The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2020, 08:13 AM   #1
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
How to get a jubilee for your 16710

Let me start by way of a little background. So some months ago I saw several posts from folks that had both bracelets and all three inserts for their 16710. This inspired me to start my own hunt. After looking for inserts and bracelets on Ebay and Chrono 24 and TRF, I was a little discouraged by the prices. I mean $2250 or more for a Jubilee and $300 for an insert seemed outrageous to me. My next stop was my friendly AD. They sold me the inserts for $100 each, not cheap but definitely cheaper. Then I asked them to order a Jubilee bracelet. That's when things got weird. The Rolex parts system would let them order a Oyster bracelet but not a Jubilee. Thinking it was a glitch in their system I went to another AD and the computer told them the same thing. When my AD service manager called The Rolex Service center they told her the Jubilee bracelets were no longer available. However, when I called Dallas directly they said they could sell me a Jubilee with a service. Since I purchased my 16710 pre-owned without a service history or papers, I figured I might as well get a service and see if I could get the bracelet. So I sent my watch to Dallas in August and it just returned. Fully serviced, they returned my oyster bracelet, new bezel, new insert, and a Jubilee bracelet all for the cost of what a Jubilee cost on the secondary market. The entire process was pain free and the customer service at the Rolex center of Dallas was excellent. Start to finish was 8 weeks with overnight return FedEx shipping included. I am glad a took the chance and sent it in. My grand total was $2230 and I feel like I have a brand new watch. They did a great job and everything looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepsi1.jpg (242.1 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg pepsi2.jpg (293.0 KB, 1011 views)
File Type: jpg pepsi3.jpg (193.6 KB, 1005 views)
File Type: jpg package.jpg (273.8 KB, 1004 views)
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:25 AM   #2
winst
"TRF" Member

Looking good!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks great

You have learned the lesson that Rolex is frequently cheaper to get your parts from than the secondary market.

Many folks just want to click their mouse from the comfort of their home, but they will pay dearly for that.
Old 31 October 2020, 08:39 AM   #4
dukie748
"TRF" Member

As Borat would say - Very Nice!
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Wowawewa.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

There's been a lot of talk recently about rolex not providing parts through the ad network and other comments about service centres not returning old parts when fitting new. Makes you wonder whether different regions around the world operate under different rules or if there's a lot of rubbish being spoken. Interesting experience you had nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Hulatime
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing this! Your watch looks awesome on that Jubilee. I need to send mine in for the same treatment!
Hulatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:03 AM   #8
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

You have to be persistent about what you want. I think maybe Rolex stopped providing them to the AD network to keep people from flipping them. That may be why they were ok with selling me one as part of a service where they could verify the watch. Both AD's showed me their computers and it clearly blocked them from ordering. In terms of old parts, the standard policy is that new parts are provided on a one for one exchange basis. They kept my old bezel and insert. I was afraid they would also keep my oyster bracelet. When I spoke to customer service about wanting to retain it and purchase the the jubilee I was told it would require the service manager to approve the exception to policy. I was very polite about it but I requested the exception. They agreed to return the oyster on the condition that they would not refinish it. It was a weird compromise but I figured it was worth it because I could get the oyster refinished at the AD or just about any local watchmaker. Kind of annoying that they would not refinish the oyster and sell me a jubilee since I paid full price for it but I figure it was a minor compromise to get what I wanted.
Old 31 October 2020, 10:06 AM   #9
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno007 View Post
Let me start by way of a little background.

So some months ago I saw several posts from folks that had both bracelets and all three inserts for their 16710. This inspired me to start my own hunt. After looking for inserts and bracelets on Ebay and Chrono 24 and TRF, I was a little discouraged by the prices. I mean $2250 or more for a Jubilee and $300 for an insert seemed outrageous to me.

My next stop was my friendly AD. They sold me the inserts for $100 each, not cheap but definitely cheaper. Then I asked them to order a Jubilee bracelet. That's when things got weird.

The Rolex parts system would let them order a Oyster bracelet but not a Jubilee. Thinking it was a glitch in their system I went to another AD and the computer told them the same thing. When my AD service manager called The Rolex Service center they told her the Jubilee bracelets were no longer available. However, when I called Dallas directly they said they could sell me a Jubilee with a service.

Since I purchased my 16710 pre-owned without a service history or papers, I figured I might as well get a service and see if I could get the bracelet. So I sent my watch to Dallas in August and it just returned. Fully serviced, they returned my oyster bracelet, new bezel, new insert, and a Jubilee bracelet all for the cost of what a Jubilee cost on the secondary market.

The entire process was pain free and the customer service at the Rolex center of Dallas was excellent. Start to finish was 8 weeks with overnight return FedEx shipping included. I am glad a took the chance and sent it in.

My grand total was $2230 and I feel like I have a brand new watch. They did a great job and everything looks great.
To help save our eyes

By the way did you get a polish with the service, or opt out?
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

I did get the case "refinished" as they call it. They would not polish the oyster, and the Jubilee is brand new.
Old 31 October 2020, 10:10 AM   #11
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did get the case "refinished" as they call it.
Forgot to ask if the replacement bracelet has the ceramic pins and the like as per the ‘super jubilee’ so they don’t stretch?
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Forgot to ask if the replacement bracelet has the ceramic pins and the like as per the ‘super jubilee’ so they don’t stretch?
I really have no idea if it has ceramic pins. It is the model 62510H marked 50 with the 502T end links that can be fitted to 5 and 6 digit models. Frakis sells the same one on TRF for $2500.
Old 31 October 2020, 12:05 PM   #13
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Does the new one have ceramic sleeves....i thought it was just the president
Old 31 October 2020, 12:22 PM   #14
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:23 PM   #15
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
That’s almost the exact story with me. When I got my 16710 I also wanted a jubilee. I contacted my AD’s and they reached out to their reps only to tell me they couldn’t order. I then actually called RSC NY and they said they could not sell me one. Then I called RSC Dallas and they told me they could sell me one but would need the watch to be serviced also at their center. The cost they quoted me I think was $1200. I ended up buying a brand new one still with stickers from a TRF member. It was definitely more expensive but I had it within days and I didn’t have to send my watch anywhere or stress about losing my oyster. Overall I was happy with the jubilee and what I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 October 2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Let me start by way of a little background. So some months ago I saw several posts from folks that had both bracelets and all three inserts for their 16710. This inspired me to start my own hunt. After looking for inserts and bracelets on Ebay and Chrono 24 and TRF, I was a little discouraged by the prices. I mean $2250 or more for a Jubilee and $300 for an insert seemed outrageous to me. My next stop was my friendly AD. They sold me the inserts for $100 each, not cheap but definitely cheaper. Then I asked them to order a Jubilee bracelet. That's when things got weird. The Rolex parts system would let them order a Oyster bracelet but not a Jubilee. Thinking it was a glitch in their system I went to another AD and the computer told them the same thing. When my AD service manager called The Rolex Service center they told her the Jubilee bracelets were no longer available. However, when I called Dallas directly they said they could sell me a Jubilee with a service. Since I purchased my 16710 pre-owned without a service history or papers, I figured I might as well get a service and see if I could get the bracelet. So I sent my watch to Dallas in August and it just returned. Fully serviced, they returned my oyster bracelet, new bezel, new insert, and a Jubilee bracelet all for the cost of what a Jubilee cost on the secondary market. The entire process was pain free and the customer service at the Rolex center of Dallas was excellent. Start to finish was 8 weeks with overnight return FedEx shipping included. I am glad a took the chance and sent it in. My grand total was $2230 and I feel like I have a brand new watch. They did a great job and everything looks great.

I’m not sure if I read correctly did you replace the insert just because it was worn or did you replace a black or coke with the Pepsi

Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 01:55 PM   #17
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I really have no idea if it has ceramic pins. It is the model 62510H marked 50 with the 502T end links that can be fitted to 5 and 6 digit models. Frakis sells the same one on TRF for $2500.
Thanks for the advertisement. I can get any bracelet still made by Rolex new with stickers. Anybody looking - send me a message
Old 31 October 2020, 01:58 PM   #18
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
I’m not sure if I read correctly did you replace the insert just because it was worn or did you replace a black or coke with the Pepsi

