The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 February 2021, 04:45 AM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Obtaining 15500ST as first AP

Just wondering how realistic it is to get a 15500ST (non-blue) as a first AP these days.

Just a summary of my efforts/timeline so far. I have been in talks with the NYC boutique on getting the 15500ST since Feb 2020. Established a good rapport with an associate there when I visited the boutique. At the time, he put my interest in for the grey dial. He told me there's a chance I could be allocated one by August. If nothing by August, then it would likely have to wait until 2021. Then we all know the pandemic took full effect, and I kind of forgot about it. AP also closed for a few months so don't think I missed out on much then. Fast forward to October 2020, I called to follow up, and expressed interest in the white/silver dial instead of the grey, for which he took note in the system. In December, I stopped by the boutique when I was in the area just to see how things were going, and to ask a little more about the white dial. No change in status then.

Last week, I called him to follow up and reaffirm my strong interest in the 15500ST silver dial. Mentioned I would be in the city the upcoming weekend, and he said to stop by to chat more. When I stopped by, he filled out my online profile in greater detail, which just includes things like my interest, why I like, AP, etc. His current estimate is about 6 months, but hopefully less. Mentioned that when I'm allocated a watch, the full amount would be due, and easiest is to do a wire transaction. All interactions thus far have been very positive sounding.

For those who have a lot of experience dealing with AP, does it sound like I can count on the 15500ST silver dial sometime in 2021?

Thanks in advance!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 06:07 AM   #2
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
It's a total crapshoot right now. You seem to be staying in touch with the boutique and the SA and have an ongoing dialogue. So, my take is you're playing the game as good as it can right now when demand far, far outstrips supply.

I'd keep checking in every 3 months and if I were to bet, you'll have a 15500 on your wrist by end of 2021.

Good Luck!
Old 1 February 2021, 07:14 AM   #3
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Use a credit card man, lot of reward points you miss out on with a wire!
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 12:48 PM   #4
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Rolex View Post
Use a credit card man, lot of reward points you miss out on with a wire!
Not allowed for your first purchase with AP Corp.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 01:09 PM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post

Huh? My first purchase in the boutique was with a credit card. In fact, AP sends invoices via email for deposits and purchases that you can use any major credit card to pay.
Old 1 February 2021, 01:24 PM   #6
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I forgot to mention, that my SA told me during one of the phone calls that if I pay by wire, then they can just charge me my state's sales tax vs the NYC one (if shipping). But if paying by credit card, they have to collect NYC tax. I may have misheard or misunderstood him since it was a pretty fast paced call at the time. Can anyone clarify this?
Old 1 February 2021, 01:28 PM   #7
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I forgot to mention, that my SA told me during one of the phone calls that if I pay by wire, then they can just charge me my state's sales tax vs the NYC one. But if paying by credit card, they have to collect NYC tax. I may have misheard or misunderstood him since it was a pretty fast paced call at the time. Can anyone clarify this?

You should be charged sales tax based on where you take delivery. So if you took it out of the boutique, it’s NYC sales tax. If it’s shipped, I believe it’s based off of Billing Address.
Old 1 February 2021, 01:40 PM   #8
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Huh? My first purchase in the boutique was with a credit card. In fact, AP sends invoices via email for deposits and purchases that you can use any major credit card to pay.
I should have clarified. If it’s not an in person purchase and they are shipping the watch to your address, the first purchase has to be done by wire.

So the first purchase I made with AP Corp was wire and the second was eligible for credit card via the form your described by email. I have not been asked for a deposit on any purchases so far.
Old 1 February 2021, 01:41 PM   #9
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I should have clarified. If it’s not an in person purchase and they are shipping the watch to your address, the first purchase has to be done by wire.

So the first purchase I made with AP Corp was wire and the second was eligible for credit card via the form your described by email. I have not been asked for a deposit on any purchases so far.

Ah makes sense! Thank you for clarifying...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 February 2021, 01:51 PM   #10
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah makes sense! Thank you for clarifying...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No worries! I just assumed the OP was out of state based on his initial statement about payment by wire :)

OP, I think you have a good shot getting a 15500 this year. I would just follow up every 3 months until you have it. I purchased 2 pieces (15500 for myself and 15450 for my wife) in 2020 and got both within 6 months. I definitely noticed AP seems to give some preference if you are purchasing several pieces so if you have a significant other who has expressed interest in AP or if you have plans to acquire other references personally, I would definitely let your SA know that you aren’t a one and done client. That may help move things along.

Just be aware you could be in a situation where you are purchasing several pieces back-to-back ;)
Old 1 February 2021, 02:37 PM   #11
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for the further feedback!

My wife actually does like the 34mm RO automatic. But she got a piece a couple months ago and also an H bag, so we aren't in a position to get 2 AP watches together. But I'll definitely mention to the SA that we may potentially be interested in an AP for her in the future!
Old 1 February 2021, 02:52 PM   #12
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

It's very realistic, don't despair.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 01:13 AM   #13
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
It's very realistic, don't despair.
This gives us all a glimmer of hope.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 07:39 AM   #14
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:

Yeah, that is not unheard of with high-end purchases at any store. The first time I bought from my AD (not an AP boutique) they were reluctant to let me use my CC (I was shipping it), but they ended up making an "exception."
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 08:30 AM   #15
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
I don't blame you, the silver is the best option (if blue is not avaliable :))
it does help if you are able to convy to them that you are a serious watch collector and not some random dealer who will flip thier watch as soon as he leavs the boutique. visiting with different high end watches could carry accross that idea.

Old 2 February 2021, 10:27 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

good for you and I wish you nothing but success. but may I say how absolutely tired I am of this game with ADs. still into watches and AP and PP but not into playing these games...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 10:49 AM   #17
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

I think it might be possible given that you've visited the boutique several times in person. Just be patient with it - you will appreciate and enjoy the watch a lot more once you get it. Just don't flip it... LOL... but you know that...

Quote:
Just wondering how realistic it is to get a 15500ST (non-blue) as a first AP these days.

Just a summary of my efforts/timeline so far. I have been in talks with the NYC boutique on getting the 15500ST since Feb 2020. Established a good rapport with an associate there when I visited the boutique. At the time, he put my interest in for the grey dial. He told me there's a chance I could be allocated one by August. If nothing by August, then it would likely have to wait until 2021. Then we all know the pandemic took full effect, and I kind of forgot about it. AP also closed for a few months so don't think I missed out on much then. Fast forward to October 2020, I called to follow up, and expressed interest in the white/silver dial instead of the grey, for which he took note in the system. In December, I stopped by the boutique when I was in the area just to see how things were going, and to ask a little more about the white dial. No change in status then.

Last week, I called him to follow up and reaffirm my strong interest in the 15500ST silver dial. Mentioned I would be in the city the upcoming weekend, and he said to stop by to chat more. When I stopped by, he filled out my online profile in greater detail, which just includes things like my interest, why I like, AP, etc. His current estimate is about 6 months, but hopefully less. Mentioned that when I'm allocated a watch, the full amount would be due, and easiest is to do a wire transaction. All interactions thus far have been very positive sounding.

For those who have a lot of experience dealing with AP, does it sound like I can count on the 15500ST silver dial sometime in 2021?

Thanks in advance!
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 10:51 AM   #18
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's a total crapshoot right now. You seem to be staying in touch with the boutique and the SA and have an ongoing dialogue. So, my take is you're playing the game as good as it can right now when demand far, far outstrips supply.

I'd keep checking in every 3 months and if I were to bet, you'll have a 15500 on your wrist by end of 2021.

Good Luck!
agreed it seems hit or miss with 15500s...i had no luck trying to get even a 15450 silver from the nyc boutique before the pandemic hit so i just ate the premium and went grey before the very first of the price increases so i guess it worked out well anyway lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 11:35 PM   #19
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Based on my recent experience, it's possible to get a silver 15500 as your first AP. I went into the Manhasset NY boutique at the end of July 2020; introduced myself; shared that I am a "watch enthusiast" (spoke about my interest in watches, membership on watch fora, my current collection, and long-standing interest in a silver dialed Royal Oak); and confirmed that I am not a flipper. I also emailed my SA twice over the next four months to check in and reaffirm my interest. I got the call to pick up my new silver 15500 in December—just over fourth months after my first venture into an AP boutique.
Old 3 February 2021, 03:34 AM   #20
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely.

Be sure to visit the boutique in person and express your interest and make an introduction. Get to know your SA and they'll feel comfortable once they see you're not a flipper.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 01:10 PM   #21
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Happened to me, it’s very possible. Good luck!
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 02:56 AM   #22
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for some further encouraging info. He did ask if I have other watches, to which I replied "just Rolex". When asked "why AP", I said I have liked them ever since I saw my uncle's Royal Oak over 20 years ago, and have aspired to own one since, and decided now is the time to do so, though I wish I did earlier. So hopefully I did not give off the flipper vibe, which I definitely am not.

I'll give him a call in March/April, and hopefully try to stop by in person to express continued interest. Also will inquire then about women's pieces as a possibility for my wife in the future.
Old 6 February 2021, 03:17 AM   #23
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Its possible, my friend got a white dial as his first AP believe he waited only 4/5 months.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2021, 04:15 AM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All my three purchases at AP owned boutique were by CC (but outside of US).
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2021, 04:36 AM   #25
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was told the same thing and am in the near identical position.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2021, 09:13 PM   #26
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorD View Post
I was told the same thing and am in the near identical position.
I take it you're not buying your piece from the NYC 57th St or Bal Harbor corporate owned boutique?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2021, 09:59 PM   #27
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
I take it you're not buying your piece from the NYC 57th St or Bal Harbor corporate owned boutique?
No, that is where I’m trying to get from. I expressed interest last year and explained that based on my location, I wasn’t able to travel to meet them in person. I’ve had a few conversations and logged in their system (which I just says feels a bit more legitimate than a Rolex AD’s “list”). I think/hope from my conversations they recognize I’m not looking to flip the watch, but I still suspect it’ll be a fair amount of time.

Separately, since I got into their system a boutique opened in Boston a few months later which is closer to me, so I’ve tried to get on their radar as well in the event an in person purchase is required.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 10:02 PM   #28
spryken
"TRF" Member

You are on the right track to be a new owner of AP.

All the best
spryken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 08:54 AM   #29
snowvapor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
Quote:
I did not know that as well, thanks for the heads up. Any reason why ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
snowvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 09:17 AM   #30
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvapor View Post
I did not know that as well, thanks for the heads up. Any reason why ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Fraud protection I guess
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote