The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2021, 09:09 AM   #1
EdReh
"TRF" Member

Cost of Ownership

Hi folks.

I'm considering purchasing a new Oyster Perpetual, but as this would be my first Rolex, I want to understand the cost of ownership first.

Rolex recommends having their watches serviced approximately every ten yers, which seems very reasonable for mechanical watch. What experiences have all of you had with getting your Rolex(es) serviced at authorized Rolex service centers? What does such a service typically cost for an undamaged Oyster Perpetual that has been subject to average wear and tear over a decade or so?

For those of you with other brands of watches in your collection, how do your Rolex maintenance costs compare with those other watches? I'm accustomed to paying between $200 and $400 for a clean, lubricate, and adjust service on my other mechanical watches (a 40s Mathey-Tissot manual wind, a 1960 Hamilton automatic, and a 70s Longines automatic).

I'd appreciate any advice or insights you might have before I take the plunge.

Thanks!
EdReh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:28 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex doesn't recommend 10 years, they simply state that this seems to be an average.

You don't need to do anything to your watch, ever, if you don't want to, and you only need to get it serviced when it breaks.

Cost of ownership over a couple of decades is likely cheaper than a 130 bottle Sub-Zero wine cooler.

Put everything into perspective.
Old 8 April 2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've never yet had any brand of watch serviced.

If I break one or it goes wrong, it will go for a service to an authorised service centre.

My oldest decent watch is a scratched and slightly bashed Carrera which is 12 years old. It runs as well as ever, doesn't feel gritty in operation or make any nasty noises. It's not asking to be opened and I'm not going to until it does.

So far my Rolex maintenance costs have been zero on eight watches, the earliest being a 2017 Explorer 2. A 2018 Milgauss suffered a failed main spring and was fixed under warranty by my AD, who is authorised to open Rolex watches under warranty and carry out some types Rolex warranty work.

Each of us can have any of our watches serviced as frequently as we like. Or as infrequently as suits us and our watches. Your money, your choice - unless it breaks.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:47 AM   #4
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Insurance will run $150 a year or so depending on model and location.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:47 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex doesn't recommend 10 years, they simply state that this seems to be an average.
Absolute truth.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I'm at about $100 a year for a Submariner, insurance wise. I assume a lot of factors play into this, but the good news is this insurance generally isn't too bad.

The average maintenance interval on the new Oyster isn't clear yet (movement is still very new). It does have a 5-year warranty so you definitely would not be paying anything for service for at least five years (unless it is user-induced damage, of course.) Generally, Rolexes have a tendency of long service intervals.

The cost of a full service seems to vary by model, but from what I've read here, $600-1,000 for a full overhaul from RSC (for models other than the Daytona) seems to be a pretty reasonable range, and it's obviously less from independent watchmakers.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:22 PM   #7
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
Buy it. Wear it and take pleasure in it daily. At some point in the future - likely many, many years from now if you don’t abuse it - you’ll know that it’s time for service. Send it to an RSC. The cost will probably be more than you’d expect, but they’ll provide a quote. You’ll get it back in like-knew condition inside and out. Or you can specify that it not be polished to retain your hard-earned scuffs and scars. The beauty of owning a Rolex, to me, is that you’ll always be able to have it serviced to the manufacturer’s original specs with genuine Rolex parts. Your OP can truly be perpetual!
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:31 PM   #8
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I bought a used Date and wore it daily for eighteen years without service, it consistently gained five seconds per day over that time. However on a trip to Hawaii a seal failed and I got salt water in it. Sometimes a service isn’t just about how it’s running.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:56 PM   #9
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I've never yet had any brand of watch serviced.

If I break one or it goes wrong, it will go for a service to an authorised service centre.

My oldest decent watch is a scratched and slightly bashed Carrera which is 12 years old. It runs as well as ever, doesn't feel gritty in operation or make any nasty noises. It's not asking to be opened and I'm not going to until it does...
I have a treasured Carrera (Calibre 16), which was my first "nice" watch that is now 15 years old and not serviced either. It is running about 20 seconds fast a day though so it probably needs it.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:59 PM   #10
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
No insurance and I service only when something is wrong. Two of them already running just fine >20 years.

No costs worth mentioning
Old 8 April 2021, 07:57 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
I have a treasured Carrera (Calibre 16), which was my first "nice" watch that is now 15 years old and not serviced either. It is running about 20 seconds fast a day though so it probably needs it.
That's mine too. Day/date with Arabic indices. Just love it - still.

I would put mine in if it was gaining or losing 20s a day. You're right, it probably needs looking at.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:32 PM   #12
byte
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Insurance will run $150 a year or so depending on model and location.
Is it even worth it to consider insuring a cheaper model like a Submariner..?
byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:36 PM   #13
avidflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte View Post
Everything is relative....post can be taking out of context but seems like a snarky post for a new guy.
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:48 PM   #14
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Depends... If I was quoted a few % of market value per year to insure then I would insure. If they wanted 7-10% I will take my chances. It's a personal risk assessment choice.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 8 April 2021, 11:27 PM   #15
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
There’s this old saying about cost: If you have to ask...
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:42 PM   #16
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Out of the 3 watches that I own; I only have had 1 serviced a 34mm DJ; I believe that the service cost was ~$400? Mind you in 11 years of ownership that has been the only cost to owning the watch.

Ongoing costs to these watches are inexpensive, however, if you have a GMT or Sub I 'heard' that service is closer to $1k.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:46 PM   #17
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
That's mine too. Day/date with Arabic indices. Just love it - still.

I would put mine in if it was gaining or losing 20s a day. You're right, it probably needs looking at.
Thanks. Mine though doesn't have a day complication. It does run fast but like yours when I move the gear train by turning the crown, it feels the same as when it was new. It was my daily for many years until Rolex watches came into my life and will forever remain in my collection.

I will get it serviced someday... but for now it sits in my watch case.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:49 PM   #18
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Welcome

Just insurance as a typical re-ocurring cost. I would recommend you add it to your policy.

Services are just suggested. I have watches that were made when service intervals were every 5 years. I still haven't had them serviced, they are > 15 years old now. Mainly because I have a few watches in rotation and some of them may only get worn for a total of 20-30 days per year, spread out through the year.

They keep excellent and consistent time. Once this deviates, I keep a log a few times a year I will get it serviced at a cost of around £500 / $700 USD

Bottom line, don't worry about cost of ownership.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:06 AM   #19
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:

You don't need to do anything to your watch, ever, if you don't want to, and you only need to get it serviced when it breaks.

Cost of ownership over a couple of decades is likely cheaper than a 130 bottle Sub-Zero wine cooler.

Sub Zero is fantastic, this is one of the products we sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:15 AM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Wait lists require no maintiance costs. Okay, I kid, I kid.

OP - I would budget 750-1000 USD every 5 years if wearing daily.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:18 AM   #21
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This. The OP is completely overthinking this, imo.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:22 AM   #22
RunGuy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I bought a used Date and wore it daily for eighteen years without service, it consistently gained five seconds per day over that time. However on a trip to Hawaii a seal failed and I got salt water in it. Sometimes a service isn’t just about how it’s running.
Just out of curiosity, what happens service-wise once something like that happens?
RunGuy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:24 AM   #23
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
That's a personal decision, but it costs me less than 1% of market value to insure for a year. For me, that's a small fee for peace of mind.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 12:54 AM   #24
WBaileyii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/126610LV
Quote:
Assuming we're talking about replacement insurance if it is lost, stolen, fire, etc., then yes even a Submariner is worth insuring. Most home owners/Renters insurance policies have a limit for jewelry, watches, silver, fine art, etc. The limit is usually around $2,000. Figure your deductible is probably $500 or $1,000. That would mean that for your $9 to $10K Submariner, if it is stolen/house fire/etc. you would get $1,000 to $1,500 for it (and that would be for ALL your valuables, not just the watch). Since adding a "Valuable Personal Property (VPP)" rider to your home or renters policy is about $100 a year, it is definitely worth it. My VPP with 3 Rolexes and all my wife's jewelry is only about $125 a year. Of course, this is all for U.S. based insurance. I can't speak to other countries insurance coverage... Bottom line: if your watches, jewelry and other valuables are worth more than the limit on your home/renters policy, then you should have a VPP (and if you have even one Rolex, you're over the limit).
WBaileyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:20 AM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The Rolex website says

“it is recommended to service your watch approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real life usage”

Very reasonable to be honest.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:49 AM   #26
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Most people who have had an entry level stainless steel Rolex for 5-10 years at this point are coming out ahead. The cost of ownership and enjoyment has been negative. If you get an OP41 at retail it's almost a no brainer.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #27
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:

I know there are two very divided camps on the whole service issue with watchmakers chiming in at times, but I am more of the if its keeping reasonable time and working well then I don't want to mess with it.

My oldest at this point is prob 17 or so years, I thought about getting it serviced years ago but just kept putting it off. I don't get it wet though and only wear it occasionally, if I wore it more like it was intended I'd be sure to at least get it checked for water resistance.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 01:58 AM   #28
TXSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batgirl, Hulk, SD4
I have two Datejusts my parents bought in 1980s. They are still running strong and never had a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 02:06 AM   #29
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGuy17 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what happens service-wise once something like that happens?
The local AD on Maui was just a jewelry store with no service and no help at all. By the time I got it back to my local AD at home the insides looked like a cast iron engine block that had been dumped on the edge of a swamp and lay there for years. They offered me $500 trade-in for the carcass and I bought a new Rolex. I got my money’s worth out of that little watch, we had a good run.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2021, 03:00 AM   #30
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
If you plan on going anywhere near water, or humid environments, get your watches serviced every 10 years as Rolex recommends. The crystal gasket, crown gasket and caseback gaskets become dry and lose their elasticity over time. Why risk destroying an expensive watch to save a buck?

In addition, the 31XX caliber movements use a rotor axle that is a wear item that gets replaced during routine service. If you defer maintenance, the lubrication on the rotor axle dries up, and the jeweled bearing begins to cut into the axle. This allows the rotor to wobble, and it will begin to scrape against the bridge plates of the movement. Its not a pretty sight when this happens.

One of the easiest ways to judge if an owner has neglected maintenance on a 31XX movement is to look at the outer edge of the movement plates. If you see brass color peeking through at the rim, this is a clear sign the rotor axle is excessively worn, and the rotor is scraping on the movement. This is the primary reason Rolex changed to a ball bearing supported rotor with the 32XX series. Its a more robust design that is less sensitive to maintenance frequency.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote