The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2020, 08:45 AM   #1
md3113
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Incoming! 1st Rolex

Got my first Rolex last Saturday! 126334 - DJ 41, stainless, fluted, oyster bracelet. I was very lucky. I started looking for this DJ 2 weeks before I had it from and AD.

First I stopped at Wempe NYC looking for a DJ 41 in rhodium or black face with a smooth bezel. The SA told me it would be at least 6 months due to wait lists, and that they don’t know when they’ll come in. After chatting for a few minutes he mentioned that he might have a DJ 41 rhodium in that exact setup, but that someone “was supposedly taking it”. He insisted I try it on, and I’m positive that if I offered to take it then and there I could have had it. However I had never seen the rhodium face in person, and I realized I didn’t love it. I thought the face was too “matchy” with the band, especially with a smooth bezel. So I passed. The SA was gracious and took down all my info, said to be patient for black and it would take a while.

After trying on the smooth bezel I obsessively looked up wrist shots of the fluted bezel. I realized I wanted fluted - lots of watches have the look of the smooth, but the fluted look is unique.

I also visited Torneau 57th St, where I was laughed at and told that for any stainless allocation including a DJ I’d have to buy a used rolex first. Torneau 42nd street where the SA was very nice, and put me on their list. The Rolex boutique on 5th ave was the worst. Nothing in the case, SA didn’t seem to know much, and asked for a $500 deposit before even finding out what watch I was looking for. Felt like $500 just to talk to me!

That weekend I called AD’s in NJ. One told me it would a year or two but took my info. 2 other AD’s said I should come in to chat and get on their customer list. One seemed pretty genuine, the other clearly meant come in and buy something else and we’ll talk. Finally a called an AD about an hour away, who said they just got one in the exact setup I was looking for yesterday and put it in the case that morning. I told them I’d be there in an hour and he said it would be there waiting.

When I walked in another customer was looking for a sub, and his SA mentioned that they had a stainless DJ and it was just there in the case... Luckily the guy I spoke to was the manager, and he pulled the watch and held it for me. So long story short I have no purchase history, called an AD I’ve never spoken to before, and had the watch an hour later. He had just received the watch (first 2020 delivery) and the watch wasn’t allocated.

He said they don’t keep lists for random over the phone requests, but will call existing customers when something comes in that they’ve asked for. Also mentioned that he hated flippers, wanted to sell to people who would enjoy the watch, and wouldn’t sell to flippers if he can sniff them out. This was a relatively small AD, they expect 3 stainless DJ’s during 2020. We chatted about all the sport watches, and he said he only expected 1 or 2 of each all year.

They also had 2 stainless OP 39’s (blue and rhodium), a gold sub date, and the everose Yachtmaster (what a beautiful watch) in the case.

I’ve been wasting a lot of time on the forum and have decided that my DJ could use a sibling - a no date sub. The question is how soon to I go back and let him know I’m looking for one. Hopefully it helps that a ring caught my wife’s eye while we were there so he made another sale and all three of us left happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C48C407D-3F0E-49D0-BB11-D15056B5B788.jpeg (25.2 KB, 799 views)
md3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Axtang
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on a beautiful watch! The DJ41 is pretty scarce watch, and the dual-edged sword of it having so many permutations is that finding the right one in the right place at the right time is really quite difficult. I'm glad you were able to shop in person and find the right one for you.

It's such a bummer that all SS Rolex require so much legwork even just for the chance of purchase, but an unintentional and slightly guilty side-effect of that is that when you do manage to score the right piece, the acquisition is that much sweeter. The current situation is terrible, and I wish it were easier to buy a steel Rolex, but when the chase ends in victory, it is kind of fun.
Axtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Classic choice. Congrats!
Old 26 January 2020, 10:02 AM   #4
md3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axtang View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful watch! The DJ41 is pretty scarce watch, and the dual-edged sword of it having so many permutations is that finding the right one in the right place at the right time is really quite difficult. I'm glad you were able to shop in person and find the right one for you.

It's such a bummer that all SS Rolex require so much legwork even just for the chance of purchase, but an unintentional and slightly guilty side-effect of that is that when you do manage to score the right piece, the acquisition is that much sweeter. The current situation is terrible, and I wish it were easier to buy a steel Rolex, but when the chase ends in victory, it is kind of fun.
Yes I definitely enjoyed the thrill of the hunt, but i might feel different if it took a year!
Old 26 January 2020, 10:09 AM   #5
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
A classic! Congrats

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Congratulations, looks great!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:24 AM   #7
joshinbrooklyn
"TRF" Member

Lol. This is madness. People are telling stories about how lucky they feel finding a datejust.
joshinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:34 AM   #9
GCarSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126234 White/Roman
Congrats, welcome to the DJ club! Mine is also my first.

Enjoy it!!
GCarSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 10:34 AM   #10
md3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinbrooklyn View Post
Lol. This is madness. People are telling stories about how lucky they feel finding a datejust.
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 26 January 2020, 11:06 AM   #11
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Quote:
Originally Posted by md3113 View Post
I’ve been wasting a lot of time on the forum and have decided that my DJ could use a sibling - a no date sub. The question is how soon to I go back and let him know I’m looking for one.
Congratulations on your DJ! To answer your question on how soon to let them know you want a Sub, do it just as soon as you realize you want one. Don't overthink it or worry on timing, just be candid. Your chances have gone up since you are an existing customer now.

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:41 AM   #12
ADAM-ATL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ulysse nardin
nice! sick watch
ADAM-ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:43 AM   #13
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Congrats!
Old 26 January 2020, 01:07 PM   #14
sickened1

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Congrats.
sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:11 PM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Congrats
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:12 PM   #16
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Congrats.

The AD in Cranford NJ lectured me when I inquired about Subs for my wife and I.

Luckily we found better relationships.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:13 PM   #17
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Congrats!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:45 PM   #18
md3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
Congrats.

The AD in Cranford NJ lectured me when I inquired about Subs for my wife and I.

Luckily we found better relationships.
Yea I spoke to them. SA didn’t seem interested in helping me at all, seemed annoyed that I asked.
Old 26 January 2020, 11:15 PM   #19
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, enjoy it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:08 AM   #21
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations! An excellent combination!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:19 AM   #22
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Great looking DJ! Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:29 AM   #23
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Congrats! The whole AD runaround game sucks but I'm glad you got the one you wanted its a gorgeous watch. Enjoy it!
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:38 AM   #24
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:43 AM   #25
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Congrats! The DJ is a great reference, glad you found one!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:28 AM   #26
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congratulations! The DJ41 is a great watch!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:29 AM   #27
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:33 AM   #28
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by md3113 View Post
Got my first Rolex last Saturday! 126334 - DJ 41, stainless, fluted, oyster bracelet. I was very lucky. I started looking for this DJ 2 weeks before I had it from and AD.

First I stopped at Wempe NYC looking for a DJ 41 in rhodium or black face with a smooth bezel. The SA told me it would be at least 6 months due to wait lists, and that they don’t know when they’ll come in. After chatting for a few minutes he mentioned that he might have a DJ 41 rhodium in that exact setup, but that someone “was supposedly taking it”. He insisted I try it on, and I’m positive that if I offered to take it then and there I could have had it. However I had never seen the rhodium face in person, and I realized I didn’t love it. I thought the face was too “matchy” with the band, especially with a smooth bezel. So I passed. The SA was gracious and took down all my info, said to be patient for black and it would take a while.

After trying on the smooth bezel I obsessively looked up wrist shots of the fluted bezel. I realized I wanted fluted - lots of watches have the look of the smooth, but the fluted look is unique.

I also visited Torneau 57th St, where I was laughed at and told that for any stainless allocation including a DJ I’d have to buy a used rolex first. Torneau 42nd street where the SA was very nice, and put me on their list. The Rolex boutique on 5th ave was the worst. Nothing in the case, SA didn’t seem to know much, and asked for a $500 deposit before even finding out what watch I was looking for. Felt like $500 just to talk to me!

That weekend I called AD’s in NJ. One told me it would a year or two but took my info. 2 other AD’s said I should come in to chat and get on their customer list. One seemed pretty genuine, the other clearly meant come in and buy something else and we’ll talk. Finally a called an AD about an hour away, who said they just got one in the exact setup I was looking for yesterday and put it in the case that morning. I told them I’d be there in an hour and he said it would be there waiting.

When I walked in another customer was looking for a sub, and his SA mentioned that they had a stainless DJ and it was just there in the case... Luckily the guy I spoke to was the manager, and he pulled the watch and held it for me. So long story short I have no purchase history, called an AD I’ve never spoken to before, and had the watch an hour later. He had just received the watch (first 2020 delivery) and the watch wasn’t allocated.

He said they don’t keep lists for random over the phone requests, but will call existing customers when something comes in that they’ve asked for. Also mentioned that he hated flippers, wanted to sell to people who would enjoy the watch, and wouldn’t sell to flippers if he can sniff them out. This was a relatively small AD, they expect 3 stainless DJ’s during 2020. We chatted about all the sport watches, and he said he only expected 1 or 2 of each all year.

They also had 2 stainless OP 39’s (blue and rhodium), a gold sub date, and the everose Yachtmaster (what a beautiful watch) in the case.

I’ve been wasting a lot of time on the forum and have decided that my DJ could use a sibling - a no date sub. The question is how soon to I go back and let him know I’m looking for one. Hopefully it helps that a ring caught my wife’s eye while we were there so he made another sale and all three of us left happy.

Congratulations!!!!! Wear it in great health!!!! You'll love it and the buying has only just begun!!
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:33 AM   #29
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Congrats. Great choice.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:40 AM   #30
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Welcome and congratz!