 12:41 PM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Agree with your assessment.

I have had a couple of AP (jumbo and Diver) and they didn’t last in the collection.
The royal oak was very nice but for me compared to the nautilus comes in a distant second.

The ROO are great looking watches but for me while I admire them, they are just too big and I would rather stick with rolex.

As far as the options for a dress watch, Patek owns the thrown. There are other beautiful watches but wearing a Patek is for me in a league by itself.

As an alternative I like Fp Journe very much but if I had to keep only one of my dress watches, it would hands down be the Patek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69ACBD0C-6BBA-43B1-A94F-402B53615EDB.jpeg (201.4 KB, 527 views)
Old 7 July 2019, 12:42 PM   #13
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I actually think AP stands out from both Rolex and Patek. In terms of tool/sport watches, the ROO line and the level of finishing they have is way past any sports rolex. The case design, integrated bracelet are all elements that make it stand out.

As for the RO, I think that's a watch that stands out on its own. The history, the gorgeous dials and the unparalleled finishing come together to make a truly unique package.

So no, I think AP accomplishes something that both rolex and patek don't really do.
TooWoundUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 12:45 PM   #14
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
AP is holy trinity. Love the royal oaks and case finishing. Movements aren't bad.

Not a fan of ROOs but I do like the ROs in 36/37/39/41 variations chronos and 3 handers.

Also a fan of Code 11.59 but I may be alone here :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 01:00 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Recently I have been paying more attention to Patek, esp after my recent purchase. No doubt PP has a more prestigious history, is arguably more refined, and like it or not, more hype up, but I think they are just different other than both making watches and each has it's place. I still plan on keeping my APs long term and may even add to it if situation deems fit. It will be a very boring hobby if we only collect one or two brands and I am a person that loves variety.
Old 7 July 2019, 01:56 PM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Consider JCB, worked for AP and says he always lusted for Patek, we when it was time to spend his money that is what he bought.
Old 7 July 2019, 04:35 PM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I value your opinion, so shall rethink!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 7 July 2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post

Needless post full stop

Old 7 July 2019, 05:16 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I value your opinion, so shall rethink!

Excellent! Please tell my wife

I just don’t think anyone has such a broad and refined sports line quite like AP spanning from a simple diver up to grand comps. Many don’t like the ROO for its size or aesthetic but hard to argue if you browse the catalogue.

I think many dismiss AP ROO because they don’t have a 7”+ wrist which I totally get. AP is missing out on a fortune by not offering the 44 offshores in a 40mm package.
Old 7 July 2019, 05:19 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Agree with your assessment.

I have had a couple of AP (jumbo and Diver) and they didn’t last in the collection.
The royal oak was very nice but for me compared to the nautilus comes in a distant second.

The ROO are great looking watches but for me while I admire them, they are just too big and I would rather stick with rolex.

As far as the options for a dress watch, Patek owns the thrown. There are other beautiful watches but wearing a Patek is for me in a league by itself.

As an alternative I like Fp Journe very much but if I had to keep only one of my dress watches, it would hands down be the Patek.
I really dig your Patek Gus but damn that resonance is on fire!

Last edited by HL65; 7 July 2019 at 07:18 PM..
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:56 PM   #21
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I was a fan of RO but not anymore the passion just worn off ,the 11:59 ,well just take a look.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:04 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Was having a look at one the other day, def the standout Journe piece I saw.
Old 7 July 2019, 08:06 PM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Old 7 July 2019, 08:19 PM   #24
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent! Please tell my wife

I just don’t think anyone has such a broad and refined sports line quite like AP spanning from a simple diver up to grand comps. Many don’t like the ROO for its size or aesthetic but hard to argue if you browse the catalogue.

I think many dismiss AP ROO because they don’t have a 7”+ wrist which I totally get. AP is missing out on a fortune by not offering the 44 offshores in a 40mm package.

It’s a good point re: size and maybe that’s why I’ve gone a little cold on the brand. I like my 42” Diver a lot but it is a touch too big; not big enough to stop me wearing it, but big enough to stop me loving it. And certainly my options are reduced because of wrist size. A 40mm ROO would be epic!

Old 7 July 2019, 09:10 PM   #25
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
AP is missing out on a fortune by not offering the 44 offshores in a 40mm package.

I totally agree. I have had 4 offshores in my time, down to 1 now, FC Diver. I have really started to come to find the 42 even to be too large on my 7" wrist. Maybe my tastes have evolved as I have got older? I used to love 42 but now I find it massive, 39-40 is my sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 10:54 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its true. My grandma got old and stopped buying coke because the cans were too big. Then they started making those baby sized cans and she buys it again

Seriously though they are supposed to be oversized watches. Would look kind of weird at 40. Even on a small wrist

I think a Daytona looks fine on me, i also think a 44mm ROO looks fine on me. If the ROO was the same size as the Daytona i would find it odd. 42mm is probably the sweet spot.
Old 7 July 2019, 11:25 PM   #27
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
RO has its place, but it’s every derivation of thewatch. I sure hope the Nautilus/aquas don’t go that far

Concepts are cool
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 11:40 PM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Tom
The resonance is pure emotion.
Old 7 July 2019, 11:44 PM   #29
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its true. My grandma got old and stopped buying coke because the cans were too big. Then they started making those baby sized cans and she buys it again

Seriously though they are supposed to be oversized watches. Would look kind of weird at 40. Even on a small wrist

I think a Daytona looks fine on me, i also think a 44mm ROO looks fine on me. If the ROO was the same size as the Daytona i would find it odd. 42mm is probably the sweet spot.
Agree. Offshore is supposed to look big and wear big. A 40mm offshore will look downright wierd. Even guys with small wrist will not buy them bec they will think its for women.
Old 8 July 2019, 12:05 AM   #30
conkers
"TRF" Member

No bad answers here! I love many Pateks, some Royal Oaks and almost all Offshores. But hey i dare to be different and just ordered my second FPJ this weekend! For good measure however staying on thread I am picking up my next Offshore tomorrow!