The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2020, 03:54 AM   #1
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II COKE
Cosmograph Daytona Oystersteel

Hello There !

I have seen the price went up in January for this Watch by 5,000 Canadian dollars...
I would still love to own it, but here in Montreal, no store is able to get it for me and even told me it is useless to be on a waiting list (how come)!

I even have a cousin working at Rolex telling me that this model is impossible to get new, unless I want the white gold selling for 2-3 time the oyster listing price.

Do you guys know why they still display the oyster on their website if it is impossible to buy one ?

thanks.

Elrafo

GMT Master II Coke
Elrafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:56 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrafo View Post

Do you guys know why they still display the oyster on their website if it is impossible to buy one ?
Because Rolex makes them and the dealers sell them to someone other than you.

Simple.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #3
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I don’t think the 116500 went up 5k Canadian...

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:05 AM   #4
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

simple like that, I see so you have to deserve it right ? how selection is made ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Simple.
Old 4 January 2020, 04:06 AM   #5
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

It was listed on the website 2 months ago for 10,500 CAD, I see it now for 15,500...

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Old 4 January 2020, 04:07 AM   #6
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
By spending lots of cash with your AD...
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
simple like that, I see so you have to deserve it right ? how selection is made ?
By making it worthwhile for the dealer to sell it to you
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #8
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I think you need to check your stats. The increase on the SS Daytona was $1,250 CAD. And the PM models all increased under $5,000. Closer to $3,000.

If you have a cousin working at Rolex, you should be well-versed by him or her on why its the case.

There is no mystery. The watch has been popular since the late 80s. And the waitlist appeared in the 2000s (with an exception of maybe a year or two just before the Ceramic bezel arrived).

On a waiting list, with you current status (no knowledge, no purchase history), absolutely zero chance. If you have tons of cash, perhaps you can spend your way to one either buying numerous watches from an AD or going grey.

However, before all of that, I suggest you read this forum page by page as Daytona is probably mentioned a billion times or even click 5 times on rolex.com or rolex.ca and you'll see the SS Daytona right in front of you (per your query). It's not a mystery, just do your homework. I understand you're new to forum but definitely not new to google. The dedication already shown to research the market history of the watch or even look on the website is a reflection of your likelyhood of getting the Daytona.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #9
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I was at watches of Switzerland in soho New York few days ago looking at other brands. The salesman saw me wearing my 116500 and comments that he gets at least 10 requests everyday.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:30 AM   #10
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
Elrafo - let me see if I can help you out here sir. First, there are going to be several people who step out to "flame" you. Just ignore their less than helpful comments.

Now, onto your question. They are not impossible to get, but it does take work. You have to be dedicated to your goal, be willing to wait and I'll be up front and note that it is not a poor man's game to play.

First, identify multiple AD's in Montreal, preferably those with jewelry or other watches. Go in, introduce yourself and find a person to develop a rapport with and let them know of your goal. Talk about them (not just you and your desires). Talk about the model, the movement, show them that you're a watch guy, not just somebody who thinks they "deserve" something. Visit them and visit them often. Get their cell and drop them a text every once in awhile.

Second, buy jewelry or other watches from the sales rep to help "establish" that relationship. Remember, these guys make their living off the other items in the store.

Third - be patient, visit them, continue to reiterate your desired piece, get on the list but don't get greedy. The last thing they want to deal with is somebody is self entitled people.

Bottom line is it takes time, energy, effort and money to show them you'll keep your business with their establishment. It took me just shy of a year but I got mine and it's because I established my relationship and my rep stood up and advocated on my behalf.

Do this and it'll come in time. Good luck.
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:34 AM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The world wants one .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #12
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are plenty of awesome Rolex watches you can get your hands on. Every single Rolex has the same DNA as a Daytona and are great in their own right. I would advise you to do some more research and maybe you will find other models that you will love. I have owned four Daytona's and sold each one because I found the myth more interesting than the watch itself. Don't get mee wrong, many love the Daytona but its not the Grail watch for everybody.....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Amen
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #14
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

There are easily accessible daytona's
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #15
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Half gold version is possible. PM very easy to get at a discount. Or pay near PM prices and get one now (black dial) for $23K.

Black or white dial?
Old 4 January 2020, 04:57 AM   #16
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Welcome OP.

Ask your cousin.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:58 AM   #17
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
There is an AD in Quebec City, have you tried there too?
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:16 AM   #18
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:

Simple.
LOL, truth hurts.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 05:23 AM   #19
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

Unnecessary Flames, you’ve certainly been new to something yourself one day and happy to be supported in your lack of experience:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
LOL, truth hurts.
Old 4 January 2020, 05:28 AM   #20
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Makes totally sense as I am mostly experienced in pre owned rolex at the moment. I wilk make sure to have a deeper understanding of the “new” market and discussions with AD. I also understand the offer and demand issue, less happy to see how it works to deserve it . Thanks for this CONSTRUCTIVE feedback ! 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxtactic View Post
Elrafo - let me see if I can help you out here sir. First, there are going to be several people who step out to "flame" you. Just ignore their less than helpful comments.

Now, onto your question. They are not impossible to get, but it does take work. You have to be dedicated to your goal, be willing to wait and I'll be up front and note that it is not a poor man's game to play.

First, identify multiple AD's in Montreal, preferably those with jewelry or other watches. Go in, introduce yourself and find a person to develop a rapport with and let them know of your goal. Talk about them (not just you and your desires). Talk about the model, the movement, show them that you're a watch guy, not just somebody who thinks they "deserve" something. Visit them and visit them often. Get their cell and drop them a text every once in awhile.

Second, buy jewelry or other watches from the sales rep to help "establish" that relationship. Remember, these guys make their living off the other items in the store.

Third - be patient, visit them, continue to reiterate your desired piece, get on the list but don't get greedy. The last thing they want to deal with is somebody is self entitled people.

Bottom line is it takes time, energy, effort and money to show them you'll keep your business with their establishment. It took me just shy of a year but I got mine and it's because I established my relationship and my rep stood up and advocated on my behalf.

Do this and it'll come in time. Good luck.
Old 4 January 2020, 07:24 AM   #21
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By making it worthwhile for the dealer to sell it to you
I thought luxury watch owners were people with taste for craftsmanship and uniqueness , but not looking down elitists ? :) might got it wrong !

My Maserati dealer didn’t look me down when I bought my first Quattroporte :)
Old 4 January 2020, 07:30 AM   #22
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Welcome! The ceramic Daytona is the pretty much the most hyped reference in the current Rolex lineup. The demand is purely astronomical and ADs have long lists of loyal customers waiting for their number to be pulled.

They are, however EASILY accessible on the secondary market for aa
75% plus premium. If you want one today. And overpay for a mass produced modern wristwatch.

What did they say at Chateau D’Ivoire? I visited them when my wife and I vacationed in Montreal a few Christmases ago. (Is that who you went to locally?)

Good luck!
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:05 AM   #23
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It was listed on the website 2 months ago for 10,500 CAD, I see it now for 15,500...
Which model were you looking at specifically? $10,500 CAD is way, way too low for any Daytona model.

Either way, perhaps your cousin can help get you one. Rolex employees are allowed to apply for a Daytona via a lottery system and purchase it at cost. But, since it's a lottery there's no guarantee his name will be picked or that it will be picked soon. But, ask him about it. It might be quicker than trying to purchase through a dealer.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:05 AM   #24
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

hello,
I met a very nice dealer in Montreal (bijouterie Italienne) and I will certainly come back and talk to him. I will spend more time with this AD as I have a good feeling about this dealer and it's close to my job.
on the other hand, I agree that the pre owned market is also a very good option, if I don't want and have the time to spend too much energy to be in the highly demanded new Dayto team :)

I went to Maison Birks in Montreal, they have almost nothing in stock, not even the GMT Master, which I own and Love !

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Welcome! The ceramic Daytona is the pretty much the most hyped reference in the current Rolex lineup. The demand is purely astronomical and ADs have long lists of loyal customers waiting for their number to be pulled.

They are, however EASILY accessible on the secondary market for aa
75% plus premium. If you want one today. And overpay for a mass produced modern wristwatch.

What did they say at Chateau D’Ivoire? I visited them when my wife and I vacationed in Montreal a few Christmases ago. (Is that who you went to locally?)

Good luck!
Old 4 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #25
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

hello ! I might be wrong for the previous price, it is now 15,500 CAD, I will certainly talk again to my Cousin but even for him and his own wife this is a very difficult Item to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Which model were you looking at specifically? $10,500 CAD is way, way too low for any Daytona model.

Either way, perhaps your cousin can help get you one. Rolex employees are allowed to apply for a Daytona via a lottery system and purchase it at cost. But, since it's a lottery there's no guarantee his name will be picked or that it will be picked soon. But, ask him about it. It might be quicker than trying to purchase through a dealer.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:10 AM   #26
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
hello ! I might be wrong for the previous price, it is now 15,500 CAD, I will certainly talk again to my Cousin but even for him and his own wife this is a very difficult Item to get.
Indeed it is. It's a popular model, period, and I imagine many employees have applied for one.

Good luck in your hunt!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:48 AM   #27
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
The SS Daytona has been hot for a good 20 plus years. I don't think that will change anytime soon. If you want one, look into going grey, or spend a nice chunk with your local AD, if anything else appeals to you. Good luck to you!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #28
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:

Simple.
That's a good one!
Old 4 January 2020, 10:17 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Either go TT, PM, or grey dealer. That's the best you can do.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:20 AM   #30
Elrafo
"TRF" Member

yup ! and if the watch comes with this kind of pretentious behavior, I don't want to own it anymore ;) cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
That's a good one!