The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2020, 07:32 AM   #1
troytos23
"TRF" Member

Is the price negotiable if buying a PP at Tiffany&Co boutique?

I would like to ask if i want to buy a PP watch at Tiffany and Co boutique. Can i negotiate the price like buying from the AD. thanks
troytos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Nope...no price negotiation and most of their Patek references have wait lists as well. If you are looking for price flexibility then Tiffany is not for you.
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 09:39 AM   #3
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Just like LV, you can’t negotiate anything at Tiffany. No sales, no discount ever.
Old 7 September 2020, 09:56 AM   #4
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex

Last time I was at Tiffany looking at engagement rings, the SA was super pushy but kept saying she will talk to her manager about a better deal. So discounts definitely there, maybe just for their more expensive pieces, not sure about PP pieces though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:28 AM   #5
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Over a year back, I visited the LA store. They had very little in stock but offered to transfer in from NYC the 5227r I was looking for. A few days later they called, I went in, paid MSRP and I was the proud owner. The advantage of me wanting a non-wait list watch. I love it - the watch is super classic, the hunter case back is fun, and the Tiffany stamp is small, subtle, and just the right little extra to help differentiate this particular watch in my collection.

When they went to package up the watch, they realized they didn't have the Tiffany Patek outer box in stock, they were quite embarrassed and very apologetic. About a week later as promised the Tiffany outer box arrived with a bunch of goodies (a writing pad set, a couple of pens, a few other desk supplies) with an apology / thank you note.

Overall...a very nice experience, everyone was easy to talk with, they knew I was not a life long customer and was just looking to add a T stamp to the collection for the particular piece I came in for but they treated me very nicely. I did ask about pricing and the manager very nicely confirmed that while they can sometimes offer a discount on some of their own collection, they typically only do so for repeat customers and he was not aware of ever getting authorization to discount anything in the Patek/Tiffany collection. He did playfully offer to take me to the fine jewelry section and was sure we could get something done. He had a nice sense of humor...we joked about a bunch of things, he was clearly gifted at his craft of managing a high end jewelry store in a big market.

While they were not 'experts' on the Patek brand in the Tiffany LA store, they were very service oriented and where happy to call to get details on some of the question I threw out about the harder to get pieces. Since I wasn't really serious and was just looking to get some unique info...I told them not to go to the trouble. They did encourage me to visit the NYC flagship and gave me both his own card and a card of the folks in NYC (not the famed Kelly).
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:44 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Zero discounts at Tiffany’s, unless you are a loyal customer and have strong spend history. Then maybe 5% or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:52 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nein nein nein nein.
Old 7 September 2020, 10:54 AM   #8
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troytos23 View Post
I would like to ask if i want to buy a PP watch at Tiffany and Co boutique. Can i negotiate the price like buying from the AD. thanks
Are you asking if they will sell you a watch if you offer them more than retail?
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 11:16 AM   #9
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Are you asking if they will sell you a watch if you offer them more than retail?
Haha...Exactly! Need to ask if paying MORE will even qualify you for a Tiffany dial Patek. Certainly NOT less!
Old 7 September 2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Alas, no.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 11:34 AM   #11
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troytos23 View Post

Nope
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #12
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
No discount - I’ve heard of different straps and deployant clasps getting thrown in.

The only saving grace is consistently strong resale value with the stamp.

Old 7 September 2020, 10:31 PM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Can you negotiate at ADs?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 11:41 PM   #14
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Can you negotiate at ADs?

Yes on harder to move pieces.

Old 7 September 2020, 11:43 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
From what I hear if you want Tiffany on dial, it’s even more expensive
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 01:56 AM   #16
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’ve never bought one but I’d assume it’s going to be MSRP

Old 8 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #17
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Last time I was at Tiffany looking at engagement rings, the SA was super pushy but kept saying she will talk to her manager about a better deal. So discounts definitely there, maybe just for their more expensive pieces, not sure about PP pieces though...

I’m curious when this was? I’ve never heard of anyone getting a discount on anything from a Tiffany store, I didn’t think it was possible. I have a feeling the SA you were speaking with just meant that she would search their inventory to find a competitively priced diamond for you and not offering a discount.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 06:20 AM   #18
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
I’m curious when this was? I’ve never heard of anyone getting a discount on anything from a Tiffany store, I didn’t think it was possible. I have a feeling the SA you were speaking with just meant that she would search their inventory to find a competitively priced diamond for you and not offering a discount.

Last year at Milan boutique.

We started by informing the SA that our budget was around €20k. She then pulled out some diamond rings €40k+ and my fiancé continued to try some on as we didn’t want to be rude and did like this one for around €55k. We had no intention to buy at that price but SA continued to push us and when she went to see which country of origin the diamond was, came back and informed us that her manager agreed to sell the diamond to us for €50k.

It was still well over our budget and we just wanted to leave at this point. Kept pushing us saying the ring can be sized for tomorrow as we were leaving the next day. Said we think about it over next few hours and was allowed to leave. The SA even called us later that evening but we didn’t pick up.

It was our last time and experience in a Tiffany store...

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 08:16 AM   #19
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:

We started by informing the SA that our budget was around €20k. She then pulled out some diamond rings €40k+ and my fiancé continued to try some on as we didn’t want to be rude and did like this one for around €55k. We had no intention to buy at that price but SA continued to push us and when she went to see which country of origin the diamond was, came back and informed us that her manager agreed to sell the diamond to us for €50k.

It was still well over our budget and we just wanted to leave at this point. Kept pushing us saying the ring can be sized for tomorrow as we were leaving the next day. Said we think about it over next few hours and was allowed to leave. The SA even called us later that evening but we didn’t pick up.

What a bizarre experience you had! The reason I asked is because we “upgraded” my wife’s engagement ring this past December. Did some extensive googling but everything I found regarding negotiation at Tiffany’s said it’s a non starter. Anyway our experience was great but absolutely no discount. Price was non negotiable and the ring was in that price range. Perhaps this varies by country.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 09:05 AM   #20
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tiffany co-branded Pateks can only be purchased from one of their US boutiques (NY, LA, SF ... IIRC) ... nothing from Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, etc.
Old 8 September 2020, 10:37 AM   #21
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
Tiffany co-branded Pateks can only be purchased from one of their US boutiques (NY, LA, SF ... IIRC) ... nothing from Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, etc.
Correct.

Though, to be specific, they are only "sold" from some of their key US boutiques.

Doesn't necessarily mean they can't be purchased elsewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if sales associates / managers at other boutiques coordinate with their counterparts in NYC, SF, etc.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #22
sambb
"TRF" Member

are non-sports models more availanle? im interested in a grand complication.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 07:14 AM   #23
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Correct.

Though, to be specific, they are only "sold" from some of their key US boutiques.

Doesn't necessarily mean they can't be purchased elsewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if sales associates / managers at other boutiques coordinate with their counterparts in NYC, SF, etc.
No coordination or cross-pollination amongst branches ~ boutique only.
Old 14 September 2020, 11:43 AM   #24
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
No coordination or cross-pollination amongst branches ~ boutique only.
Wait, so a loyal long term customer at a Tiffany Boutique in Paris won't be able to get one with the Boutique manager reaching out to the NYC Boutique manager, and arranging something special?
Old 14 September 2020, 11:58 AM   #25
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wait, so a loyal long term customer at a Tiffany Boutique in Paris won't be able to get one with the Boutique manager reaching out to the NYC Boutique manager, and arranging something special?
Short answer is “NOPE”. You can be the Queen of England and the Tiffany store in London will not be able to help you. You will need to personally FLY to the US and specifically the Tiffany stores mentioned that sells Patek watches to have any chance...

NYC - competing against private equity, fund managers, etc (basically multimillionaire if not billionaires)
SF - competition are tech gurus, start-ups, and basically very very rich young professionals earning multimillions in stock options
LA - celebrities, DJs, Hip Hop artists...nuff said
Hawaii - Hmm....may have a better chance there!
Old 14 September 2020, 12:00 PM   #26
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Short answer is “NOPE”. You can be the Queen of England and the Tiffany store in London will not be able to help you. You will need to personally FLY to the US and specifically the Tiffany stores mentioned that sells Patek watches to have any chance...
Learned something new! Thank you.
Old 14 September 2020, 12:22 PM   #27
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

NYC - competing against private equity, fund managers, etc (basically multimillionaire if not billionaires)
SF - competition are tech gurus, start-ups, and basically very very rich young professionals earning multimillions in stock options
LA - celebrities, DJs, Hip Hop artists...nuff said
Hawaii - Hmm....may have a better chance there!

Not true, I’ve had friends that were important customers of Tiffany branch locations that were able to get pieces from NYC.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2020, 12:23 PM   #28
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

FYI... 98% of tech gurus and tech millionaires don't care about expensive Swiss watches.
Old 14 September 2020, 12:32 PM   #29
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FYI... 98% of tech gurus and tech millionaires don't care about expensive Swiss watches.
Haha...read this. I have colleagues in Silicon Valley and they don’t wear Apple watches...the guys in the know wear MECHANICAL watches

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/s...e-watches.html

“ Silicon Valley heavyweights like Kevin Rose, the Digg founder, and Matt Jacobson, Facebook’s employee No. 8, have museum-worthy Rolexes and Patek Philippes, helping to establish a head-turning timepiece as a tech-world style flourish to rival the hoodie.”
Old 14 September 2020, 12:35 PM   #30
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha...read this. I have colleagues in Silicon Valley and they don’t wear Apple watches...the guys in the know wear MECHANICAL watches

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/s...e-watches.html

“ Silicon Valley heavyweights like Kevin Rose, the Digg founder, and Matt Jacobson, Facebook’s employee No. 8, have museum-worthy Rolexes and Patek Philippes, helping to establish a head-turning timepiece as a tech-world style flourish to rival the hoodie.”
Those people don't make up the majority of tech millionaires and billionaires. Those are "tech celebrities."