The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 March 2021, 08:34 PM   #1
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
5205g Blue Dial?

Am on the hunt for a moonphase and this caught my eye.

Any owners on this forum? What are your thoughts?

I've never owned a PP before and think this would round up my collection nicely.

Not sure if i shld get it new under my name or grey under someone elses name.
Old 11 March 2021, 05:53 AM   #2
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Not an owner (yet) but I have tried it on before. Outstanding watch and very, very hard to beat at its price point.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 06:46 AM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The watch is nice. But the strap is a total let down.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 06:52 AM   #4
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Great collection Goh

I too like the 5205 though I prefer the rose gold with white dial. I'm sure there are several here who can share more insight. Happy hunting
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Steed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
It’s a beautiful watch but I agree with you on the standard strap. When I bought mine I upgraded to the matte black alligator strap with white gold deployment clasp and felt this was a better match for the stunning dial.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 09:50 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
It’s a beautiful watch but I agree with you on the standard strap. When I bought mine I upgraded to the matte black alligator strap with white gold deployment clasp and felt this was a better match for the stunning dial.
Yeah that’s what I thought that as well. For such a stunning dial and an annual calendar, I wonder why it doesn’t come with a deployment clasp in the first place. Back when it first came out I had a chance to see the watch but was disappointed by the strap.

I hope Patek kinda follows the OysterFlex/Aquanaut style buckle for their future AC/Calatrava.
Old 11 March 2021, 09:51 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I had the 5205 and I love the gradient blue dial, pierce lugs, conical concave bezel and the white second hand sweeping across the blue dial. The 3 apertures are very easy to read. Overall, this is a very beautiful watch.

Only downside is the lug-to-lug is around 50mm (the 5205 L2L is similar to other Patek 41mm watches), and people with smaller wrist may find the watch too big for them. I recommend you to try it on your wrist first.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why is the strap a total let down? The shiny navy goes very well with the dark blue dial.
Old 11 March 2021, 09:58 AM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Why is the strap a total let down? The shiny navy goes very well with the dark blue dial.
It’s not really the colour... it’s just that for such a high end watch having a tang and buckle strap really takes away the shine of Patek dress watch. If you look at 6006g or 5936g, those come with a deployant clasp with the Patek cross. I just don’t understand why Patek could not offer the deployant clasp with the 5205g instead of a tang and buckle. I know the strap can be changed... but I’m just stubborn and refuse to divert from the original offering.
Old 11 March 2021, 12:50 PM   #10
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Will be making to a trip down to the AD today to take a look. Probably won't be getting it yet but who knows?
Old 11 March 2021, 12:55 PM   #11
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
As others have mentioned. Tried it on couple weeks ago and couldn’t get past that strap. Dial is really nice but I’d have to switch out that strap.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 01:14 PM   #12
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t own it but it’s a favorite of mine. I think it’s a perfect first Patek. It doesn’t get completely crushed on the secondary market and is a good way to start a relationship with an AD. The dial is fantastic and it’s such a useful and beautiful complication.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 01:33 PM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s not really the colour... it’s just that for such a high end watch having a tang and buckle strap really takes away the shine of Patek dress watch. If you look at 6006g or 5936g, those come with a deployant clasp with the Patek cross. I just don’t understand why Patek could not offer the deployant clasp with the 5205g instead of a tang and buckle. I know the strap can be changed... but I’m just stubborn and refuse to divert from the original offering.
There are members here who switched out their deployant clasp for pin buckle. Personally I find the deployant clasp sometimes dig too much into the wrist (during hotter days) and causes a little discomfort in that regard.

From a manufacturer's perspective, maybe they have a certain margin to achieve and since costs have been invested in the case construction so they have to find other place to reduce. That's just a guess. Of course as a consumer I would love my 5205 to have everything.
Old 11 March 2021, 06:26 PM   #14
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
A really beautiful watch that is both modern and unmistakably Patek. I bought new and the AD put mine on the correct strap (FOC) with matching deployant (at cost).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 12:14 AM   #15
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had the 5205 and I love the gradient blue dial, pierce lugs, conical concave bezel and the white second hand sweeping across the blue dial. The 3 apertures are very easy to read. Overall, this is a very beautiful watch.
@Ichiran: "had"? Did you sell your 5205G? Hope not, I know you really liked it, as well you should, it's a great watch.

@Fishrus: Speaking from my own experience (I have the 5205-R version with opaline dial), I think you can't go wrong. Personally, I find this model to be drop-dead good looking, classic style with a modern touch. It wears smaller than the 40mm size would indicate, which I prefer. Very comfortable and even a little casual (for a dress watch).

As for AD vs. Gray: that's up to your own priorities vs. the deal you can obtain from each. The important thing, I think, is to make sure you get the version you will like for the long term (e.g. the G, or R black dial or R opaline dial).

Have fun making your decision. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 12:31 AM   #16
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Went to the AD and this watch blew me away. Expect an incoming soon
Old 12 March 2021, 01:28 AM   #17
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
Nice! Congrats in advance.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 07:34 AM   #18
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
Very nice. Great choice OP!
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 07:42 AM   #19
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Here's my 5205R black dial.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Patek straps either (mainly due to how thick they are and a bit too dressy for me) but its not something I would complain about. It's a pretty standard strap so it's fine. If you want something bespoke or perhaps "better" quality, there are tons of options out there.

I quite like the one I got from A Collected Man and Bulang and Sons (both of which are made by JPM). Jean Rousseau I heard good things about as well.

I also have no issues with the pin buckle strap. Works great and as intended. The deployment is a nice extra (which I also have as well) but I wouldn't need it. A lot of brands do pin buckle so I won't criticize Patek for going with that. Nice and classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp22.jpg (30.7 KB, 715 views)
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2021, 05:22 PM   #20
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Here's my 5205R black dial.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Patek straps either (mainly due to how thick they are and a bit too dressy for me) but its not something I would complain about. It's a pretty standard strap so it's fine. If you want something bespoke or perhaps "better" quality, there are tons of options out there.

I quite like the one I got from A Collected Man and Bulang and Sons (both of which are made by JPM). Jean Rousseau I heard good things about as well.

I also have no issues with the pin buckle strap. Works great and as intended. The deployment is a nice extra (which I also have as well) but I wouldn't need it. A lot of brands do pin buckle so I won't criticize Patek for going with that. Nice and classic.
That's a lovely colour combination. The deployant doesnt bother me too much either. The watch case/dial/layout is the most important as straps can be easily changed
Old 12 March 2021, 08:20 PM   #21
nickif
"TRF" Member

Wise choice!

Just bought it 3 weeks ago when I was checking in with the AD inquiring about my standing on the waitlist of 5167A. I saw it, tried it on without knowing which model it was, and bought it... been wearing it daily since then and it was a very comfortable daily watch.

The lug-to-lug is on the large side however the watch itself wears small, more like 39mm instead of 40mm, probably due to the relatively thick bezel.

Grey market price is better for sure but as someone mentioned if you like it and want to keep it, better buy it at AD as it’s a perfect watch to start a relationship.

P.S. the AD called three days after the purchase asking me to pick up the 5167A! Which made me like the watch even better :P
nickif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 12:27 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There are members here who switched out their deployant clasp for pin buckle. Personally I find the deployant clasp sometimes dig too much into the wrist (during hotter days) and causes a little discomfort in that regard.

From a manufacturer's perspective, maybe they have a certain margin to achieve and since costs have been invested in the case construction so they have to find other place to reduce. That's just a guess. Of course as a consumer I would love my 5205 to have everything.
I prefer tang, even on the mighty 5170p
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 01:33 PM   #23
santiago
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I own this exact watch and find it to be one of my favorites. Several years ago I purchased this watch in the Paris Salon so that experience alone is unique. I own quite a few others, some of the most coveted but for me, this is a classic that I believe will feel right decades from now. It's not my most "valuable and I know others my prefer a different dial configuration but the more time I spend wearing it the better it looks. Yes, the tang is not my favorite, but it's part of the watch as designed and therefore will always stay. Enjoy
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 12:26 AM   #24
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
this is a classic that I believe will feel right decades from now.
This is actually one of the main reason which resonated with me too. One day all my watches are gonna go to my children i hope that they will wear it and not feel that its too dated fashion wise.

Old 14 March 2021, 12:37 AM   #25
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Dbl post

Last edited by Fishrus; 14 March 2021 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Double post
Fishrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 11:09 AM   #26
Chocblackie
"TRF" Member

I prefer the white dial due to the legibility of the dial. I find the darker dials harder to read. That said, I absolutely love the 5205.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Chocblackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 02:01 PM   #27
macplee
"TRF" Member

i got this 3 weeks ago - the blue 013 - and esp in the day time it absolutely sparkles in a good way. With the blue center and darker blue/black on the edges - it really is special to look at. It is also very versatile - i wear it w shorts and tshirt - here in Los angeles - and feel i can wear it with a TUX.

i have sold my 5146 cause it felt too antique and even sold my 6000, but this is very modern in a good way. The buckle is very more fussy but sure feels great on. The strap and all PP leather straps are robust and last a long time.
macplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 11:52 AM   #28
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocblackie View Post
I prefer the white dial due to the legibility of the dial. I find the darker dials harder to read. That said, I absolutely love the 5205.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Stunning! That’s on my wishlist for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:02 AM   #29
Jacksan
Banned

Watch: SkyDweller
Love seeing all three in the wild. Doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any of those color combinations!

I'm envious, enjoy, everyone!
Jacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:25 AM   #30
nickcpl
"TRF" Member

I bought one in 2019. Love it. Beautiful face. The blue tone is one of the best. Would prefer a fold over clasp buckle but never mind. Highly recommend it. Casual wear or formal. And secondary prices holding up well.
nickcpl is offline   Reply With Quote