The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 November 2020, 02:05 PM   #1
dcla
"TRF" Member

1601 jubilee stretch

I recently acquired a grail watch from a great dealer 18kt 1601 on jubilee. When I got it I noticed the jubilee was quite stretched and I am wondering if I just deal with it or return it back ( dealer is awesome and has agreed to take it back no strings). I have asked around at what a restoration would cost and when you get into needing to possible welding of some gold it gets prohibitively expensive. I guess what I am asking is it still reliable to hold together or is it a tragedy waiting to happen? I can’t see any real stress on the links but I haven’t taken it apart. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Nice
Old 4 November 2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Looks great, including the jubilee! Very, very comfortable. Leave it be.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 04:34 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Looks great, including the jubilee! Very, very comfortable. Leave it be.
Agree. That's not in bad condition, and Jubilees are much more comfortable with a little stretch. Leave as is and enjoy the vintage feel.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 07:48 PM   #5
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Not sure who you asked about rebuilding it but Rolliworks would be my go to if you wanted to rebuild it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Every one of these bracelets is over 50 years old and no Chinese pins

It never ceases to amaze me that guys who natter on about how original their Rolex is think nothing of sending a perfectly broken in jubilee to someone to have the Rolex pins replaced by Chinese (or whatever) .parts. Do these non-Rolex parts fit with the same tension of the originals or is "snug" good enough? But it will look all new and tight for a few months and that's all that matters right?

The vast majority of jubilee failures are caused by spring bar rusting out. If you get them wet they fill with water and that little spring begins to rust. If you swim daily they never have a chance to dry out. Change them yearly. Poorly adjusted clasps are the next largest culprit. Actual pin failures are very rare. Here's your assignment grasshopper; go forth and find confirmed pin failures on a folded or oval link jubilee.

Stop worrying about how "loose" your vintage jubilee is, it's supposed to look like that. Consider carefully filling vintage bracelets with aftermarket pins, is it really necessary? When they're gone, they're gone.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 10:40 PM   #7
dcla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that guys who natter on about how original their Rolex is think nothing of sending a perfectly broken in jubilee to someone to have the Rolex pins replaced by Chinese (or whatever) .parts. Do these non-Rolex parts fit with the same tension of the originals or is "snug" good enough? But it will look all new and tight for a few months and that's all that matters right?

The vast majority of jubilee failures are caused by spring bar rusting out. If you get them wet they fill with water and that little spring begins to rust. If you swim daily they never have a chance to dry out. Change them yearly. Poorly adjusted clasps are the next largest culprit. Actual pin failures are very rare. Here's your assignment grasshopper; go forth and find confirmed pin failures on a folded or oval link jubilee.

Stop worrying about how "loose" your vintage jubilee is, it's supposed to look like that. Consider carefully filling vintage bracelets with aftermarket pins, is it really necessary? When they're gone, they're gone.

Thanks all, and especially Richard Carver! I am not new to Rolex but very new to vintage and I tried mightily to find examples of jubilee’ breaking from any reason other than excessive abuse and couldn’t find any. I just needed to reach out to this fine community to put my mind at ease. I will keep it and wear it as God intended!
Old 4 November 2020, 10:48 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would have it refurbished, bit too much for my liking.
Old 5 November 2020, 10:35 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcla View Post
Thanks all, and especially Richard Carver!
#carverforpresident
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 11:18 AM   #10
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

OP, it would cost around $1500 to have that bracelet rebuilt since it is gold. If it were stainless then a rebuild job is about $250-300.
Old 5 November 2020, 11:30 AM   #11
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

OP, the watch looks beautiful. Congrats and enjoy it. Don't worry about the bracelet.
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 01:26 AM   #12
jihong
"TRF" Member

I disagree with most of these responses. It's your watch (if you keep it) and your wrist. If you want it to feel more snug and crisp, then get it repaired or return it. If your question is if it'll fall apart anytime soon, the answer is no. Is the jubliee bracelet meant to be like that? NO. People may like the vintage wear on these bracelets, but they're not meant to stretch and bend to a certain extent. Will it be expensive to repair? Is it worth it? That's up to you.

First decide what look and feel you really want on your wrist. Then decide if it's worth $1500+ to repair.
jihong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 05:19 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looking at a floppy bracelet doesn't tell the story.

You have to pull the links apart and determine if the wear on the pins is compromising it's integrity. If it is worn in half, it will fail with much less force than it normally would.

bracelet stretch.jpg
Old 6 November 2020, 05:37 AM   #14
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Rolliworks

Rolliworks, did wonders on mine and others here on the forum, send them pictures and they will advise you,
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 05:38 AM   #15
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Rolliworks, did wonders on mine and others here on the forum, send them pictures and they will advise you,

Definitely agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #16
Claven2
"TRF" Member

I dont consider that stretch bad enough to be a safety concern. If you want it tighter, fixing that bracelet will be far far cheaper than having it replaced.

You said it is a grail watch. That bracelet would be fine for me on a grail piece, I'd not give it a second thought if it were mine.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 12:06 PM   #17
dcla
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for speaking up. I am going to keep it and enjoy it. When the time comes I would most likely pay the freight to repair. I appreciate all of the input. BTW, and off topic, it’s running +2 sec/day.Amazing

Old 6 November 2020, 12:31 PM   #18
GWL2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln, 116710ln
Looks good to me. I would wear and enjoy

GWL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2020, 09:27 AM   #19
tropicaldial
"TRF" Member

Not to hijack thread, but is it possible to move a fixed jubilee link from the 6 oclock side to the 12 oclock side? I removed all removable links on a 16014 datejust jubilee since I have a small wrist, and now the clasp is off center.
tropicaldial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 06:10 AM   #20
MtlTom
"TRF" Member

I own a Datejust 1601 vintage 1971. I need to add 1 oval link to my USA made jubilee bracelet to make it more comfortable. Any suggestions / input ? I sent the watch to Rolex through our local AD but Rolex said that they can’t add a link ? Not sure what to do now. Thanks
MtlTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 06:31 AM   #21
Traveling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcla View Post
I recently acquired a grail watch from a great dealer 18kt 1601 on jubilee. When I got it I noticed the jubilee was quite stretched and I am wondering if I just deal with it or return it back ( dealer is awesome and has agreed to take it back no strings). I have asked around at what a restoration would cost and when you get into needing to possible welding of some gold it gets prohibitively expensive. I guess what I am asking is it still reliable to hold together or is it a tragedy waiting to happen? I can’t see any real stress on the links but I haven’t taken it apart. Any advice?
Have you considered taking /sending it to a RSC to see what they say and have it serviced?

When I received my grandfather's 1675/3 from my grandmother, the jubilee showed ALOT of stretch. Ultimately
had it serviced at BH RSC and it was for as a idle upon return!
Traveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2022, 06:46 AM   #22
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlTom View Post
I own a Datejust 1601 vintage 1971. I need to add 1 oval link to my USA made jubilee bracelet to make it more comfortable. Any suggestions / input ? I sent the watch to Rolex through our local AD but Rolex said that they can’t add a link ? Not sure what to do now. Thanks
What's a four letter word for auction site starting with "e" and ending with "y"?