The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 July 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Fake Sub Bought at Auction

Hess Fine Auctions

And looks like they are selling another one. Interestingly after I purchased mine, the listing was deleted as if it was never there.

Ebay buyer protection here I come.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 07:38 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
Hess Fine Auctions

And looks like they are selling another one. Interestingly after I purchased mine, the listing was deleted as if it was never there.

eBay only deletes auctions after time. A seller cant delete an auction that has completed. Im confused.
Old 27 July 2019, 07:43 AM   #3
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
WOW, that is a BIG seller, I can;t believe they sold you this watch. Ebay should remove them.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
eBay only deletes auctions after time. A seller cant delete an auction that has completed. Im confused.
It was deleted fast and in a hurry. I couldn't even leave feedback for it. When I go into my purchase history it shows it was there and says "ebay has removed this listing"
Old 27 July 2019, 08:54 AM   #5
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=336316
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
He and his wife are members here. PM them and have them join the thread:
https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=16133

https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=98066
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 09:37 AM   #7
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
He and his wife are members here. PM them and have them join the thread:
https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=16133

https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=98066
Hope the customer service is better responded to than in the 2014 thread. I fail
To understand how people like this can get away with it.

Good luck OP
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 02:04 AM   #8
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
Hope the customer service is better responded to than in the 2014 thread. I fail
To understand how people like this can get away with it.

Good luck OP
Jeff last checked in a week ago.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 04:28 AM   #9
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
After reading the 2014 thread and Hess's continuous lame excuses there and then his failure to respond creates enough doubt for me to avoid. Seems like a classic scammer. If you made a mistake and sold a fake watch, make it right and move on. It can happen it's life. However when he first claims ignorance (bracelet number is right... gotta check it, only to be pointed out by other forum members that its an obvious fake); then blames his Rolex trained tech... then his wife for not taking the listing down.... a sure confidence man. Always an excuse and never his fault.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 07:12 AM   #10
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Still waiting for the owner to respond.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 11:22 PM   #11
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Can you show more photos of the watch and the accesoires and warranty card close up please
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 12:09 AM   #12
RW88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
That's unfortunate. Hope buyer protection makes it right.
RW88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 01:20 AM   #13
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW88 View Post
That's unfortunate. Hope buyer protection makes it right.
And be sure to leave negative feedback to warn others
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 01:50 AM   #14
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Update on my situation and I need to apologize to Hess Auctions. After many hours on the phone with eBay and PayPal it was discovered that when I went to look at the watch on Hess Auctions on eBay (I clicked the link through a Google search) I was redirected to a scam page that looked and acted like an eBay page. From there it was all over. I purchased the Submariner unknowingly through this duplicate page. eBay is aware of these things happening but will not off refunds or buyer protection which I understand. They recommended filing with the FBI Cyber Crimes unit so we will see how that goes. Anyway, I’m still out my 8 grand and it willl take some time to save that back up again until I can purchase from a forum member. So that’s where I’m currently at. Sorry again to Hess. You all were victims in this as well. Admins please correct my original post for me. Thank you
Old 29 July 2019, 01:53 AM   #15
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

To clarify: you essentially googled "submariner for sale" and bought one from the first hit?

Let this be a lesson to anybody in the future; dont ever do that and always verify the link.

GL Avi8tor...
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 02:03 AM   #16
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update on my situation and I need to apologize to Hess Auctions. After many hours on the phone with eBay and PayPal it was discovered that when I went to look at the watch on Hess Auctions on eBay (I clicked the link through a Google search) I was redirected to a scam page that looked and acted like an eBay page. From there it was all over. I purchased the Submariner unknowingly through this duplicate page. eBay is aware of these things happening but will not off refunds or buyer protection which I understand. They recommended filing with the FBI Cyber Crimes unit so we will see how that goes. Anyway, I’m still out my 8 grand and it willl take some time to save that back up again until I can purchase from a forum member. So that’s where I’m currently at. Sorry again to Hess. You all were victims in this as well. Admins please correct my original post for me. Thank you
Damn son.. This is weird!! Can you please show us a up close of the watch and the warranty card? I'd like to see it in high resoltion to see what they actually sold you
Did you bought this with PayPal or mastercard? I guess those parties might be on your hand. When did you bought the watch exact ??
Old 29 July 2019, 02:25 AM   #17
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

That certainly explains why the linked 'Ebay' ad disappeared. That NEVER happens unless Ebay pulls it themselves in which case no one can complete a purchase.

How did OP make payment? Why isn't PP stepping up, I can understand why Ebay won't help? Hope you paid with Credit Card to have an extra level of protection. Never pay by direct debit from a bank account. Scammers ploys are getting increasingly more sophisticated.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 06:05 AM   #18
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Damn son.. This is weird!! Can you please show us a up close of the watch and the warranty card? I'd like to see it in high resoltion to see what they actually sold you
Did you bought this with PayPal or mastercard? I guess those parties might be on your hand. When did you bought the watch exact ??
Yep I will upload the best pics I can when I get to my work computer. USAA seems to be on my side since that is the card that was linked to PayPal. They are sending it up for review to see if they can put the money back in my account. Since it is a larger amount than most people get scammed out of I am not sure if it will get approved. We will see in a few days.
Old 29 July 2019, 07:10 AM   #19
offrdmania

Quote:
It was deleted fast and in a hurry. I couldn't even leave feedback for it. When I go into my purchase history it shows it was there and says "ebay has removed this listing"
I am still very confused. You said in a later post that you were on a scam page to buy the watch but in this post it says you were able to see the auction on your purchase history which is your real eBay page.

If this is true then eBay itself has been compromised and the hackers have built a fake page that is integrated into your real eBay page.
Old 29 July 2019, 07:18 AM   #20
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am still very confused. You said in a later post that you were on a scam page to buy the watch but in this post it says you were able to see the auction on your purchase history which is your real eBay page.

If this is true then eBay itself has been compromised and the hackers have built a fake page that is integrated into your real eBay page.
Or is he refering to purchase history on PayPal?
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 07:32 AM   #21
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Or is he refering to purchase history on PayPal?
Inquiring minds would like to know
Old 29 July 2019, 11:34 AM   #22
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Hess Fine Auctions

You have excellent buyer protection with eBay - no worries
Any issues, PM me I can try to help
Old 29 July 2019, 12:00 PM   #23
Wllnv19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
You have excellent buyer protection with eBay - no worries
Any issues, PM me I can try to help

According to his update on post #14 ...he didn’t buy it from Hess Auctions or off of eBay....he went to eBay via a google search... and got scammed by a eBay duplicate page.

SEE POST 14
Wllnv19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 12:01 PM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wllnv19 View Post
According to his update on post #14 ...he didn’t buy it from Hess Auctions or off of eBay....he went to eBay via a google search... and got scammed by a eBay duplicate page.

SEE POST 14
Thanks I missed that
A
Old 29 July 2019, 06:19 PM   #25
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Totally weird it is... I hope to see close ups soon. It could be also stolen watch for example? The accesoires that came with the watch looked like nothing offcourse but perhaps the watch is real but could be even stolen..
Old 29 July 2019, 07:50 PM   #26
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Wonder if the fake ebay page said he was logged in? This is getting serious, to have duplicate websites that look the same especially Ebay. I will now always keep an eye out for this. OP hope everything gets resolved! Thank you for the warning as well!

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 05:20 AM   #27
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Inquiring minds would like to know
Yes my PayPal I could see it. Explains why I couldn't see the listing on my ebay when I went back to leave feedback.
Old 30 July 2019, 05:30 AM   #28
Avi8tor
"TRF" Member

So as of today 29 July:

Contacted USAA since they were the card I had linked to PayPal. The rep sent it up for review to see if they can refund me since it could fall into the card fraud but it's a gray area for them so we'll see in a couple days when they get a response. USAA is pretty on point so if they do me right then that would be fantastic.

Not even going to bother posting pics because I opened the "warranty" sheet up and it's blank. It hasn't been filled out at all so I'm assuming it was purchased online somewhere and just thrown in there. The plastic warranty card itself is from Oeding-Erdel Munster / Osnabruck, which is a real Rolex dealer but the card has not been filled out either so obviously that's a fake. The Serial Number on that card does not match the Serial Number on the rehaut. No point now in trying to figure out if the watch is fake or not. I'm pretty certain it is.

It's a shame because the craftsmanship they put into a fake is actually pretty nice. The crown on the crystal is laser etched dots, the bracelet fits perfectly (may actually be a real Rolex bracelet on a fake dial, I don't know at this point)... The cyclops magnifies the small date window just like a real Rolex. The second hand sweeps very nicely as would a real one. The RolexRolexRolex engraving is spot on and everything functions just like a real Rolex would. The luminescence is wonderful, everything is smooth and refined. I can't get into it to see the movement but I'm assuming it's actually Swiss or a very good copy. I'll take it to my local watch service to open it up and see today.

Not justifying having the watch, just saying... these guys put a lot of time into this thing and it's crazy how close they got.

So all in all, hopefully USAA will come through for me. Watch yourselves when buying online anywhere. And, I will go to Tucson to the Ben Bridge for my Rolex purchase in the future.
Old 30 July 2019, 09:37 PM   #29
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So as of today 29 July:

Contacted USAA since they were the card I had linked to PayPal. The rep sent it up for review to see if they can refund me since it could fall into the card fraud but it's a gray area for them so we'll see in a couple days when they get a response. USAA is pretty on point so if they do me right then that would be fantastic.

Not even going to bother posting pics because I opened the "warranty" sheet up and it's blank. It hasn't been filled out at all so I'm assuming it was purchased online somewhere and just thrown in there. The plastic warranty card itself is from Oeding-Erdel Munster / Osnabruck, which is a real Rolex dealer but the card has not been filled out either so obviously that's a fake. The Serial Number on that card does not match the Serial Number on the rehaut. No point now in trying to figure out if the watch is fake or not. I'm pretty certain it is.

It's a shame because the craftsmanship they put into a fake is actually pretty nice. The crown on the crystal is laser etched dots, the bracelet fits perfectly (may actually be a real Rolex bracelet on a fake dial, I don't know at this point)... The cyclops magnifies the small date window just like a real Rolex. The second hand sweeps very nicely as would a real one. The RolexRolexRolex engraving is spot on and everything functions just like a real Rolex would. The luminescence is wonderful, everything is smooth and refined. I can't get into it to see the movement but I'm assuming it's actually Swiss or a very good copy. I'll take it to my local watch service to open it up and see today.

Not justifying having the watch, just saying... these guys put a lot of time into this thing and it's crazy how close they got.

So all in all, hopefully USAA will come through for me. Watch yourselves when buying online anywhere. And, I will go to Tucson to the Ben Bridge for my Rolex purchase in the future.
In my opinion you should check if the watch is registered as ''stolen'' because as it is, you probably can caught the thieves aswell get your money back...………. I would certainly want to know if the card of watch is/are genuine…
Old 30 July 2019, 10:38 PM   #30
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So as of today 29 July:

So are you going to post pics?
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote