The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2021, 06:24 AM   #1
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Thoughts on the 5055g?

The Nautilus brought me to the world of Patek. I quickly realized if I want to stay, i need to pivot. What are everyone's thoughts on the 5055g?

I like that it is PM, has useful complications, and is a casual wearing watch that could work with a variety of straps.

It has the same movement as the 5712, but when the 5055g was in production did the caliber have any known issues?

What's everyone's thoughts on this piece?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5055g.JPG (22.4 KB, 249 views)
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 07:22 AM   #2
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
actully true patek philippe DNA is elegant dress watches on leather strap.
the model you slected is beautiful but not very common.
any ideas of your range?
the reason i'm asking is because there might be other options near your price point
Old 21 February 2021, 10:50 AM   #3
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
actully true patek philippe DNA is elegant dress watches on leather strap.
the model you slected is beautiful but not very common.
any ideas of your range?
the reason i'm asking is because there might be other options near your price point
Great question. Ideally in the $20-$22K USD range. Maybe as high as $25K USD. So certainly pre-owned at this stage in my life. Would love to hear more suggestions. Thanks for all the help!
Old 21 February 2021, 10:56 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Close but not quite?
There is awkwardness to it.

But I feel that way about a lot of fashion and art that ultimately finds success.

I would look at 5140 or 3940 perpetual calendar.
Ultimate patek complication. 240 micro rotor movement and pure timelessness.

Cost you a bit more but will be a lot more watch. imho they are had at bargain prices compared to the sports watch options.

If worn as a daily, the calendar won’t need a reset in your lifetime. (Year 2100 would require adjustment forward by a day.)
Old 22 February 2021, 04:45 AM   #5
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Close but not quite?
There is awkwardness to it.

But I feel that way about a lot of fashion and art that ultimately finds success.

I would look at 5140 or 3940 perpetual calendar.
Ultimate patek complication. 240 micro rotor movement and pure timelessness.

Cost you a bit more but will be a lot more watch. imho they are had at bargain prices compared to the sports watch options.

If worn as a daily, the calendar won’t need a reset in your lifetime. (Year 2100 would require adjustment forward by a day.)
Ok so I looked up those references and it's starting to get interesting. Save up for a few more years and pre-owned grand complications open up.

Both very similar, price would most likely determine. But then going down that rabbit hole i discovered the 5038 and the 5139.

Any thoughts on these 2?

(images courtesy of chrono24)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5139.JPG (30.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 5038.JPG (37.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 22 February 2021, 06:56 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
Ok so I looked up those references and it's starting to get interesting. Save up for a few more years and pre-owned grand complications open up.

Both very similar, price would most likely determine. But then going down that rabbit hole i discovered the 5038 and the 5139.

Any thoughts on these 2?

Of the two I prefer the 5038 but I would much rather go 3940 which is a classic that will always be loved. The 5055 doesn't look good in my eyes.

If I was you I'd likely try to stay within budget rather than save up for years. Loads of preowned Calatravas are within reach including the manual wind 5096 and 5196, the bread and butter automatic 3998, 5107, 5127, 5296, and the 240 microrotor powered 5000, 5032, 6000, and possibly even a 5110 worldtimer.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 07:05 AM   #7
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Great question. Ideally in the $20-$22K USD range. Maybe as high as $25K USD. So certainly pre-owned at this stage in my life. Would love to hear more suggestions. Thanks for all the help!
in $25k you are in range for a 5296 (i love the sector dial), or maybe a 5196P with the breguet numerals. if you like the gondolo shape you might find annual calendars at that price range too
Old 22 February 2021, 07:49 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Any thoughts on these 2?

Much better. Honest opinion is the hobnail bezel isn’t my favorite on these references. It’s all about finding the right balance Of case hands dial and markers

Of the two I find the one on the left much more refined.

Regarding prices of the two I recommended I have found them to vary substantially. Take your time and you may be able to get one of the classics sooner than you expect.

FYI personally I have a 5940G black dial. Though it’s cushion case is not for everyone, I find it incredibly satisfying much like the design and refinement of a Porsche 911. This model retailed close to 90k and can be commonly found at ~45k give or take.

Overall I think you have jumped levels in finding a great patek
Old 22 February 2021, 10:29 AM   #9
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!

I really do like the 3940 a lot too. I think it really exemplifies Patek. There is something about odd details not quite on their equity that really intrigue me. Welded lugs, hobnailed bezels. Roman numeral markers, etc.

Azizu, at first i was really looking hard at the Calatrava line as my first and then i thought i could do more. I really like the 5196 with the Arabic numerals. I think it could be worn casual or dressed up. that is a great recommendation.

Subtona, any chance i could get a pic of the 5940g on the wrist? I saw that reference while I was researching more and i actually like cushion cases a lot, but... in my opinion that shape wears larger on the wrist than a typical round case. My wrist is 7 1/8 inches and i feel that it might not quite be large enough to pull off the 5940 well. If given the choice, i'll always chose a smaller case. I really like the 34-36mm size for dress watches on my wrist, some 38mm too.

Can't thank all of you enough. Really appreciate the input.
Old 22 February 2021, 10:35 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I really do like the 3940 a lot too. I think it really exemplifies Patek. There is something about odd details not quite on their equity that really intrigue me. Welded lugs, hobnailed bezels. Roman numeral markers, etc.

Azizu, at first i was really looking hard at the Calatrava line as my first and then i thought i could do more. I really like the 5196 with the Arabic numerals. I think it could be worn casual or dressed up. that is a great recommendation.

Subtona, any chance i could get a pic of the 5940g on the wrist? I saw that reference while I was researching more and i actually like cushion cases a lot, but... in my opinion that shape wears larger on the wrist than a typical round case. My wrist is 7 1/8 inches and i feel that it might not quite be large enough to pull off the 5940 well. If given the choice, i'll always chose a smaller case. I really like the 34-36mm size for dress watches on my wrist, some 38mm too.

Can't thank all of you enough. Really appreciate the input.
Wears bigger than it measures.
Old 22 February 2021, 11:50 AM   #11
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Subtona, what is your opinion of the 5040? Very similar aesthetically to the 5940.