The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2020, 07:10 AM   #1
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Relationship with AD.... Really?

So today I went into an AD to put a bracelet back on my watch. I traveled recently on vacation to a sun/beach area so I put my Everest strap on for this travel. Now it was time to put the bracelet back on. I tinkered with it, but decided to have a professional do the job. So the jeweler comes out, looks over the watch and bracelet and asks me when it was last serviced. I told him I was not sure and asked if they could replace the crystal without a full service. He said he would have to look over the watch to make sure it did not need a full service. I declined because he would have had to open the back and I did not want to wait around. He returned with the bracelet on and I thanked him, made a contribution to a needy cause and off I went. I do understand about not being definitive about the crystal and service. What if he did the crystal, and I came back and said the watch is running very slow, could be a problem.

So on the way out of the store, I saw the owner, whom I have met a few times and greets me like he knows me when I enter the store (whether he does or not). I told him in kind and tactful words that I hope he was keeping me in mind for a SS GMT Pepsi. He said he was, and then the next sentence was "you and a few other hundred people who have asked me". So he is obviously selling the watch to his big spenders, I am clearly not one of them.

So does that mean I have to spend a ton of money in his store to get one? I guess so. But when I walk out the door, it is onto the next person who drops a lot of coin in jewelry in his store, and asks for a SS Professional Rolex. It is hard to really see how people develop a relationship with the SA's at the store when there are so many of us, and so few watches. Are we just getting lip service and being stroked to feel good? So are we kidding ourselves that we really have a relationship with the AD?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:17 AM   #2
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Good topic. Refreshing thread.
MattyL147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:18 AM   #3
Bryant Park
Banned

The AD owns a commercial enterprise whose goal is to maximize profit. Your ability to contribute to the fulfillment of that goal as evidenced by actual experience is in direct proportion to your "relationship".

Why should your desire for preferential treatment supersede those that are more lucrative? He was polite and honest not much more that you are entitled to unfortunately.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
So today I went into an AD to put a bracelet back on my watch. I traveled recently on vacation to a sun/beach area so I put my Everest strap on for this travel. Now it was time to put the bracelet back on. I tinkered with it, but decided to have a professional do the job. So the jeweler comes out, looks over the watch and bracelet and asks me when it was last serviced. I told him I was not sure and asked if they could replace the crystal without a full service. He said he would have to look over the watch to make sure it did not need a full service. I declined because he would have had to open the back and I did not want to wait around. He returned with the bracelet on and I thanked him, made a contribution to a needy cause and off I went. I do understand about not being definitive about the crystal and service. What if he did the crystal, and I came back and said the watch is running very slow, could be a problem.

So on the way out of the store, I saw the owner, whom I have met a few times and greets me like he knows me when I enter the store (whether he does or not). I told him in kind and tactful words that I hope he was keeping me in mind for a SS GMT Pepsi. He said he was, and then the next sentence was "you and a few other hundred people who have asked me". So he is obviously selling the watch to his big spenders, I am clearly not one of them.

So does that mean I have to spend a ton of money in his store to get one? I guess so. But when I walk out the door, it is onto the next person who drops a lot of coin in jewelry in his store, and asks for a SS Professional Rolex. It is hard to really see how people develop a relationship with the SA's at the store when there are so many of us, and so few watches. Are we just getting lip service and being stroked to feel good? So are we kidding ourselves that we really have a relationship with the AD?
In my opinion, no. I put my request for a BLRO in February 2019, without spending a dime with the AD. I selected that AD because they responded to my email inquiry about the lack of SS models, but I was more than welcome to come in and see what they had at the time. I made arrangements to visit and put in my request for a BLRO and Sub C ND.

Afterwards, I had my father's DJ serviced, my mother's DJ and grandmother's 5005 looked at (wanted to serial number off of the DJ and the 5005 I needed a cost estimate to get it working). my Pelagos serviced and my watches appraised.

I was asked if I wanted a TT GMT in July 2019, which I declined. and was subsequent asked if I wanted a BLRO in January 2020.

So, I don't think I spent a lot of money but I have made myself present at times and I don't bug them too often.

I've already told my SA I was planning on another watch but I need to figure out which one I want...she said no problem, just let her know.
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Selling you an "SS GMT Pepsi" is like handing you a check for $5-7k. They have to pick and choose somehow. Not all ADs require one to spend a bunch. Mine doesn't.

Relationship ≠ money.

Good luck.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:26 AM   #6
"TRF" Member

Sales is sort of like....legal bribery, for lack of better illustration. If a person gives him more money in exchange for goods, whether it be over time or once in a while, that person gets higher up in the VIP clientele list. It boils down to money. Unless you are closely related by blood.
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #7
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Go grey then, don’t play games it BS, use them like they use you, capitalize when you can and don’t get taken advantage of

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Stonecutter6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2019 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Selling you an "SS GMT Pepsi" is like handing you a check for $5-7k. They have to pick and choose somehow. Not all ADs require one to spend a bunch. Mine doesn't.

Relationship ≠ money.

Good luck.
I've had an AD Owner tell me this line as well... I think it just feeds the flippers and the ADs that sell directly to them to be honest. It's a very clear indication that its going on in that establishment. When then asked: "what about to clients who don't sell them?" there is no answer.
Stonecutter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:37 AM   #9
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6538 View Post
sales is sort of like....legal bribery, for lack of better illustration. If a person gives him more money in exchange for goods, whether it be over time or once in a while, that person gets higher up in the vip clientele list. It boils down to money. Unless you are closely related by blood.
100 %
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:38 AM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

He was telling you that you don’t spend enough for him to justify giving you a Pepsi.

These threads keep coming up, and people need to move on and switch brands if necessary
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:39 AM   #11
aayates
"TRF" Member

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
aayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:41 AM   #12
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:43 AM   #13
djgallo
Banned

Yes ....and you knew what the answer was before you asked...
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:46 AM   #14
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Harsh reality.
Old 22 February 2020, 07:47 AM   #15
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:

Unless there was some sinister tone to it, I wouldn't read much into that. You must know that 95% of Rolex walk-ins ask about the SS BLRO. Probably no insult, just a comment based on all the requests.

Frankly I'm surprised no AD/SA has vomited on a customer when they ask about the BLRO. They have to say NO to 95% of the people who walk in the door. Not an easy job for those in sales.
Old 22 February 2020, 07:50 AM   #16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Harsh reality.
Sadly, it is. How many watches have you purchased from this AD over the years? How long have you been purchasing from them?
Old 22 February 2020, 07:54 AM   #17
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I always jokingly say I’ll take a Green Sub if you have one when SA asks if they can help me. Always get a laugh back from the SA.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:55 AM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sadly, it is. How many watches have you purchased from this AD over the years? How long have you been purchasing from them?
Purchased no watches from them.
Have had 2 service by them.
I guess my name is at the bottom of the totem pole.
Old 22 February 2020, 07:56 AM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I told him in kind and tactful words that I hope he was keeping me in mind for a SS GMT Pepsi. He said he was, and then the next sentence was "you and a few other hundred people who have asked me".
To me it means that he's had a few hundred enquiries for that watch. Sounds about the same as my AD.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:00 AM   #20
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
I'm starting to realize going gray market for these SS watches in high demand is the right move now until the bubble pops.

Seriously, you pay an extra $5-$7k and get the watch today OR you spend a few hundred grand to maybe get it at list from an AD. It's more complex then that but a lot of us are in that boat.

Makes no sense if you want to have the watch. The list price is what the manufacturer recommends - not what the market is trading it for.
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #21
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

He was probably just making a comment regarding how many people are in the market for a SS GMT Pepsi. It does not necessarily mean he is saving them for big spenders.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:03 AM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Managing expectations. Sounds innocuous.
Old 22 February 2020, 08:04 AM   #23
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:

Relationship ≠ money.

Good luck.
this.
Old 22 February 2020, 08:11 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I suspect you are right with no purchase history about being on the bottom of the totem pole.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:12 AM   #25
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I'm sure you're on their list.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:13 AM   #26
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Purchased no watches from them.
Have had 2 service by them.
I guess my name is at the bottom of the totem pole.
In that case it's going to be difficult to set yourself apart from the other few hundred asking for that watch. If the watches you had them service were modern references purchased elsewhere then that says the relationship only goes in your favor and isn't reciprocal. What were they, BTW?
Old 22 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #27
MyLord
"TRF" Member

This is kinda funny.
MyLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:23 AM   #28
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Your relationship with an AD depends on your purchase history and whether or not they like you. Your chance of getting a Pepsi without a good relationship is almost zero.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 08:29 AM   #29
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
I'm looking for something to hurt myself with.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 09:02 AM   #30
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
this.
It’s literally what the AD told my wife and I about the Hulk.

They chose us.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote