The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Brew
"TRF" Member

Home Fitness Equipment Suggestions, Please

I'm afraid the "19" in Covid-19 refers to the pounds I'm gaining. Normally, I go to the gym every other day to swim and lift some weights. Every other every other day, I go for a run with the dog, weather permitting. The gym has been closed and the weather hasn't been too permitting, so I'm considering some form of in-door exercise equipment.

A treadmill or a rowing machine for the basement come to mind, but which? I think I would enjoy either, as long as I'm able to get back outside running to keep from getting bored inside.

Have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 09:25 PM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Push ups, burpees and 12 kilo slam ball is all I’m using in addition to outside runs but I know that I won’t use a treadmill or rowing machine at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 09:46 PM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
If you don't need your hand held to work out, a good old stationary bike is great. Low impact, and you're free to go as hard as you like.

However, if you're one of those who must have video stimulation and a life coach to exercise, you can always spend a small fortune on Pelaton.
Old 11 April 2020, 09:54 PM   #4
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
It’s funny, I have been riding my bike more now, with the empty roads. Sculling on the lake is also a big part of my fitness, not a boat in sight.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 10:00 PM   #5
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I got a concept 2 rower some 2 or 3 weeks ago, I use it every day, fabulous bit of kit. I think you will have trouble getting one now, they seem to have sold out.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:23 PM   #6
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I highly recommend a Concept 2 rower. One of the best forms of exercise in my opinion. You can work cardio, strength, and endurance. There are plenty of types of workouts to do on it too, not just straight rowing... I mean like intervals and such.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:29 PM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Get some good resistance bands. Cheap, easy to store, and tons of exercises you can do with them.

Between a rower or a treadmill, I think most people would get more use out of a treadmill. I think, god must, a rower will lose its luster fast. And the sit.

I believe a treadmill is less of an exercise but more likely to get use. Full disclosure, I have a rower, but no treadmill.

Then get a weight ball and a weight bar. Endless things you can do with both.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:33 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
A gym mat is all you need. Tons of isometric exercises you can can do to stay fit and healthy. I also have a basic bench, and dumb bells to do seated weights but that’s about it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:49 PM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the suggestions, thank you. I lean towards a tm or rower because my impression is they'll burn more calories, which is a (growing) issue . . . .
Old 11 April 2020, 11:57 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, thank you. I lean towards a tm or rower because my impression is they'll burn more calories, which is a (growing) issue . . . .
They burn calories while you are doing the work.

Doing some kind of resistance training helps build or retain muscle. Muscle burns calories even at rest. And as we age, we naturally lose muscle. So it’s good to keep it going.

It’s best to mix it up between the two.

Old 11 April 2020, 11:59 PM   #11
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Doing some kind of resistance training helps build or retain muscle. Muscle burns calories even at rest. And as we age, we naturally lose muscle. So it’s good to keep it going.

This is helpful to consider, thank you, especially since I've lost the weight routine at the gym.
Old 12 April 2020, 12:03 AM   #12
Brew
"TRF" Member

Oh, and thanks for the Concept 2 rower suggestions.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to multi-quote, or I would have. Sorry.
Old 12 April 2020, 12:38 AM   #13
hcivic91
"TRF" Member

I’ve got as much gym stuff at home as anyone but 99% of the time I do a p90X type workout which mainly consists of jump training and push ups. I think the Beach Body app has a 30-day free trial and I am certain you can get one hell of a workout with nothing more that a pair of sneakers and 8X10’ of open space.
hcivic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:08 AM   #14
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Between a treadmill and rowing machine I’d go with the rowing machine. You get a more complete workout, little or no impact, and its a good alternate for the days you run outside.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Between a treadmill and rowing machine I’d go with the rowing machine. You get a more complete workout, little or no impact, and its a good alternate for the days you run outside.
The downside to a rowing machine is that it's far harder to hang your clothes off it when you get bored with it and stop using it.

A treadmill with it's upright design works far, far better. Of course a stationery bike is usually the best.

I think it's because of the convenience of the handlebars.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:22 AM   #16
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I had a treadmill and rower Concept 2 for about 10 years. Lately, my lower back has been bothering me and the rower became a problem to use. So, the rower is gone and the treadmill is still being used. If you can not run, then simply put an incline and fast pace walk and your heart rate goes into the fat burn zone. You can also do interval with the inclines, start a low incline for a minute then switch to high incline for the next minute then back to lower incline etc.
I also just added a Stages Sc3 indoor bike and this is a piece of equipment I am enjoying too.
Let us know where you go with this.....the fitness industry has taken a complete 180 with home gyms sales exploding. I have a feeling the actual gyms are going to take it in the teeth when normalcy returns.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:31 AM   #17
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Between the two the rowing machine would be a better trade off when you can run outside.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:48 AM   #18
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The downside to a rowing machine is that it's far harder to hang your clothes off it when you get bored with it and stop using it.

A treadmill with it's upright design works far, far better. Of course a stationery bike is usually the best.

I think it's because of the convenience of the handlebars.
A rowing machine is a far better shoe rack though, it seems that all these fitness machines have a cross they must bear.

DAVE

Old 12 April 2020, 01:53 AM   #19
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
My wife decided to get a treadmill in January. That has proved a very timely decision as I’ve been using it a lot during the lockdown!
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 01:53 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
A rowing machine is a far better shoe rack though, it seems that all these fitness machines have a cross they must bear.
Isn't multi-tasking still a thing?
Old 12 April 2020, 02:08 AM   #21
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Isn't multi-tasking still a thing?
Lol, my son, who is in lockdown in NJ, asked me "how the new shoe rack was doing". I live in a very small, nearly 300 year old cottage, my wife was less than chuffed when the rower took the place of the new dressing table that she had researched (constantly) and planned for the space in the (her) dressing room.

DAVE

Old 12 April 2020, 02:12 AM   #22
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lol, my son, who is in lockdown in NJ, asked me "how the new shoe rack was doing". I live in a very small, nearly 300 year old cottage, my wife was less than chuffed when the rower took the place of the new dressing table that she had researched (constantly) and planned for the space in the (her) dressing room.
This may not end well. You may end up doing a lot of rowing in the great outdoors.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 02:15 AM   #23
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just how many things can a sill dressing table be used for? Seems to me like you're maximizing the utility of what sounds like a lovely cottage. Waist not, want not?
Old 12 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #24
Cesium137
Banned

I have both a treadmill and a rower. I use the treadmill much more. Rowing is good, but mind numbingly boring if done too often.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:25 AM   #25
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of free HIIT and other workouts on line if following an instructor helps. Great workouts.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 04:28 AM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
I have both a treadmill and a rower. I use the treadmill much more. Rowing is good, but mind numbingly boring if done too often.
This was my point earlier.

A rower is a better workout. But will be used much less unless one has significant motivation or discipline.

The TM will get used more.

Old 12 April 2020, 06:25 AM   #27
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

This is the magic formula. Cardio is good for burning calories while you do it, and increasing general aerobic fitness. Resistance training builds muscle, and you’ll burn calories while doing it, and during rest periods where you’re body is building more muscle in response to the stress of the resistance training. They are complimentary. Eating less calories helps too but that sucks!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 06:50 AM   #28
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Not what you asked for but...if you ride a bike get a Wahoo Kickr and subscribe to Zwift.

You can ride the world, with other people, there are specific workouts on there which will keep you honest. And hour on the Kickr is worth more than the equivalent time outside and will burn more calories per hour because you are always pedaling.

If you don’t want the extra cost of Zwift then Wahoo have their own software which will provide workouts. I believe it’s free with the Kickr.

In all cases the software controls the resistance on your bike. You just need to set a honest baseline at the beginning to keep yourself honest.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 07:00 AM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Home Fitness Equipment Suggestions, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Not what you asked for but...if you ride a bike get a Wahoo Kickr and subscribe to Zwift.

You can ride the world, with other people, there are specific workouts on there which will keep you honest. And hour on the Kickr is worth more than the equivalent time outside and will burn more calories per hour because you are always pedaling.

If you don’t want the extra cost of Zwift then Wahoo have their own software which will provide workouts. I believe it’s free with the Kickr.

In all cases the software controls the resistance on your bike. You just need to set a honest baseline at the beginning to keep yourself honest.

I’m not into road biking anymore as too many motorists hate cyclists, your recommendation is very good and I’d forgotten about Zwift and how good/fun it was. This was the setup that I had in my man cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 07:03 AM   #30
Jas14
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith El Primero
Concept 2 rower is a great workout with different kinds of levels long and steady or short and quick. Wife just got a NordicTrack S22i and have been using it a lot. I like the rides in different parts of the world. There are also classes or you can make your own ride with GPS.
Jas14 is offline   Reply With Quote