The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2006, 12:50 PM   #1
DWILZEN

Watch: Daytona/GMTII-C
Hi, New to group

Hello just wanted to say hey, I am new to group and have been looking recently at buying a rolex. Not real familiar with them but am learning. I think I am going to get either the SubMariner or the Sea-Dweller. I really like the Green sub but is very hard to come by. A couple questions just wanted to toss out there.
1. what is SS. Is that the regular sub or something different?

2. I found a green sub at a watch dealer ( howard Frum in chicago) and he has a few of them. A little expensive but he is not an AD. Is it safe to buy from a store that is not an authorized dealer?

Thanks

Dan
DWILZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 01:24 PM   #2
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Welcome to TRF! SS = all stainless steel..
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 01:30 PM   #3
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
SS (stainless steel)

TT (two-tone)

Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 01:34 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Hi DWILZEN,

First a big welcome!

SS refers to Stainless Steel. The normal Sub and Sub-date as well as others in the Rolex sports line are made in stainless.
Certain models may have gold center links or bezels or be made completely of a precious metal and be refered to as such -- TT -- Two tone, YG- Yellow Gold..etc.

It CAN be safe to buy from other than an authorized dealer, but for your first time out I think I'd stick with an AD.

Grey Market dealers can have policies that might not be in your best interests in the long run.

Some (not all) have been known to remove serial numbers. A big problem should you need to send the watch to Rolex for some reason.
None can offer the Rolex factory warrenty. On watches such as the Green Sub. Greys tend to price their product a lot higher than you could get at an AD.
Other pieces can be purchased at some sort of discount, but again the same problems as above can arise.

The big thing, in my view, is the piece of mind by going through an AD. Especially for your first time out.

The LV can be a bit difficult to get in our area (I'm also in Ohio) but it can be done. It took me about 4 months, but that was a while ago.

I can't say anything but good about the black sub or sub date as a first watch. It is a classic piece that will last you a life time.---same goes for the sea-dweller.

Good luck, and if I can help a fellow Buckeye let me know.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 02:10 PM   #5
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
Hi Dan;

Welcome to our little and rapidly growing WIS family. You are always welcome wether you have a Rolex or not. You can even ask dumb questions and get away with it, almost. Just be prepared for the friendly fire. Both the Sub and the SD are excellent choices. You will probably have a little difficulty finding the LV (green) but if that's what rings your chime just hunt it out. You'll get it.

1. SS stands for Stainless Steel. You'll see many abreviations such as TT (Two tone, gold and stainless). These will fall into your Rolex vocabulary faster than you think.

2. Have you been to Howard Frum's shop in Chicago? I was surprised at how small it is for the advertising he does. His reputation is primarily in preowned but he does occasionally have sources where he can get BNIB (Brand New in Box). I would probably feel safe buying from Howard as long as you were positive you knew what you wanted. As a general rule you buy the person, not the watch or store. Non ADs should probably be avoided until you have Rolex lube running through your wrist. Get to know your seller, you're expected to know your product.

Howard's store is in one of the old jewelry mart buildings and coincidently, this is where the official Chicago Rolex Service Center is located. Their office really IS a closet. However, they are very friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and determined to make all customer's happy. Hope you don't need them but have confidence if you do.

Once again, welcome. Learn and have fun. We do!

dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 02:17 PM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Hello, Dan and welcome to TRF Stop in as often as you can and join right in. You've received some great answers so far from Mike and Richard so I'll just wish you the best of luck with the acquisition
Old 14 July 2006, 02:24 PM   #7
DWILZEN

Thanks for replies

No I have not been to Frums but spoke to him on the phone. I will probably stay local now and go with an AD. I will just search around. I am not that set on the green although it is nice. I Most likely will go black. Thanks

P.S what is WIS, Probably a stupid question
Old 14 July 2006, 02:29 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWILZEN View Post

P.S what is WIS, Probably a stupid question
W atch
I idot
S avant

It is a nice way to call ourselfs watch nerds, LOL!

Welcome to TRF and enjoy your stay!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 03:07 PM   #9
DWILZEN

Another question

Will an AD mark up the prices on watches or do they have to sell at MSRP.
Old 14 July 2006, 03:09 PM   #10
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWILZEN View Post
Will an AD mark up the prices on watches or do they have to sell at MSRP.

Ad's can't mark up new Rolex. The skys the limit on used though.
Old 14 July 2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Dan and welcome to our crazy watch forum. Good luck with your watch hunting.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2006, 05:27 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Dan,

The Sub-date and SD are both excellent watches. If you don't like the cyclops the SD is the way to go. Check out BOTH babies at your AD and see which one smiles back at you.

Remember, that while both have the SAME case diameter of 40 mm, the SD dial is 29 mm against the Sub's slightly larger 30 mm dial.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote