The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 December 2019, 11:51 AM   #1
singaporepatek
Banned

Patek pathway to Nautilus

What amount of purchase history is good enough to get allocated Nautilus in today’s market from AD? For people on here with a Nautilus new from AD, what other Pateks did you first buy before getting offered opportunity to buy Nautilus? Sorry for my post English not my first language.
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 12:04 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Suggest you speak with your AD on this. The answer varies from one AD to another.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Patek pathway to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
What amount of purchase history is good enough to get allocated Nautilus in today’s market from AD? For people on here with a Nautilus new from AD, what other Pateks did you first buy before getting offered opportunity to buy Nautilus? Sorry for my post English not my first language.

The answer to this will vary tremendously by where someone is located in the world and further where the AD is located...the law of supply and demand will vary within the different geographic areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 01:17 PM   #4
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
In Singapore... Probably need to clean out everything in their showcase.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 02:28 PM   #5
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Suggest you speak with your AD on this. The answer varies from one AD to another.

I did. They are vague and won’t give straight answer. So I’m hoping to hear everyone else’s experience to just get a good idea.
Old 18 December 2019, 03:02 PM   #6
santiago
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I waited about 6 months after I asked my AD. But my relationship goes back a decade. 5 Patek's, 11 Rolex's and lots of jewelry. Loyalty works both ways
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 03:11 PM   #7
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
I waited about 6 months after I asked my AD. But my relationship goes back a decade. 5 Patek's, 11 Rolex's and lots of jewelry. Loyalty works both ways

Which Patek?
Old 18 December 2019, 03:15 PM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

My first Patek was a 5711 blue dial from an an AD. But that was in 2014. Paid in full in August, received in November. First purchase from that AD.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
I did. They are vague and won’t give straight answer. So I’m hoping to hear everyone else’s experience to just get a good idea.
What kind of vague answer do they give you? Which Nautilus are you looking for, and what have you purchased from them so far?

Hourglass or Cortina or Emperor?
Old 18 December 2019, 07:02 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Couple of thoughts:

1) Each case is different and the experience of others won't help much.

2) It depends a lot on where you are and where your AD is.

In Europe it has been hard to get a Nautilus for many years if not always, in the US the craze started later, not sure about the timing in Asia.

3) War stories from years ago are meaningless today.

I'll give you mine anyway. Wempe in my city in Europe basically said no when I wanted to get on the wait list for a 5711 blue as a first time buyer in late 2015. In contrast the AD in my small home town accepted me on the list after a thorough interview. In a pretty transparent process they could always tell me where I was on the list and provide an idea when to expect delivery. After a 2.5 year wait I got a 5711 blue w/o purchase history in mid-2018.

4) I'd rather go preowned than develop a purchase history or accept bundling.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 11:41 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Bring a 9 year old
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 11:44 PM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Bring a 9 year old
You getting your RM soon?
Old 18 December 2019, 11:45 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
You getting your RM soon?
Yes... suppose to be Dec. my guy is waiting on his last deliveries but could spill into Jan.

Also chose not to buy the 33-02. Wife didn’t like the black tpt case
Old 19 December 2019, 12:31 AM   #14
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

In Singapore? Even an Aquanaut is hard to come by now.

2 years ago still possible (got mine - white dial - in April 2017) without any purchase history of any Patek piece, now...almost impossible unless you are willing to wait a long time & of course develop a relationship with Patek at one of the 3 ADs listed above.
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 12:35 AM   #15
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Patek boutique in Beverly Hills (one of the very few boutiques in the US) told me that it is so hard to get an Aquanaut that they threw the five-year waiting list out the window, there is no longer any list no matter who you are. But if one came into their store I am sure it would go to a Hollywood star.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 01:27 AM   #16
Joey5622
"TRF" Member

I wish they would make it easier for us to purchase their watches... basically only resellers benefit from them...
Joey5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 01:30 AM   #17
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie@SIN View Post
In Singapore? Even an Aquanaut is hard to come by now.

2 years ago still possible (got mine - white dial - in April 2017) without any purchase history of any Patek piece, now...almost impossible unless you are willing to wait a long time & of course develop a relationship with Patek at one of the 3 ADs listed above.
Actually it's not that difficult in SG. I bought a 5196G and 5140G at a store on Orchard Road this year. Without me asking, they have offered to put my name down for an Aquanaut or Nautilus, but I declined as I already have what I want. (I live in Hong Kong but flew down to SG buy the watches.)

Now of course, they might know I don't want a Nautilus/Aquanaut and so that's why they asked me. Because I never asked them for a Nautilus/Aquanaut. I was was basically begging them to find me a 5140G and flew down within 3 days after they found one for me.

Or perhaps it might just be a polite "offer" to put me down on a waiting list and I'll never get it, since it's not a transparent process.

It helps if you get referred by someone who is a good client. I have a friend in Singapore (a well known surgeon) who got a 5711 white quite quickly, having no purchase history but was referred by his friend who is well known to the store.

I guess with Patek there's no set pathway, and everybody has a different story to tell.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 01:34 AM   #18
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Bring a 9 year old
So Jonathan, curious - did RM AD require a deposit to get on list? Can an ordinary mortal order one ? Thanks, your pal james
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 01:38 AM   #19
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

Got my nautilus in 6 months time from initially telling the ad i was intrested, i was quoted 2 years so needless to say i was quite stunned to have it on my wrist already... no previous history at that shop but a 1 year 4 watches history (3 yg 1 steelsports) at a other store from the same group
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 02:17 AM   #20
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
So Jonathan, curious - did RM AD require a deposit to get on list? Can an ordinary mortal order one ? Thanks, your pal james
You create a relationship by buying something :(

Then you pay full price to get on the list. A full deposit...once they take your deposit it means they’ve accepted your place... some people don’t have to put deposits if they are tight with the boutique... I had to put a deposit.

