The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2020, 03:42 AM   #1
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

What is your most "storied" watch.

Speedmaster First Watch on the Moon

The president, gold date just.

Many collectors buy watches that have been in movies, or celebrities have worn for the association.

I wanted to know is there anyone here that has done any unique traveling, odd hobbys (Diving, climbing, horse riding), owned a watch through the launch of a successful business?

Thought it'd be a cool topic because I think it's cool when people build out their own legacy and storied to be told (through a unique watch). Could be something passed down as well.
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #2
pepsiretail
Banned

I left my OP 1005 on a desk in an exam hall for about six or seven hours. Went back late at night and got a custodial staff to let me in. It was exactly where I had left it!

Good times
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
I left my OP 1005 on a desk in an exam hall for about six or seven hours. Went back late at night and got a custodial staff to let me in. It was exactly where I had left it!

Good times
geeeeeeeeez lol. Talk about a goodluck piece.
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:24 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Vintage OMEGA DeVille gold tank. It was a dress watch when I was working retail, though had some personal situations so had to clean up my act for a year. My oldest brother was working as a programmer / coder for Apple in the 80s, Digital, Ashton-Tate, etc and needed a dress watch so lent it to him. He lived in San Francisco and claimed an earthquake damage the watch.

Years later on his deathbed at the age of 33 (1994) he confessed to me that he really loved the watch and it was fine ....and gave it back to me. He passed away a few weeks later. It's the most valuable watch within my collection (am not referring to price).

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:28 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Probably the one I found at an estate sale. You know, the 18K stamped Explorer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:40 AM   #6
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Vintage OMEGA DeVille gold tank. It was a dress watch when I was working retail, though had some personal situations so had to clean up my act for a year. My oldest brother was working as a programmer / coder for Apple in the 80s, Digital, Ashton-Tate, etc and needed a dress watch so lent it to him. He lived in San Francisco and claimed an earthquake damage the watch.

Years later on his deathbed at the age of 33 (1994) he confessed to me that he really loved the watch ....and gave it back to me. He passed away a few weeks later. It's the most valuable watch within my collection, and am not referring to the price.
Just wanted to acknowledge this post. Poignant story.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
What is your most "storied" watch.

My 1601 DJ. It belonged to my father before me and I wore it as my only Rolex for years. It’s been with me around the world. From ice cold nights in Tromsø, to warm tropical days in the Maldives, and even through the blazing hot furnace that is Death Valley in the summer. It has accompanied me through my life’s accomplishments and the occasions when I hit rock bottom. It has been with me through many adventures as well from 30m below sea level to 14,000 feet above.

Sadly, I noted signs of deterioration in the bracelet such as the clasp popping open frequently and not remaining securely locked like it used to. So now it’s worn as part of a rotation. It still gets preference for family events and formal occasions.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:05 AM   #8
doramas
Banned

Datejust 16234 by Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

I published it in a post

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=621617
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #9
cat1pro
"TRF" Member

an early 70s rolex submariner that was worn by an nypd officer. I have all the service records including his notes of what he was having done.
cat1pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:21 AM   #10
British-GT
"TRF" Member

My Chronoswiss timemaster fly back was on my wrist for the majority of my career as a professional racing driver, this watch saw 3 championship wins a 24 win and numerous other big days, it’s graced circuits such as Spa Francorchamps, Silverstone and Monza, owning this watch also started my relationship with Chronoswiss as my main sponsor which brought visits to Basel world in 2006 and 2007. It’s a very special piece to me.

Iv always owned a Rolex though since 1988 current model is a 2016 214270 currently at Rolex having warranty work done on the rotor!
British-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:34 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Just wanted to acknowledge this post. Poignant story.
A most humble thanks. He is missed dearly, was an incredibly brilliant coder, futurist, and above all a very kind man. Started webmastering months after he passed away and there's a website online (same as my username) that is still going strong now celebrating its' 25th anniversary. From Day 1 dedicated the site in his memory.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11 January 2020, 06:32 AM   #12
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by British-GT View Post
My Chronoswiss timemaster fly back was on my wrist for the majority of my career as a professional racing driver, this watch saw 3 championship wins a 24 win and numerous other big days, it’s graced circuits such as Spa Francorchamps, Silverstone and Monza, owning this watch also started my relationship with Chronoswiss as my main sponsor which brought visits to Basel world in 2006 and 2007. It’s a very special piece to me.

Iv always owned a Rolex though since 1988 current model is a 2016 214270 currently at Rolex having warranty work done on the rotor!

That’s a nice looking watch, I had to look it up.

My respects to you for being a professional driver, I’m going to start doing Autocross events soon, and doing a little bit of super lap events as well.

I’m sure I’ll learn a lot.

I was looking for a cheap chrono to use, is there anything you would recommend?
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #13
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A most humble thanks. He is missed dearly, was an incredibly brilliant coder, futurist, and above all a very kind man. Started webmastering months after he passed away and there's a website online (same as my username) that is still going strong now celebrating its' 25th anniversary. From Day 1 dedicated the site in his memory.
That much resonated with your words and I checked out the site. Very cool. I once had a pair of Audio Note AN-J's though my foray into audiophilia was a fail but still think it's a great passion. And of course espresso.
Old 11 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #14
platinum574
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date, SD43, DJ
thanks for the tears- lovely story

Quote:

Years later on his deathbed at the age of 33 (1994) he confessed to me that he really loved the watch and it was fine ....and gave it back to me. He passed away a few weeks later. It's the most valuable watch within my collection (am not referring to price).

platinum574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:30 AM   #15
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
My 1601 DJ. It belonged to my father before me and I wore it as my only Rolex for years. It’s been with me around the world. From ice cold nights in Tromsø, to warm tropical days in the Maldives, and even through the blazing hot furnace that is Death Valley in the summer. It has accompanied me through my life’s accomplishments and the occasions when I hit rock bottom. It has been with me through many adventures as well from 30m below sea level to 14,000 feet above.

Sadly, I noted signs of deterioration in the bracelet such as the clasp popping open frequently and not remaining securely locked like it used to. So now it’s worn as part of a rotation. It still gets preference for family events and formal occasions.
Have you try bending the blade part of the clasp just a little? This will help tightening the clasp. Give it a try.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:40 AM   #16
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

1972 1675 GMT

I don't know about storied but it's been with me since 2001, shared life's vicissitudes and been a reliable friend.

It did give me my worst moment as a Rolex owner. One Saturday, I was going to have lunch at Keller's Drive In on E NW Hwy in Dallas. Burgers, long necks and carhops that have been there 40 years in some cases. On weekends people bring their classic cars to show off while they drink beer and tell lies.

Keller's likes cash so a stop at the drive through ATM was indicated. Heading for a fun afternoon I looked down and my GMT was gone. I instantly knew what had happened, I had lost it at the ATM! I made an ugly U turn and sped crazily toward the bank. I felt around the seat but no joy.

I may have committed some felonies getting back to the bank and as I pulled into the lot the drive through had 4 cars lined up. My beautiful 1675 was either crushed or on the wrist of some jerk who was laughing maniacally at his good fortune.

In despair I tried on the side of the seat one last time and felt the coolness of sweet Rolexian steel. My idiotic driving had forced it back out of it's hiding place under the edge of the seat. A spring bar had given way. Since then any watch that comes to my house immediately gets a new set of spring bars. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:45 AM   #17
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
My 1986 DD Tridor. An old girlfriend of mine had been shopping for a lightly used Platinum DD for years without success. Finally, in 1994 she was at an AD who said he could get her a NOS Tridor (with an 8900 serial # circa 1986) for around $14K (retail then was about $20,400) ... the watch had been sitting in a vault at Rolex Geneva and had a YG bezel and white dial. She said she'd take it since she wanted a nice DD, but insisted on the WG bezel (authorized by Rolex) and rhodium roman dial. She got it and wore it for a while. Then, when we hooked up, I fell in love with the watch ... at that point, she had sourced a lightly used Platinum DD for a good price. So, in 1999, I bought the Tridor from her at a good discount (all boxes and papers included) and she then bought the Plat. by adding some $$ to what I paid for the Tridor. I don't know what happened to her, but I sure know how well the Tridor is doing still.
Old 11 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #18
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
My 1986 DD Tridor. An old girlfriend of mine had been shopping for a lightly used Platinum DD for years without success. Finally, in 1994 she was at an AD who said he could get her a NOS Tridor (with an 8900 serial # circa 1985-86) for around $14K (retail then was about $20,400) ... the watch had been sitting in a vault at Rolex Geneva and had a YG bezel and white dial. She said she'd take it since she wanted a nice DD, but insisted on the WG bezel and rhodium roman dial. She got it and wore it for a while. Then, when we hooked up, I fell in love with the watch ... at that point, she had sourced a lightly used Platinum DD for a good price. So, in 1999, I bought the Tridor from her at a discount (all boxes and papers included) and she then bought the Plat. by adding some $$ to what I paid for the Tridor. I don't know what happened to her, but I sure know how well the Tridor is doing still.
I've forgotten her name but she used to hang out on some the forums in the late 90s, early aughts. I heard your story 20 some odd years ago from her side. She told it just as you did and I guess after breaking up with you she found the platinum DD of her dreams for 12k and as far as I know lived happily ever after. How crazy is this?
Old 11 January 2020, 08:04 AM   #19
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
I've forgotten her name but she used to hang out on some the forums in the late 90s, early aughts. I heard your story 20 some odd years ago from her side. She told it just as you did and I guess after breaking up with you she found the platinum DD of her dreams for 12k and as far as I know lived happily ever after. How crazy is this?
Holy smokes, are you kidding? That's just nutz! I thought the Plat. DD she bought when we were together (with a really beautiful pink dial and WG romans) was perfect. She bought a different one? Wow! Talk about a small world. As far as I know, she has been off the grid for years and was as peripatetic as they came. I was really hung up on her at the time but, as it has turned out, I'm more hung up on the Tridor. Thanks for remembering the story ... it just blows my mind.
Old 11 January 2020, 08:12 AM   #20
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Holy smokes, are you kidding? That's just nutz! I thought the Plat. DD she bought when we were together (with a really beautiful pink dial and WG romans) was perfect. She bought a different one? Wow! Talk about a small world. As far as I know, she has been off the grid for years and was as peripatetic as they came. I was really hung up on her at the time but, as it has turned out, I'm more hung up on the Tridor. Thanks for remembering the story ... it just blows my mind.
She was quite unique as I recall. :) Of course I'm giving you a 20 year old memory but I remember the price as 12k which was quite good even then, may have been the same watch.

This was on TURF, Timezone, some of those old places. Wow.
Old 11 January 2020, 08:50 AM   #21
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
She was quite unique as I recall. :) Of course I'm giving you a 20 year old memory but I remember the price as 12k which was quite good even then, may have been the same watch.

This was on TURF, Timezone, some of those old places. Wow.
"Unique" is a polite understatement. My recollection is that she had bought the Plat. DD from Govberg's in Philly for $18K ... I went there with her to pick it up. Of course, memory can fade with time, so who knows. In any event, glad it's a memorable story, at least to you and me. Cheers!
Old 11 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #22
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
This exchange is nuts. Does this make you internet WIS Eskimo brothers of some sort? The unavailable femme fatale as watch lover with wanderlust works for me.
Old 11 January 2020, 10:16 AM   #23
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
This exchange is nuts. Does this make you internet WIS Eskimo brothers of some sort? The unavailable femme fatale as watch lover with wanderlust works for me.
Funny ... my nickname for her is "wanderlust" 'cuz she could never stay put for long. In fact, we "met" on Timezone back in the late '90's. Kind of a WIS forerunner to eharmony.
Old 11 January 2020, 02:27 PM   #24
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Have you try bending the blade part of the clasp just a little? This will help tightening the clasp. Give it a try.

Thanks. Just use a needle nose and bend it a little?
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:21 PM   #25
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I wore my 16610 (black dial SS Sub) on a long-term TDY to Central Asia in 2003, taking it into Afghanistan and to several locations in Uzbekistan. It held up like a beast, never giving me a single problem, even when getting various foreign liquids splattered on it.

Once smartphones became ubiquitous, I stopped wearing watches for several years, so the Sub was eventually sold, along with my other watches. But that Sub and I had some great experiences together. If any of us ever meet in person, I'll relate some of the more colorful stories of that trip.

Anyhoo, here are some of the milder photos taken during those months with the Sub. The first is me sitting in the lobby of the Intercontinental Hotel in Tashkent. It doesn't really represent that trip, though, because I was usually wearing more tactical gear than simply Dockers and a Polo shirt, but hey, this moment was during some rare down time. It's also the only photo I have of me wearing the Sub in Central Asia (who knew that photos of wearing watches would become a thing?). At that moment I was meeting some friends from the State Department Diplomatic Security Service (that I knew from stateside) who were waiting in the lobby for a secure transport of some VIP. One of them grabbed my camera and unknowingly snapped one of the very few photos I have of this watch.

The next shot is a typical roadside shop in Kabul. The last one is from a Madrassa in Samarkand. The Sub was a champ on all these trips.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 04:43 PM   #26
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Steve - I’m sorry for the early loss of your brother. I read your tribute to Max and his “Program” which is spot on. You’ve clearly accomplished much since ‘94. I’m sure Max is looking down proudly on his brother. Well done. And thank you for sharing his memory.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 10:07 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setarip View Post
Steve - I’m sorry for the early loss of your brother. I read your tribute to Max and his “Program” which is spot on. You’ve clearly accomplished much since ‘94. I’m sure Max is looking down proudly on his brother. Well done. And thank you for sharing his memory.
(With tears in my eyes) A most humble thanks. TY.

Max truly was one of the great guys, who accomplished much given his short time. The brilliance of assisting in making Ashton-Tate Framework a reality was... the first time you could bring docs from word processing to spreadsheet, etc (long before MicroSoft Office) interoper came into market. Also was the first 'overlay' environment and only 3D capability of its' type no one else to date has done (as best as i recall). He was also working on voice recog and speech synth and shared with me many 'far advanced' ideas, which gave much inspiration when i was helping develop WindowsCE AutoPC in the 1990s (which was long before the in-car tech we all take for granted today).

Max is very much missed :( :( :(

PS: Apologies for being so emotional, been a draining past day or so with Neil's (Peart) passing.

Old 24 January 2020, 09:22 AM   #28
Fred48
Banned

To continue in my passion of ski mountaineering, last year, at the age of 71, I went through four operations, and then bought a new Explorer to commemorate.
Two more to go this year; maybe I’ll get an ExpII !
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:44 AM   #29
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Bought in post war Japan, spent the late 50s-late 70s working a cat and mouse game in Army Intelligence against the Soviets. Eventually retired to the leisure of working at a college as math professor. Unfortunately the big C eventually came calling, and the watch was stored until I was old enough to inherent it. Lots of stories with this watch, wish my grandfather was still around to tell them.

1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:59 AM   #30
exador
Banned

These stories are very inspiring. We modern owners need to get over prices/scratches/superhero name calling and lead fulfilling lives with a watch strapped to our wrist
exador is offline   Reply With Quote