The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2006, 01:49 PM   #1
bogey

Watch: GMTII ,SUB, EXPII
Daytona $$$$

There seems to be so much talk on how overpriced the SS Daytona's are. They range from $ 9k- $ 11k BNIB from what i've seen in the AD's and the Net. Second hand prices aren't far behind. So, how much do you guys think should the SS D's retail for???
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
There seems to be so much talk on how overpriced the SS Daytona's are. They range from $ 9k- $ 11k BNIB from what i've seen in the AD's and the Net. Second hand prices aren't far behind. So, how much do you guys think should the SS D's retail for???
Absolute List Price - anything over that is a rip off; so then you might as well buy a TT Daytona with the SAME damn movement and all that EXTRA 18 K solid gold!!

Makes sense to me!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2006, 06:55 PM   #3
bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Absolute List Price - anything over that is a rip off; so then you might as well buy a TT Daytona with the SAME damn movement and all that EXTRA 18 K solid gold!!

Makes sense to me!!

Cheers - JJ
how much do you think is the absolute list price? coz i see the prices the same in the net and in the AD....
Old 12 July 2006, 07:08 PM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
how much do you think is the absolute list price? coz i see the prices the same in the net and in the AD....
List price is around $6950 US.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
...so then you might as well buy a TT Daytona with the SAME damn movement and all that EXTRA 18 K solid gold!!...
EXACTLY!!!
Old 12 July 2006, 11:57 PM   #6
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

the value in anything is in how it makes you feel!!!! , if you love the TT all well and good, BUT if purchased because you cant get a SS Daytona or because you're lead to believe its beter value my guess is you'll regret it!!!!!!!, with regard to value my guess is you'll still lose more on a TT than a premium SS at the end of the day, buy what you truely love , anything else WILL BE 2nd best, obviously its great to get a bargain [ss daytona at list] but pleasure costs and a luxury watch IMHO is worth what it is to the individual

steve
worktolivelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 12:36 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
the value in anything is in how it makes you feel!!!! , if you love the TT all well and good, BUT if purchased because you cant get a SS Daytona or because you're lead to believe its beter value my guess is you'll regret it!!!!!!!, with regard to value my guess is you'll still lose more on a TT than a premium SS at the end of the day, buy what you truely love , anything else WILL BE 2nd best, obviously its great to get a bargain [ss daytona at list] but pleasure costs and a luxury watch IMHO is worth what it is to the individual

steve
Well said Steve.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post

steve
True enough, Steve, but there are some things that are so ridiculously overpriced that it's not worth it. Take the SS D, for example. ADs are finding them hard to stock, when they do, some hoard them for their "best" customers, and the grey market is out there capitalizing on the so-called shortage. Why should someone pay nearly double what the real value is? Even if you insure the watch for replacement value, all you will get will be retail replacement - not the inflated price you paid.

If Bogey really wants an SS D, I would say, wait till you find an AD who will sell you one at retail. Until then, keep looking.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 04:55 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

I would go so far as to state that an SS white dial Daytona at actual List Price of around US$7,000 would be one of Rolex's best buys!!!

What a watch!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 July 2006, 09:25 AM   #10
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I would go so far as to state that an SS white dial Daytona at actual List Price of around US$7,000 would be one of Rolex's best buys!!!

What a watch!!!
You can't stand the stationary second hand.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Rodentman
Banned

I had 2 SS D's, black dials, and I sold them both. I didn't really like the watch that much, and felt that the chase was more exciting than ownership. I don't like the scratchmagnet bezel and polished center links, lack of date, etc. It's a NICE watch, but not my taste. I much prefer the SD and LV that I have.

I wonder how many people would want/buy one if they were plentiful at MSRP. IOW how many are buying them because they are scarce, and how many because they honestly like the watch.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 01:59 PM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
I had 2 SS D's, black dials, and I sold them both. I didn't really like the watch that much, and felt that the chase was more exciting than ownership. I don't like the scratchmagnet bezel and polished center links, lack of date, etc. It's a NICE watch, but not my taste. I much prefer the SD and LV that I have.

I wonder how many people would want/buy one if they were plentiful at MSRP. IOW how many are buying them because they are scarce, and how many because they honestly like the watch.
Good question My money would be on the sales dropping off if they were readily available
Old 13 July 2006, 04:32 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Good and valid points, Bob!!

Old 13 July 2006, 05:37 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
You can't stand the stationary second hand.
True, but just knowing that you have one of the world's best Chronos on the wrist, I'd keep that second hand going all day long (and turn it off at night!)

Old 13 July 2006, 06:59 PM   #15
bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
True enough, Steve, but there are some things that are so ridiculously overpriced that it's not worth it. Take the SS D, for example. ADs are finding them hard to stock, when they do, some hoard them for their "best" customers, and the grey market is out there capitalizing on the so-called shortage. Why should someone pay nearly double what the real value is? Even if you insure the watch for replacement value, all you will get will be retail replacement - not the inflated price you paid.

If Bogey really wants an SS D, I would say, wait till you find an AD who will sell you one at retail. Until then, keep looking.

Luckily, i wasnt able to get the ss d ,which is what i really wanted. Despite being a repeat customer my AD was giving the SS D for $9k and to other customers at $ 11k. I've checked around even in Hong Kong it's about $ 10k. So, I guess I will just wait at least now I know how much retail should be....
Old 13 July 2006, 07:02 PM   #16
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
im not sure about this policy but an authorized dealer of rolex is not allowed to sell any rolex above asking price...its those damn gray market dealers that are doing it.......i really want a daytona as well but am not in the situation to pay above msrp for it.....

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2006, 10:36 PM   #17
Atomic

Just my two cents, but I would guess most who buy SS Ds who are not WISs get them as status symbols because while their watch knowledge may be minimal, they know enough that it's near impossible to find and because they know some types of people will be impressed that they have one.

I used to seriously love the D, but with a sober second and third thought, it's just a chrono that's over-hyped.
Old 13 July 2006, 11:14 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Now that I would 100% agree with you,think myself the Daytona bubble is just about ready to burst.Yes its a excellent Chrono and perhaps the best movement thats available today.But why all the hype and the overinflated prices sure beats me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 01:38 PM   #19
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
its well worth the money.... at list price.

enough talking, its picture time =D

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 02:26 PM   #20
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
im not sure about this policy but an authorized dealer of rolex is not allowed to sell any rolex above asking price...its those damn gray market dealers that are doing it.......i really want a daytona as well but am not in the situation to pay above msrp for it.....
I lived in the Newport area for 25 years. To say a dealer is "not allowed" to sell above asking price means you need to get out of Orange Coast Fantasy Land. Dealers all over the country have watches set aside in their private safes for "special" customers. The prices are what the AD wants them to be and the customer is happy to pay it. To interfere with the dealer structure pricing is restriction of fair trade and THAT is against the law.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2006, 07:35 AM   #21
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Here is my 2005 white dial Daytona. I like it, but the first guy to give me $9,500 for it can have himself this status symbol.