Usually they will only ask for a deposit if they can get it for u next few months
Old 19 December 2019, 08:00 AM   #21
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
Actually it's not that difficult in SG. I bought a 5196G and 5140G at a store on Orchard Road this year. Without me asking, they have offered to put my name down for an Aquanaut or Nautilus, but I declined as I already have what I want. (I live in Hong Kong but flew down to SG buy the watches.)

Now of course, they might know I don't want a Nautilus/Aquanaut and so that's why they asked me. Because I never asked them for a Nautilus/Aquanaut. I was was basically begging them to find me a 5140G and flew down within 3 days after they found one for me.

Or perhaps it might just be a polite "offer" to put me down on a waiting list and I'll never get it, since it's not a transparent process.

It helps if you get referred by someone who is a good client. I have a friend in Singapore (a well known surgeon) who got a 5711 white quite quickly, having no purchase history but was referred by his friend who is well known to the store.

I guess with Patek there's no set pathway, and everybody has a different story to tell.
Yup a referral from a VIP will definitely help a lot

I think waiting list is one thing, the actual shipment is another thing. There is like only 1-2 pieces of Nautilus 5711 and Aquanaut allocated to each outlet every month (correct me if I am wrong) that will take some time to clear!
Old 19 December 2019, 09:00 AM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think waiting list is one thing, the actual shipment is another thing. There is like only 1-2 pieces of Nautilus 5711 and Aquanaut allocated to each outlet every month (correct me if I am wrong) that will take some time to clear!
I doubt referral helps for Nautilus or Aquanauts because the allocation follows an individual's purchase history. Unless the VIP is willing to spend on his/her friend's behalf and have the watch under his/her friend's name, then it will be useful. The name in AD's database will be reflected as the friend's instead of the VIP's name for future allocation.

I can only think of limited circumstances why a VIP will spend that way, ie, for his/her family members, or for mistresses/boyfriends/girlfriends.

Have you been automatically offered an Aquanaut or Nautilus after buying a couple of watches from AD in the past 1 to 2 years, or heard of your friends' purchase experiences? I have not encountered such generous AD in Singapore personally.
Old 19 December 2019, 09:32 AM   #23
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My understanding is the average AD gets about 2 blue and 2 white Nautilus 5711 a year rather than 1-2 pieces a month. No clue about Aquanaut.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 11:03 AM   #24
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I doubt referral helps for Nautilus or Aquanauts because the allocation follows an individual's purchase history. Unless the VIP is willing to spend on his/her friend's behalf and have the watch under his/her friend's name, then it will be useful. The name in AD's database will be reflected as the friend's instead of the VIP's name for future allocation.

I can only think of limited circumstances why a VIP will spend that way, ie, for his/her family members, or for mistresses/boyfriends/girlfriends.

Have you been automatically offered an Aquanaut or Nautilus after buying a couple of watches from AD in the past 1 to 2 years, or heard of your friends' purchase experiences? I have not encountered such generous AD in Singapore personally.
I guess so with the limited amount of Nautilus and/or Aquanauts allocated right now! That’s why I also mentioned that developing a relationship with the ADs will certainly be the key as a way of accumulating purchase history with them.

Using my own case of how I acquired the Nautilus in April 2017:
- I bought two non-Rolex or Patek watches with the same AD (but different outlets) over the space of 3 years (2013-2016) and put up my name in different ADs for a 5711
- I was called up in 3rd quarter 2016 by two ADs about the white 5711 but didn’t respond back
- in March 2017, I made enquiries again to the same AD that called me earlier and casually mentioned that I will still be interested in a white 5711
- within a few weeks, I received a call saying that one white was available and this time I didn’t hesitated!

Likewise, the recent purchase of the 7234A was also due to a casual visit to the same AD (but different outlet) with a new SA that handled my request this time round. Put up my name right after the exhibition ended in early Oct 2019 and received a message on the allocation 1.5 month later! Collected the watch in early December.
Old 19 December 2019, 11:17 AM   #25
Josh1000
Banned

I have had no problems getting a 5712, 5990 and two 5164R for friends this year. However thus does takes up my "favours" at the AD and i am conscious it will deprive other owners by jumping the queue. However I always have the caveat to give to the next person if he thinks he deserves it. However I also take on the responsibility of the buyer. One guy flipped his after 2 months and that put me in an embarrassing position as I basically vouched for him. So I am very cautious
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 11:24 AM   #26
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was me, not my friend.

They offered to put my name on the list - I wasn't offered one to buy right away - after getting the 5140 in October 2019 (and the 5196 a few months before that).

Putting name on list doesn't mean I've been offered one - it's just an offer to put my name on the list which might never materialize. It's probably just a kind gesture.

In any case I don't need any more Nautilus or Aquanaut and so I said no thanks.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 12:10 PM   #27
Commonproject
Banned

If you're starting now, it's probably $100k
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 12:32 PM   #28
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
I have had no problems getting a 5712, 5990 and two 5164R for friends this year. However thus does takes up my "favours" at the AD and i am conscious it will deprive other owners by jumping the queue. However I always have the caveat to give to the next person if he thinks he deserves it. However I also take on the responsibility of the buyer. One guy flipped his after 2 months and that put me in an embarrassing position as I basically vouched for him. So I am very cautious
Mercedes does a lot of favours too...
Old 19 December 2019, 01:38 PM   #29
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

$2.6 million dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 December 2019, 03:23 PM   #30
tp.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
If you're starting now, it's probably $100k
That will only probably get you on the ‘list’ with no guarantee..

2 years ago a PCC purchase guarantees you next in line for a 5711 blue.
tp. is offline   Reply With Quote