The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2020, 06:55 PM   #1
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Rolex Dubai AD - RANT!

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever thread and I want to share my experience with the Dubai Ahmed Seddiqi and Sons AD.
Long story short I put my name on the waitlist for a submariner Ref: 114060 which according to the SA's at different outlets told me would not be that hard to acquire and the time would be 3 - 6 Months.

Fast forward 5 months later I call to inquire and they tell me that bookings for the old 114060 reference numbers have been completely scraped off from the systems and will not be transferred over to the new reference 124060.

I was a little bummed but then I thought screw it lets just get on the waitlist AGAIN for the new reference number and then they tell me we're now only putting clients on the waitlist who have prior purchase history!!!!

I don't want to play the rolex game anymore. If they want to keep selling to their "repeat clients", good for them.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to let the steam out...

EDIT: I do have rolex purchase histroy with an Abu Dhabi AD called Rasool Khoury and sons which is technically owned by the Dubai AD.
But they only want the purchase history with their Dubai AD. Bullocks!!!!

Last edited by ibzk; 3 September 2020 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: missed out a point
ibzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:00 PM   #2
cari66ean
"TRF" Member

Yeah that's the AD though. I was at 2 ADs on the 1st as well... one was very forthcoming, the second was not a pleasure to deal with (coincidentally that was the smaller of the two).
cari66ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:05 PM   #3
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cari66ean View Post
Yeah that's the AD though. I was at 2 ADs on the 1st as well... one was very forthcoming, the second was not a pleasure to deal with (coincidentally that was the smaller of the two).
The sad part is theres only one AD in Dubai.. So like a monopoly
Old 3 September 2020, 07:09 PM   #4
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzk View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first ever thread and I want to share my experience with the Dubai Ahmed Seddiqi and Sons AD.
Long story short I put my name on the waitlist for a submariner Ref: 114060 which according to the SA's at different outlets told me would not be that hard to acquire and the time would be 3 - 6 Months.

Fast forward 5 months later I call to inquire and they tell me that bookings for the old 114060 reference numbers have been completely scraped off from the systems and will not be transferred over to the new reference 124060.

I was a little bummed but then I thought screw it lets just get on the waitlist AGAIN for the new reference number and then they tell me we're now only putting clients on the waitlist who have prior purchase history!!!!

I don't want to play the rolex game anymore. If they want to keep selling to their "repeat clients", good for them.

EDIT: I do have rolex purchase histroy with an Abu Dhabi AD called Rasool Khoury and sons which is technically owned by the Dubai AD.
I've found the Abu Dhabi stores are more helpful and usually have more stock.
Siddque are a joke
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Aerotol786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is very unfortunate but I'm not surprised since its all one family owning it in dubai. Mrkhoory IS NOT owned by Dubai's Seddiqi. In fact they're competitors. Try in Abu Dhabi as they tend to be better. Follow up and see how it goes. There was a Youtuber in Dubai who did a tour of the store. Emkwan. I watched it recently and was not surprised to see hardly any ss watches. mostly Datejust and day dates.
Aerotol786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Rolex Dubai AD - RANT!

Welcome to the forum and hi from Dubai.

My tale is similar. I have been waiting since January 2019 for the Sub Date and despite chasing I heard nothing.

I also asked for a blue DJ41 in February. I was promised 3 months maximum. It’s now 7 months later and again despite promise after promise they’d delivered nothing.

As said, Seddiqi are a joke of a company but unless you’re willing to either travel or pay grey market prices there are few options.

If you really really want the sub then you’ll be in for a long wait. I’d probably look for something else (which is what I did and couldn’t be happier).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:21 PM   #7
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Welcome to the forum and hi from Dubai.

My tale is similar. I have been waiting since January 2019 for the Sub Date and despite chasing I heard nothing.

I also asked for a blue DJ41 in February. I was promised 3 months maximum. It’s now 7 months later and again despite promise after promise they’d delivered nothing.

As said, Seddiqi are a joke of a company but unless you’re willing to either travel or pay grey market prices there are few options.

If you really really want the sub then you’ll be in for a long wait. I’d probably look for something else (which is what I did and couldn’t be happier).
Man I'm very sorry to hear that.. you wont believe this but when I went to the AD at MoE to get myself registered for the waitlist they offered me a DJ41 in blue dial on the spot.
I had to kindly refuse because I had just bought a DJ36 a couple months earlier.
Old 3 September 2020, 07:26 PM   #8
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Consider other options. Rolex is just one great brand of watches in a sea of great watches.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:29 PM   #9
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Man I'm very sorry to hear that.. you wont believe this but when I went to the AD at MoE to get myself registered for the waitlist they offered me a DJ41 in blue dial on the spot.
I had to kindly refuse because I had just bought a DJ36 a couple months earlier.

Thanks for the heads up. I was over it the moment I picked up a mint 16610 instead. I won’t do business with them now
Old 3 September 2020, 07:49 PM   #10
abhishekd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
I’ve bought a number of watches from Ahmed Seddiqi. They’ve sold me my Sub, Hulk and Batman and I’ve also bought a Tudor GMT from them.
Admittedly my first purchase from them a few years ago was a TT lady datejust with diamonds on the dial and bezel. I have also bought two more datejusts from them.
They don’t maintain a chronological waitlist but instead keep a “wishlist” from clients. I’m on their wishlist for a Pepsi for over a year and don’t know how long it will take to finally get one. The only watches they are unable to put me on their wishlist for are the SS Daytonas!
To know more about their process of allocating watches please see this link from Dubai Watch Week 2019:
https://www.dubaiwatchweek.com/video...it-list-video/
abhishekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 07:54 PM   #11
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekd View Post
I’ve bought a number of watches from Ahmed Seddiqi. They’ve sold me my Sub, Hulk and Batman and I’ve also bought a Tudor GMT from them.
Admittedly my first purchase from them a few years ago was a TT lady datejust with diamonds on the dial and bezel. I have also bought two more datejusts from them.
They don’t maintain a chronological waitlist but instead keep a “wishlist” from clients. I’m on their wishlist for a Pepsi for over a year and don’t know how long it will take to finally get one. The only watches they are unable to put me on their wishlist for are the SS Daytonas!
To know more about their process of allocating watches please see this link from Dubai Watch Week 2019:
https://www.dubaiwatchweek.com/video...it-list-video/

Hi Abhishek,
thanks for your reply.. they told me theres a wish-list for the submariner date and a wait-list for the sub no date.. This was confirmed at Palm Atlantis AD, MoE AD and Wafi mall AD.
The thing thats bothering me is that they completely scraped off the wait list for the older model 114060 and refused to put me on the wait or wish list for the new model unless I have any purchase history with them.

It's like all of these wait/wishlists are a scam.
Old 3 September 2020, 08:14 PM   #12
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's like all of these wait/wishlists are a scam.
They are a scam.
Old 3 September 2020, 09:16 PM   #13
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Guys, feeling a bit entitled ? Haven’t you noticed this is common practice all over the world.
Don’t you think it is fair and good business practice to give repeat customers priority ?
Old 3 September 2020, 09:29 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I have enough trouble competing with clientele in my blue collar rust belt town I can’t imagine what the VIP threshold is in Dubai
Old 3 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #15
Swrots
"TRF" Member

I refuse to play the games Seddiqi plays. Treated me exactly how the OP described yesterday afternoon. I rather buy else where than Seddiqi. In Abu Dhabi, an AD offered me the 114060 earlier this year. I had to turn it down due to covid but at least they treated me with respect than the clowns in Dubai.
Swrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 09:46 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like Dubai needs another AD.

I can understand your frustration at this treatment. Hopefully posting about if will help you get past it.

But don't waste too much energy. Someone who won't help you isn't worth the effort, even of typing. Your energy and resources will be best used elsewhere. And you'll get your watch, one way or another, if you want it that bad.

Good luck.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 09:46 PM   #17
1665fan
"TRF" Member

These AD are in million/billion dollar areas....they do not care about an average joe looking for a steel sub......why should they??? Just common sense....money rules everything and a watch less than 10k is pennies to them
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 10:03 PM   #18
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

I can understand your frustration at this treatment. Hopefully posting about if will help you get past it.

But don't waste too much energy. Someone who won't help you isn't worth the effort, even of typing. Your energy and resources will be best used elsewhere. And you'll get your watch, one way or another, if you want it that bad.

Good luck.

Well, if it’s an AD of the sort you guys think consumers deserve, where everyone who can afford a desired watch at MSRP, or even the courtesy of being placed on ‘the list’, guess what?

They would sell out real quickly of the popular models, more than a few of which will certainly go to scalpers because hey, they too can afford MSRP!

And the datejusts, day dates would be left untouched, and soon the AD can’t pay for whatever Rolex ships to them (unless it’s an AD that likes to lose money) because they’re moving only the popular models, and not the high margin ones.

And AD goes bust. Another AD, the fairer sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #19
Sportsnerdy
"TRF" Member

Sorry but i sense too much of an entitlement in this post. Especially with someone with no purchase history. If I am frequent client of the AD, I definitely will want to be prioritised over someone who is new. Who knows whether you are going to flip the watch for a profit? At least for a repeated client, the AD is more assured.
Sportsnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 10:06 PM   #20
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

Good luck.

Well, if it’s an AD of the sort you guys think consumers deserve, where everyone who can afford a desired watch at MSRP, or even the courtesy of being placed on ‘the list’, guess what?

They would sell out real quickly of the popular models, more than a few of which will certainly go to scalpers because hey, they too can afford MSRP!

And the datejusts, day dates would be left untouched, and soon the AD can’t pay for whatever Rolex ships to them (unless it’s an AD that likes to lose money) because they’re moving only the popular models, and not the high margin ones.

Perhaps the AD could tell Rolex ‘we’ll take these sports ones, but we don’t want the datejusts and day dates cos we can’t sell them’?

Old 3 September 2020, 10:15 PM   #21
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I’ve seen photos of the store, looks amazing and I hope to visit there some day...
Old 3 September 2020, 11:01 PM   #22
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnerdy View Post
Sorry but i sense too much of an entitlement in this post. Especially with someone with no purchase history. If I am frequent client of the AD, I definitely will want to be prioritised over someone who is new. Who knows whether you are going to flip the watch for a profit? At least for a repeated client, the AD is more assured.
I guess thats the issue, you guys like to treat your AD's like Gods.
Old 3 September 2020, 11:11 PM   #23
Sportsnerdy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess thats the issue, you guys like to treat your AD's like Gods.
We don't. We buy things that we like and build up a relationship gradually. The AD rewards us by occasionally giving us things that we request for. It is a normal relationship.

We don't come to the forum whining like kids just because we can't get the things we want.
Sportsnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #24
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnerdy View Post
We don't. We buy things that we like and build up a relationship gradually. The AD rewards us by occasionally giving us things that we request for. It is a normal relationship.

We don't come to the forum whining like kids just because we can't get the things we want.

Well, I mean, the threads name contains the word rant in capitals..
If I disagree with the way an AD treats its customers, its my personal opinion. The AD could've told me from the start you need a prior purchase to get on the wait-list. what's with the U-TURN 5 months later?

Telling someone "we don't come to the forum whining like kids just because we can't get the things we want" will not make you a big person, mate.

Cheers
Old 4 September 2020, 12:05 AM   #25
DL19
"TRF" Member

I think you're missing the point of the post... 100% repeat clients should be prioritized. But the OP is upset (rightly so) because he was run in circles before being told it is for repeat clients, as opposed to being told from the start that the model is reserved for existing customers
DL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:16 AM   #26
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL19 View Post
I think you're missing the point of the post... 100% repeat clients should be prioritized. But the OP is upset (rightly so) because he was run in circles before being told it is for repeat clients, as opposed to being told from the start that the model is reserved for existing customers

This.

I have no objections to ‘the games ADs play’, so long as they do not outright lie, and I make no assumptions on my part until an actual negotiation takes place.

And I’m happy with the way mine has turned out.

But OP got outright lied to. Then there are those who refuse to play the game on the based on some sort of moral high ground.

Old 4 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #27
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have enough trouble competing with clientele in my blue collar rust belt town I can’t imagine what the VIP threshold is in Dubai
It’s even worse than money, you probably get sidetracked by governments members.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:25 AM   #28
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Seddiqi and Sons is a great AD. Did you go to the mall location? Try the Atlantis hotel location
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:32 AM   #29
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have found Seddiqi great to work with. Have purchased several watches from them with fine service. I have purchased as gifts ladies watches in PM and with diamonds and imagine that helps. I assume just being interested in purchasing high demand SS watches would be a negative factor.

Also, through Swiss Watch Services, Seddiqi services both Rolex and other fine watches under factory authorization.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2020, 12:47 AM   #30
ibzk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Seddiqi and Sons is a great AD. Did you go to the mall location? Try the Atlantis hotel location
Yes I did...
I just wanna put it out there that I have no personal grudge against the AD. I’m just bummed about the fact that I had to wait for nothing...

The SA’s and everyone I interacted with at seddiqi were very polite and forthcoming.