The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2020, 12:04 AM   #1
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

Advice for first Rolex Purchase

Hello members!

Hope everyone is staying safe during these unprecedented times.

I have a question, and hope some members can offer me some advice/guidance in terms of me trying to land my first Rolex for my collection.

I have an AD about an hour north of my residence. I am looking to buy the following pieces over time -Daytona Panda, Hulk, Batman, Pepsi, Blue Skydweller.

How can I purchase these items new at retail MSRP? From what I have been reading online, since I don't have a purchase history with an AD, it seems like I may have to purchase the more lesser popular models, before you can get a chance to buy the models I listed? It just seems that being a new customer, these items may just be unattainable to purchase new from the AD. Am I correct?

I understand I can get these pieces on the secondary market, but priced thousands of dollars over MSRP.

Any information is much appreciated.

Tony
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #2
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by honuswagner13 View Post
Hello members!

I have a question, and hope some members can offer me some advice/guidance in terms of me trying to land my first Rolex for my collection.

I have an AD about an hour north of my residence. I am looking to buy the following pieces over time -Daytona Panda, Hulk, Batman, Pepsi, Blue Skydweller.

How can I purchase these items new at retail MSRP? From what I have been reading online, since I don't have a purchase history with an AD, it seems like I may have to purchase the more lesser popular models, before you can get a chance to buy the models I listed? It just seems that being a new customer, these items may just be unattainable to purchase new from the AD. Am I correct?

I understand I can get these pieces on the secondary market, but priced thousands of dollars over MSRP.

Tony
You have (correctly) answered your own questions.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 02:37 PM   #3
LDN
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t say it is impossible! Anything can happen on any given day! Good luck!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 03:04 PM   #4
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
U have to make multiple trips for sure, even to get the first Rolex fr them. Supplies will be scarce, with those hard to get models. DJ has higher probability
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hello members!

Tony
You answered your own questions correctly.

Become a customer first, maybe start with a Datejust and work from there. Next could be aiming for a Batgirl, however for the pieces you want, it will take a LONG time (if even possible). By the time you get a sniff at a Daytona or blue sky dweller (after spending lots on other watches), the MRSP will be double anyway.

Might be worth tweaking your plan
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 04:47 PM   #6
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
At least gas is cheap for the two hour round trip to see none of those watches in the case.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 04:52 PM   #7
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Spend six figures with them, become friends with them, or hope you get lucky.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 04:55 PM   #8
Ihatecheese
Banned

Yep the other guys got it. Pay thousands more than you need to and you may get one. Or get in the queue behind the others and wait some months and years

The good news is that there are so many watches out there. So plenty of choice in other models. Good luck!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 05:40 PM   #9
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Hello members!

Tony
I would love to hear the AD response after you reeled that list off to them.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 05:49 PM   #10
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
build your relationship with one or two AD's and work your way up.......in the end, you will have build a healthy collection that you would have hoped for and acquire plentiful knowledge about Rolex
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 06:27 PM   #11
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Exactly
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 06:34 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Have to agree a plain simple fact all ADs are in business for one thing only, to sell as many of there retail products to any Tom,Dick or Mary who enters there retail store watch store.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 06:42 PM   #13
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Hello members!

Tony

Old 15 May 2020, 06:44 PM   #14
Spence4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The odds are definitely stacked against you, but don’t let that discourage you. There are plenty of threads on here detailing the success some members have had at ADs with no purchase history. If the place is only an hour away, it’s totally worth the drive. I’m no expert at working the AD, but I would think you will increase your chances of you just pick one from your list (least popular model) and focus on that. If you roll in with a list of all the hottest watches that will likely increase the chances that the AD thinks you are just looking to make a nice profit from a quick flip.
Spence4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 07:43 PM   #15
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree a plain simple fact all ADs are in business for one thing only, to sell as many of there retail products to any Tom,Dick or Mary who enters there retail store watch store.
After they work their way down the list of preferred clients.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 10:24 PM   #16
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
What a coincidence.

You want the same 5 watches as the rest of the world.

You’re not a victim of hype at all.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 10:38 PM   #17
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Spend six figures with them, become friends with them, or hope you get lucky.
This
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 11:01 PM   #18
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Start with a Datejust. It's a great watch and you should be able to get a discount.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 05:40 AM   #19
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

Much Appreciated

Thanks for all the responses. Supposedly, the AD is planning to open up this weekend. I keep the board posted.

I was heavy into the vintage baseball card world for the past 15 years. I sold my collection recently, and always liked luxury watches.

I needed a hobby change, and just want to do some homework before make the plunge. I'm always leery about making a high dollar purchase, especially with there being so may clones/fakes out there.

Stay safe everyone.

Tony
honuswagner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:01 AM   #20
GMTMasterDallas
"TRF" Member

So basically you have no personal taste in watches and only want what others have hyped up. Cool... I get wanting some of them and still wanting some other watches too that aren't the hyped up models, but seems like you're not collecting based on anything you'd actually enjoy, instead just what you've deemed "the models to have". That'll lead to a miserable collecting experience.
GMTMasterDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:04 AM   #21
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Pray. That’s my advice.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:16 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

Tough crowd today ...

I suggest you start by visiting the AD and try to connect with a sales associate or better yet the manger. Discuss your passion for the brand and what it is you hope to accomplish in your collection.

As some here (not so eloquently) have pointed out, the references you are seeking are very popular and in high demand. That’s doesn’t mean they are impossible to obtain but it does mean that it will take some time.

IMHO, the Submariner reference 114060 is fairly obtainable, it’s a modern icon and it may serve as a gateway watch to more watches with the AD as time moves on.

That’s my Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:21 AM   #23
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
I'm always leery about making a high dollar purchase, especially with there being so may clones/fakes out there
If you are buying from an AD this isn't a concern.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:23 AM   #24
watchyoutalkingbout
"TRF" Member

I'm going to try to get the Rhodium OP. That's probably it for now. Maybe next year a Sub or GMT (depends on finances). I've wanted a Rolex for years but never pulled the trigger.
watchyoutalkingbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:30 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you tell that list to any AD they will assume you are a flipper. All the ADs I know want to sell to people who desire a specific watch for articulable reasons. ADs also have to spread the wealth, they do not like to load up any one customer as they have many VIP clients who spend lavishly and regularly with them. Start with the one you want most and work towards that and maybe buy a watch they have in the case to start the relationship. Don't want the AD hassle, buy Grey and have them all tomorrow.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 11:13 AM   #26
calebb90
Banned

The answer is simple.

Ask for BLNR first. Once you get that, buy a sub and a datejust. Add some jewelry or a two tone watch to sweeten the pot. Then ask for a Pepsi. Once you have the Pepsi, buy another gold watch and some jewelry. Then ask for a black or white skydweller. Once you have the skydweller, the buy another gold watch and some jewelry. Then ask for a white Daytona. When they say no to the white Daytona, buy another gold watch, and ask them for a black Daytona. Once you get the Black Daytona, buy another gold watch and them ask for a Blue Skydweller. Once you have the Blue skydweller, marry the owner’s relative and ask for a white Daytona as a wedding gift.

Following these simple steps, you should have all the watches you want in 18-84 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #27
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Hello members!

Tony
You nailed it Tony.

There are plenty of Rolex models available just not the models that your research has guided you towards?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:02 PM   #28
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Honestly, if you want these pieces, call around and ask. Don't give in to their tactics. Or get them grey. Save the hassle and time.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:19 PM   #29
campfire
"TRF" Member

Just jump in and give it a shot. You never really know. Worst case is you'll learn as you go along...which is not so bad.

In the process, you might start liking other references that could be easier to get and then at that point you're in the game and down the rabbit hole.

Either way, have fun. All the best.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:40 PM   #30
AssetsPros@Gmail.com
"TRF" Member

New Buyer

I purchased three rolexes over the last year, and experienced just what everyone is describing. The cases seem to have slim pickings especially in sport models. All three purchases were the same in that I had to ask if they happen to get a specific watch in, and the answer was yes. On two occasions they recognized me from past visits to the store asking questions etc.

The AD should not be asking over MSRP.

I have no idea why the dealers are doing this but how coincidental could it be that an Air King, SS Sub, and GMT tu tone would all be hanging out back in their little plastic shipping cases.

Go in and start a conversation, then tell them you’ve been on the hunt for a certain watch, maybe you’ll hit it just right! Good Luck
AssetsPros@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote