The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2021, 03:59 AM   #1
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
New Toy? Not sure... May go look later today.

I have been in the market ( sort of but not really ) for a new toy for a bit now. When I was in highschool, I bought a 1963 Nova SS that I had for about 18 years. When my son was expected and we found out there were going to be medical issues, I sold my car to free up funds. My car has been gone for about 24 years, and I still miss it.

I found another 1963 Nova SS that is relatively local ( within an hours drive or so ) that I may go look at today. I have spoken to the owner a couple of times and received the specifics, but have not seen it yet. It has some good points and some bad... naturally.

I have spoken at length with my girlfriend about it and her opinion is "Buy the car ... You're not over her". She if fully supportive of whatever decision I make. What I am struggling with, is that for the price of the Nova, I could buy something with modern suspension, power steering, power brakes... newer but with less soul.

It will take probably another 15k on top of the initial investment, to get her the way I want her... I am torn.
Old 16 May 2021, 04:06 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Tough call. I’ve never owned a car without power steering so I won’t offer advice lol

Let us know which way you end up going
Old 16 May 2021, 04:07 AM   #3
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Do you need a modern car with power steering, airbags, traction control, etc? My guess is you already have one, so if you want a second toy car, go for it! It sounds like you know what you’re getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 04:15 AM   #4
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Do you need a modern car with power steering, airbags, traction control, etc? My guess is you already have one, so if you want a second toy car, go for it! It sounds like you know what you’re getting into.
Yes, I have a modern car, and yes... I know exactly what I would be getting into. Having had my previous Nova for 18 years... I know the ins and outs of this car.

This is NOT the car... but this is what the car is...

Old 16 May 2021, 04:29 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Go for it, and DOUBLE whatever you think is really gonna get her the way you want. Did that with a Euro spec 308GTS QV. Loved every minute of it. You're turning wrenches yourself on her or ???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #6
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If it’s still on your mind after all this time… I’d say go for it, if it’s not a nightmare to get it to the way you want it. Not to mention, it’ll be a fun project.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 04:41 AM   #7
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Go for it, and DOUBLE whatever you think is really gonna get her the way you want. Did that with a Euro spec 308GTS QV. Loved every minute of it. You're turning wrenches yourself on her or ???
Yes, I would be turning the wrenches. I am in a better position now than was in highschool to be able to do some of the things I wanted to with my previous Nova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
If it’s still on your mind after all this time… I’d say go for it, if it’s not a nightmare to get it to the way you want it. Not to mention, it’ll be a fun project.
It would be less of a nightmare now, than it would have been previously... due to parts availability and better engineering.
Old 16 May 2021, 05:08 AM   #8
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
You are asking the wrong guy here for advice.....do it!! YOLO, besides, the price today is what it is. The longer you wait, the older you get, the more your life depreciates by the second. It sounds like this purchase will not affect your daily life financially wise, so just do it.....you can also ask Seth(Superdog) for his opinion too!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 05:56 AM   #9
swils8610

Go for it! That’s how it was in 1963! Get the full experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:07 AM   #10
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think that this is one of those times that, if you dont do it, you will look back later in life and really regret it.

I didnt know what the car you described looked like until seeing your photo of one similar, it looks fabulous. In your position, I would buy the car.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:18 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Seize the moment.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 01:55 PM   #12
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
My first car in HS was a '62 Chevy II Nova. I think it'd be fun to get it back, only better.
I say if it checks out, go for it.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 05:05 PM   #13
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
just go buy it, I am a classic car nut, you will not regret it more so if you are handy with the spanner. Also the classic car market is hotter then the Rolex game.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 07:00 PM   #14
ludetuner
"TRF" Member

I’d say go for it! I read your post a while ago about your son and him getting a job....here’s your celebration!!
ludetuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 08:36 PM   #15
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Given what the car means to you, the memories you and your sons can create while wrenching on her and the inevitable Sunday drives with your girlfriend, I say go for it.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:56 PM   #16
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
You have already made the decision, just asking us for confirmation of such.

IMO, buy as close to your specifications as possible ! The cost of modifying is not what you remember it to be.
Old 16 May 2021, 10:00 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You have our blessings Paul. I’m looking forward to the incoming
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:16 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have been down the rabbit hole with vintage cars, watches and other items. I would pass on a fifty seven year old car. Maybe the memory of your earlier car is better than the reality of owning another. I would find something else to tinker with and enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 12:05 AM   #19
Greenp
"TRF" Member

When I was in high school, my dad a Chevy Nova (no power steering, drum brakes, 3 speed manual transmission). Even to this day I can remember how difficult it was to parallel park. You'd get an upper body work out.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 01:04 AM   #20
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
I have spoken at length with my girlfriend about it and her opinion is "Buy the car ... You're not over her". She if fully supportive of whatever decision I make.
Your girlfriend knows how to turn a phrase and is obviously a keeper. She already gave you your answer.

Please post pics of the "as is" condition when you pick up your new old classic.
Old 17 May 2021, 02:08 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Some older cars are keepers and some models never were.

This is a great year. Should be fun and a bit of a money pit but I'd do it.

I had friends back in the day that had that model.
Old 17 May 2021, 03:04 AM   #22
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

The girlfriend and I went to see the car yesterday, it's a no go... at least this particular car.

It always amazes me how perceptions vary from person to person. I got the feeling that this guy actually believed what he was saying, although we had very differing opinions.
Car was described as "Rust Free"... what that meant was you couldn't actually see the rust, but the blisters in the paint and holes in the floor boards ( visible from underneath ) tell a different story. Apparently if you can't actually see the color of the rust... it doesn't exist.

"Body is extremely straight, small areas where some body filler was used"... equates to at some point, this car had been hit in the rear quarter rather lightly, but instead of actually doing metal work, there was an area approximately 10" X 18" with body filler at least a 1/2" thick. As well as several other areas where a pretty strong magnet wrapped in a piece of soft cloth, would not maintain adhesion. ( Rockers, rear quarters, front quarter passenger side, lower rear window channel )

"Front end rebuilt recently", meant front end rebuilt in 2003 according to the receipt. I guess in the lifespan of the car... 18 years is relatively recent.

I wasn't there to insult the guy, and I wasn't putting the car down, but when he asked me directly " What do you think of it? Pretty sharp right? " I told him that I thought there was a bit more work involved than I had anticipated.

The guy seemed a bit irritated that I was giving it a thorough once over, and commented " You're being a bit critical, aren't you? The damned thing is 58 years old... it's seen things."

I thanked him for making time to show me the car, and left. The right car is out there... I just have to find it.
Old 17 May 2021, 03:43 AM   #23
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
The girlfriend and I went to see the car yesterday, it's a no go... at least this particular car.

It always amazes me how perceptions vary from person to person. I got the feeling that this guy actually believed what he was saying, although we had very differing opinions.
Car was described as "Rust Free"... what that meant was you couldn't actually see the rust, but the blisters in the paint and holes in the floor boards ( visible from underneath ) tell a different story. Apparently if you can't actually see the color of the rust... it doesn't exist.

"Body is extremely straight, small areas where some body filler was used"... equates to at some point, this car had been hit in the rear quarter rather lightly, but instead of actually doing metal work, there was an area approximately 10" X 18" with body filler at least a 1/2" thick. As well as several other areas where a pretty strong magnet wrapped in a piece of soft cloth, would not maintain adhesion. ( Rockers, rear quarters, front quarter passenger side, lower rear window channel )

"Front end rebuilt recently", meant front end rebuilt in 2003 according to the receipt. I guess in the lifespan of the car... 18 years is relatively recent.

I wasn't there to insult the guy, and I wasn't putting the car down, but when he asked me directly " What do you think of it? Pretty sharp right? " I told him that I thought there was a bit more work involved than I had anticipated.

The guy seemed a bit irritated that I was giving it a thorough once over, and commented " You're being a bit critical, aren't you? The damned thing is 58 years old... it's seen things."

I thanked him for making time to show me the car, and left. The right car is out there... I just have to find it.

Sounds like a goofball waiting to hit the jackpot with this car due to the ever increasing shortage of vehicles world wide. Good thing you walked away. Keep us posted!

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:08 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Remember when I said DOUBLE expected costs to get her as you want. Turning wrenches is fun, but yeah the bones needs to be in good shape imho. Are you doing a full resto down to chassis or ???
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:16 AM   #25
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Sounds like a goofball waiting to hit the jackpot with this car due to the ever increasing shortage of vehicles world wide. Good thing you walked away. Keep us posted!
Yeah, he seemed like the kind of guy who had watched a lot of those car resto shows and thought his car was made of gold. Those shows kind of ruined the market for the average guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Remember when I said DOUBLE expected costs to get her as you want. Turning wrenches is fun, but yeah the bones needs to be in good shape imho. Are you doing a full resto down to chassis or ???
It all depends on the car. You're right about it having to have good bones. If I find a car that hasn't been monkeyed with too much, a clean resto-mod is kind of the direction I would like to go.