I sent it in with the insert that came with the watch when I purchased it. It was a worn coke and I am not sure if it was original or aftermarket. I was able to source a new coke and black from the AD for $100 each and since I was sending it in for service I replaced the old coke insert for a new pepsi. With the service new inserts are only $40. So it was a no brainer for me.
Old 31 October 2020, 02:03 PM   #19
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I sent it in with the insert that came with the watch when I purchased it. It was a worn coke and I am not sure if it was original or aftermarket. I was able to source a new coke and black from the AD for $100 each and since I was sending it in for service I replaced the old coke insert for a new pepsi. With the service new inserts are only $40. So it was a no brainer for me.
Faded 16710 inserts in good condition are sold at a premium. Much more than $40. You would have been better off keeping the faded Coke insert and spending another $100 for a new Pepsi. YMMV.
Old 31 October 2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've got the inserts, now patiently looking for a jubilee for my 16710. I missed out on two recently, both just under 1500. Got to be quick to pull the trigger if you want to buy right. I'm visiting my AD next week who is a WIS as well and still has his personal 62510H stashed NIB with the original price sticker of 1250. He's been saying he's going to put it on his 1675 for awhile now. Since I bought my 16710 from him a year ago I mentioned my interest for one. I'm hoping he may give me a shot at it. I'm sure it's worth more than that but I'd pay a premium over anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 06:11 PM   #21
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
OP, congrats on this beautiful watch, it is great that you managed to get the full set, makes it super versatile.

I also own a 16710 with a Pepsi bezel which starts to fade. I managed to get a Coke bezel insert from my AD for peanuts compared to what is being sold on Ebay.

Got the black one through Ebay.

Since I wouldn't like to replace my faded pepsi insert when I will be sending it for a service I will remove the insert, declaring it lost and will request new insert.

Re. the jubilee - I believe through the AD you could have ordered a jubilee for a DJ, the endlinks will also fit 16710. There are many threads on that.

I am also thinking about getting the jubilee it will be either through AD (ordering jubilee for a DJ) or I will get buy a nice vintage DJ to enjoy which will provide opportunity to put its bracelet on the 16710.
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:55 AM   #22
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! It looks great!

I wanted to do a similar thing to my 16710, except with a 63600 Super Jubilee rather than a 65210H Jubilee (just personal preference). I placed the order for the 63600 with my AD in April 2019, after they confirmed Rolex would allow them to order this. The bracelet finally arrived about a year later. I wasn't in a rush, and I knew these were on backorder from Rolex. I'm very happy with the result, and I didn't mind waiting and keeping it on the Oyster bracelet in the interim.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 03:37 AM   #23
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
Faded 16710 inserts in good condition are sold at a premium. Much more than $40. You would have been better off keeping the faded Coke insert and spending another $100 for a new Pepsi. YMMV.
I agree authentic ones are worth keeping but based on the insert guide by Springer here on TRF, I had a strong suspicion that it was aftermarket. It seemed to have the hooked 2 font. So I would rather get an authentic one in exchange for $40 than keep a worthless faded aftermarket insert.
Old 1 November 2020, 04:54 AM   #24
Snowbob
"TRF" Member

Watch: '99 16710
When I sent my 16710 for service last spring, I sent a nice email to the lady at the PA service center and asked for my old parts back. It cost a few bucks more, but they sent back my original insert, and original crystal, but wouldn't send back the crown.
Snowbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 05:08 AM   #25
cvera
"TRF" Member

Good to know, thanks for sharing
cvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 05:59 AM   #26
Arid
"TRF" Member

This also happened to me with my recent service except that I also had my oyster refinished. I only brought my watch in for a regular service but when I called to ask about progress after five weeks, I also inquired about getting a new jubilee bracelet. By that time, they’ve already completed the work. The downside being that I had to wait another 4 weeks for my bracelet.
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:01 AM   #27
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
I agree authentic ones are worth keeping but based on the insert guide by Springer here on TRF, I had a strong suspicion that it was aftermarket. It seemed to have the hooked 2 font. So I would rather get an authentic one in exchange for $40 than keep a worthless faded aftermarket insert.
Can you please share a link to the Springer guide on inserts, I can't find in on the TRF. Thanks!
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:21 AM   #28
Pballkm21
"TRF" Member

Great story and outcome.
Pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:29 AM   #29
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

That is shockingly great. Especially compared to how RSC has a reputation for being inflexible and unhelpful.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 11:51 AM   #30
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimoozaabi View Post
Can you please share a link to the Springer guide on inserts, I can't find in on the TRF. Thanks!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=439296 This is the post. If the link does not work it was posted by Springer in the vintage Rolex discussion dated 19 October 2015 and I found the information referenced towards the bottom of the thread.

Tags
16710 , pepsi gmt , pepsi insert , pepsi jubilee