The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2021, 02:16 AM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

AP Ceramic Colours

Something that I learned yesterday is that AP’s ceramic colours aren’t all ‘equal’ when it comes to production and finishing. Some colours are harder to produce and to finish than others.

For example, white ceramic is by far the hardest colour to work with and that’s why we don’t see the ceramic diver or 44mm ROO variants anymore...such a shame.

So, to the layman like me, I’d have assumed that green, blue, black etc were all the same other than a pigment that was added during the production process, but apparently not. Each colour has its own unique challenges as to ‘finishing’.

This is nothing more than an FYI, but it’s something that I’d ‘heard’ on the grapevine for quite a while, but never really believed it, but it’s actually correct.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 02:42 AM   #2
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Yeah, that was really interesting, and surprising. Luckily, I’m nowhere near bold (cool) enough to wear a white watch!!

The blue ceramic bezel looked stunning, so much better than in pictures I’ve seen. Really bright and a fun look.

The Offshore is an interesting watch. In black with gold accents it’s looks business, in white and gold it looks cash, and then in brighter colours (case or strap) it’s just fun.

Sorry, I digress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 02:46 AM   #3
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’d heard it a couple of years back with another brand where they were struggling with some ceramic colours on a couple of different watches, but didn’t know if it was just hype or myth I guess, so it didn’t totally surprise me yesterday, but like you I always thought it would be fairly similar with different colours. Learning curve all the time :-)
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 02:53 AM   #4
Reign
"TRF" Member

I didn’t want to jump in yesterday but I’ll put it here - black ceramic is 7x harder than SS and white ceramic is 10x harder than SS.

AP produce watches under extreme tolerances so I can see how a full ceramic watch would take so long and why 3x harder would make a big difference. The hardest part for the ceramic QPs continue to be the bracelet links given the various angles and size
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 03:05 AM   #5
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
I didn’t want to jump in yesterday but I’ll put it here - black ceramic is 7x harder than SS and white ceramic is 10x harder than SS.

AP produce watches under extreme tolerances so I can see how a full ceramic watch would take so long and why 3x harder would make a big difference. The hardest part for the ceramic QPs continue to be the bracelet links given the various angles and size
Again, my logic would have grouped all ceramic to be approximately the same, but 7x to 10x isn’t a small difference, so no wonder white is very scarce in AP’s line up. More kudos to AP for the WOW job they did on the white QP, and more so given that it is/was priced the same as the black.

As I said, just interesting snippets to have verified by AP, rather than just hearsay.

Vince, I agree, you aren’t cool enough for a white watch :) so you aren’t missing anything.
Old 20 February 2021, 09:58 AM   #6
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

The blue ceramic bezel looked stunning, so much better than in pictures I’ve seen. Really bright and a fun look.

If you like blue ceramic, I think you might really like something that’s coming soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2021, 10:16 AM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
If you like blue ceramic, I think you might really like something that’s coming soon

Tease!!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 20 February 2021, 05:13 PM   #8
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Again, my logic would have grouped all ceramic to be approximately the same, but 7x to 10x isn’t a small difference, so no wonder white is very scarce in AP’s line up. More kudos to AP for the WOW job they did on the white QP, and more so given that it is/was priced the same as the black.

As I said, just interesting snippets to have verified by AP, rather than just hearsay.

Vince, I agree, you aren’t cool enough for a white watch :) so you aren’t missing anything.

I’ve previously tried on the white ceramic and it’s a very intense white, it’s louder than gold.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 05:44 PM   #9
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol!! Talk about goading someone into something!!

Old 21 February 2021, 01:27 AM   #10
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I’ve previously tried on the white ceramic and it’s a very intense white, it’s louder than gold.

I agree the white is LOUD. I saw it in the flesh and it's not for me...but it's a stunning piece of craftsmanship and if you can rock it, I say do so!
Old 21 February 2021, 02:41 AM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I feel hard to do white after Chanel laid claim first to white ceramic case and bracelet!

There is a part of me though that wonders what sapphire case and open worked would look like for RO though even though I think GP got there first.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 03:34 AM   #12
watchyouc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post

Oh wow. Very excited!
watchyouc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 04:30 AM   #13
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouc View Post
Oh wow. Very excited!
I am too, but equally I hope it’s not over done.
Old 21 February 2021, 05:33 AM   #14
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Going to really depend on the shade, especially that particular reference.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 05:33 AM   #15
watchyouc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. As much as I love my Blue Camo Offshore, the recent full ceramic blue Offshore just didn’t do it for me!
watchyouc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 05:39 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouc View Post
Agreed. As much as I love my Blue Camo Offshore, the recent full ceramic blue Offshore just didn’t do it for me!
The new blue ROO was at least a black ceramic case, if it had been the same blue as the bezel it would have been pretty loud.

I think the speculation is with regards to a full ceramic RO, case and bracelet, akin to the white and black versions of the QP etc. If so then I trust AP to not create a FUBAR, but Hublot have made some shockers...I live in fear and in anxiety...
Old 21 February 2021, 06:26 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new blue ROO was at least a black ceramic case, if it had been the same blue as the bezel it would have been pretty loud.

I think the speculation is with regards to a full ceramic RO, case and bracelet, akin to the white and black versions of the QP etc. If so then I trust AP to not create a FUBAR, but Hublot have made some shockers...I live in fear and in anxiety...
Omg ROO in full CE plus CE bracelet ?!?! That would be insane... let’s not spoil this amazing thought by thinking about Hublot
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 08:01 AM   #18
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Omg ROO in full CE plus CE bracelet ?!?! That would be insane... let’s not spoil this amazing thought by thinking about Hublot
Alas you misread my post, RO not ROO. I can’t imagine in my wildest dreams/nightmares that AP would ever be so nuts as to make a full CE ROO.
Old 21 February 2021, 12:41 PM   #19
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alas you misread my post, RO not ROO. I can’t imagine in my wildest dreams/nightmares that AP would ever be so nuts as to make a full CE ROO.
Oh I guess I did... but I have to say “the beast” in all CE would be awesome no ? So you are saying just a regular 15500 in CE ?
Old 21 February 2021, 07:54 PM   #20
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Oh I guess I did... but I have to say “the beast” in all CE would be awesome no ? So you are saying just a regular 15500 in CE ?
I’m not saying anything. I’m just being a typical TRFer and propagating unsubstantiated rumours, just so that we have something to talk about.

But, a full CE RO blue model of some sort is the rumour we are trying to start :)
Old 21 February 2021, 07:59 PM   #21
A971
"TRF" Member

The white QP is the coolest watch I’ve ever seen in person. Interesting to know the white ceramic is that much stronger as well

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 08:29 PM   #22
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
The white QP is the coolest watch I’ve ever seen in person. Interesting to know the white ceramic is that much stronger as well

I thought so too, but only as part of a collection. To wear it everyday in all situations would take a personality far larger than mine, and I’m not shy. But, for summer it would be WOW.

As with shotguns, a matched pair, one white and one black might be the answer...
Old 21 February 2021, 08:35 PM   #23
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought so too, but only as part of a collection. To wear it everyday in all situations would take a personality far larger than mine, and I’m not shy. But, for summer it would be WOW.

As with shotguns, a matched pair, one white and one black might be the answer...

Lol - can just imagine you standing there with white and black ceramic Oaks and a couple of Purdeys!! James Purdey will be turning in his grave!!

Old 21 February 2021, 08:37 PM   #24
Token74
"TRF" Member

I shall wait for my steel coloured ceramic 39mm Royal Oak!

Old 21 February 2021, 08:37 PM   #25
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Lol - can just imagine you standing there with white and black ceramic Oaks and a couple of Purdeys!! James Purdey will be turning in his grave!!

......wearing an AP branded muscle vest.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 08:42 PM   #26
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I shall wait for my steel coloured ceramic 39mm Royal Oak!

When you mentioned that I thought you were spot on, and I’d just seen a few days beforehand that Hublot had made a light greyish ceramic bracelet model that looked a lot like steel. So, if AP does ever make a steel coloured full CE model then that would be perfect.
Old 21 February 2021, 08:44 PM   #27
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That would be a ‘unique piece’ AP accessory that I bet conkers doesn’t even have.
Old 21 February 2021, 09:02 PM   #28
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:

#obvs

Old 22 February 2021, 02:56 AM   #29
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not saying anything. I’m just being a typical TRFer and propagating unsubstantiated rumours, just so that we have something to talk about.

But, a full CE RO blue model of some sort is the rumour we are trying to start :)
Got it