The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2020, 07:46 PM   #1
han_solo
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP Yellow
Will Submariner update in 2020 - 2021? Should I buy 116610ln now?

The big question, will submariner be updated this year? Due to the situation with corona, the plan with Rolex seems unclear.

I'm planning to buy a submariner, 116610ln. Should I go for it now as a reasonable price for a pre-owned sub? Or wait??... My head is fried...
han_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 07:55 PM   #2
/16610
"TRF" Member

No one knows what they’ll bring out this year/2021.

Apart from a leak maybe a day before, which happened last year, there’ll be lots of rumours and photoshops etc., but nothing concrete.

They are bound to, at some point within the next 7 years or so, update the Submariner to carry the new 323x movement. It may also have a line of red like the Sea-dweller 43. It may have (slightly) slimmed down lugs, though I don’t think they’ll go all the way back to the traditional case.

We don’t know whether they might stagger the update, with only gold/bi-metal references getting it first, whether the ‘no date’ gets it later, and so on.

If you like the current watches, there may not be much harm in buying one now, and seeing what happens. I’d rather do that now than potentially wait 3/4 years.

I’m not sure the current Subs will keep all of their current price premium, but that’s a slightly different conversation, and I don’t think you’d ever be burned; the premium isn’t so vast for the Sub Date LN.
/16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 07:56 PM   #3
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Buy one now...I would be very doubtful they will make significant changes. Also, any sub, any reference stands out...

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:19 PM   #4
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I think there's a few other threads on the same topic, you should check those out.

In summary;

a) nobody knows when the new watch will come out or what changes Rolex will make
b) the new movement has suffered some issues whereas the current movement is tried and tested
c) if a new sub does get released it's likely going to be tough to get hold of

If you like the current model and can acquire at a good price then go for it.
nighthawk77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:20 PM   #5
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Get it now. Any changes will likely be subtle. Also, if they release a new Sub, say this week, it would likely be close to a year before you could get one. There will be a lot of high rollers in front of you.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:33 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by han_solo View Post
The big question, will submariner be updated this year? Due to the situation with corona, the plan with Rolex seems unclear.

I'm planning to buy a submariner, 116610ln. Should I go for it now as a reasonable price for a pre-owned sub? Or wait??... My head is fried...
If you want a watch then buy it, if you don't want a watch then don't buy it.

Simple.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:41 PM   #7
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Buy now. It probably just gets the new 70 hour power reserve treatment. If they decided to tone down the maxi-case that might be the only thing I could see them doing. Likely no changes except movement.
Old 17 June 2020, 10:43 PM   #8
Event Horizon
Banned

Watch: BLRO
If the watch is updated, the wait list is gonna be twice or even three times as long as it is now.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:48 PM   #9
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

Its a sub. It doesnt matter which model you get - it will always be iconic. If you like the 116610LN and have the opportunity to get one - then go for it.

A bird in the hand...
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Get one now. If there is a new model with radical changes (highly doubtful) there will be a long, long line for it. I see a new movement, and maybe a slight tapering to the lugs if we do get a new model.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 10:50 PM   #11
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Buy now. No one know what rolex will do to it or if they will come out with a new model, and even if they do, it will be a forever waiting list.

If you can get it now, buy it!
Old 17 June 2020, 11:00 PM   #12
Maiden
"TRF" Member

There are a ton of threads on this topic. Simply put,unless you have incredible connections, or are willing to pay significantly over retail you will not get a new updated sub anytime soon.Most likely years. What is the answer to that question?
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 11:39 PM   #13
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
116610LN is a great watch. 3135 is bulletproof. I wouldn’t want to wait 5 years for the 3235 only
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 11:44 PM   #14
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Buy it now if you have access to one at retail price.
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 12:26 AM   #15
Podmornica
Banned

Thinned lugs and new movement are not subtle changes! I say wait for the updated version! It will come out sooner than later. When you will get your hand on one is another thing.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 12:53 AM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would buy it now and enjoy it. If a new Submariner is introduced you will have the ablity to wait on the reviews and to let the price settle. I am a big believer in the one in the hand, or on the wrist, is better than an unknown wait.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:00 AM   #17
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I think there's a few other threads on the same topic, you should check those out.

In summary;

a) nobody knows when the new watch will come out or what changes Rolex will make
b) the new movement has suffered some issues whereas the current movement is tried and tested

A few? Try 100's. This is the same old guessing games people play every year. Rolex is tight lipped so only a few select people breathing air know what they are doing.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:03 AM   #18
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post

In summary;

->exactly this<- (significant is the B fact)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:03 AM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
NOW,before they mess it up with the 3235 .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:28 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'd go for it now at a reasonable cost as you say. Once its discontinued the price will most likely go up as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:34 AM   #21
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
A sub is a sub is a sub will always remain one and just as iconic/desirable. What do you think about old submariners? they are just as valued and desirable in second hand market.

If you can get it today, get it and start enjoying it. Outside of watch forums/nerds noone really cares about new/old generation.

I think in the midst of all the internet knowledge we are getting away from what got us into it, enjoying it on our wrist. Wear it, take it everywhere, build memories while doing it, sooner you get to do it the better it is for you in the long run.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:41 AM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
A sub is a sub is a sub will always remain one and just as iconic/desirable. What do you think about old submariners? they are just as valued and desirable in second hand market.

If you can get it today, get it and start enjoying it. Outside of watch forums/nerds noone really cares about new/old generation.

I think in the midst of all the internet knowledge we are getting away from what got us into it, enjoying it on our wrist. Wear it, take it everywhere, build memories while doing it, sooner you get to do it the better it is for you in the long run.
Wise words
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 01:56 AM   #23
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

First of all, no one knows what will happen.

If we look at history and how Rolex traditionally updates models, I think it's a safe bet to assume that the Submariner will get a new movement. It will also likely get very slightly refined lugs/case shape like the newer GMT-Master IIs. Most people can't even tell there is a difference, but it exists and it is very subtle. I don't think most will be able to tell the difference between the "older" ceramic Submariners and whatever "new" ceramic Submariners are released.

If you like what you see now, it won't look much different if there's an update.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:08 AM   #24
glamorama
"TRF" Member

My guess is that the Sub will be 41mm but with slimmer case. Obviously 70h movement. Would be great with a little slimmer clasp to finish it off. So me personally speculating (hoping) for this I would not buy now. Depends on how long you can wait.. might be 2 yrs before you have a new release in hand.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:18 AM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

This
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:20 AM   #26
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
First of all, no one knows what will happen.

If we look at history and how Rolex traditionally updates models, I think it's a safe bet to assume that the Submariner will get a new movement. It will also likely get very slightly refined lugs/case shape like the newer GMT-Master IIs. Most people can't even tell there is a difference, but it exists and it is very subtle. I don't think most will be able to tell the difference between the "older" ceramic Submariners and whatever "new" ceramic Submariners are released.

If you like what you see now, it won't look much different if there's an update.
You make good points on the cases. IMO the Submariner case is already updated and to your point will probably see minimal changes like the GMT Master. It seems Rolex is moving away rom the more curvy case design as seen in the YM40 redesign. They moved the case shape closer to Subs and GMT Masters. So in that sense, the Milgauss is much more likely to see significant case design changes than the Submariner/Date will.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:30 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Some folks have been waiting for decades because, you know, next year they might upgrade something.
Old 18 June 2020, 03:17 AM   #28
won01419
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more!
won01419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 03:37 AM   #29
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
You are one day closer to the new release.

Wait for it, the hype is all about the waiting game, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 June 2020, 03:41 AM   #30
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

sigh...
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote