The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 September 2020, 08:36 AM   #1
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Lange Odysseus, what's the verdict?

As a longtime admirer of Lange's level of craftsmanship and finishing, I am mulling over whether to put my name down for the steel Odysseus. I would love to hear what other collectors - and especially current owners - think of this watch now a year in? Is it a long term collectable icon which collectors will "warm" to over time (like an ugly duckling) or a Nautilus/Royal Oak me-too watch trying too hard with an aesthetic design that is - for lack of a better word - "slightly off"?

I am already fortunate enough to have an 1815 Chronograph (Boutique edition) in my collection which I absolutely adore. So I am contemplating adding the Oddyseus since it (i) is something special as Lange's first "official" steel watch and (ii) would be a great complement to the 1815 Chrono (i.e. it is a more causal / sporty Lange with an automatic movement and a day-date complication).

As many watch enthusiasts, I initially had my reservations about the aesthetics of the bracelet and the lugs but absolutely loved the blue dial and the new more sturdy movement with its dark grey rotor. I have now seen / tried the watch in the flesh a few times and must admit that the bracelet look a lot better in person and especially when the watch sits on the wrist. The craftsmanship of the bracelet and "easy-adjust" clasp are definitely also something to behold from a technical perspective.

However, to be honest I am still a bit on the fence with regard to the aesthetics of the bracelet / lugs. I am also a bit disappointed with the fact Lange went out of its way to design things in such a way that the new straps for the white gold version(s) do not fit the steel version. Would have been so nice if Lange had followed Vacheron's lead and offered the collector the choice of switching between bracelet and rubber/leather straps. Seems the only choice in this regard is third part straps (and according to rumours even that option might disappear after the initial batch of steel Odysseus are produced with the end links becoming fully integrated like on the WG version).

For a while I was also considering going with the white gold version, but there are so many other great Lange watches in white gold available around that price, which makes the WG Odysseus feel a bit less special versus the more unique steel version. I also really love the blue dial of the steel version, and while the grey dial of the WG version is nice it seems a bit more dull for my taste.

Anyway, looking forward to hear what the collector community thinks! or ?
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:11 AM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I just think there are more interesting sport watches around for the money... And I say that as a massive Lange fanboy.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:19 AM   #3
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

First was one was posted for 68k on Davidsw website FWIW. Lets see if the demand follows.
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:38 AM   #4
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
First was one was posted for 68k on Davidsw website FWIW. Lets see if the demand follows.
More than 2x retail. Wow.

I'm interested if/when they make more complicated variants.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:40 AM   #5
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I like the white gold version best. Neither are true sport watches
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 09:44 AM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Weird. Didn't think it was that hard to get.
Old 11 September 2020, 09:46 AM   #7
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Weird. Didn't think it was that hard to get.
It is. They made the SS blue dial variant a relationship piece.
Old 11 September 2020, 10:00 AM   #8
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just think there are more interesting sport watches around for the money... And I say that as a massive Lange fanboy.
Thanks for chipping in. Besides the obvious PP/AP/VC ones which other watches in the luxury sports segment do think would be more interesting vs. Odysseus?
Old 11 September 2020, 10:04 AM   #9
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! That’s crazy! Must be the fact that so few are available on the secondary market so far. I guess Lange tries its best to avoid these initial pieces getting into the hands of flippers.
Old 11 September 2020, 10:05 AM   #10
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I like the white gold version best. Neither are true sport watches
The leather strap version is really nice. Had it been with blue dial (and preferably in steel) I would have been all over it
Old 11 September 2020, 10:06 AM   #11
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It is. They made the SS blue dial variant a relationship piece.
Seems so. I was told it is an application piece requiring previous purchase history (at least for now).
Old 11 September 2020, 11:04 AM   #12
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Yeah I just confirmed with the guys I bought my Zeitwerk from that the wait is until EoY 2021. Pretty wild.
Old 11 September 2020, 11:23 AM   #13
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I just confirmed with the guys I bought my Zeitwerk from that the wait is until EoY 2021. Pretty wild.
It's not because it's super duper popular, though.

It's because Lange is artificially keeping SS production down. They're not an SS company. They're a PM company. I believe they planned to keep it under 200/yr.
Old 11 September 2020, 11:41 AM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

is it still boutique only? i quite like it but was told it would be a wait
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 12:39 PM   #15
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

To me, your 5164, 5712 and 1815 chrono are amazing and the very best in their category. The Odysseus is not in the same league to me. I tried it on, and was disappointed. The blue dial didn’t have the quality feeling I expect from Lange. Fairly dull and plasticky looking...
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 12:41 PM   #16
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

When I was at a boutique, they straight up told me if I buy any other watch I could get the Odysseus, which I tried on. Don't have any purchase history. Seems like a much better deal than paying 68k for just the Odysseus. But don't really have that kind of money to drop on watches.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 12:56 PM   #17
Nightdate
"TRF" Member

I think it is a relationship piece (well at least for the next year or two at least). I was told mid to end 2021 if I was lucky.

I quite liked it in person. A lot more than I did on paper. That Lange finishing is just something different. Taking everything into account though, the VC overseas is where I ended up. Extremely satisfied with the choice.

I think the option of the rubber strap on the steel will be what makes it desirable (or mainstream I guess) especially given that price tag.
Nightdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 12:58 PM   #18
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I think you guys all need to handle this watch. In pictures, it looks like crap IMO. In your hand, it's the BEST constructed watch in its class. I mean that. It crushes the 5711 and 15500.

Never thought I'd actually say that, but I've had/had them all.
Old 11 September 2020, 04:29 PM   #19
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I really like it. However, despite a purchase history of a platinum Lange 1 Moonphase and requesting the watch as soon as it was announced, I was still turned down by the company.

Not a particularly pleasant experience. Anyway, I’ve decided to purchase an alternative.

So it goes.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 04:58 PM   #20
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I really like it. However, despite a purchase history of a platinum Lange 1 Moonphase and requesting the watch as soon as it was announced, I was still turned down by the company.

Not a particularly pleasant experience. Anyway, I’ve decided to purchase an alternative.

So it goes.
I think they were in over their heads. At this point they should be scrambling to try and get you back in at the very least even if you'll for sure turn them down.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2020, 04:58 PM   #21
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I think they were in over their heads. At this point they should be scrambling to try and get you back in at the very least even if you'll for sure turn them down.
The definitive “no” was a few weeks ago.
Old 11 September 2020, 05:18 PM   #22
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So it goes.
Wow. Which boutique was this?
Old 11 September 2020, 05:41 PM   #23
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It's not because it's super duper popular, though.

It's because Lange is artificially keeping SS production down. They're not an SS company. They're a PM company. I believe they planned to keep it under 200/yr.
Yes, I suspect that as well. They are definitely trying to keep SS as a limited (special) part of their collection. Otherwise, they would have made the SS Odysseus more widely available by know and probably also offered a strap version in steel.
Old 11 September 2020, 05:44 PM   #24
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
is it still boutique only? i quite like it but was told it would be a wait
Yes, for now that is the case. I think the original plan at launch was that other ADs would eventually also get it. However, I suspect this might have changed so that this will only apply to the WG version(s) once supply catch up with demand for these, but only Lange knows.
Old 11 September 2020, 05:45 PM   #25
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
To me, your 5164, 5712 and 1815 chrono are amazing and the very best in their category. The Odysseus is not in the same league to me. I tried it on, and was disappointed. The blue dial didn’t have the quality feeling I expect from Lange. Fairly dull and plasticky looking...
Thanks for your perspective. I agree that it is hard to compete with the watches in the above trio which I absolutely love. However, I do quite like the blue Odysseus dial. It looks much better in natural light than in the artificial light present in most watch boutiques.
Old 11 September 2020, 05:47 PM   #26
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdate View Post
I think it is a relationship piece (well at least for the next year or two at least). I was told mid to end 2021 if I was lucky.

I quite liked it in person. A lot more than I did on paper. That Lange finishing is just something different. Taking everything into account though, the VC overseas is where I ended up. Extremely satisfied with the choice.

I think the option of the rubber strap on the steel will be what makes it desirable (or mainstream I guess) especially given that price tag.
Yes, I understand that even if approved in the application process there will be quite a wait before Lange can deliver one.

Which Overseas did you end up getting?
Old 11 September 2020, 05:48 PM   #27
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
I think you guys all need to handle this watch. In pictures, it looks like crap IMO. In your hand, it's the BEST constructed watch in its class. I mean that. It crushes the 5711 and 15500.

Never thought I'd actually say that, but I've had/had them all.
This is part of what also attract me to the Odysseus.
Old 11 September 2020, 05:49 PM   #28
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So it goes.
That is interesting, did you have purchase history with a Lange Boutique or a "normal" AD?
Old 11 September 2020, 06:07 PM   #29
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
That is interesting, did you have purchase history with a Lange Boutique or a "normal" AD?
Not with the boutique, but the boutique is run by the AD from which I purchased. From what I understand, however, the decisions of approval and allocation emanate exclusively from Glashütte.

I would be lying if I said it hasn't tarnished somewhat my affection for the company, and even the Lange I already own.

Last edited by mongrelnomoad; 11 September 2020 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11 September 2020, 06:33 PM   #30
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Having owned the piece for a couple of months I would have to say it’s a triumph. I love the quality of the piece (as others have said), I love that it is clearly a Lange, I love the clarity of the dial and I also love the day date arrangement. I am someone who likes changing straps on my PM pieces so having the option on a sports piece to also change it up is great (I have also heard the rumours that this is only the first 200 pieces).

What’s not to like really about the piece, even the bracelet which I have to say does divide people means you always stand out from the crowd of other sports pieces - it is wide but it very much works and the comfort is absolutely second to none, the adjust system is the blueprint that all watches need to follow.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote