The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2020, 04:43 PM   #1
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Can anyone tell me how a sea-dweller wears compared to a sky-dweller?

Sea dweller is one of the only watches I haven’t tried on or owned. The sky dweller is my favourite watch, and I was wondering if anyone who owns both could tell me how they wear in comparison?

Probably thinking more SD43 as the DSSD looks huge but both model comparisons are welcome.

JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
SD43 is one of the most comfortable watches I own. Has great wrist presence.

Some will say it wears high, due to the thicker case, or it is heavy and you feel it after a few hours.

I have none of that and after swapping out the bracelet for a NATO it’s even more comfy.
Old 26 August 2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I do not own either but I have tried both on: TT Sky Dweller, a full YG Sky Dweller and an SD43. In short, I think the Sky-Dweller wears big for 42mm and the SD43 wears small for 43mm.

The Sky-Dweller feels absolutely massive on the wrist, and it is: 50mm lug-to-lug and 14mm thick. It feels much, much bigger than my Speedy Pro which is also 42mm. It really feels like too big of a watch for something that is trying to be on the more elegant side of sports watches. I also think it looks "fat" on the bracelet compared to a DJ. It looks better on the strap.

The SD43, which is actually larger dimensionally than the Sky-Dweller, feels more comfortable size-wise. I think maybe in my mind I just think it's more appropriate for a dive watch to be that size. The thickness of the bezel balances the size of the dial, and the overall case to me really maintains the classic Rolex diver proportions.

It's a shame, because I think the Sky-Dweller is an extremely cool and beautiful piece, but in person it just doesn't work for me.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
I have both the Sky-Dweller and the SD43, but take my opinions with a grain of salt, as it's only my opinion:

I was amazed at how well the Sky-Dweller fit me. It is like a slightly better fitting DJ41 that is a little thicker. I am not sure of my wrist size but with it fit me with all links and the micro adjust on the largest setting with the EZ-Link not out it fit. Barely.

The SD43 is much the same. It's a bigger watch than the 116610, but it wears very well. I had the AD take off the diver's extension thingie. I am honestly not sure if he took out any links though. To tell the truth, I have put on a few pounds since the Covid-19 deal and it fits a little too snug to be comfortable.

I would say if one feels okay to you, the other will too. Just my half-vast opinion.

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5518 View Post
I have both the Sky-Dweller and the SD43, but take my opinions with a grain of salt, as it's only my opinion:

I was amazed at how well the Sky-Dweller fit me. It is like a slightly better fitting DJ41 that is a little thicker. I am not sure of my wrist size but with it fit me with all links and the micro adjust on the largest setting with the EZ-Link not out it fit. Barely.

The SD43 is much the same. It's a bigger watch than the 116610, but it wears very well. I had the AD take off the diver's extension thingie. I am honestly not sure if he took out any links though. To tell the truth, I have put on a few pounds since the Covid-19 deal and it fits a little too snug to be comfortable.

I would say if one feels okay to you, the other will too. Just my half-vast opinion.

Thanks. Obviously I would try before I bought one just interested to hear owners of Both opinion.

Would you prefer to wear the sd43 over the sub?
Old 26 August 2020, 07:08 PM   #6
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Thanks. Obviously I would try before I bought one just interested to hear owners of Both opinion.

The SD43 is my daily. I own the sub LN and LV but the SD43 gets the most wrist time. Currently I’m wearing a BLNR as my daily so it’s odd. If I could only keep one watch it would be the SD43. Interesting enough I’m considering picking up the SS black SkyD. I think it wears comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 07:11 PM   #7
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Quote:

I don't have a solid answer and I thought about it before responding. The SD43 is like a bigger Sub that wears well, yet it's a totally different watch. I know it doesn't make sense, but it's the best way I can describe the two.

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 08:09 PM   #8
QLlector
"TRF" Member

I own and love both. Wear both regularly and for quite some time now.

Wrist size is around 7” and can say that both are quire substantial and well balanced on the wrist. The SkyD wears a bit larger although its technically 42.

Highly recommend both, as for “elegance” wear what you see fit and if you want to go by the book the try a thin <40mm watch with PM and a leather strap.

I would wear both SkyD and SD43 with a suit any day.
QLlector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 08:18 PM   #9
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLlector View Post
I own and love both. Wear both regularly and for quite some time now.

Wrist size is around 7” and can say that both are quire substantial and well balanced on the wrist. The SkyD wears a bit larger although its technically 42.

Highly recommend both, as for “elegance” wear what you see fit and if you want to go by the book the try a thin <40mm watch with PM and a leather strap.

I would wear both SkyD and SD43 with a suit any day.
You think the skyD wears larger that’s interesting. Thanks for the reply.

As I said previously the skyD is my favourite watch so I’m thinking about trying this one alongside it.
Old 26 August 2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I don’t have the sky dweller but tried it many times.
To put it short, the sky dweller wears larger than a 42 and the sea dweller wears smaller than a 43. Both are the perfect size for my taste and 7.5” wrist.
The proportions of the SD43 are perfections to the eye and perfection to the wearer. You’ll love its presence.

Old 26 August 2020, 08:38 PM   #11
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Sea dweller is one of the only watches I haven’t tried on or owned. The sky dweller is my favourite watch, and I was wondering if anyone who owns both could tell me how they wear in comparison?

Probably thinking more SD43 as the DSSD looks huge but both model comparisons are welcome.

I own both and they are both very comfortable to wear, the SkyDweller seems to wear slightly larger, although the SeaDweller does stand marginally higher.

When I wear my Plat DD40, it now does seem on the small size.

The weight of the SeaDweller isn’t an issue!

My wrist is just over 7inches.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 09:04 PM   #12
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Own all three you mentioned. Style wise, it’s kind of and apples to oranges comparison, but with that said...
The SD43 and the 126660 wear very similarly now that the DSSD has the wider bracelet and shorter lug to lug and end link to end link distance than it previous version. The DSSD is obviously a bit taller, but when sized properly, both are very comfortable IMO.
Those two vs the SkD...wear a bit heavier and feel chunkier ....as they should. But as far as the real estate taken up on the wrist, it’s very similar, as the lug to lug and overall widths, are almost the exact same.
As far as visually...the difference in the SD43 and the SkD isn’t really much different, size wise. The difference between the SkD and DSSD is all height, when comparing visually on the wrist.
The appearance of the SkD on the wrist, being as big as a 43 or 44mm, (especially in white), compares similarly also, due to the dial appearing bigger than the dive watches. Especially the DSSD.
But, as I said...they’re very different style wise, when looking at your wrist, so the style comparison is very different, but size wise, when switching between the references, there’s no “visual shock” as I’d call it.
Like when switching from the DSSD to a 36mm for example.
This is my version and take on owning these references, and JMO....
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 09:11 PM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have a 7 inch wrist, I have the 116660 Deep Blue and the first time I put it on it seemed big but I liked it and I hardly noticed after that.
Old 26 August 2020, 09:18 PM   #14
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

In December I tried on a TT SD and a RG SkyD back-to-back. I preferred how the SkyD fit on my wrist compared to the TT SD. I honestly think it’ll vary person to person though.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 01:55 AM   #15
koko105
"TRF" Member

Here how they look on the rest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
koko105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 02:55 AM   #16
Dhiren
"TRF" Member

Here are a few pictures the Sky D wears bigger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Dhiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #17
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Please do not buy an SD43 without trying it on and bracelet properly sized.
I sold mine after only a week, most uncomfortable watch I've ever worn, the protruding case back is awful and makes the watch wobble, no such issues with a DSSD due to the better flatter case back design so even though it's taller and heavier I find it wears so much better
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 05:51 AM   #18
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko105 View Post

Here how they look on the rest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s very helpful thanks. You look as though you have the same size wrist as me going off the skyD photo, and that sd43 looks really good on you. I like the red text on it.
Old 27 August 2020, 05:52 AM   #19
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Please do not buy an SD43 without trying it on and bracelet properly sized.
I sold mine after only a week, most uncomfortable watch I've ever worn, the protruding case back is awful and makes the watch wobble, no such issues with a DSSD due to the better flatter case back design so even though it's taller and heavier I find it wears so much better
Thanks for the advice
Old 16 October 2020, 05:37 AM   #20
SEA watch addict
"TRF" Member

I’m sure you don’t mean the 40mm SD 4000, but that’s the comparison I can offer. I have a 2016 SD 4000 (they are 40mm ceramic bezels) and a 2020 SS Sky-Dweller, black dial. Love them both. I have a 7.1 inch wrist.
SEA watch addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 06:13 AM   #21
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The SD43 has a caseback that protrudes like a bump in comparison to the SkyD.
IMO, the SkyD is more comfortable to wear overall.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 06:19 AM   #22
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

I have 6.75. Sky d wears more comfortable to me but both are great. Def was not the case at first with the sd43. Was so uncomfortable at first but with suggestions of forum members , I removed the divers extension myself and it changed the whole feel and comfort of the watch. The oyster wraps around my wrist just like a dj , sub or gmt would wear.

I tried on the jc depends sea but that was just too big for me.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 07:03 AM   #23
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
All I can say is, I have a 7 inch wrist and I love my 116660 JC DSSD so much, I have to talk myself into wearing my other watches. I tried on a Sky D last fall but to me it felt like I was wearing a slightly larger Daytona. Didn’t spend much time with it though.

Old 8 December 2020, 09:36 AM   #24
JSolution
"TRF" Member

I’m still on the fence about the sd43 would be interested to here some more opinions on this subject :)
Old 8 December 2020, 12:27 PM   #25
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
I’m still on the fence about the sd43 would be interested to here some more opinions on this subject :)

Let me help you jumping over that fence :-)

Old 8 December 2020, 01:39 PM   #26
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Both are my favorite watches. Both are comfy to wear. The difference is what occasion to wear them. Good luck!!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 01:48 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground when it comes to the SD43. IMHO, it either suits your wrist or it doesn’t.

It’s a bit of a shame, but you really have to have it sized properly to even get a sense of whether it might work. Even then, I find it takes wearing these larger Rolex divers for extended periods to truly know. Mine was a 3 year work in progress

To me, it’s a rotation watch YMMV.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 02:04 PM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
SD50th close to SkyD
DSSD wears heavier .
Favourite wearer is the original 116660 DSSD .126660 sits well .
I love watches of substance .Large wrists as well .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2020, 06:11 AM   #29
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
SD43 has been my daily since early August and after a couple of days adjusting to the weight increase (from a Sub Date) it’s been the perfect everyday piece. I’ve tried on a SkyD and it was very comfortable as well but as other have said it does wear big for its size because of how big the dial is (kind of like the Exp II).

Either way great choices but for a daily wear piece, it’s the SD43 no question.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2023, 11:33 PM   #30
EA287
"TRF" Member

SD43 is my daily and the sky dweller just feels too big.
EA287 is offline   Reply With Quote