The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2020, 06:28 AM   #1
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Tudor Black Bay GMT or Grand Seiko GMT quartz.

I’m interested in either the Tudor BB GMT, Pepsi bezel, or the GS GMT quartz black dial. The Tudor dimensions seem a little big. It also looks similar to my Submariner/Date. However, I like the matte blue/red bezel. It’s understated, and quality is good.

The GS quartz GMT, black dial looks like nothing I have in my collection. The fit and finish on the Seiko GMT, to me, is better than the Tudor. I love the bezel, and orange hand on the dial. Only thing I’m skeptical about is spending $3,000 on a quartz.

Any one own either watch, and have a opinion? Thanks.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 06:30 AM   #2
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quartz is a no go for me. BB GMT.
Old 28 June 2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Hawkeye1
"TRF" Member

I have the Tudor GMT and can say I love the looks of it. Like most Tudors, it’s a little thick but it’s to be expected. You can search the forum but the GMT seems to be plagued with date wheel issues although I have been spared.
I don’t have the GS quartz but have other Grand Seikos and can confirm their for and finish is second to none. Even though it’s a quartz, it’s a sharp watch and I have thought about getting one myself. At the end of the day, like anything, it depends on what you like better. I wouldn’t get too hung up on a quartz vs automatic movement comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Mick006
"TRF" Member

You lost me at quartz, but from your post it sounds like you want the GS.

Get what you like. Both are great options.

Old 28 June 2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
I have the Tudor GMT and can say I love the looks of it. Like most Tudors, it’s a little thick but it’s to be expected. You can search the forum but the GMT seems to be plagued with date wheel issues although I have been spared.
I don’t have the GS quartz but have other Grand Seikos and can confirm their for and finish is second to none. Even though it’s a quartz, it’s a sharp watch and I have thought about getting one myself. At the end of the day, like anything, it depends on what you like better. I wouldn’t get too hung up on a quartz vs automatic movement comparison.

I’m leaning toward the GS GMT quartz. I just love the style, fit and finish. Thank you.
Old 28 June 2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
I have both watches - the Grand Seiko is never off my wrist where as the Tudor is still in its box and safe 2 yrs after purchase.

The GS is superb and about 100% accurate- yes its quartz but who cares really, the Tudor is a beast really big and heavy the GS is light slim line and beautifully proportioned.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
The correct answer in the first reply, we can close the topic
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer2polar View Post
I have both watches - the Grand Seiko is never off my wrist where as the Tudor is still in its box and safe 2 yrs after purchase.

The GS is superb and about 100% accurate- yes its quartz but who cares really, the Tudor is a beast really big and heavy the GS is light slim line and beautifully proportioned.
I tried on the GS GMT, and the dimensions for me are spot on. I agree, the Tudor was big, and heavy. I wish they made the Tudor GMT in the Black Bay size.
Old 28 June 2020, 08:04 AM   #9
Matt74
"TRF" Member

I have the GS GMT Quartz. SBGN003. Sure, it’s quartz, but it’s not your average, ordinary, run of the mill quartz. My GS gets worn a fair bit more than my ETA Black Bay, FWIW.
Matt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 08:10 AM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
It’s a shame that many watch aficionados dismiss Quartz movements outright. When the watch itself is executed exceptionally well, I personally think they have a place in any collection.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 08:16 AM   #11
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt74 View Post
I have the GS GMT Quartz. SBGN003. Sure, it’s quartz, but it’s not your average, ordinary, run of the mill quartz. My GS gets worn a fair bit more than my ETA Black Bay, FWIW.
That’s the same model I’m looking at. I also saw the blue dial, it’s nice. However, I would get tired of it over time.

The AD said that there not allowed to discount it. That was in late March, as Covid started to take over the economy. Maybe things changed since then. I see it on Chrono24 for around $2,800. I just prefer to buy at at AD.
Old 28 June 2020, 08:32 AM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I would take the GS in a heartbeat. The 9F quartz movement is a work of genius, whereas the Tudor in-house movement...well, it usually works ok is about the best that can be said of it.

This should be required reading for any watch enthusiast who dismisses the GS 9F: http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sex...ith-caliber-9f
Old 28 June 2020, 08:32 AM   #13
Mick006
"TRF" Member

With many of the tudors you have to embrace the chunkiness. They don’t wear especially large. But if you cant love them for what they are you are going to get restless.

I like the variety. I like that is chunkier than my sub and more casual.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 08:40 AM   #14
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
+1. No quartz
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:01 AM   #15
Matt74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
That’s the same model I’m looking at. I also saw the blue dial, it’s nice. However, I would get tired of it over time.

The AD said that there not allowed to discount it. That was in late March, as Covid started to take over the economy. Maybe things changed since then. I see it on Chrono24 for around $2,800. I just prefer to buy at at AD.

Mine was lightly used from DavidSW. I wanted the blue dial initially but felt the black was more timeless and the black date wheel sealed the deal.

The dial, hands and case are a joy to look at. The accuracy is somewhere around -.5/seconds per month on mine. Adjusting the date or hour without having to re-hack the time is fantastic. I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Not wanting to have too many watches sitting around, I sold my Speedmaster Professional when the GS arrived. I don’t miss it.
Matt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:10 AM   #16
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I would take the GS in a heartbeat. The 9F quartz movement is a work of genius, whereas the Tudor in-house movement...well, it usually works ok is about the best that can be said of it.

This should be required reading for any watch enthusiast who dismisses the GS 9F: http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/sex...ith-caliber-9f
Great article. I’m open to a quartz. Especially one from Grand Seiko. The worlds first quartz watch was the “ Astron” introduced by Seiko in 1969. So I’ll put my money on a quartz watch made by a Seiko.
Old 28 June 2020, 10:14 AM   #17
Event Horizon
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Massive issue w/ date wheel on Tudor.
(sold mine before I experienced the issue and haven't looked back).

I'd absolutely go w/ the Seiko on this one.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great article. I’m open to a quartz. Especially one from Grand Seiko. The worlds first quartz watch was the “Astron” introduced by Seiko in 1969. So I’ll put my money on a quartz watch made by a Seiko.

Rolex put out a OysterQuartz DateJust around 1980. The asking price today, is around $4,000.
Old 28 June 2020, 10:27 AM   #19
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Great article. I’m open to a quartz. Especially one from Grand Seiko. The worlds first quartz watch was the “Astron” introduced by Seiko in 1969. So I’ll put my money on a quartz watch made by a Seiko.

Rolex put out a OysterQuartz DateJust around 1980. The asking price today, is around $4,000.
The Oysterquartz came out in 1977. Interesting watches. I had one a few years ago, from 1977 with the MKI dial, but they can be expensive to service and aren't all that accurate compared to the GS 9F, which Seiko suggests could go 50 years without a service.
Old 28 June 2020, 10:36 AM   #20
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Oysterquartz came out in 1977. Interesting watches. I had one a few years ago, from 1977 with the MKI dial, but they can be expensive to service and aren't all that accurate compared to the GS 9F, which Seiko suggests could go 50 years without a service.
I’m impressed buy the service life of the GS.
Old 28 June 2020, 10:45 AM   #21
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with QZ movement, but hard to justify spending 3k on one. I guess OP already answered his own question.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 10:50 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I’m impressed buy the service life of the GS.
Yeah, I mean if you keep it long enough (decades) it'll repay most of its cost with no services required.

The OQ was more of a hybrid, by the way, with an eleven jewel geartrain. I only had mine for a couple of years. It didn't get too much wrist time, but my GS was bought in Japan in January 2018 and has been worn almost daily since. Finishing is in a different class to Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-10-29 13.50.45.jpg (240.8 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg GS Off Wrist.jpg (231.1 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg GREAT GS MACRO.JPG (254.7 KB, 477 views)
Old 28 June 2020, 10:56 AM   #23
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

I would go with the GS Quartz instead of the BB GMT. There is a beauty to the 9F movements. It isn't the same as a $2 Quartz movement you'd typically associate Quartz watches with. Also, for me the potential problems with the BB GMT would be a deal breaker.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:15 AM   #24
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I think the date wheel issue is overblown. My BBGMT is a 2019 and I’ve not had any issue.

Ironically, I’m not a fan of the seiko hands.

Good looking watch though.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:18 AM   #25
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
GS quartz. Best value in luxury watches. I have a GS quartz SBGX 259 and the finish is a work of art. Better finish than my Rolex or Omega. The quartz technology is awesome. Also, I like the quartz tick, very nostalgic.

StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 11:40 AM   #26
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Nothing wrong with QZ movement, but hard to justify spending 3k on one. I guess OP already answered his own question.
Yeah, I mean, for years I wore a quartz Tag and enjoyed it, but hard to see going back to quartz at this point. In my mind quartz should max out at 2k and ideally 1k, but to each his own. Have heard good things about GS, but mainly from their automatic line. This quartz may be special though, and OP should get the watch he wants regardless.
Old 28 June 2020, 12:05 PM   #27
Old Expat Beast

Few people seem to be aware that Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet also still offer a wide range of very expensive quartz-movement watches.
Old 28 June 2020, 02:07 PM   #28
Adri4n.
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, BB58 Blue
No experience with the GS, but I am thoroughly enjoying my Tudor GMT + it's got a 5-year warranty now!

There's also a fun strap thread on BB GMT to help with that decision.
Adri4n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:47 PM   #29
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I would prefer the Grand Seiko quartz.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 03:12 PM   #30
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Grand seiko makes an automatic version of that watch and have seen then for under 4K used. You get the best of both worlds. The only thing I don’t like about the Grand seiko watches are the clasps. Good luck

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote