The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2019, 12:52 PM   #1
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I don't think I'm going to comment on anyone else's watch in the wild anymore

So yesterday, while waiting for my drink at starbucks, I saw somebody wearing a platona. It was my first time ever seeing one in the wild and since I was wearing my sub, I figured we could talk about watches a bit. We were essentially side by side waiting for our drinks so I said a simple "hey man, nice watch". He didn't turn around for a few seconds and when he finally did, he gave me a quick grin and that was it. I felt like maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all. Maybe he thought I was blowing up his spot but I wasn't loud or obnoxious about it. I think from here out, I'll keep to myself as much as I'd rather give a compliment

What do you do when you see a grail watch in the wild?
Old 13 August 2019, 12:57 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
He acknowledged you, but didn't want to draw attention to it maybe? Or just doesn't like talking to strangers about it? No big deal, different strokes. Maybe the next guy will wanna chat watches.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I don't know man... You gotta be ready for any reaction when you do that - I've had good and bad personally, usually when traveling in airports and such. How do you feel when someone acknowledges your watch? - I still do it upon occasion if it feels right.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:00 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t open up with “nice watch”.

Seldom comment, but if anything I might say “how do you like the ___________?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:01 PM   #5
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I don’t like random people commenting on my watches in general. Especially when I’m staring something expensive. It’s awkward. Now if I look down and they’re wearing a nice watch too I get it and it wouldn’t be weird. So I’m your situation I’d expect s more positive reaction. But you just don’t know.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:02 PM   #6
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post
So yesterday, while waiting for my drink at starbucks, I saw somebody wearing a platona. It was my first time ever seeing one in the wild and since I was wearing my sub, I figured we could talk about watches a bit. We were essentially side by side waiting for our drinks so I said a simple "hey man, nice watch". He didn't turn around for a few seconds and when he finally did, he gave me a quick grin and that was it. I felt like maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all. Maybe he thought I was blowing up his spot but I wasn't loud or obnoxious about it. I think from here out, I'll keep to myself as much as I'd rather give a compliment

I like talking about watches, sometimes too much, but I'm also kind of put off if someone approaches in the wild. It will all come down to the persons personality and how reserved they are.

In some cultures it would also be seen as rude to approach someone about their watch, like some European countries. You would have to hope the watch wearer is serious enthusiast to spark any kind of conversation.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 PM   #7
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
I’ve seen one platona in the wild, was at dinner with the owner of Cos d’Estournel. He took it off and let me take a look - I was wearing my Milgauss GV, and his wife complemented me on mine. Apparently she gifted Michel the same watch years ago. The lady wore a Patek.

To your point, I appreciate when a fellow enthusiast comments on my watch, and I enjoy the watch talk. Some don’t I guess unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 PM   #8
DTap
"TRF" Member

Any chance you’re 6’8” 250 lbs and really mean looking?

When I was a kid, “nice sneakers” meant you were about to walk home barefoot if your next move was wrong.
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:03 PM   #9
thepress83
"TRF" Member

I've struck up a lovely conversation with a guy at a dive bar over my 116234 that he commented on from across the room. I'd say keep being friendly it was nice to chat with a WIS in the wild over a 36mm dress watch. I appreciated the conversation.
thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:05 PM   #10
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
I had a very nice conversation with someone at Starbucks while waiting for our coffees. He saw my green sub and said “hey nice watch, I have the same one”. He wasn’t wearing a watch, but quickly gave me a list of awesome watches he owns (black Daytona, Pepsi, hulk). Made the wait for my coffee go by much faster .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:07 PM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I don’t like random people commenting on my watches in general. Especially when I’m staring something expensive. It’s awkward. Now if I look down and they’re wearing a nice watch too I get it and it wouldn’t be weird. So I’m your situation I’d expect s more positive reaction. But you just don’t know.
Yes its definitely awkward, exactly how I feel about it. I like to talk about watches online, or at a watch event, and with friends, but with random strangers something feels off.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
That was me at SBUX. Sorry i was in a bit of a bad mood as they screwed up my dub espresso. I get guys with SS subs all the time trying to talk to me about my Beast watch. Sorry i was rude. (Actually I’m just kinda sorry)....;)
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:11 PM   #13
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
That was me at SBUX. Sorry i was in a bit of a bad mood as they screwed up my dub espresso. I get guys with SS subs all the time trying to talk to me about my Beast watch. Sorry i was rude. (Actually I’m just kinda sorry)....;)
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:11 PM   #14
afjag256
"TRF" Member

He was probably afraid you might mention aloud that he was wearing a watch worth $60k+.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:12 PM   #15
GJ-PGMTII
"TRF" Member

I don't think I'm going to comment on anyone else's watch in the wild anymore

Some people are weird that’s all.

I always say nice watch or cool watch.

Couple months ago I saw a guy in line ahead of me at the snack store at the airport with PP Aquanaut. As he turned to leave, I said nice watch and he seemed bewildered or nervous, quickly said thanks and walked away.

But other people seem to appreciate the compliment.

Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GJ-PGMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:14 PM   #16
rolexryan329
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post
Any chance you’re 6’8” 250 lbs and really mean looking?

When I was a kid, “nice sneakers” meant you were about to walk home barefoot if your next move was wrong.
quite the opposite! 5'6, athletic friendly dude. Definitely wasn't a threat to him lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
He was probably afraid you might mention aloud that he was wearing a watch worth $60k+.
I think this was the case. I assumed he didn't want that bit leaking out
Old 13 August 2019, 01:15 PM   #17
Toe_Fuz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth..
Need secret code, should open with "Nice ______, TRF?" if they go "What?" you say "Huh?" and stand there and bask in your awkward. But if "Yeah" then you nerdgasm over watches together, practically speaking a foreign language to those around you.
Toe_Fuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:18 PM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post

That's possible, but it'd be tacky for two guys who know what it is to mention price.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:24 PM   #19
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
I was once in a not so great shopping mall with my aging father. Behind me was a 6'5" gentleman with gold teeth wearing an oversized gold fashion watch by who knows who.

My father prides himself on his gift of gab and ability to strike up a conversation with anyone.

We had just come from a fancy dinner and I was wearing my DSSD that night. I wasn't too keen about being in this mall with it as this mall was infamous for robberies and unsolved murders.

My dad, bless is heart, spins around to Mr. Giganto and says, "Wow, your watch is big...son... show this man your watch.

I flashed it quickly and pretended to get a phone call and left the store.

My father and I had a conversation about situational awareness and the need to not speak to every human one comes in contact with.

I go by the better safe than sorry philosophy and tend to keep to myself. Pops...not so much.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:34 PM   #20
amilch
"TRF" Member

There are some really uptight people out there. Maybe he was having a rough day.
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:37 PM   #21
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post

It’s like when a Toyota Corolla tries to race your Porsche!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:41 PM   #22
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I say keep doing it, don’t let a bad experience prevent you from looking for other good experiences (sounds like love advice haha)

I complimented a dude with a 16610 at Starbucks one day. He looked at my wrist and said something like “wow, your Datejust is really nice, is it brand new?”

I said “no, it’s a couple of months old. How long have you had your sub for?”

Then he told me he’s had it for 24 years I think?

That his dad gave it to him for high school graduation, and now that he collects watches, he intends to keep the tradition going.

When he finally got his drink he said “take care dude!” or something like that.

Not a SERIOUS watch conversation, but I enjoyed it.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:43 PM   #23
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
All these comments are making me feel like a jerk! Meet me at the coffee shop Thursday at 1:15 (dont be late)! Ill let you stand no closer than 3 feet from me and look at my watch. I’m doing this bc I’m the best, my watch is the best, and i like to give back from time to time to the less fortunate. Address me as THE Man when you see me. You’re welcome!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:50 PM   #24
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTap View Post

Dude... this is so true.

OP, if I don’t know the person I usually just smile and say thanks. That’s it. I only know one guy who likes watches in my social circle who has a broader knowledge base in watches outside of aesthetics.

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:51 PM   #25
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post

He gave a quick grin and didn't want to chat anymore about it. Seems like an okay answer. Some want to chat and some don't. I think you swearing off ever commenting again about a fellow WIS' wrist wear is a little extreme.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 01:53 PM   #26
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
In some cultures it would also be seen as rude to approach someone about their watch, like some European countries.
Can you be more specific about where in Europe that's rude? I just got back from Europe and had multiple watch conservations with WIS from multiple countries.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:56 PM   #27
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I say keep doing it, don’t let a bad experience prevent you from looking for other good experiences (sounds like love advice haha)

I complimented a dude with a 16610 at Starbucks one day. He looked at my wrist and said something like “wow, your Datejust is really nice, is it brand new?”

That his dad gave it to him for high school graduation, and now that he collects watches, he intends to keep the tradition going.

Agreed. You never know what convo will come of it. I noticed a Day Date on a plane and struck up a convo. He was a TV producer, cannabis producer who got his diamond encrusted rose gold Day Date from his dad who passed away.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:59 PM   #28
Noah860
"TRF" Member

This is a sticky situation. Quite frankly, a submariner is a timex in comparison to a platona right? Mind you I’ve owned many subs and always feel in the upper crust while wearing one. Now take into account the mood, setting, timing of mentioning the said “nice watch”. I own a small business, the “I like your watch” comment is always welcome. But....for some people, it may make them uncomfortable. And the guy who spent 60k or more on any watch is certainly different than a guy who was okay with spending 10k.

All that crap said, I like to talk about watches and maybe learn something I didn’t know or make a new friend. I ALWAYS make conversation about a watch I recognize as a talking point. You shouldn’t feel frustrated by one knuckleheads response.
Noah860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:05 PM   #29
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Agreed. You never know what convo will come of it. I noticed a Day Date on a plane and struck up a convo. He was a TV producer, cannabis producer who got his diamond encrusted rose gold Day Date from his dad who passed away.

Holy smokes! That’s quite the story. I haven’t really met someone that unique yet.

Also met a dude with a DD36... he said his wife bought it for him for their 10 wedding anniversary like 18 years ago?

Something like that.

But same thing, super cool guy to talk to.

Most of these conversations last maybe 3 minutes tops for me, but sometimes it makes my day!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 02:05 PM   #30
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

NY and Texas...different worlds, Lol.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote