The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 July 2020, 01:16 AM   #1
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
AP 15400ST Condition Check

Hi all,

I’m looking to pull the trigger on a 15400ST from a reputable grey dealer. They mentioned that the watch had a “light polish” in their work shop which has me a little spooked as generally I only trust polishing from manufacturer.

This also being my first AP means I’m no expert so any comments on the condition will be appreciated. Thanks!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 01:19 AM   #2
Jutch
"TRF" Member

Is this from the Watch Club in London? If so, I actually tried this on a few weeks ago. Condition looked great, didn’t notice any marks/blemishes when I tried it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 01:28 AM   #3
supernova
"TRF" Member

Yes it is! Heading there on Tuesday to check.

Have appointment with AP House also but not too hopeful there!
Old 26 July 2020, 02:35 AM   #4
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t trust anyone but ap to polish the brushed bezel.
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 03:28 AM   #5
supernova
"TRF" Member

Thanks me too but any comment on the actual watch?
Old 26 July 2020, 04:01 AM   #6
YoungMoneyAssassin
"TRF" Member

I have a 15400 that I purchased from the boutique and I think this looks pretty good. If the price is right and if the dealer is reputable, go for it!

YoungMoneyAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 04:22 AM   #7
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Thanks me too but any comment on the actual watch?

It is hard to tell from the pictures. One way to check if it was just a light polish, is to closely observe how the screws sit inside the bezel. They should be all be evenly lower than the plane of the bezel. And, when you run your fingers along the edges of the bezel, case and bracelet you should feel the sharpness. If any of the edges feel “soft”, then I’d conclude that it was more than just a light polish.

S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 04:35 AM   #8
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_driver View Post
It is hard to tell from the pictures. One way to check if it was just a light polish, is to closely observe how the screws sit inside the bezel. They should be all be evenly lower than the plane of the bezel. And, when you run your fingers along the edges of the bezel, case and bracelet you should feel the sharpness. If any of the edges feel “soft”, then I’d conclude that it was more than just a light polish.

That´s basically it. From the fotos the surface grinding, the edges and the polished surfaces all look very good. I would still check the edges of the bezel. However, even if they were not perfectly sharp anymore but if the screws sit evenly below the surface of the bezel actually I would not mind. I think it´s hard to find a "used" watch in better conditions.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 05:35 AM   #9
supernova
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the tips, very helpful!
Old 26 July 2020, 05:45 AM   #10
C_Troy242
"TRF" Member

It certainly looks light, if it was indeed polished all across. The space between the bevel on the edges of the lugs and the screwholes is ample too, just like on a new one: https://k8q7r7a2.stackpathcdn.com/wp...IHH-2019-5.jpg (granted, this is a 15500 but same case). The space on my 26315 out of the box is way narrower.

If it looks right in person, I'd feel pretty good about it. Nice piece
C_Troy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #11
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I'll be in the minority here: this does not look good. To polish watch parts properly, you have to take the watch apart and use proper tools with grit that matches what AP's specs.

The winding crown, the links, and the bezel show marks that are a bit rough. I'd pass. But some some people it is just a watch ;-)
Old 26 July 2020, 06:54 AM   #12
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
I'll be in the minority here: this does not look good. To polish watch parts properly, you have to take the watch apart and use proper tools with grit that matches what AP's specs.

The winding crown, the links, and the bezel show marks that are a bit rough. I'd pass. But some some people it is just a watch ;-)
I agree. A non AP polish would make me very nervous. The price better be really good.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 07:10 AM   #13
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I´d say this is just normal for high resolution / high contrast pics. I´d bet it looks quite perfect if you see it in the flesh.

Just compare it with official AP illustrations, e.g. here https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1220ST.01/
Old 26 July 2020, 07:29 AM   #14
supernova
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

However not sure where on the bezel and links you think look rough? The brushed effect on both those parts look similar to official photos in AP site.

Only concern I can see from the pics is the angle of the side doesn’t look as sharp although it could be lighting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 552099E6-AC8D-4658-A2F5-5CF7BB1A58CB.jpeg (55.8 KB, 240 views)
Old 26 July 2020, 07:33 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The winding crown, the links, and the bezel show marks that are a bit rough.
Could you highlight them please? I don't see them and would love to learn more about it. These AP's are tricky.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 07:40 AM   #16
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

What would hold me off I’d the bleeding polish on the top edges of the bezel, i.e. the transition from the polished flanks to the brushed top seems to be slightly behind the actual edge. Could be the lighting, but I‘ve seen a lot of APs photographed well enough and only rarely did that result in such an effect.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 08:26 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

What’s the price they are offering it to you ?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 08:51 AM   #18
supernova
"TRF" Member

I will be negotiating price when I see it in person and upon inspection of condition.

The dealer has it listed on C24 for £19,950 gbp which I think is steep and definitely won’t be paying that amount unless it is perfect which I don’t think it will be if they mentioned it being “lightly polished”. It is also purchased in 2013.

If I feel in any way it has been over polished in person, then I will walk regardless of price.
Old 26 July 2020, 07:31 PM   #19
leisen
"TRF" Member

Overall the watch is in good condition but it seems to me that the sharp angles of the bezel are slightly rounded...
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 07:35 PM   #20
Reign
"TRF" Member

It looks good but given age and polishing, I’d pay no more than £14k for it (just my view of what I’d pay)
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 12:22 AM   #21
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
It looks good but given age and polishing, I’d pay no more than £14k for it (just my view of what I’d pay)
That´s about what you had to pay some years ago. Unrealistically far away from present market prices (in EU about 20+ k€). The question is if you want an AP Royal Oak or not. Just my 5 Euro-cents.
Old 27 July 2020, 12:31 AM   #22
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
If it’s been refinished by anyone other than AP I would not touch it. At any price.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 02:30 AM   #23
supernova
"TRF" Member

£14k gbp does sound a bit too optimistic!

Main thing I’m looking for is over polish or areas where it can’t be “saved”, as if I do get it, I would be sending to AP for service and polish, go even the year. Will definitely ask for price adjustment to accommodate this.